a suggestion to stop redundant threads

a suggestion to stop redundant threads

Postby Kingsama on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:02 am

i think this is possible, though it may be a little time consuming up front. at any rate i propose that you start a new rule for the LD specifically, perhaps the whole boards, that states if you start X amount of threads that are locked due for reasons pertaining to you, in X amount of time then you loose your thread starting privileges. it seems many of the threads that end up locked are from the same people, so if you remove there privileges for a short period of time it could cut down on the clutter.

an example:

if I made three threads that were locked due to being redundant, in the wrong forum ie baseless trade, belonged in a sticky, had nothing to do with LD, etc etc in a month then i would loose my ability of starting threads for say one month.

you could plug in your own numbers and length of loss of privileges...

that may seem extreme, but i think it would help a lot.

in summary, you make locked threads, you loose that privileges for a time.
Kingsama

Postby Satan on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:24 am

The only difficulty I see is mods having to track everyone's "offenses".
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby Sirron on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:22 pm

If you had to have a ton of posts before posting, it might also help. The possible only other option I see is having all new threads being "authorized" before being posted. Ruins the whole point of a real time message board though.

Either way, I'd have no problem with having to build up a post count on another board before being able to start a topic.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby BDG on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:55 pm

That's an interesting idea. Let's see what you all think.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Satan on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:20 pm

sirronstuff wrote:If you had to have a ton of posts before posting, it might also help.

Then people spam out there required posts.

sirronstuff wrote:The possible only other option I see is having all new threads being "authorized" before being posted.

You must hate the mods.
:man9:
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:20 pm

Do it! NOW!
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby Sirron on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Satan wrote:
sirronstuff wrote:If you had to have a ton of posts before posting, it might also help.

Then people spam out there required posts.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Probably depends on the number.

sirronstuff wrote:The possible only other option I see is having all new threads being "authorized" before being posted.

You must hate the mods.
:man9:

probably unrealistic, but it might be better than you think. If a mod was going to see it first, maybe one would reevaluate a few times the quality of their topic before pushing submit.
Sirron

Postby Kingsama on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:57 pm

Satan wrote:The only difficulty I see is mods having to track everyone's "offenses".

a simple spreadsheet document could make it work or by posting something on there profile for only mods to see. it would take an extra 30 seconds or so to update.

edit:

i am an idiot, as there is a VERY simple way to do this. each form has an option to view the threads based on time, all the mods would have to do is move the threads to the graveyard, change the option to a month, hit control f on firefox and see if that person has three locked threads from the ld in the last month. easy breezy, just by looking at the graveyard, if you did just 2 weaks it would be a huge help to the forum...
Kingsama

Postby KGB on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:05 am

how about they just start asking for permission to make a thread?
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby Black Sheep91 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:49 pm

8got81_24gets101 wrote:how about they just start asking for permission to make a thread?

dont like it.. lets say Kobe is traded. You pm a mod and it takes a few hours to get back to you...
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby Radner on Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:49 am

It's a forum. I'm not trying to be rude or anything but redundant threads are part of forums. When new users register, do you honestly think they will use "Search" to find topics? No. As far as a solution goes, we don't need anything else other than moderators. They were assigned the job, so let them take care of it.

If you really have a problem with it, I suggest you contact administration and tell them to make CL a pay-to-post forum. (bad idea)
Radner

Postby BadNewsBear on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:43 am

I wouldn't mind that. Most people who start redundant threads consistently are usually posting news or trade ideas, they aren't adding anything new to Lakers Discussion.
BadNewsBear

Postby Radner on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:30 am

Also, is this solution applied to veterans or the inferior of the forum?(I consider my self inferior)

The reason I ask this is because I remember a veteran made a thread that supposedly would brighten the mood of forum yet it didn't get lock.
Radner

Postby Sirron on Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:33 pm

can posts per day be limited for new members? That would help "spamming" to meet a qualifying level to start threads. Way too many "new" members feel the need to start new threads.
Sirron

Postby Kingsama on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:42 am

JKsnoots wrote:It's a forum. I'm not trying to be rude or anything but redundant threads are part of forums. When new users register, do you honestly think they will use "Search" to find topics? No. As far as a solution goes, we don't need anything else other than moderators. They were assigned the job, so let them take care of it.

If you really have a problem with it, I suggest you contact administration and tell them to make CL a pay-to-post forum. (bad idea)

thats the beauty of it, it wouldnt be based on just one infraction, it would be at least three infractions. 9 times out of 10 when ever a mod locks a thread they, or someone else in the thread, points out that it was already posted, is in the wrong thread, wrong forum etc. how many times do people need to be told that baseless trades go in the baseless trade thread? by the way a paid to post forum is a horrific straw man. you are assuming that the only options for governing the forum are chaos or fascism. as for veterans, why would you think it would not apply to them? if you think that a specific thread should have been locked you should bring it up with the mods or even the admins...
Kingsama

Postby Kingsama on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:00 pm

bump still think this is a good idea, especially after emotional loses like tonight. Not talkin ban, just no more starting of threads...
Last edited by Kingsama on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingsama

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:29 am

they should have a post count of at least 100 to start a new thread ..PERIOD...

cuts down on trolls and baiters... learns em patience and respect
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby KB24 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:47 am

we have some new stuff coming up Darth....

we are going to DEFINITELY take care of business, thats what I can promiss at this point. but indeed its an interesting idea...

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby John3:16 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:40 pm

DarthRekal wrote:they should have a post count of at least 100 to start a new thread ..PERIOD...

cuts down on trolls and baiters... learns em patience and respect

250 posts or 2 months at CL, whichever comes last.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Massacre on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:36 pm

At this point, I agree. I'm sure it would help bring myself & others into LD more often after a loss like last night.
Massacre
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Kingsama on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:48 pm

Massacre wrote:At this point, I agree. I'm sure it would help bring myself & others into LD more often after a loss like last night.

i have been trying to go back in the LD, but its so hard, you have to wade through so much crap to find a decent discussion, and when you do you have to pan the thread like you are looking for gold at knotts berry far...
Kingsama

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments