IGNORE option possible?

IGNORE option possible?

Postby fahrique on Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:19 am

It seems like an IGNORE option/button could really serve CL well. There's so many instances, especially in LD, where threads get derailed because of attack and retaliation posts (yes, I'm guilty of this too). If there were an ignore option, allowing members to simply eliminate from their pages all posts from people that they know are just going to antagonize them -- well, I suspect it would clean up a lot, and bring the attack/retaliation posts to a minimum.

The so-called "Kobe-Jockers" could post their opinions w/o the so-called "Kobe-Haters" derailing their discussion, and vice-versa.

The Bynum Defenders could post their opinions w/o the Bynum Haters derailing their discussion, and vice-versa.

And Dee_J could post in a void.

I guess the expected response against an ignore option would be that this is a forum geared toward expanding discussion, not quashing it, and I can understand that -- we don't want a boring site filled with yes-men who all agree with each other, and well-dished out smack is fun for all. But there does seem to be a large number of members who do appreciate and value varying opinions and yet could definitely do without the persistently antagonizing ones. It just seems like it's an option worth considering or experimenting with, as I believe the only discussion an ignore option would quash are the attacks and retaliation.

For whatever it's worth, it works great in online multi-player video games.
fahrique

Postby Satan on Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:59 pm

Sorry dude, I promise I'll stop posting naked pictures of myself, you don't have to ignore me.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:54 pm

An ignore function would be very useful. It'll cut down on a lot of the mindless off topic banter.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:03 pm

It would also be extremely confusing. Trying to read topics where you see members replying and quoting to someone you have blocked, it would be a mess.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby TIME on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:41 pm

I have an amazing ignore device that I use, but it is not available for download. It is called my brain. It has this very handy function of scanning a thread as I read it and filtering out the people I want to ignore.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Massacre on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:42 pm

TIME wrote:I have an amazing ignore device that I use, but it is not available for download. It is called my brain. It has this very handy function of scanning a thread as I read it and filtering out the people I want to ignore.

:bow:

You beat me to expressing that - in a much different context however. I got a kick out of that, though.
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Postby fahrique on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:56 pm

TIME wrote:I have an amazing ignore device that I use, but it is not available for download. It is called my brain. It has this very handy function of scanning a thread as I read it and filtering out the people I want to ignore.

Yes, this is very true, and I fully admit it's my own fault for not exercising that function in my own brain. In the case of some members I just can't help it. Reading their comments is like watching Britney Spears at the VMA, or a slow motion train wreck. As hard as I try I just can't look away.
:bang:
fahrique

Postby Black Sheep91 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:31 pm

JSM wrote:It would also be extremely confusing. Trying to read topics where you see members replying and quoting to someone you have blocked, it would be a mess.

exactly
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby JuanoLAL on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:39 pm

:man10: Serious?

lazy -adj: averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent.
JuanoLAL

Postby fahrique on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Critter wrote:
JSM wrote:It would also be extremely confusing. Trying to read topics where you see members replying and quoting to someone you have blocked, it would be a mess.

exactly

But that's why I included the word "option". With one simple click you could turn it on and off at will. Just because the option is there doesn't mean you have to use it. If it's too confusing, opt not to use it. And if I chose to use it, why would anyone else worry or care if I got confused?

I imagine some members would find it quite useful. I sure would. Like I said, I've played a few online multiplayer games, and it's a tremendous tool in that regard.
fahrique

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments