As I went through all of the posts in the "How to improve Lakers Discussion" thread, I ran across a few asking about the staff handing out suspensions. Well, unfortunately, we don't have a built-in mod to do this, on the board or in the admin control panel.
However, that won't keep us from creating a system.
Simply put, it's a six-warning system. Think of it as six fouls. For your first three warnings (fouls), you'll be handed a suspension. It's like being benched after your third foul. Most all suspensions are 7 days. After your suspension is up, you'll be "unbanned" and allowed access to the board once again. Three more warnings, which will add up to six total, and you're slapped with a permanent ban (or, if your Danny Fortson, you're EJECTED). Applying it to the game of basketball isn't just fun, but all of you will remember the number, so there will be no confusion.
You may ask, "Six warnings is a lot...right?" Yes, it is. Fortunately, we are going to step up our game a bit, and warn more often. A handful will hate this, but most should love it, because it will quickly make an impact not only by eliminating the problem, but by making the entire community aware of the consequences.
With that said, warnings will be given out for the following:
- Personal attacks. Calling someone a loser is a personal attack. If you tell someone to "stop being dumb," we consider this a borderline personal attack, and depending on the severity of that member's response, we'll deal with it accordingly.
- Baiting. Nobody is allowed to post anything that intentionally stirs up a fan's emotions. This does not only include non-Laker fans, either; baiting a Kings fan who registers to discuss topics here is still against the guidelines.
- Inappropriate behavior/posting. Obviously, if you're making unnecessary posts and doing it frequently, a staff member will stop you in your tracks. It's okay to have fun in the forums, but don't go overboard.
- No response to sig guidelines. Remember, we know when you're active, and we know when the PM's are read. If your sig is too large, or inappropriate, and we ask you to remove it, it's best to just comply and move on.
- Any other instances of breaking the guidelines. This includes file sharing, post-padding in discussion threads, etc.
Keep in mind that the suspension system is tossed out the window in certain instances, such as posting an inappropriate picture, making severe, derogatory remarks (ex. racial slurs, malicious threats), and spamming (please look this word up if you don't know what it really means). In most cases, these are like Flagrant 2 fouls. In other words, you're ejected from the board.
The staff will keep track of all warnings. Two selected from the staff will keep these warnings on their own computers, to avoid losing them to a server crash, if we were to track them publically. For each warning given out, your post will be edited with the moderator warning in green, then quoted in the thread, so it is clearly visible not only to you, but to everyone. There will be no PM's sent out for personal attacks or baiting. The reason for this is because we figure that, if you're going to resort to those in a thread, you're going to come back and see your warning. If not, you should still know the rules.
I'll be happy to answer any questions about the system in this thread.