Political Forum?

Political Forum?

Postby T I on Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:07 pm

With the election two months away, how about a politics forum to debate issues and candidates, post some editorials etc.
Laker Fan since 1954
T I

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:10 pm

I like that idea. There are WAY too many threads in Open Court dealing with politics. We tried to make an "official" thread about politics, but it didn't work. There are literally about 20 different threads about politics right now in the Open Court forum that have been started in the last couple of weeks and they basically take up half a page it seems like.

Postby SWOL on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:13 am

TALKING POLITICS IS ASKING FOR FLAME WARS, THE RULES ON THAT SHOULD BE CLEARLY POSTED IF SUCH A FORUM IS CREATED
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby FirstLady on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:07 pm

There have been many requests for other forums (although maybe not as important as a political one), but I believe CL feels there are enough forums already and does not want to overload the site by creating anymore "non-Lakers/B-Ball related." I could be wrong, but I believe he's stated that a few times.
FirstLady
Clublakers Queen (1st Female)

Postby JSM on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:09 pm

I don't think this would be such a good idea. I think it would be a breading ground for flaming and personal attacks. It is very hard for some to debate politics without offending someone. It's just asking for trouble and would end up getting some members banned probably. In theory it sounds good, but I don't think anyone would like the final results.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby RHCP on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:11 pm

just make a thread for it in open court
RHCP
2nd Cousin of Cherokee Parks

Postby GuRu on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:13 pm

I suggest more talk about Lakers and less about politics....
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby SMUnderground on Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:26 pm

POLITICS WILL JUST MAKE UP FLAMING AND HATRATE I DON'T EVEN THINK WE SHOULD CREATE TOPICS ABOUT POLITICS..
SMUnderground

Postby grego on Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:43 am

FirstLady wrote:There have been many requests for other forums (although maybe not as important as a political one), but I believe CL feels there are enough forums already and does not want to overload the site by creating anymore "non-Lakers/B-Ball related." I could be wrong, but I believe he's stated that a few times.

Well Kobe is innocent now. No need really for that forum since he can't be tried anymore to be put in jail.
grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby BDG on Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:18 pm

grego wrote:
FirstLady wrote:There have been many requests for other forums (although maybe not as important as a political one), but I believe CL feels there are enough forums already and does not want to overload the site by creating anymore "non-Lakers/B-Ball related." I could be wrong, but I believe he's stated that a few times.

Well Kobe is innocent now. No need really for that forum since he can't be tried anymore to be put in jail.
Yeah, but there's the civil trial, which is the only reason we're keeping that forum open for now.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby rydjorker121 on Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:13 pm

Maybe just a temporary polticial forum would work only talking about the election...after all, most of us are American, I would assume, and keep track on the Kerry/Bush race. However, the fear is that divisive political issues concerning both nominees are raised and flame wars can start easily. That's why I think we should stick with the election, not digress into the Russian explosions, terrorists, Al-Qaeda, etc. etc. And if problems start in the forum, lock the threads immediately. It's only temporary anyway.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby T I on Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:25 pm

Being afraid of flame wars says more about the users than the forum imo.
Laker Fan since 1954
T I

Postby GuRu on Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:03 pm

whats an election? :man11:
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby GuRu on Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:04 pm

T I wrote:Being afraid of flame wars says more about the users than the forum imo.

but remember, this site is about lakers not politics......if people want to talk politics there are PLENTY of forums to choose from....
GuRu
Better Than You

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments