What's killing this site

What's killing this site

Postby Mastermixer on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Every time I check clublakers out its the same topics on up top.

Kobe discussion
Pau discussion
Earl Clark discussion

These are threads that are houndeds of pages long where everything and anything that mentions that players name must be categorized into one of those threads.

If someone post an article about Kobe by Woj as its own thread he gets a "that belongs in Kobe discussion".

The problem with this system is that the artle get posted on page 102, then there is 3 pages of discussion about it after. And it's lost forever to someone who didn't see it when it was the top page.

Can't we let every article and interview be its own thread. And leave the discussion threads for just chatter about that player?

Just my constructive opinion.
Lakers Fan Since 1993
Mastermixer

Re: What's killing this site

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm

I don't think every single article should get it's own thread, that would just push threads that get talked about the most to the dreaded 2nd page.

Maybe have a couple different threads for....

ESPN Insider articles...

Yahoo from Wojo...

LA Times with Pincus/Simers/etc.

Something like that and updating the thread title of that thread for the most recent article. The above I mentioned are where 95% of the articles come from on here.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby trodgers on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. We've had this conversation a bunch of times. There are two things I guess your post does. First, it suggests that the site is dying. I think it's stronger than it was last season, but we'd sure like to make it stronger still.

Second, it suggests that "the reason" for a dropoff is how threads are handled. I think the server problems were the main culprit, to be honest.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Mastermixer on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Sorry, I guess I should I said, "what's killing the site for me". I still think I probably represent some segment of the visitors here.

And to Doc. What's worse an article burried on page 116 out of 130, or page 2 of the site...
And the website format tells you if you've read a thread before by have a purple basketball instead or a glowing gold one. So if you see the every thread is glowing gold, then go to pg 2.

Thanks trodgers for the response, I see guys have already given this some thought now. I just want to say one more time. For me personally, this used be the only site I got my basketball info, now I check like 3 sites instead of this one. And only come here for the Doom. ( which is still the best thread on the net)
Lakers Fan Since 1993
Mastermixer

Postby trodgers on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:39 am

Let me ask a few questions to see if we can come away with a satisfied customer :)

1. Kobe, Gasol, and Clark all have more than one thread on the first page alone (2 for Gasol and Clark; 3 for Kobe). Is it possible that you're looking for particular threads instead of looking at what's there?

2. What do you think about Doc's suggestion for having a structured way of permitting multiple threads from different sources?

3. Are you aware of the "find unread" button by each thread? It takes you right to the first message you haven't read in that thread. It's right next to the glowing basketball.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Mastermixer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Ha happy to help.

I often browse on my iPhone. I don't use any third party apps like tapatalk.

While browsing on my phone it just isn't convenient to go to the last unread post. Then go page by page until you find some new info. I often skip fans opinions, cuz frankly I don't care, sometimes to do read a few of them.

I do not like the idea of espn article threads.... "Thread categories" it puts too much pressure on the OP to figure out a correct location, and to much work again for the viewer to look through an espn thread then a yahoo thread then a la times thread.

I can't think of anything that would work better then every seperate article having its own thread. Obviously, if espn announces that Pau has been traded. Then yahoo announces pau has been traded five min later, there shouldn't be two threads. First I doubt someone would post the second thread, and if they do it should be deleted.

I equate the policy of having every idea/ article being its own thread to having a free market economy with some regulation. If a thread gets relegated to the second page because you didn't see it quickly enough and never got bumped, it prob wasn't that good.

Plus seperate threads is just easier to look at while on the go on my phone.
Lakers Fan Since 1993
Mastermixer

Postby Weezy on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:24 pm

But how do we then regulate what atricles warrant their own thread? Do only LA Times, OC Register, Yahoo, SI, etc articles deserve threads, how do we know what's worthwhile and what to lock? Do only Bresnahan and plaschke articles make it, not Simers? Do only Ding articles make it because Carr writes small stuff? Only Woj not Dwyer? That's why IMO most articles about players going in their specific threads works, it can all go there and not have to be decided on about locking or not. Tweets, blogs, articles, they all get to go there no matter how important or silly. Some articles already so get their own threads though, not everything gets put in those threads for certain players. And then team articles always get their own threads too. So I don't know, I think things are done pretty close to perfectly now, if every article gets it's own thread there's clutter, if threads get locked for being less important articles and to keep the place more organized people get mad, can't please everyone. Lastly I have to say I browse this site I would say at least 75% of the time from my iPhone, and I haven't encountered any of the issues you bring up, I never have an issue finding an article or tweet or anything like that after a quick browse, and most of the time the current most important articles and the page numbers they're on is posted in a thread title.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm still thinking about this. I totally "get" the concern. I'm trying to come up with something that's even a possible candidate for replacing the current system.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JGC on Fri May 17, 2013 4:58 pm

What if we just let thread that have their own unique topic, stand on their own? For instance, if it's a thread about Kobe's shooting or passing, then, as long as people discuss that and only that it can stand on its own.

But if it's a new thread about a picture of Kobe's foot post-surgery, well, then it can probably be merged in with the general Kobe discussion.

Not a black or white issue either way, so not an easy one to solve. But the problem is that people seem to get agitated about any non-positive comments in a player's 'official' thread which I get to some degree but then there is no other allowable place to do that either.
JGC

Postby Steve on Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Yeah as someone who tends to read more thhn post, I find threads being over 100 pages, INSANE to work through, yeah I know about the ball, but the discussion changes, and even if I wanted to post, once the topic has been changed it's kinda like, I'm not going to be that guy to bring it back to a subject discussed a few days ago in that thread, where as, if I went a page or 2, all I would have to do is merely bump the thread and add my input, hope it helps, I love the board, and check it as often as I could, you guys do a great job
Steve

Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments