Rules For Referring To Fan Groups/Opposing View Points

Rules For Referring To Fan Groups/Opposing View Points

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:44 pm

There's been an increasingly disturbing trend around the forums of people attacking groups of posters with particular opinions. In addition, there's a pattern of using particular terms that rest of the line of personal attacks to refer to these groups.

Things like . . .

Kobe nuthuggers
Bynum jockers
Odom fanboys

. . . will not be tolerated any more.

It's baiting and makes an argument personal. There are a number ways to conduct a conversation and stick to the issue instead of making classifications and generalizations about another poster or a group of members.

Let's keep away from the condescending remarks.

Instead, when referring to groups of fans, use terms such as these . . .

Kobe supporters
Bynum fans

That being said, keep in mind there are still ways to bait / attack other members aside from this rule. As always, please stay away from that.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding opposing view points:

As the Lakers soap opera continues and the site goes through a transitional phase, please take note . . .

We here at ClubLakers welcome all viewpoints and all types of fans.

You can be a Lakers fan
You can be a Kobe-first fan
You can be a Spurs fan
You can dislike Kobe Bryant
You can like Kobe Bryant
You can be an admitted Lakers "homer"

. . . and so on. You get the point.

When discussing a topic, please stick to the issue. Complaints about people who are allegedly/admittedly Kobe-first fans or members who religiously defend the Lakers front office are unnecessary.

There's a difference between discussing someone's point and someone's viewpoint.

Stick to debating the points a poster has made, and not bashing them for having an alternative view on the state of the Lakers (or the NBA for that matter).

Of course, there again is a fine line between free expression and trolling. If you have concerns about a member who you feel is posting for a reaction or attempting to serve a clear agenda without reason, please contact a moderator. Trying to continually call them out just makes more of a mess.

All fans of basketball are welcomed here as long as they abide by our rules.

Thank you for your support. If there are any questions & concerns, please feel free to sound off in this thread.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Lakers Showtime24-7 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Thanks, bud. If you and the gang can enforce it, then you'll see at least one more person (me) reading a lot more threads and contributing.

I usually log out whenever things get too heated in here to have intelligent discussions. Falsely labeling other fans causes much of it.

Thumbs up, BDG.
Lakers Showtime24-7

Postby Weezy on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:58 pm

Alright, let me try it out.

You Kobe supporters make me physicaly ill.

You Bynum fans are quite exasperating.

Doesn't have the same impact, but ok I'll roll with it. :mhihi:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby CJ on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:00 pm

Can we still say things like,
'Stupid Mods'

:man12:

Just kidding
Good thinking on the rule
CJ
CJ
England's Lakers Rep

Postby Radner on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:00 pm

What about Bynum and Kobe lovers?
Radner

Postby Weezy on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:03 pm

JKsnoots wrote:What about Bynum and Kobe lovers?

Somehow I don't think that'll fly, sounds kinda sexual. Jockers/lovers what's the diff? :mhihi:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby BDG on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:06 pm

Weezy wrote:
JKsnoots wrote:What about Bynum and Kobe lovers?
Somehow I don't think that'll fly, sounds kinda sexual. Jockers/lovers what's the diff? :mhihi:
Agreed. It's baiting.

There's really no need to excessively corral a bunch of members into a group when posting, period. Stick to the issue/topic and go from there.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Telephone Guru on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:58 am

LOL at the need to do this. Kind of sad really that people don't know when to let things go. I don't know why, but nuthuggers,although highly inappropriate always cracked me up. That and someone posted something about swinging from his nuts. :man3: :man10:

Creative......but weird. Good call.
Telephone Guru

Postby blakeruns on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:21 pm

thank you BDG :bow:

this always bugged me...

i love kobe, but id never swing from anything of his,
except perhaps the jungle gym in his backyard.

i got really sick of all the fanboy/jocker/etc. comments
immature & unnecessary
[/u]
keepin it fresh eight days a week
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:58 pm

What exactly is a nuthugger? Where did that reference come from? How did it evolve?

Its like calling someone a pair of briefs.

Normally if you compliment someone to no end, aren't you kissing @?

Then shouldn't the term be butthugger?

I may not wear briefs, but I am starting to wear butthugging jeans. My little lady likes me in them. :man12:

So being called a nuthugger doesn't really apply to me. But I don't mind being called a butthugger.

Laker butthugger.....it has a nice ring to it.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Satan on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:53 pm

Kinda sad that this requires a post but it will make LD infinitely more readable.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby NY_Laker_Fan on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 pm

I agree this is a good move ... despite my own use of improper terms from time to time.

Any thought given to prevent posters from calling Laker players names as well? People referring to Odom as O'Dumb or Walton as Puke is meant to bait other posters just as much as referring to groups of posters by derogatory names.
NY_Laker_Fan

Postby Radner on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:01 pm

^^^ Okay, seriously that is censorship. BDG already stated what names should not be used. If you're going to get in trouble with using Odumb, you mine as well ban "retard" and "idiot." As far as the whole issue goes, people should be temporarily banned for baiting. Send a message saying, "Baiting will not be allowed. Please read over the language policies. Until then, you're temporarily banned for 30 minutes."
Radner

Postby BDG on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:46 pm

NY_Laker_Fan wrote:Any thought given to prevent posters from calling Laker players names as well? People referring to Odom as O'Dumb or Walton as Puke is meant to bait other posters just as much as referring to groups of posters by derogatory names.
Although making catchy insulting nicknames for players probably don't appear in my favorite posts, I still have to preserve free speech around here. So "Puke Walton" is perfectly legal, although my personal preference is not to use them and stick to discussing their performance.

The purpose of this rule is to cut down on personal attacks between member to member, simply because it disrupts conversation for others that want to positively participate in a thread.

If you're a fan of a player that's catching heat in a thread, please try to turn it into a basketball debate.

Of course, there's a point where the player-bashing turns into trolling. In that case, notify a staff member and we'll review it.

BDG
Retired Admin

Please Be Tolerant of All Viewpoints

Postby BDG on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:25 am

As the Lakers soap opera continues and the site goes through a transitional phase, please take note . . .

We here at ClubLakers welcome all viewpoints and all types of fans.

You can be a Lakers fan
You can be a Kobe-first fan
You can be a Spurs fan
You can dislike Kobe Bryant
You can like Kobe Bryant
You can be an admitted Lakers "homer"

. . . and so on. You get the point.

When discussing a topic, please stick to the issue. Complaints about people who are allegedly/admittedly Kobe-first fans or members who religiously defend the Lakers front office are unnecessary.

There's a difference between discussing someone's point and someone's viewpoint.

Stick to debating the points a poster has made, and not bashing them for having an alternative view on the state of the Lakers (or the NBA for that matter).

Of course, there again is a fine line between free expression and trolling. If you have concerns about a member who you feel is posting for a reaction or attempting to serve a clear agenda without reason, please contact a moderator. Trying to continually call them out just makes more of a mess.

All fans of basketball are welcomed here as long as they abide by our rules.

Thank you for your support. If there are any questions & concerns, please feel free to sound off in this thread.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby TalkieWalkie on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:34 pm

Its good that you posted this as a sticky just as a constant reminder that this is a mature discussion board where anyone can come and have their ideas as long as they aren't hurtful to this community.

I believe that variation in ideas breeds progression and I'm glad that CL supports that view.
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby Mr. Chicken on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 am

Good post BDG.
"I'm chasing perfection"--Kobe Bryant
Mr. Chicken

Postby OC Lakerfan on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:58 pm

Cool deal, hope we all can comply. :man1:

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts! :mhihi:
"If I was Kobe," AI continues, "I'd have begged Shaq to come back, and if I was Shaq, I would've begged Kobe to come back. Ego ain't going to get you nothin' except an early exit."
OC Lakerfan

Postby Alpha on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:14 pm

Good job BDG... that stuff is caustic to the site.

:jam2:
Alpha

Re: Rules For Referring To Fan Groups/Opposing View Points

Postby bystander on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:17 pm

refloating

I don't want to make a big deal.

I just saw this and i think this fits well with the Pau fans, mostly me. Since only 3 or 4 spaniards post here regularly, i know it can be "annoying" for some people to hear the same speech for the same guy, but, they have to understand, and speaking for myself, i am a Pau fan first obviously. I came here with the Pau trade.

It has been 2 years now. I might be a little biased about Pau but nobody really cared since Pau was awesone. Now that he is having a bad time, people might be finding me more irritating.

Anyway, i think the OP might be worth to read again and people should relax a little bit.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Satan on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 pm

bystander wrote:Anyway, i think the OP might be worth to read again and people should relax a little bit.

Agreed... and for more than just Pau detractors. Kobe fans, Lebron fans, in general fans of any one player over the team...
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby from714to402 on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Nice bump. I definitely think a lot of people need to revisit this thread.
from714to402

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments