Curse filter

Curse filter

Postby 24K GOLD on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Why do we have the curse filter when it's mostly consenting adults (no sexual comparisons please) posting here?
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Re: Curse filter

Postby Barnstable on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:52 am

Because the site is supposed to be family friendly. Doesn't always work out that way, but that's the goal.

Plus keep in mind, there are some adults in here that have said they like CL specifically because there is no cursing here. Not everyone likes, or wants to curse.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:43 am

Cursing isn't healthy for your soul.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Snake Eyes on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Barnstable wrote:Because the site is supposed to be family friendly. Doesn't always work out that way, but that's the goal.

Plus keep in mind, there are some adults in here that have said they like CL specifically because there is no cursing here. Not everyone likes, or wants to curse.

You know, I have to agree with this. I once joined a forum where cursing was not only allowed but pratically encouraged. After spending a day reading how posters interacted with each other it was simply ugly. People would swear at each other and attack each other without punishment. The whole forum was basically anarchy and to be honest, I like that CL is a pretty clean and respectable place.
Snake Eyes

Postby KB24 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 am

I agree with Barns.

Sometimes I go to other forums and I see people flamming each other with the worst stuff and I'm like WTH...this is garbage.

Here on CL you can use stuff like WTF or this dumbass...I think those are not cursing anymore, thats just part of the language that EVERYONE (adult or not) uses when they speak freely. I think opening the gates would only do harm. I really don't want to read through a forum where I just read curse.

I know people sometimes bypass the filter, especifically in gameday threads...thats fine though. Because

1. they are emotional during the game
2. nobody usually reads through those threads, its more like a live chat.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby trodgers on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 am

Actually we have a ton of members who are not age of consent. That on top of the rest.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby nameant on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:29 am

It took me like a week to get used to but after that, I didn't even think about it. If you can't communicate with others without cursing, there's something wrong with your vocabulary.
nameant

Postby 24K GOLD on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:55 am

I understand the need to delete posts with has too many curse words but what's wrong with being able to utter "what the [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]" in a forum?
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Well when it's supposed to family friendly and age appropriate, that kind of language is frowned upon. You can use the acronyms if you'd like or the **** technique which conveys the same message.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:09 am

without the curse filter we would never have seen "freak the doe," that alone should be enough to keep it in place
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:17 am

:man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kasumi on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 am

nameant wrote:If you can't communicate with others without cursing, there's something wrong with your vocabulary.

+1

I've been on forums that allow cursing and it's difficult to read some of the posts because some people truly don't know how to communicate without cursing. Use your words and if you can't, use *** and we'll get the idea.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby Kasumi on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:52 am

For one thing, it's just more polite and respectful to other posters. Second, it forces people to at least attempt to convey an idea without cursing. I only wish there was a baiting filter so that your response would have been filtered as well.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby trodgers on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:32 am

An important part (but not all) of offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder. So the fact that you can't see how something is offensive should be good reason for you to be even more aware of the fact that others are offended by it.

Let me explain it linguistically, because you went there. Good and excellent are both terms of approval, but one is stronger than the other. There are times it would be appropriate to say that something was good but not excellent. It would be inappropriate because one of the terms carries a stronger denotation than the other.

Prostitute and a four letter word starting with an S are synonyms in terms of denotation, but clearly one has a very different connotation than the other. If you can't see how saying one of those terms around little children could be problematic, then simply heed these two pieces of advice.

First, for the sake of CL, those are the rules. If you break them, you'll be punished.

Second, for the sake of living your life, know that you'll offend people and people will dislike you as a result.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Weezy on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I like the site without cursing honestly. Clearly we don't NEED to curse to carry on good discussions or this place wouldn't function as well as it does and IMO its one of the best discussion forums around and I think no cursing contributes to that. I think it also helps arguments from getting out of hand a lot of the time, simply not being able to throw certain words out there in anger or the heat of the moment. I curse in real life sometimes, I'm not someone who does it often or I'm everyday speech really, and I know pretty much everyone does at some point, but I feel like if you NEED to curse you should maybe look into expanding your vocabulary instead. I don't mean that to sound offensive if it did, I just mean plenty of circumstances in life call for no cursing, if you can't live without it I don't know what to tell you, shouldn't be that hard.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby strikemode14 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:58 am

Some of the moderation staff has already touched on this but I'll say it as well.

Not having cursing here brings the quality of the discussion to a higher level. It also prevents discussions from getting out of hand as no one likes being cursed out. This also a family friendly site as well so don't want too much cursing.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:39 pm

After the first few weeks I was registered here, I don't even notice the lack of swearing on this site. I'm not PC at all, but I understand the wider appeal of the site in general without cursing to younger and more conservative fans. If we can't make our points without obsenities, then we should find a way to be more articulate.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:49 am

Wiz said "Fiddlesticks". :man10: :man10: :man10:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments