Ads that auto-play audio

Ads that auto-play audio

Postby JGC on Fri May 17, 2013 3:13 pm

*sigh*

Anyone else having issues with ads that auto-play audio? Here I am sitting at my desk at work, and sure, I should probably be working but, all of a sudden an ad for Febreze starts playing (and of course my speakers happened to be on quite loud) and for the life of me, I can't figure out where it is coming from.

Pandora? Nope, didn't have it running.

ESPN? Nope.

Youtube? Nope.

CL? Yep. Skyscraper banner that runs below the fold (so it's hard to see) unless you scroll down. Can we get rid of any ads that automatically play audio? I'm pretty sure most people who browse CL at work would prefer we get rid of these.
JGC

Re: Ads that auto-play audio

Postby thkthebest on Fri May 17, 2013 4:16 pm

I've seen this on other sites, but not on CL. Usually, audio only starts to play if your mouse hovers over the ad.
thkthebest

Postby JGC on Fri May 17, 2013 4:42 pm

thkthebest wrote:I've seen this on other sites, but not on CL. Usually, audio only starts to play if your mouse hovers over the ad.

Definitely did not mouse over it because I couldn't even see it. It was well below the fold (it's the tall thin one that sits way at the bottom right of the page).

They had a problem with this a while back with a "You've won an Apple iPhone" or something ad and that's been long gone and hadn't had that problem again until today with that Febreze ad.
JGC

Postby JGC on Sat May 18, 2013 7:41 am

Add another ad to the mix. This time, not the one at the bottom but the one higher up. It was an ad for Progressive.
JGC

Postby karacha on Sun May 19, 2013 6:58 am

Block them.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:57 am

Adding another ad to the mix. An office depot sky scraper. Started blasting out of my speakers and just about scared the poo poo out of me. Haha.
JGC

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Do you not have ad blocker on your work browser? I'd suggest that.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Ras Algethi wrote:Do you not have ad blocker on your work browser? I'd suggest that.

Nope. Security policies prevent installation of unauthorized software and ad blockers are not on the approved list. Why cant we just get rid of ads that are a detriment to the experience?
JGC

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 am

We've explained this to you so many times, JGC. "Why can't we?" No one has access.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JGC on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:30 am

trodgers wrote:We've explained this to you so many times, JGC. "Why can't we?" No one has access.

That isn't true. The ads don't exist outside of "our" control. They were placed there. "We" choose which ad networks to partner with. We could, for instance, opt not to utilize ad networks that feature ads that auto play audio.
JGC

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:53 am

I'll tell you what: you opt to do that. Tell me what results. Then I'll try to opt, but I'll realize I cannot opt to do things outside my control. I can wish and hope, but I can't opt.

CL isn't readily available. He is THE person who can do something about this problem. I recommend exercising self-control and avoiding the site while at work. We can no longer guarantee that problems like these will be fixed in a timely fashion. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 am

It is not our responsibility to keep the volume down on the ads on the site anyway. That's your responsibility. Why not turn your speakers down at work? That seems like the easiest solution of all.

Or you know, downloading AdBlock which takes seconds and effectively keeps ads from popping onto your screen.

You've been given two solutions. If you can't follow through with two easy, free solutions, then we aren't going to respond any more to your requests for assistants. Like trodgers has said, the mods on this site are here to maintain the integrity of the content of the site. NOT to police which ads we do and do not use to fund the site. That's CL's job. If you have a problem, take it up with him. He'll likely tell you the same thing trodgers did: if you don't like it, don't visit the site at work.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 am

FIrst off, I didn't ask for an assistant. Why would you even say that? I'm perfectly fine browsing the site without help. Jeez.

Second, this isn't/wasn't a plea to the mods. It was to inform the site leaders of a behavior that a typical forum would consider undesirable (ads the automatically play audio). This is very common, in fact, if interested, I can supply a list of publishers and advertisers who consider these ad types to be intrusive and have documented it as such. It's a filter out option -- for a reason! If management of the ad platform is out of your jurisdiction, then fine, I understand. Then maybe just consider these comments left for those who are empowered to do something about it. Cool?

Third, I already said that I (and I presume some others) cannot install 3rd party software due to security policies on my work machine. So the suggestion of AdBlocker isn't useful for me.

Lastly, if there is the belief out there that "nothing can be done about this" -- that simply isn't true. Ad platforms offer publishers the ability to filter out unwanted ad types. Popular choices are adult themed ads, gambling ads, provocative or suggestive advertising, warning type ads, auto pop-up type ads and oh yes, auto-playing audio ads (also referred to as "Uninitiated Audio" ad types in the industry).

And what do you mean take it up with him? I thought this forum existed as a single destination to post overall site feedback. All I'm doing is providing feedback about an unwanted behavior. I'm not the first to do this (see links below), though, I am the first to be told to just not use the site.

Also, I disagree with you about what CL would say. He would, when he has the chance, try to get rid of the ads that play uninitiated audio. He's gotten rid of them in the past don't cha know? In fact, he's explicitly stated so!

Right now I have pre-blocked Audio, Adult and Flashing.

Here's a list of just some of the threads I found detailing other posters comments about the same issue (they're from the past, but they've been handled, as opposed to being told to buzz off). This isn't like some isolated and specific-to-me issue -- it is shared by many, many others.

http://www.clublakers.com/site-rules/ads-with-audio-playing-automatically-t126343.html
http://www.clublakers.com/site-rules/omg-way-talking-smilie-t113987.html
http://www.clublakers.com/site-rules/obnoxious-pop-ups-and-wii-ads-t107855.html
http://www.clublakers.com/site-rules/congratulations-t104007.html
http://www.clublakers.com/site-rules/audio-ads-are-back-t91909.html

So based on what CL has said in the past, I highly doubt he would suggest to the users that if they don't like ads that automatically play audio that they should not use the site. Rather, I think he totally gets it that this is a poor user experience and would welcome the feedback to drive positive change for this site and community. So until he states otherwise, I'll continue to provide him the feedback about ads that are violating his policies and when he gets a chance he handle it (or not handle it) accordingly.
JGC

Postby Weezy on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Now you know CL better than the staff and people who have been here way longer than you and have actually dealt with him. :man10: It is hard to get responses from CL these days, of course that is not a knock on him and we are glad he keeps this site running for us, it's just a fact. It was hard to finally get the iTunes redirecting ads and pop up ads under control and that seems to finally have been taken care of. Ads that play audio, same issue, takes time, though I never get them from this site on my comp, so I'm not sure why you do. What trodgers and realdeal are saying is we have zero ability to fix this, only CL does. And while you have dug up threads in the past while he responded (great use of free time there by the way), he doesn't do that anymore. As trodgers said, he "isn't readily available", it can take a long time to get a single response from him from a PM, so if you think you can speed it up and get this fixed by contacting him directly via PM you are welcome to contact him.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:31 pm

And you know.. You can always turn down the volume on your work computer when not doing actual work.

That always helps.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:52 pm

I hear there are other interesting Lakers fan sites.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby TIME on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:55 pm

trodgers wrote:I hear there are other interesting Lakers fan sites.

Lies, all lies!
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Like which ones?
JGC

Postby JGC on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Weezy wrote:Now you know CL better than the staff and people who have been here way longer than you and have actually dealt with him. :man10: It is hard to get responses from CL these days, of course that is not a knock on him and we are glad he keeps this site running for us, it's just a fact. It was hard to finally get the iTunes redirecting ads and pop up ads under control and that seems to finally have been taken care of. Ads that play audio, same issue, takes time, though I never get them from this site on my comp, so I'm not sure why you do. What trodgers and realdeal are saying is we have zero ability to fix this, only CL does. And while you have dug up threads in the past while he responded (great use of free time there by the way), he doesn't do that anymore. As trodgers said, he "isn't readily available", it can take a long time to get a single response from him from a PM, so if you think you can speed it up and get this fixed by contacting him directly via PM you are welcome to contact him.

Thanks Weezy. It hasn't happened since my last post mentioning it so that's good at least.
JGC

Postby gcclaker on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:And you know.. You can always turn down the volume on your work computer when not doing actual work.

That always helps.

Yes, mine goes up to "11"... :man1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:31 am

JGC wrote:

Like which ones?

Google it.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby John3:16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:02 am

JGC wrote:

Like which ones?

I heard http://www.anywherebutCLforthesanityoftheboard.com is a good site.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 am

trodgers wrote:
JGC wrote:

Like which ones?

Google it.

Ok, i did and it gave me a list of Laker related sites. Which ones are the ones you're saying are interesting?
JGC

Postby Kasumi on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Looks like there was an update on the ads. For what it's worth, looking at the source code, there's a line that says:
addBlockingCategories="Adult,Flashing,Audio";

So audio ads should be a thing of the past.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby trodgers on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:42 pm

CL doin' work.
trodgers
Site Manager

Next

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments