The Royal Room is NOW OPEN at ClubLakers

The Royal Room is NOW OPEN at ClubLakers

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:45 pm

What is the Royal Room?
It's a place for our veteran members to hang out.

How do I get into the Royal Room?
Access is handed out by invitation only.

PLEASE DO NOT REQUEST ACCESS FROM THE STAFF. Remember -- invitation only.

How much emphasis will be put on post count for invitations to be handed out? It depends. We're not going to invite someone with 1,000 meaningless posts in there. But at the same time, a high post count sticks out to us and shows veteran status.

Keep posting strong in Lakers Discussion. I'll add more to this FAQ post as I get questions.

Note: We have invited only 30 members right now. Just because you weren't invited in the first wave of additions doesn't mean you won't be invited in the near future.
Last edited by BDG on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Venti Quattro on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:51 pm

How much emphasis will be put on post count for invitations to be handed out? Thanks.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby Mookie on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:53 pm

What a room only I can get in by invitation only?
Nah I'm not intrested!
Mookie

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:54 pm

Venti Quattro wrote:How much emphasis will be put on post count for invitations to be handed out? Thanks.
Good question -- I'm adding it to the FAQ.

It depends. We're not going to invite someone with 1,000 meaningless posts in there. But at the same time, a high post count sticks out to us and shows veteran status.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Moises on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:56 pm

Don't really agree with this. Seems kind of elitist.
Moises

Postby Venti Quattro on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:57 pm

BDG wrote:
Venti Quattro wrote:How much emphasis will be put on post count for invitations to be handed out? Thanks.
Good question -- I'm adding it to the FAQ.

It depends. We're not going to invite someone with 1,000 meaningless posts in there. But at the same time, a high post count sticks out to us and shows veteran status.

Thanks. Not quite quality over quantity, but quality quantity over quantity seems to be the key to unlock the door.
March 21, 1999:

Los Angeles Lakers 115, Orlando Magic 104 FINAL/Overtime

Kobe Bryant - 38 Points, 4 Assists, 3 Rebounds, 2 Steals, 1 NEW FAN
Venti Quattro

Postby live and die in LA on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:01 pm

I've been here since June 2004 but when that server went down I lost a good portion of my posts :man5:

O well, whats the difference.
live and die in LA

Postby Helljumper on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:01 pm

What kind of things will be posted in the Royal Room? Will it be like an Open Court for veterans?
Helljumper

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Helljumper wrote:What kind of things will be posted in the Royal Room? Will it be like an Open Court for veterans?
Somewhat. It depends on what they will want to talk about. It's basically free discussion clumped into one forum.

live and die in LA wrote:I've been here since June 2004 but when that server went down I lost a good portion of my posts :man5:

Maybe I should've been clearer before when I say that post count isn't really what we're looking for -- it just helps us know that a particular member has been here for a while. As Venti Quattro said, "quality quantity over quantity"

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Barnstable on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 pm

Why did you decide to make the new forum?

A forum to not have to worry about Trolls and flaming?
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LaLaKeRz4LiFe on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:32 pm

I always liked BDG.
LaLaKeRz4LiFe

Postby mantlehog on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:42 pm

Moises wrote:Don't really agree with this. Seems kind of elitist.

I somewhat agree. I don't post much, but I am here all the time. It seems like all the good discussion and insight from those in the know, (Sky, Emplay, etc) will no longer be available to most of the members here.
mantlehog

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:59 pm

live and die in LA wrote:I've been here since June 2004 but when that server went down I lost a good portion of my posts :man5:

I know your pain I lost over a thousand post when that happened. :mad1:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JuanoLAL on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:03 pm

I think this is a cool idea. Kind of like the Royal Room at Staples? :man1:
JuanoLAL

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 pm

lakerswiz wrote:are u going to be looking at the memberlist and seeing who was here rather early in the process and is still active?
To an extent. There's members who have been here for a year that will get an invite and there's members that have been here for three years that will be down there.

Barnstable wrote:Why did you decide to make the new forum?

I'll be honest -- the staff saw a pattern of veterans going away from Lakers Discussion. This is a way to establish a more direct relationship between staff and vets and keep up their activity at CL and its subforums. Particularly in Lakers Discussion.

mantlehog wrote:

I somewhat agree. I don't post much, but I am here all the time. It seems like all the good discussion and insight from those in the know, (Sky, Emplay, etc) will no longer be available to most of the members here.
I understand that viewpoint. The staff is going to make every effort to make sure the members don't feel that way. The rules will still apply equally to all.

As for Sky and emplay (etc) -- I'm sure they'll still be posting in Lakers Discussion regardless. I doubt this will affect their availablilty/contributions. In fact, we hope it will encourage them (and all of our vets) to post even more often.

I think this is a cool idea. Kind of like the Royal Room at Staples? :man1:
Yes, that's where I got the name from. :mhihi:

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Nelo Ice on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:10 pm

LaLaKeRz4LiFe wrote:I always liked BDG.

BDG is my favorite mod :man1:
Nelo Ice

Postby 10scott10 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:11 pm

JUANYO wrote:I think this is a cool idea. Kind of like the Royal Room at Staples? :man1:

except hopefully it won't be overpriced and really loud.
10scott10

Postby CrazyLikeCatfish on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Nelo Ice wrote:

Some people want access, lol.
CrazyLikeCatfish

Postby Nelo Ice on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:13 pm

CrazyLikeCatfish wrote:
Nelo Ice wrote:

Some people want access, lol.

what are u talking about i was just kindly mentioning how awesome BDG is :mhihi:
Nelo Ice

Postby nicehair911 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:23 pm

So when will we know if we got invited or not? Have all the invites that the staff wants to send out been sent out?

How often do you guys give new invites?
nicehair911

Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:26 pm

niceRON wrote:So when will we know if we got invited or not?
Likely within the week or so.

Have all the invites that the staff wants to send out been sent out?
No invites have been sent out.

How often do you guys give new invites?
Can't really say at this point. If we notice a member's been here for a while, follows our rules and posts strong, we'll likely invite them.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JuanoLAL on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:27 pm

Is this something new? Seems like everyone is unaware of what it is. Is it going to be year round? Could you be invited later on?

I can only fantasize and dream about a section without trolls, constant flames, biased opinions, redundant threads, and actually interesting information.

:jam2:
JuanoLAL

Postby BDG on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:30 pm

I've received some messages expressing uncertainties with this forum . . .

Let me make one thing clear -- if the Royal Room becomes Lakers Discussion 2, it will likely be removed.

Everyone that receives an invite will be encouraged to be active & stay active in Lakers discussion.

The point of this decision by the staff isn't to segregate LD, but to keep our veterans comfortable and keep them involved in LD.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Think of it as a reward to the vets who have shown the ability to enact civil discussion with others. Lakers Discussion will still be the main staple, however if theres a particular topic that we might want to delve into with great description, the Royal Room would be that place. For those who are worried that you wont make it because of number of posts or joined date, don't worry is about quality not quantity. If you show your worth on the board, we are watching and you will be rewarded as such. This is an exciting time for Clublakers, look forward to seeing some of you there.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby mantlehog on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:36 pm

Barnstable wrote:Why did you decide to make the new forum?

I'll be honest -- the staff saw a pattern of veterans going away from Lakers Discussion. This is a way to establish a more direct relationship between staff and vets and keep up their activity at CL and its subforums. Particularly in Lakers Discussion.

I guess from my vantage point, it saddens me b/c the majority of solid and insightful discussion will no longer be available to all.

mantlehog wrote:

I understand that viewpoint. The staff is going to make every effort to make sure the members don't feel that way. The rules will still apply equally to all.

As for Sky and emplay (etc) -- I'm sure they'll still be posting in Lakers Discussion regardless. I doubt this will affect their availablilty/contributions. In fact, we hope it will encourage them (and all of our vets) to post even more often.

It will be difficult not to feel that way b/c certain members are being excluded. I would venture to guess that I am on this site as much as anyone. I am pretty much on here all day while working and I check it regularly at night after getting my son to bed. Yet, I don't post often unless I have an emphatic view about a particular issue. I enjoy this site b/c of the Laker news and great discussion. Living in Memphis, I am not privy to the local news, so I rely on this site and LG to stay in the know. It's easy to say that the vets will still post here, but I think the reality is that this forum will lose a great deal of purpose. Those who are included in the Royal Room, will stay there and, for the most part. post there. So, that pretty much leaves the rest of us out of luck.
mantlehog

Next

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments