Wanted: Your Memories of Chick Hearn

Wanted: Your Memories of Chick Hearn

Postby BDG on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:04 pm

As you know, 5 years ago, we lost a Laker legend when Chick Hearn passed away.

We're currently looking to expand our Remembering Chick page and we'd love to get all your comments in there.

Please give us a couple of paragraphs of your best memories of Chick Hearn and his life.

For examples of what we're looking for, please click the link above.

Please post all your writeups in this thread!
Last edited by BDG on Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Satan on Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:11 pm

Some of my earliest memories of not just the Lakers but my life come from Chick Hearns.

My father would take my sister and I over to his friends' homes to watch games back in the Showtime era. Once I was old enough to care, I noticed that they would always mute the clean sounds on the TV and turn on static filled AM 570. When I asked why, it was just a one word answer.... Chick.

Since his passing, I am just not as good a Laker fan. Chick brought so much to the games, it's just not the same anymore. I always knew when he was with us that he was a very special part of the Laker family but I didn't realize just what a huge part he actually was until he was taken away. To me, Chick personifies the Lakers more than any other person, living or dead.
Peter - "But then Jesus, what religion should our family be?"
Jesus - "Six of one, they're all complete crap."
Satan

Postby Frank The Tank on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:06 pm

My earliest Lakers memories are memories of Chick. I was watching games long before I understood what was happening on the court. But I remember watching the Lakers with my dad in the showtime days and listening to Chick call the game. I miss him so much. :man5:
Frank The Tank

Postby Weezy on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Chick was one of the reasons I began to love the Lakers as a kid. He brought the games to life for me, he made it extra fun, he made me laugh, and I started to look forward to him puting the game in the refrigerator when we were winning. Since he died Laker games haven't been the same. They're always great, but a piece of our team has seemed to just be missing, it'll never be quite the same. He was more than just an annoucer to me as well, he was almost like a friend, a fan himself, a connection to the players as he always told stories of talking to the players on the plane and stuff. His funeral was the first time I was actualy sad when someone I didn't know personaly had died, l was literaly sad and felt like almost crying, it was a very dark day.

I remember seeing Chick in pop culture growing up too and laughing and thinking how cool it was that our announcer was so well known. I saw him as a football announcer in an episode of Rugrats as a kid and he was hilarious in it, Chick really was a joker. Also, they had him in that episode of the Simpsons where Magic pulls a 'homer', very funny. My favorite clip of him is probably the 'wazzzzup' Laker intro though, so hilarious, Chick could definetly make fun of himself.

But you could tell he was a fan, when the Lakers won he was happy, when they were losing or not playing well he would let them have it though, he wouldn't hold back he'd tell it like it was. So many of his terms you still hear referenced today as wel by other announcers and I love when they do that, it's not stealing, it's honoring how great he was. Probably the line that he said that sticks out to me the most when I think of him is when Kobe threw the alley-oop to Shaq to finish off Portland in game 7 of the WCF. Not word for word, but from memory "tell the boys (on the plane or something can't remember) to put away the champagne, and get out the bottled water, 'cause that's all their gonna be drinking on th way home". Great stuff, not everyone can come up with that on the spot like that, the guy was Magic with words.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby hitokiriheero on Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:26 pm

chick was awesome. I like how he would get pissed if the lakers didn't play well and he would reprimand the players; and he commanded the respect to do so. That was awesome. It's not the same listening to joel meyers... Chicken Stew forever!
hitokiriheero

Postby Michael Scott on Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:56 pm

"To me he is the best player in the world right now. That guy doesn't know fear at all. He doesn't care. He would have won it for the Americans single-handedly." Dirk Nowitzki on Kobe
Michael Scott

Postby 10scott10 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:55 pm

back in 2001 someone called in about trading for garnett
Chick Hearn wrote:the chances are slim and none, and slim just left town
10scott10

Postby BDG on Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:57 pm

Hey guys, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but let's please try to not have this be a discussion thread ...

If you like, you can open up a separate Chick thread to talk about him, but I'd like for some writeups that we could feature on the page. Having discussion here would make things a bit of a mess.

Take your time with these, we're in no rush.

Thanks, hope you understand..
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LRD on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:15 pm

Chick was the G.O.A.T. what I remember and thought was the collest is when Chick used to do the UNLV games when they LJ,Augmon and liked to run, he always plugged the Lakes and always used a Laker as the measuring stick of greatness, even when doing college hoops. Chick is da mann!
LRD

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:54 pm

While Chick graced the mic, I was regrettably oblivious to the living legend announcing those games. It's easy to recognize the best in the business while he's here; it's even easier to acknowledge the best of all time when he's gone. His voice will forever be intertwined with the success of the Lakers.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby UKUGA on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:35 am

I grew up in KY, so I didn't have Prime Ticket; but thankfully, I finally got league pass in 1995.

I remember my first game - Lakers at Sacramento, and getting to listen to Chick and Stu do the Lakers game on KCAL 9 was a blast.

I always hated it when they used the other team's broadcast on league pass, because it just wasn't the same without Chick.

I'll never forget the game at Phoenix, in November of that year, when Chick put the game in the refrigerator, only to see the Lakers wound up blowing a 10 point lead the in last 2 minutes, losing on Michael Finley jumper at the buzzer.
Chick was so upset that when the Lakers returned home, Chick put the refrigerator for sale (posting a banner at the Forum).

In December, 2001, I flew my brother down to Houston to see the Lakers play the Rockets. That game ended up being the game that snapped Chick's consecutive games strinks, as he missed it to have a heart procedure.

That spring, I went to San Antonio and saw the Lakers take a 3-1 lead over San Antonio. After the game, I went and stood about 10 rows behind Chick Hearn, and watched as he put the finishing touches on another Lakers play-off victory, in what would prove to be the last championship season we know.
I hollered his name, but was told that he couldn't hear me (due to the microphones). Nonetheless, the moment was surreal, I was seeing a legendary announcerr, in his final days, as Robert Horry, a legendary play-off performer strolled off the court.

That summer, reading about Chick's death was no real surprise, especially after the incident with him getting knocked down by his own car at the gas station but the story was still so depressing. Falling down in his back yard . .

Anyway, Chick was a legend, a Lakers hero, and the truest Laker of them all.

I am so glad that I got to experience his legendary calls before he left this world.

"Where you going Kobe?"

"The jell-o is jiggling!"

"(Spurs' coach) Bob Hill said he didn't think the Lakers were that good. I wonder what he thinks right now?"

" . . . on the simulcast."
"The Lakers need more fans like you!"
- Gary Vitti, to me, in a Cleveland restaurant
UKUGA

Re: Wanted: Your Memories of Chick Hearn

Postby KGInCali on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:58 am

BDG wrote:As you know, 5 years ago, we lost a Laker legend when Chick Hearn passed away.

We're currently looking to expand our Remembering Chick page and we'd love to get all your comments in there.

Please give us a couple of paragraphs of your best memories of Chick Hearn and his life.

For examples of what we're looking for, please click the link above.

Please post all your writeups in this thread!

Does anyone remember the Lakers-Clippers game from the 1994 season. I think it went to double or triple overtime at the forum. Highlights are shown all the time of the final moments with Chick's closing remarks:

"Here's Campbell??? He hasn't made a shot this week................HE MADE IT!!!"
--applause

If anybody remembered Elden Campbell and that week in particular, i think Chick's line was and always will be the funniest line i'll ever hear with regards to basketball.
KGInCali

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:19 am

10scott10 wrote:back in 2001 someone called in about trading for garnett
Chick Hearn wrote:the chances are slim and none, and slim just left town
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby tbs on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:51 pm

Waiting outside the West wing of the old Sports Arena with my friends, having players autograph our programs as they were walking in.

When Chick went to sign my program he said, "Here, I'll sign it on the inside, son. The cover should be for the players."
tbs

Postby LkrsOvrMia on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:48 pm

tbs wrote:Waiting outside the West wing of the old Sports Arena with my friends, having players autograph our programs as they were walking in.

When Chick went to sign my program he said, "Here, I'll sign it on the inside, son. The cover should be for the players."
:bow:
"Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael?" Rick Reilly

Bryant, who will be representing Team USA for the first time, told Gasol: "Being that we lost this series, you (guys) have no chance at a gold medal. I ain't goin' 0 for 2, homie."
LkrsOvrMia

Location: "Sittin' on top of the world with my legs hanging free." -Dave Matthews

Postby lakeshow2k4 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:38 am

I used to love the fact that at the Forum, you could walk right past Chick and Stu. After a win in the 98 playoffs against Seattle, I walked by Chick's area and screamed "Bring on the Bulls!" and Chick looks up and goes "careful what you wish for, son" classic
lakeshow2k4

Postby LMate on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:18 pm

I moved to Southern California from the east coast when I was 10, in 1969.

My first year as a Laker fan was the year (69-70) of the game 7 loss to the Knicks (the Willis Reed game). When I got home from school that day, I laid on the couch ALL AFTERNOON, in front of the tv, in anticipation of the game, and then ... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Bill Walton has said, if you grew up in LA as a Laker fan you grew up with Chick Hearn. How many evenings did I sit around with my dad and family cracking up at some of the things Chick would come up with? Even in games that were blowouts Chick could keep you tuned in to the end, somehow he could make them entertaining.

I recall being in my bedroom listening Chick call Jerry West's 60 footer at the buzzer against the Knicks in the finals one year, alas, the Laker's lost the game.

And, oh, I suffered with Chick through those terrible years in the late 70's when we had Kareem, but had old slow guys at guard like Lou Hudson and Ron Boone (thank goodness a guy named Norm Nixon was drafted!). Then the wonderful "Showtime" years, followed by more dry years and then Shaq, Kobe, etc.

Anyway, my biggest memory of Chick was in the Phoenix series in 1970 (I believe) when the Lakers were down 3 -1 and came back and won. We were on vacation somewhere in the desert and my dad and I left my mother and sister in the motel room and drove around in the car for an hour or so listening (the radio reception was crackling and going in and out) to the thrilling end to one of the games (in which Gail Goodrich banked in a shot while reaching out from under the basket - later I went to the Goodrich/Baylor Basketball Camp in Santa Barbara and Gail demonstrated this shot for us campers). The Lakers won the game in the last minute!

That night is something I'll always remember, a special moment that I shared with my father, and Chick is right there in my memory, like one of the family.
LMate

Postby hgo on Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:33 pm

"A three peat and a sweet fo the World champions Los Angeles Lakers"
:jam2:
Clic on Hgo's eye to read about your Lakers in French
hgo

Postby DMK on Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:56 pm

Hmm.... not sure how to put this, but ill just say that the one thing thats always stuck in my mind about chick was his Iron man streak.... all of the games he called without missing a spot. I remember in 95' during Cal Ripken Jr's Baseball Consecutive Game's Played Iron Man Streak, here in Baltimore they did a story about how Chick was a True Iron Man too for his streak and i thought it was a great piece and how truley loyal and dedicated (And Tough!) Chicky Baby was....

One in a Lifetime type of guy.....

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby LRD on Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:17 am

Chicks man loved for Eddie Jones always cracked me up, he must have called EJ, "handsome kid " 20+ times. It sounds gay, but coming out of Chicks mouth it was kinda gangster.
LRD

Postby KB8SD on Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:18 pm

Here's a tribute mix done by LS09 a few years back.

I uploaded it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6nmKmDip_k.

Enjoy !
KB8SD

Postby CJ on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:30 pm

I first started to visit the Southen California area in 1998

Thats when I first fell in love with the Lakers and it was in part to Chicks Legendary broadcasts. I will always remember the way he was able to make any game or any situation interesting.

I just wish I would have been been blessed with the opportunity to hear Chicks commentary for more years than I did.

R.I.P Chick
You are sorely missed.
CJ
England's Lakers Rep

Postby UKUGA on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 am

LRD wrote:Chicks man loved for Eddie Jones always cracked me up, he must have called EJ, "handsome kid " 20+ times. It sounds gay, but coming out of Chicks mouth it was kinda gangster.

I remember him calling Avery Johnson, "a cute little guy," once.

Stu Lantz sat silent.
"The Lakers need more fans like you!"
- Gary Vitti, to me, in a Cleveland restaurant
UKUGA

Postby CheezStake on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:33 am

Just like Satan posted before, my brother and I used to watch the Laker games on TV, turn off the sound, and blast Chick on radio simulcast. He was quite visual with his descriptions of the action on the court. He was entertaining first, informative second.

Classic lines that became Chickisms:

"He did the bunny-hop-in-the-pea-patch" (travelling)
"Yo-yoing up and down" (dribbling)
"The mustard came off the hot dog" (bad pass)

and countless others.....
CheezStake

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:38 am

My Breakfast With Chick.

I believe I posted this experience a couple of years ago, but I can't find it using the search feature, so I'll (try to) briefly recount what happened.

It was the year that Magic returned to the Lakers, after his "hiatus" to get himself treated after the HIV diagnosis. I had an idea for a product to be sold in the arena at the gift stands. It was a "Chick's Fridge" cap, that had a graphic embroidered image of the inside of a refirgerator containing eggs, butter and jello and a sewn-on flap that when closed over the interior contents, had the words "Chick's Fridge" on it. The idea was that crazy fans (like myself) would wear it, and when Chick announced, "this game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin!", everyone would slam the door shut on their fridge cap (it had a little velcro "latch.")

Anyways, goofy idea, whatever. Since I wanted to use Chick's name, I asked my licensing agent to try and contact him, to see if it would be alright. She called me a few days later and said that she had left a message for him and that he returned her call in prompt fashion. Chick thought the idea was funny and that he'd like to see it before he signs off on it. I said I could messenger a prototype over to him, but she said he'd like to have breakfast with you when you're available. When I'M available???

So fast forward a week. I walk into Nate and Al's in Beverly Hills at 9:05 a.m. and he's already sitting at a table with a newspaper and a cup of coffee, looking at his watch. Yikes. I walk over and introduce myself and he flashes a huge smile, askes me to please sit down, calls the waitress over and tells her to bring "my friend" a cup of coffee.

If I recall, it was the beginning of training camp, and before we talked business, he spoke openly and candidly about Magic's situation and the team's prospects for the new season. We had a good 20 minute conversation about basketball before my licensing agent (a very attractive) woman in her 50s arrived and joined us (late.) Chick had jokingly asked me beforehand what she looked like.

Bear with me as I digress for a moment. Years before, (when Kareen came into the league with the Bucks, and Chamberlain was our center,) my mom had numerous hip surgeries, concurrently within a few days of each other. It was a lengthy hospital stay for her, and she was a bit down emotionally. My mom, who passed away two months ago, was a HUGE Lakers fan. Even at an opera my dad had taken her to, she sat with an earphone listening to the Lakers game on a transistor radio. Gotta love that. Anyway, while she was in the hospital, I called the Laker's PR department and asked if Chick could mention her on the broadcast that evening. They said it was highly doubtful, as he gets tons of these kinds of requests for each game. I said thanks and faxed them the information anyways. Later that night, as my mom listened to the game in her hospital room, Kareem had just swatted Wilt's fadeaway into the seats (NOBODY does that to Wilt), Chick chimed in with... "And get well fast, Julie, the Lakers' family needs you back in the fold." Wow. I still have that recorded on cassette. Needless to say, my mom was beyond elated.

Back to Nate and Al's: So, we're chatting about everything and anything while we're waiting for my agent to arrive, and I mention the time, years ago that he gave a mention to my mom while she was in the hospital and how it lifted her spirits. He thinks for a brief moment, then says, "Yes, didn't she have hip surgery or something like that?" I was speechless. Here was a very busy man, who had great demands on his time, who remembered making mention of my mom many years before. Wow.

So, Shary (agent) arrives and the three of us order breakfast, eat, then turn our attention to the "Chick's Fridge" cap. Chick starts laughing, reaches across the table and puts it on my head, slams the fabric door shut and says he loves it! Anyway, to make a long story even longer, he says he'll put me in touch with the merchandise team and the people who run the concessions. I was very excited. After about 90 minues, we took our last sips of morning coffee, and he insisted on paying the bill. We walked to the parking lot together, exchanged warm handshakes and both said that we'd both be in touch.

Over the next few weeks, Chick helped connect me with the folks I needed to talk to. The project never got off the ground, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. I worked with the merchandising team, but the cap, as I envisioned it, was just too expensive to produce, and wouldn't bear the point of purchase price it needed to sell at to turn a profit.

Strangely, I was only mildly disappointed. For what had started out as a business venture, yielded a rare opportunity to meet a truly amazing, sweet, generous human being. That was the greatest reward of all.
Alleyhoops

Next

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments