Reputation System

Reputation System

Postby Propulsion on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:49 pm

What if we have a reputation system where people are repped for positive posts and negged for detrimental posts? That way, when someone with a good rep starts a thread, it's most likely legit. In addition, we can make it so that only members with a certain amount of rep points can rep or neg others. That way we don't have trolls negging someone for no reason.
Propulsion

Postby BDG on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:19 pm

I'm not opposed to the idea. In fact, it would probably make people more accountable for their posts and force them to contribute positively.

Not sure if you can implement it into phpBB, but let's see if y'all want it first. :man1:
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby nameant on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:45 pm

I'd be down for that. Like the idea of limiting who can rep who. Like you said, so we dont have trolls being trolls. Maybe if a member had such a poor rating, they shouldnt be allowed to create a thread until their rating went up. I think it would encourage every1 to act a little more mature and think about what they post.
nameant

Postby Klewfish on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:35 pm

Maturity is the keyword here, and I don't think it would be possible to conduct this maturely. I can already see, "Ohh I don't agree with your opinion, -1" happening all over the place. If this privilege was given, it would have to be extremely restricted.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Klewfish
ClubNetsHoops.com Administrator

Postby Propulsion on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 am

Klewfish wrote:Maturity is the keyword here, and I don't think it would be possible to conduct this maturely. I can already see, "Ohh I don't agree with your opinion, -1" happening all over the place. If this privilege was given, it would have to be extremely restricted.

I doubt mature members would do that. If there is an issue with someone negging another member for no valid reason, a mod can be contacted. The whole point is to have reputable posters here. It's a discussion board and there are going to be differing opinions. I think this system can be beneficial - as someone said earlier, maybe it can be used as an admission ticket into the royal room. I believe that this system will make it easier for readers to ignore irrelevant threads started by trolls.

Another thing that is possible with this system is that only reputable posters with the minimum requirement of rep points can start threads without authorization. For others that do not meet the rep criteria, a mod can determine if that thread is important enough to be posted and act accordingly.
Propulsion

Postby Propulsion on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 am

One more thing - there should be a limit to how much reps or negs a person can give out on a given day. That way, one person will not be able to rep another more times than necessary at one time. Instead, a poster must build his reputation from many other posters.
Propulsion

Re: Reputation System

Postby heykid on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:11 pm

propulsiondj wrote:What if we have a reputation system where people are repped for positive posts and negged for detrimental posts? That way, when someone with a good rep starts a thread, it's most likely legit. In addition, we can make it so that only members with a certain amount of rep points can rep or neg others. That way we don't have trolls negging someone for no reason.
Or, the higher your rep, the more your rep is. And new members start out neutral, and they don't have any weight when -rep or +repping anyone. And your rep raises a tad the longer you've been with the site and base on post count as well, but you gain the majority of your rep from receiving it from others. I used to post at a website that had that exact system - it made everyone want to be the first to post the news. BDG - if you want the URL so you can look at that as an example, PM me. :jam2:
heykid
ClubSonics.com Administrator

Postby Kent K25 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:50 am

Klewfish wrote:Maturity is the keyword here, and I don't think it would be possible to conduct this maturely. I can already see, "Ohh I don't agree with your opinion, -1" happening all over the place. If this privilege was given, it would have to be extremely restricted.

A site this big with the young members...there is no hope of that not happening. People will be going around dropping negative rep on every post they can find by someone just cuz they're mad at them etc...
Kent K25

Postby Moises on Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:56 pm

Say no to the rep system. It can be abused easily. It rarely works. This site does not have enough mature users to make it work either.

The best case scenario rep system would be such that you can rep 1 person a day and can't rep the same person consecutively and can't for a set time limit either. And only positive rep allowed. Feelings and egos get bruised with negative rep.
Moises

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:30 am

Moises wrote:Say no to the rep system. It can be abused easily. It rarely works. This site does not have enough mature users to make it work either.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:45 am

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:
Moises wrote:Say no to the rep system. It can be abused easily. It rarely works. This site does not have enough mature users to make it work either.
Sadly, I agree with this.
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby Tragic on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:51 am

Yeah, forget that, it can so easily be abused.

But how about custom user titles once you reach a certain amount of posts?
Tragic

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:09 am

Orlando Tragic wrote:Yeah, forget that, it can so easily be abused.

But how about custom user titles once you reach a certain amount of posts?

Do you really want to see the flood that comes when people want to put custom titles under their names?

Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Propulsion on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:39 am

The best case scenario rep system would be such that you can rep 1 person a day and can't rep the same person consecutively and can't for a set time limit either. And only positive rep allowed. Feelings and egos get bruised with negative rep.

I don't see why it won't work. It definitely works in other forums out there. We can make it so that you need a certain amount of rep power to actually be able to rep or neg someone else. Those with very high rep power will have more effect on one's rep than those with low rep power. I think this system is a good way of ignoring threads and posts made by trolls while rewarding those who contribute positively to this site. For example, if a troll comes in here claiming to be an insider and gives dubious ideas that don't even work based on the CBA, then he can be negged and all threads started by him will have a warning signal. If someone starts out getting heavily negged, but eventually starts contributing positively, he can be brought back to a positive rep situation. One person's neg won't have as big an effect as the negs of a collective amount of people. So even if there is an immature poster negging people for no reason, then his negs won't really affect another poster much. In other words, he has to get negged by a lot of people for his rep to go down. However, if a troll exists, then his reps can go down a lot quicker.
Propulsion

Postby Radner on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:45 am

Gahhhhh, people make it seem like all hell will break loose if they start a rep or title name system. As far as I'm concern, CL needs some new additions to user oriented aspects. There are quite a few members on this forum who have been posting tons of posts yet they don't get recognition as a member. Nameant is the first user that comes to mind.

I like posting but there needs to be more that comes with it.
Radner

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:17 pm

If you give incentive for high post counts, this place will be dumbed down tremendously.

I don't want that.

Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Radner on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:32 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:If you give incentive for high post counts, this place will be dumbed down tremendously.

I don't want that.

I don't see how giving a person the title "veteran" is dumb but okay. :man3:
Radner

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:05 pm

JKsnoots wrote:
Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:If you give incentive for high post counts, this place will be dumbed down tremendously.

I don't want that.

I don't see how giving a person the title "veteran" is dumb but okay. :man3:

You seriously don't see how potential incentive for post padding would dumb this place down? Right now post counts don't count for anything and people still post pad because they want to look like they post a lot or be funny. Imagine if you could actualy get a title out of it, whoo boy. We'd be seeing the same people quoting people in every thread just to get a free post.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Satan on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm

I don't understand the attraction of titles anyway.

I personally come here for extensive Laker information and analysis as well as good discussion.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby heykid on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:04 pm

QuenteK25 wrote:

A site this big with the young members...there is no hope of that not happening. People will be going around dropping negative rep on every post they can find by someone just cuz they're mad at them etc...
In the system I speak of, you can't give rep to the same person twice without repping someone else in between. And you are given a certain amount of "reps" a day, and once you have handed out that much rep you are cutoff for the next 24 hours.

Make it any more appealing?
heykid
ClubSonics.com Administrator

Postby Unphony Phranchise on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:56 am

It would be cool to have "something" like other sites do....... not sure what exactly, def. NOT based post counts, if it were based on cool posts that would be awesome!
:bspn: :soap:
Unphony Phranchise

Postby L4L on Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:44 am

lakerswiz wrote:I just had a great idea.
If it's possible...give the members in the Royal Room the ability to leave rep...after you get a certain amount of rep, than you gain access to the Royal Room and the ability to rep. If there is rep and the 30 members of the RR are giving it out, people are going to try and post at a higher quality and without the immaturity.

I definitely liked this particular idea.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Sirron on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:23 pm

kind of like an ebay feedback system, but with no transactions. Interesting. I know ebay has their issues with bogus feedback. Would this have the potential to burden the mods even more? What if feedback was only possible to be left on started topics? That might be more reasonable than posts. never seen it, but would be open to it.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments