I hate how things are organized here

I hate how things are organized here

Postby tha son on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:30 am

Why do we have to have ALL the Ron Artest news in the sole Ron Artest thread? You guys have a humongous thread for every single topic which just goes for pages upon pages and makes it ridiculously hard to keep up with the info in regards to the newest news.

Not to mention there's never any new threads anymore since they're all just put into giant mega threads that are already around. Would it hurt that much to let every new article have it's own thread and get ten or so replies which we can keep up with, then let it die out like most threads?
tha son

Postby Steve on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 am

I agree so much, it's not even funny.
Steve

Re: I hate how things are organized here

Postby westcoast21 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 am

tha son wrote:Why do we have to have ALL the Ron Artest news in the sole Ron Artest thread? You guys have a humongous thread for every single topic which just goes for pages upon pages and makes it ridiculously hard to keep up with the info in regards to the newest news.

Not to mention there's never any new threads anymore since they're all just put into giant mega threads that are already around. Would it hurt that much to let every new article have it's own thread and get ten or so replies which we can keep up with, then let it die out like most threads?

Whats funny is that if we didnt have that thread. Lakers discussion would have threads for Marion and Artest top to bottom.
westcoast21

Postby KGB on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:33 am

This could possibly go in the suggestions forum (haha better put it in the right place :man9: ) but it's good for discussion.
Last edited by KGB on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby koexist on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:33 am

I don't have a problem as how things are organized here, as a matter of fact I think its less cluttering topic-wise. Good job CL mods. :jam2:
koexist

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:35 am

westcoast21 wrote:Whats funny is that if we didnt have that thread. Lakers discussion would have threads for Marion and Artest top to bottom.

Exactly. There are 2 sides to the coin here.

We do our best to stay on top of all new news and update the title of threads to keep them up to date & keep our members informed.

It's the lesser evil here because the alternative would be 20 different threads for every new article posted on a subject. The organization seems to be the lesser headache to keep all discussion localized.

I'll move this thread to the Site Suggestion Forum so everyone can discuss it further if you'd like. We're always open to suggestions to make CL as user-friendly as possible.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Showtime08 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:35 am

I like it because the first page has all the articles and updates.
Showtime08

Postby kray28 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:36 am

Because it's better than having a separate freaking thread about every little new bit of information in the epic saga of the Ron-Ron.

It's much better to have it one single accessible place. If it weren't the case, we'd have 10 new Artest threads popping up each day, many of them redundant and repeating the same already posted information and having to be locked or moved.

Kudos to the mods for good forum management.
Last edited by kray28 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
kray28

Postby daco_inc on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:36 am

I'm sure there are other boards where you can make all the Ron Artest threads you want.
"The Doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity"-John Adams
"I've examined all the known superstitions of the world and I don't find
in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They're all alike founded on fables and mythology"-Thomas Jefferson
"There's one notable thing about our Christianity: bad, bloody, merciless, money-grabbing, and predatory"-Mark Twain
daco_inc

Postby strikemode14 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:47 am

we do this becuase we don't want 100 topics on artest. Not to mention topics like.

I think artest would be a good player becuase.

or another

Artest should be dealt for odom

or another

Artest for odom/famar why we s hould etc

All nice thoughts but, no way should be a whole freaking thread.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou

]
strikemode14
Forum Manager

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:33 pm

No new threads? It's the middle of the day, when a lot of people are at work, and we have 7 topics in LD alone with posts in the last hour, another 7 with posts since midnight. Why not take a look at the other fora? We have everything neatly laid out so if you're looking for something, you should know where to look.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Shadow on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:15 pm

I'd rather keep it the way we have it rather than having the forum flooded looking like this...

-Ron Artest wants to retire as a King
-Ron Artest wants out
-Nevermind he doesnt
-Oh wait he really does
-Ron Artest loves Kobe
-As well as Phil Jackson
-Miami looking to trade Marion
-Miami wants to keep Marion
-Miami is confused on what to do with Marion
-Marion wants to get paid
-How about Artest for Odom and Vlad Rad
-Wait a minute nevermind how about Odom and Ariza for Artest
-Dammit what was I thinking, how about Odom and Luke for Artest
-Can we sign Artest for the MLE?
-What the hell am I thinking, we're the Lakers, can we sign him for free?

You get the point? I would hate to see a forum with topics being flooded with these kinds of topics, its not hard to follow if you read the instructions on page one of the forum which will lead to the latest articles and news.
Shadow

Postby Chicano on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 pm

Showtime08 wrote:I like it because the first page has all the articles and updates.
Chicano

Postby Klewfish on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:14 pm

As long as new news is updated in the first post like the Bynum thread, the mega-threads help will clutter. I do hate having mega-threads where you have to look through 20 pages to find the latest article or tidbit. It definitely helps when the actual news is updated in the first post.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Klewfish
ClubNetsHoops.com Administrator

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:06 pm

All you have to do is read the first post of those mega threads. It's all updated and summarized there.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby tjlakers on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:12 pm

I could not agree with the original poster more; the moderators WAY overmoderate this forum, making it a pain to read and write about Lakers news.

Consolidating all threads that arguably relate to the same issue (e.g., possibility of Ron Artest becoming a Laker, and all things Ron Artest) is TERRIBLE practice. It's analogous to demanding that 5,000 people in a giant auditorium participate in the same conversation. Lots of shouting, but rarely is there much real dialogue. Instead, someone raises a issue, someone else raises a different issue, and so on. There's no natural rhythm or development of the conversation because most people are chipping in with non sequiturs.

It would be FAR better practice for the moderators to exercise a little restraint. Let conversations progress naturally. If someone wants to raise a particular take on the Ron Artest saga in a different thread, let them. If there's enough interest in that take, the thread will survive. If it's redundant, the thread will likely die on its own.

If you want to keep an ongoing update regarding news stories, BY ALL MEANS do that on the front page, or place the update in a sticky at the top of the forum, but don't stymie conversations just because they arguably relate to a prior thread. I can't tell you how many times I've seen interesting threads get locked and the original poster told to put the message in the MEGA thread. Rarely does that happen. Instead, the interesting point is lost to the black void of the internet, and the MEGA thread continues on, one random post after the other, with little or no real communication.
tjlakers

Postby tjlakers on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:23 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
westcoast21 wrote:Whats funny is that if we didnt have that thread. Lakers discussion would have threads for Marion and Artest top to bottom.

Exactly. There are 2 sides to the coin here.

We do our best to stay on top of all new news and update the title of threads to keep them up to date & keep our members informed.

It's the lesser evil here because the alternative would be 20 different threads for every new article posted on a subject. The organization seems to be the lesser headache to keep all discussion localized.

I'll move this thread to the Site Suggestion Forum so everyone can discuss it further if you'd like. We're always open to suggestions to make CL as user-friendly as possible.

This is an important enough issue (I've stopped reading this forum as much as I used to in large part because the thread management is so poor, and I doubt I'm alone) that it should be left in the main forum as well as the suggestions forum, which people are much less likely to browse.

And to respond briefly to your fear that we would inevitably have 20 different threads for "every new article posted on a subject." Then consolidate posts that directly relate to the new article into the same thread. Don't force the new article thread into the old mega thread, where many if not most browsers won't bother to look.

Use some common sense. Defer a bit more to the marketplace of ideas. If users find a topic interesting and non-redundant, they'll post in that thread. If they don't, they won't.
tjlakers

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:14 pm

tjlakers wrote:I could not agree with the original poster more; the moderators WAY overmoderate this forum, making it a pain to read and write about Lakers news.

Consolidating all threads that arguably relate to the same issue (e.g., possibility of Ron Artest becoming a Laker, and all things Ron Artest) is TERRIBLE practice. It's analogous to demanding that 5,000 people in a giant auditorium participate in the same conversation. Lots of shouting, but rarely is there much real dialogue. Instead, someone raises a issue, someone else raises a different issue, and so on. There's no natural rhythm or development of the conversation because most people are chipping in with non sequiturs.

It would be FAR better practice for the moderators to exercise a little restraint. Let conversations progress naturally. If someone wants to raise a particular take on the Ron Artest saga in a different thread, let them. If there's enough interest in that take, the thread will survive. If it's redundant, the thread will likely die on its own.

If you want to keep an ongoing update regarding news stories, BY ALL MEANS do that on the front page, or place the update in a sticky at the top of the forum, but don't stymie conversations just because they arguably relate to a prior thread. I can't tell you how many times I've seen interesting threads get locked and the original poster told to put the message in the MEGA thread. Rarely does that happen. Instead, the interesting point is lost to the black void of the internet, and the MEGA thread continues on, one random post after the other, with little or no real communication.

Not all Ron Artest things go in the same thread. There are threads comparing Artest with others in LD and there are Artest threads in NBA Discussion.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Kingsama on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 pm

In the past the LD has become so cluttered with nonsensical threads that should have been combined that i rarely went in there because all i would see was 10 threads on the same hot rumor, 4 threads filled with complaining or railing against a laker player, 4 threads pie in the skying or praiseing the player being railed against, any number of "what if" trade idea threads, and maybe 2 more random threads. The mods have done an OUTSTANDING job cleaning it up and i applaud their efforts. I can actually read the LD, and shockingly the LR forum.

Keep it up mod squad!!! thanks for making CL great again...
Kingsama

Postby tjlakers on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:47 pm

trodgers wrote:
tjlakers wrote:I could not agree with the original poster more; the moderators WAY overmoderate this forum, making it a pain to read and write about Lakers news.

Not all Ron Artest things go in the same thread. There are threads comparing Artest with others in LD and there are Artest threads in NBA Discussion.

Really? I just checked the first three pages of LD. The only threads mentioning Artest have been locked. If there's a Ron Artest thread in LD that hasn't been locked, it's either under a thread name that doesn't mention the words "Ron" or "Artest," or it's on page 875. A casual browser (which includes the vast majority of folks) would never find it.

And my point wasn't that there isn't every now and then a post the moderators decline (or forget) to mash down the throat of the all-encompassing mega threads. My point is that the moderators do so too often.
tjlakers

Postby trodgers on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:58 pm

These two are on the first page of LD.

This one compares Odom to a couple SFs, notably Artest
http://www.clublakers.com/forums/lamar-odom-is-more-valuable-t99642.html

This one talks about Artest vs. Odom in terms of impact
http://www.clublakers.com/forums/kind-words-for-lakers-not-lamar-odom-t99599.html

As long as it's not really redundant, in terms of the likelihood of him coming to LA, it should stay open. I'm not a fan of the "mashing down the throat" phrase. I think some of you forget what a thankless job this is too often. I don't think anyone has an agenda and I'm mildly sick of hearing things like this. Not criticism, mind you. I'm sick of hearing the tone with which some of these things are written. It's as if some of you believe we sit around and plot to make the lives of posters miserable.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Satan on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:02 pm

I love it the way it is.

The mega Ron thread is concerning Ron coming to LA. No need for a separate thread on that every time some two bit journalist writes a couple lines in a two page article that mentions the possibility. If you wish to discuss something different concerning Ron, a new thread would be appropriate and not locked.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:11 pm

The truth of the matter is regardless of what we do, we won't be able to please everyone. It's impossible with such a large member base (11,900 as it currently stands). You'll have 5 people come in here saying how much they detest how we moderate the site and then another 5 saying how they love it and it's the only reason they're here or the only reason they started posting again. If we tried to please everyone we would drive ourselves insane.

So our goal is to make this as member friendly as possible and easy to navigate through. We have guides up all over the place. And in these "mega" threads we do our best to keep them as updated as possible so you can know exactly where to find the latest information on that particular subject.

And it's not like we have 15 threads, one for each player on the roster and everything else posted gets locked and redirected to there.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Chicano on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:32 am

JSM wrote:The truth of the matter is regardless of what we do, we won't be able to please everyone.
Exactly and that applies to life as well, everything. There will always be differences in opinion on anything. The best decision one could make is to follow the majority. If you strongly believe in what you believe in however, sometimes there are exceptions.

In this case however, for this particular situation, it should stay as is. So far, from the folks I've talked to concerning this, the overwhelming majority have agreed it's fine as is with a few less people disagreeing.
Chicano

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments