Wanted: Your Memories of Chick Hearn

Postby NY_Laker_Fan on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:09 pm

I was born in downtown LA in 1955 and literally grew up listening to Chick Hearn's play by plays. I also cut my basketball teeth as a player during the 60s and into the early 70s. Having now lived on the east coast for the past 22 years, I can honestly say that I have never heard a basketball game called the way Chick could. It came alive in his words. You swear you could SEE it. No one has ever come close.

The best tribute I can think of was my own experiences growing up as a SoCal player. Didn't matter if we played a game in a crowded arena in front of thousands of fans or on an outdoor court with a tattered net. As we played, we would constantly brag that we "got ya in the old popcorn machine" or laugh at someone for "letting the mustard slip off the hotdog" or cry that we couldn't "throw a pea in the ocean" today. And no one thought it was unusual. Those "chickisms" and many, many more were simply basketball language ... phrases we all accepted as just the way things were described. In fact, after I moved to the east coast, I was playing in a men's league. One game I managed to pump fake the man guarding so well that he jumped up and fell right into me prompting one of my teammates to yell, "wow ... faked him right into the popcorn machine". Made me feel right at home 3000 miles from the old Great Western Forum.
NY_Laker_Fan

Postby BygDaddy on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Chick taught me everything I know about basketball. I remember being 9 years old and watching the Lakers and not really knowing the rules but Chick explained everything during the course of the game.
I got the chance to meet Chick after a game in 2000 and took a picture with him. I cherish that picture.
I just happened to be in the area when they were going to have the press conference at Northridge Hospital the day he passed away so I decided to go to the hospital and I was there when they announced it. I went to the post office dedication too.
The games just aren't the same without him. He was the Lakers to me :bow:
BygDaddy

Postby jlkr on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:27 pm

There's Jamaal with the 20 foot layup!

... faked him into the popcorn machine.

... Van Exel yo-yo'ing the ball ...

... Kareem swing left, shoot right, on the way, good!

And dozens of other Chickisms. What a legacy. Los Angeles has been blessed to have two of the best broadcasters ever to grab a mike (Vin Scully being the other one). Chick was the voice of the Lakers; I always liked that he called it like it was out there. When I listened to other broadcasters, it wasn't the same because they were mostly homers. Think someone like Johnny Most. He was Boston's legend, but when I listened to him, he wasn't close to Chick at all... that was the Chick difference.

I've been a Chick fan since 1966 so that's 36 years of listening to Chick for me. Damn, I still miss his voice and play-by-play calling even though it's been 5 years now.
jlkr

Postby MadMax on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:55 pm

The only thing I can really say about Chick is that when I used to watch Laker

games, he was right there next to me, telling it like he saw it.

We all felt like not only did we know him, but that he had the same love of the

team and desire to win as we did.

A wonderful soul, and always will be in my head when I watch games.

Thanks Chick baby.

:bow:
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LakerFan4L1fe24 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:10 pm

Probably the best announcer ever in the history of sports, wish he was still here with us :man6:
LakerFan4L1fe24

My night with Chick Hearn

Postby Brisal73 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:25 pm

it was the night that the L.A. Riots started. The Lakers I believe were going to play the Trailblazers.

So my mom, a friend, and I decided to go to the game anyways. The riots just started and no one knew how bad it was.

So anyways the game was still played, but like the Laker fan I am I got to the forum an hour before tip off. Got our seats and then I noticed that Chick was sitting at a table near the walkway and I went over to him and asked for his autograph. It was a HUGE thrill for me plus my grandfather recently passed away and I told him how much of a thrill it was for me to be this close to him and that grandfather must be looking at this moment,

He smiled said thank you and he talked some Lakers basketball with me for 10 minutes or so (felt like hours) . We then shooked hands goodbye and told me to be careful after the game.

I would never forget that moment..man I miss him
Brisal73

Postby Duce Bigallow on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:47 pm

My favorite quote of his came from Gm4 of the 88 WCSF against Utah.

"Gee whiz...Malone hung on the rim like an orangutan eating a banana."
Duce Bigallow

Postby TalkieWalkie on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Chick Hearn during the game talking about Mychal Thompson's freethrow shooting:

"If he picks coconuts in the Bahamas like he shoots freethrows, the tree's are FULL of coconuts."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbDTWmhlgds
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby TalkieWalkie on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm

Alleyhoops wrote:My Breakfast With Chick.

Strangely, I was only mildly disappointed. For what had started out as a business venture, yielded a rare opportunity to meet a truly amazing, sweet, generous human being. That was the greatest reward of all.

I was moved to tears reading your post. I think when you hear stories about people being good to each-other like that, and its GENUINE, it moves you. I think there is so much more to Chick Hearn the man than we will ever know. This guy was touched by something higher than we can truly understand...what he has given to us and shown us really transcends the Lakers or basketball.

I think we should all aspire to be good to each other and to look out for each other in this world... God knows we need to do more of it. Its good to know that at least one of us got it... He got it...He got what it meant to be a human being.

And I'm starting to believe that the Lakers will never be the Lakers that we remember.....because Chick WAS the Lakers. He represented everything that was good about the Lakers. Now all you see is a group of individuals who forgot that what REALLY MATTERS is to lift peoples spirits and create an experience that the family can enjoy. Chick did that for basketball. The TV and the radio became the fireplace as we gathered around to feel the warmth. Win, lose or draw, Laker basketball was a place to escape to and to let go of the tension and conflict of the world for a few hours of fun. Chick was the tour guide through the experience.

I just thank God that I was able to experience Chicks legacy...
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Chick was the BEST!

Postby Nasty-Nate on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:21 pm

My earliest memories of the Lakers, were not surprisingly about one particular player, but rather of one Francis Dayle Hearn. We knew him best as Chick. I personally loved the nick name "Chicky Baby!" People saw Chick, and thats how they repsonded, with unabashed, child-like excitement. Chicky!

I must have been in 3rd or fourth grade when my child-hood best friend growing up, Todd and I put slinkys over our heads and pretended we were Chick and Stu wearing headphones. And thus began my Laker life. A strong foundation was built.

Chick Hearn was the essence of the Los Angeles Lakers. The brilliance, the excellence, the showmanship, and the "every-manness" of Chick. Chick was so approachable. You felt like you knew the guy! You felt like he was your favorite old uncle!

Till this day, I still use chick-isms in my personal life. I love phrases like:

"It's a comedy of errors!"

"The mustard came off the hot dog!"

"This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!" - HOWS THAT FOR AN ENDING TO A GAME?!

Chick was definitely the patriarch of the Los Angeles Lakers. I shudder to think what Chick Hearn's opinion of Kobe Bryant and the Lakers today would be. I hate to say it, but it might be one of shame. Did anyone else ever notice that when Chick passed, the Lakers just went down hill, and perhaps, sour?

I remember the day when chick died. My mom came home from work and walked into the kitchen and told me "Chick died." My mom, being the loyal Laker fan that she is, always used to listen to Lakers Live and the games on her way home from work. So she managed to somehow always know news before I did. I definitely remember it like an emotional shot. I think I even shed a tear. I knew it was the end of an era, but the continuation of a life-long LEGEND.

We can only hope Chick is watching over the Lakers and Lakerdom.

Come on, Lakers! Lets make Chicky Baby proud!
Nasty-Nate

Re: Wanted: Your Memories of Chick Hearn

Postby Nasty-Nate on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:26 pm

[/quote]

Does anyone remember the Lakers-Clippers game from the 1994 season. I think it went to double or triple overtime at the forum. Highlights are shown all the time of the final moments with Chick's closing remarks:

"Here's Campbell??? He hasn't made a shot this week................HE MADE IT!!!"
--applause

If anybody remembered Elden Campbell and that week in particular, i think Chick's line was and always will be the funniest line i'll ever hear with regards to basketball.[/quote]

OMG! I REMEMBER THAT! HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH!!. Chicky was a freakin comedian!

Elden Campbell the consistent, perennial under achiever (except when he had that ridiculous run when Shaq got injured).. MAKES A SHOT!

I can't stop laughing. Hahahah! Chick Hearn was not just the greatest sportscaster of all time, he's the wittiest as well.
Nasty-Nate

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:47 pm

I don't remember Chick the announcer at all, but what I do remember is seeing Rick Fox breaking down on national TV when speaking of the man. That says enough for me.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby doggystyl3 on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:46 am

yeah, chick hearn is the reason why I tend to bleed the purple and gold. I remember how he would describe other players on other teams and how nice of a person they were and how great of a family they had. He really brought personality to not only the lakers, but the whole NBA. Chick would shed light on all the players as human beings, and not just athletes. I will never ever forget the days being a kid, 8 years old and up, glued to prime ticket and KCAL, listening to Chick Hearn call the game. I had a fisher price microphone cassette player/ recorder and remember putting it up to the TV speaker and recording some of the games on replay, specifically a home game sometime in 1992-1993 when James Worthy hit a buzzer beater 3 pointer to win the game and Chick Hearn went crazy. I remember playing it over and over because it gave me chills. I even think I still have that tape stored away somewhere.
answers come when the mind is clear
doggystyl3

Postby TalkieWalkie on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:14 pm

The more and more I get to thinking, the more I really believe that Chick Hearn WAS the Lakers and him being gone, the original spirit of the team is gone...now its just a BRAND...

:disagree:
TalkieWalkie

Postby BDG on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:23 pm

Moving this to Site Comments so we still can add to this page.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Previous

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments