Sig/banner suggestion

Sig/banner suggestion

Postby grego on Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:51 am

I know i talked to LG2k3 about this when i first joined, but after now making sigs for many people(still have a lot to do).

I know the setting is 468x60(web banner default), but as i look at sigs, the size is normally bigger with just left open space of quotes from people. Even I have extra stuff in it.

When my screen is maximized:

not completel maximized:

Extending it 20 pixels more in height would probably not change the dimensions of each post because there's empty grey space anyway. IMO it eliminates some creativity for making sigs since things get very small. My opinion as a sig creator.

My opinion just from viewing is the learning curve for the newer ones, is much more difficult when they have such small room to work with.

Thank you for reading this, and feel free to post your thoughts.

-Greg
grego
Clublakers Rep: Spurs

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:32 am

I dont understand the purpose of comparing the two signatures... I understand that u wanna make the height a bit taller, but I dont understand the whole "when my screen is maximized and minimized" concept. Because when i minimize my screen it's totally different, depending on where u set it at. I understand that you're talkin about signature sizes and limits when it comes to the extra text that people decide to add, which is why I believe there's a text character limit for each member, which means no matter the height of a picture in the signature, there's always gonna be that extra "gray space".

But there had to become a standardize system that we had to follow, and we decided using the standardized web banner dimentions of 468x60 pixels. I know the height does in fact limit creativity, but maybe sometime in the future we'll decide to change it. I have no problem with making it larger, just the people who decide to not comply make it harder.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby grego on Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:43 am

LakersGyrl2003 wrote:I dont understand the purpose of comparing the two signatures... I understand that u wanna make the height a bit taller, but I dont understand the whole "when my screen is maximized and minimized" concept. Because when i minimize my screen it's totally different, depending on where u set it at. I understand that you're talkin about signature sizes and limits when it comes to the extra text that people decide to add, which is why I believe there's a text character limit for each member, which means no matter the height of a picture in the signature, there's always gonna be that extra "gray space".

But there had to become a standardize system that we had to follow, and we decided using the standardized web banner dimentions of 468x60 pixels. I know the height does in fact limit creativity, but maybe sometime in the future we'll decide to change it. I have no problem with making it larger, just the people who decide to not comply make it harder.

I was just showing that 80 works in between a maxmized screen and a screen that isn't fully maximized. That's where i showed that. It stays pretty relative in space when its maximized. Just wanted to show how it looks for both basically.

I do understand the idea of the standardization of the graphic so that it doesn't create too much conflict in the flow of each thread.

But even then if the reason for a small height is there to have a better flow to the board, I'd think the text kinda contridicts that idea.

Like enough lines that equal 80 pixels in height is pretty relative to a picture that's there at 80 pixels.

I'll go back and test my theory out and get back to ya. Just my 2 cents and hope it would be considered.

Thanks.
grego

Postby bballclown07 on Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:58 am

Well, I for one am favoring Grego's suggestion for some spacing improvements. An increase in the standard height of the sig by 20 pixels could helps creating the signatures a bit easier.

Althrough i do see some drawbacks in this since increasing the height will also increases the kbs but it is not a problem and it can be adjusted.

I know that most websites with banners are mostly 468sx60s, however, cant this standardization rule be readjusted a lil bit?

Grego is making all these sigs for people so im sure some are in favor with his suggestion and it definitely will expands his creativity as well as mine.

Thank you for hearing out my opinions.
bballclown07

Postby Furious D on Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:00 am

Yeah 468x60 isnt a lot of room to work with. Also Ive seen a complaint about BDGs sig slowin down some members comp. I like his sig but it seems to be buggin this guy badly. Maybe you guys should consider putting a limit on the kind of vids or animations that go on sigs.
"That's where I want your jersey in about in about ten years." - Mitch Kupchak
Furious D
Good Call Stats Team

Postby LukeWalton on Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:09 am

i was jw instead of having 468 by 68. would it be alright to have a sig for an ex of 428 by 120
LukeWalton

Postby clublakers on Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:17 am

When we first started the height of 68 was requested to be increased to 80. ...then 100 because 80 wasn't enough, then 100, then 120, etc etc.

We had to pull it in and selecting the standard advertising unit made sense.

The fact is while some members like to express themselves, most of our traffic don't even post -- they only read. They come here for information, and not an art gallery. These read-only visitors will turn into posters as their visits become habitual.

Unfortunately repetitive signatures (and they are repetitive) add unnecessarily to page length, and detract from the attractiveness of a forum for read-only guests... and in turn decrease stickiness and return visits.

I do get requests to remove the signatures for the above reasons, but I'd like to keep them as it differentiates us from other forums that don't allow graphic signatures at all.

I recommend that if our artists want to express themselves, do it in the form of wallpaper -- unlimited screen space... and post a text link beneath your signature to your wallpaper of the week.

- CL

ps- Oh, and please use only one graphic signature + one text line. If you don't use a graphic signature, use text that doesn't exceed the height of the banner + 1 text line.
Call it from Heaven Chick.

clublakers
Site Admin

Postby grego on Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:20 pm

Thanks CL,

I appreciate you reading over it. I did not know you tried other sizes. 80 would have been perfect. Dang. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to read it.

-Greg
grego

Postby bballclown07 on Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:47 am

i see, no wonder why but just this once...no? oh well, i tried. Sorry, Grego. They are tough customers.
bballclown07

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:20 pm

Can you have 2 sigs at a time?
GWHiZiTSPHiL
Clublakers Rep: Clippers

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:22 pm

If you can handle it big boy.

or girl.

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:27 pm

uhh ok, if I get caught for having 2 sigs im blaming posto.
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:40 pm

I've used all my 9 lives and all my warnings so the next time I get in trouble i'm done for.

Don't blame it on me please!

I'll show you a triiiiick!

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:18 pm

GWHiZiTSPHiL wrote:Can you have 2 sigs at a time?

No u cant... Then people would want 3 then 4 then 5 and so on....
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Kb8theGreat on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:22 pm

Ya people who have 2 sigs need to just choose 1.
Kobe is the Future of our franchise no matter if you like it or not.
Kb8theGreat

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:28 pm

I have another question, I made a random picture thing so it randomly shows a new signiture whenever you refresh:

http://eric.gptechnicalservice.com/Phil/signiture.htm (keep pressing F5)

Is it possible to somehow put this in your signiture?
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:32 pm

You have to make it a flash, because your not allowed to use META codes or HTML codes to that extent.

Postby GWHiZiTSPHiL on Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:32 pm

how do you make it flash?
GWHiZiTSPHiL

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:35 pm

U can change the colors as an animated gif
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:35 pm

Hire a flash man.

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:36 pm

Or call Columbo.

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:36 pm