There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby kidvideo on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:23 pm

I know some mods like to feel cool and powerful by locking a thread, but shouldn't there be another way?

If a poster makes a thread and is not breaking the TOS and rules of the site, why should the thread be locked just becasue a mod and a few posters don't like it?

Let THE BOARD decide. If a thread is wack, nobody will reply and the thread will fall off itself.

I see a lot of threads get locked where PEOPLE ARE REPLYING! Even if it's a NEGATIVE reply it's still communication, which is THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE BORAD.

Sometimes it's fun to go back and forth with a "stupid thread starter" regarding a "stupid thread". But oh, here comes the mighty Mod ready to lock the thread up.

Again, if it isn't abuse, if isn't blatant upping of the thread by the thread starter, and if people are actually replying, WHY LOCK THE THREAD?
The L.W.O. will rise again...
User avatar
kidvideo

 
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby from714to402 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:31 pm

If there is already one thread regarding the Lakers crappy/great play, then why start another one?

There is an official "Whine, Moan, Complain". If you need to vent about a Laker player, or Laker team as a whole go there, there is no need to open up a whole new thread that will just waste space.

If it is during a Lakers game and Vlad is playing bad DON'T start a new thread! There is a Game day thread. That thread is meant to post for, guess what, Laker game days.

That is the reason threads get locked, because they are taking up unnecessary space. If you want to post pad, there are certain threads that you can do that too. We have a Random Thread and various other threads that you can go to if all you want to do is post pad.
Image
User avatar
from714to402

 
Posts: 8192
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: The 402

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby kidvideo on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:11 pm

from714to402 wrote:If there is already one thread regarding the Lakers crappy/great play, then why start another one?

There is an official "Whine, Moan, Complain". If you need to vent about a Laker player, or Laker team as a whole go there, there is no need to open up a whole new thread that will just waste space.

If it is during a Lakers game and Vlad is playing bad DON'T start a new thread! There is a Game day thread. That thread is meant to post for, guess what, Laker game days.

That is the reason threads get locked, because they are taking up unnecessary space. If you want to post pad, there are certain threads that you can do that too. We have a Random Thread and various other threads that you can go to if all you want to do is post pad.



I got you.
The L.W.O. will rise again...
User avatar
kidvideo

 
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby kidvideo on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:45 pm

Just one more thing to add....


I undestand that you have actual threads dedicated to things, but you guys almost have the whole gambit covered: Game Discussion, Trade Rumors, Whine & Complain, etc.

It won't be too long before there won't even be a need to make a NEW THREAD because there is probably already an OFFICIAL THREAD that covers the subject, you know what I mean?

Part of the fun of posting on a message board is making a NEW THREAD and having people reply to it. Don't take that fun away from posters.

It's not necessarily fun to go post in a 100 page 5 month old thread just because it's the "Official" one, ya know?

The Lakers are a VAST organization that presents NUMEROUS angles and have dozens of personalities that are fun to talk about.

Please, let's not be TOO structual and to the letter of the law, and let guys just sit back and have fun and make threads.

Does this make any sense at all?
The L.W.O. will rise again...
User avatar
kidvideo

 
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby from714to402 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:49 pm

In time you too will be one of the people that is fed up with the senseless new threads. I agree there are various angles that need to be covered, but there are people that only create new threads to post pad. Like I said earlier we have official threads for a reason. There are tons of threads that talk about all the different angles that you wish to talk about.

It isn't very fun to go to Laker Discussion and have 6 threads on why we need to trade Lamar, or why Kobe has lost it. It's pointless.

I'll give you an example of threads of similar topics. Kanye West thread, under-rated rappers, and the Ludacris thread. They all are about rap/hip-hop music, but they each pertain to different aspects of it. They all have different arguments/opinions being presented. It would make no sense to lock those.

But, like I said before, to have multiple threads regarding how crappy the Lakers are playing and every single one of them having the same arguments is pointless. That is why there are certain "Official" threads dedicated to them. If you have a new topic, one that isn't being discussed, go ahead make a new thread and people will more than gladly be happy to argue and debate.

The posters that have been on this site for years will tell you that it is quite annoying to come into LD after a Laker loss. The whole first page will be dedicated to moaning, complaining, and whining. Which is why there is an "Official Whine, Moan, Complain" thread.
Image
User avatar
from714to402

 
Posts: 8192
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: The 402

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby strikemode14 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:16 pm

kidvideo wrote:I know some mods like to feel cool and powerful by locking a thread, but shouldn't there be another way?


If you want to be taking seriously by the staff making a comment like that isn't the way to go. Mods locks threads b/c they break the rules not b/c they feel cool or powerful.

If a poster makes a thread and is not breaking the TOS and rules of the site, why should the thread be locked just becasue a mod and a few posters don't like it?

Let THE BOARD decide. If a thread is wack, nobody will reply and the thread will fall off itself.

I see a lot of threads get locked where PEOPLE ARE REPLYING! Even if it's a NEGATIVE reply it's still communication, which is THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE BORAD.

Sometimes it's fun to go back and forth with a "stupid thread starter" regarding a "stupid thread". But oh, here comes the mighty Mod ready to lock the thread up.

Again, if it isn't abuse, if isn't blatant upping of the thread by the thread starter, and if people are actually replying, WHY LOCK THE THREAD?


If there is a bunch of "negative replies" which no logical thoughts are going on and it turning into a flame fest/spam fest which BTW are against the rules then yeah those threads are going to be locked.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou


]
User avatar
strikemode14
Forum Manager
 
Posts: 22101
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:04 pm
Location: savannah

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby strikemode14 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:18 pm

kidvideo wrote:Just one more thing to add....


I undestand that you have actual threads dedicated to things, but you guys almost have the whole gambit covered: Game Discussion, Trade Rumors, Whine & Complain, etc.

It won't be too long before there won't even be a need to make a NEW THREAD because there is probably already an OFFICIAL THREAD that covers the subject, you know what I mean?

Part of the fun of posting on a message board is making a NEW THREAD and having people reply to it. Don't take that fun away from posters.

It's not necessarily fun to go post in a 100 page 5 month old thread just because it's the "Official" one, ya know?

The Lakers are a VAST organization that presents NUMEROUS angles and have dozens of personalities that are fun to talk about.

Please, let's not be TOO structual and to the letter of the law, and let guys just sit back and have fun and make threads.

Does this make any sense at all?


We will allow some flexibility to a pt if it is flowing. However having 10 topic saying

Famar RULES

or

Vlad sucks

or

Lakers suck after a loss stuff like that is going to get locked up.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou


]
User avatar
strikemode14
Forum Manager
 
Posts: 22101
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:04 pm
Location: savannah

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby KGB on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:16 pm

from714to402 wrote:In time you too will be one of the people that is fed up with the senseless new threads. I agree there are various angles that need to be covered, but there are people that only create new threads to post pad. Like I said earlier we have official threads for a reason. There are tons of threads that talk about all the different angles that you wish to talk about.

It isn't very fun to go to Laker Discussion and have 6 threads on why we need to trade Lamar, or why Kobe has lost it. It's pointless.

I'll give you an example of threads of similar topics. Kanye West thread, under-rated rappers, and the Ludacris thread. They all are about rap/hip-hop music, but they each pertain to different aspects of it. They all have different arguments/opinions being presented. It would make no sense to lock those.

But, like I said before, to have multiple threads regarding how crappy the Lakers are playing and every single one of them having the same arguments is pointless. That is why there are certain "Official" threads dedicated to them. If you have a new topic, one that isn't being discussed, go ahead make a new thread and people will more than gladly be happy to argue and debate.

The posters that have been on this site for years will tell you that it is quite annoying to come into LD after a Laker loss. The whole first page will be dedicated to moaning, complaining, and whining. Which is why there is an "Official Whine, Moan, Complain" thread.
Basically, don't post anything that could go in another thread. If it is a different idea, then sure start a new thread. Just know where to draw the line.
Image
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
User avatar
KGB

 
Posts: 10429
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:00 am
Location: Waiting till june for revenge.

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby nicehair911 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:05 pm

kidvideo wrote:Just one more thing to add....


I undestand that you have actual threads dedicated to things, but you guys almost have the whole gambit covered: Game Discussion, Trade Rumors, Whine & Complain, etc.

It won't be too long before there won't even be a need to make a NEW THREAD because there is probably already an OFFICIAL THREAD that covers the subject, you know what I mean?

Part of the fun of posting on a message board is making a NEW THREAD and having people reply to it. Don't take that fun away from posters.

It's not necessarily fun to go post in a 100 page 5 month old thread just because it's the "Official" one, ya know?

The Lakers are a VAST organization that presents NUMEROUS angles and have dozens of personalities that are fun to talk about.

Please, let's not be TOO structual and to the letter of the law, and let guys just sit back and have fun and make threads.

Does this make any sense at all?


I understand what you're saying. But over time you'll have a sense of what's a good and bad thread. Anything that is a reaction to a game or a very small detail is probably not a good thread. Anything that is more general is probably good.
User avatar
nicehair911

 
Posts: 12327
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Wit so much drama in da LBC it's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O double G

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby KB24 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:14 am

sometimes more threads than one is needed in order to keep track of the discussion. If 1000 people post in the same thread, there won't be a structure, thats why we allow more than one topic whenever it makes sense.

Otherwise, we lock threads because they are either redundant or the replys indicate that there won't be any good discussion.

We don't lock threads to feel cool. Our first ambition is to offer a good product and if we can keep the fans happy along the way, thats awesome. But sometimes some members have to accept something against their will for the sake of the site. We try to find a compromise as well, so you should to. Its not like you (or any member, me included) are paying for the site to be able to demand anything.
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55531
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Re: There is a little too much THREAD LOCKING going on

Postby from714to402 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:39 pm

mycool wrote:Dear Sir or Madam, It is cool-jordan Co., Ltd , located in Fujian Province of China. We can provide you the shoes as below: NIKE: Air Force 1,Air Jordan, Air Shox, Air Max, Basketball Shoes, Football Shoes, Cartier, Dunk ADIDAS: Basketball Shoes, All-star Shoes, Football Shoes. BAPE, PRADA, GUCCI, Ice Cream, TIMBERLAND, PUMA, LV, REEBOK, LACOSTE. They are 100% correct in US, Euro and UK size. More: Min Order Quantity: 6 Pairs Size: For Ladies: UERO:36--40,US:5.5--8.5, For Men: UERO:41--46;US:8--13, For Children: Packing: 1 Pair per Case. Delivery: EMS,TNT,DHL or Sea Transportation (for container) Delivery Time: 5-7 Days except Sea Transportation. Regarding more details, please contact me: http://www.cool-jordan.com MSN/E-mail: cool-jordan@hotmail.com .

:freak2:
Image
User avatar
from714to402

 
Posts: 8192
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: The 402


Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.