Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby Dr Dr Jeckyl on Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:45 pm

From a thread on the future of sports.
strikemode14 wrote:
Dr Dr Jeckyl wrote:Well I'm gonna post this here since somebody locked my "taco" rant thread under Lakers discussion. And first off, that thread was good for some laughs and embedded in it was the fact that i really don't like the Laker taco giveaways because it messes with the purity of the game . Some people thought it was "epic" but apparently a moderator got heavy handed (why?) and locked the thread. My guess is that the moderator was one of the people who didn't get the humor, which is maybe why the thread worked for other people in the first place. Well you'll probably censor this, too, which is sad. More sad for you than me. This is all relevant to the current thread, so I'll post this and maybe overzealous moderators won't get too bent about a dissenting opinion.

TWO KEY POINTS:
Obviously. And that's my take whether or not somebody with edit/delete priviledges agrees or not. But the growing trend is toward a rigidity in thought and action that didn't exist before. It's there, and it is in some of you... if you choose to see it.


To be honest man if you have a probelm with the moderating staff it's inappropriate you to go on a tirade about them in a random post. Either PM mod or go to the sites/suggestion part to air your griveance.

So be it. Here it is.
Dr. Dr. Jeckyl
User avatar
Dr Dr Jeckyl

 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby Helljumper on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:31 pm

I know you were sarcastically trying to get a point across, but let's be honest, that quickly became a joke topic that had nothing to do with the Lakers. Just my opinion though.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14834
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby Dr Dr Jeckyl on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:40 pm

Helljumper wrote:I know you were sarcastically trying to get a point across, but let's be honest, that quickly became a joke topic that had nothing to do with the Lakers. Just my opinion though.


Well I'm NOT denying that there was a strong attempt (at least) at humor. Looks like some folks didn't get the allusions to Iverson, Chamberlain, etc. But the issue of tacos at Lakers games, and its effects on the game itself is on topic

TWO KEY POINTS THAT WERE EMBEDDED IN THE THREAD:

1) The NASCARization of sports. Advertising everywhere. The end of the game, especially when the opponents have been shut down, was once a time of good sportsmanship and relaxation. Now, each moment of the contest is about advertising and conditioning the observer to buy, buy, buy. This is not a trivial thing, and the whole taco giveaway is a manifestation of this. Get it? The thread was about that, too, along with the humor

2) The dumbing down of sports and the people who follow it. Back in the day, the focus was on detailed aspects of the game. And the game took place in the context of a population that valued education, free speech, free thinking, and open debate. People valued your ability (we used to call these things "rights") to say something, even if they didn't agree with it. Now, the game operates in the service of conformity. The games become inane, leading the culture into shallowness and non critical thinking. That's the POINT, not just the point of the humor.
Dr. Dr. Jeckyl
User avatar
Dr Dr Jeckyl

 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby Dr Dr Jeckyl on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:44 pm

Anyway, this is the appropriate place to say it, so I will... Moderation at this site seems waaayyyy too heavy handed at times. I get that it takes work to prevent spammers and destructive elements at any site, especially a sports site. But this wasn't any kind of that.
Dr. Dr. Jeckyl
User avatar
Dr Dr Jeckyl

 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby Dr Dr Jeckyl on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:45 pm

LOL, mods. Do it your way, ignore my query. But recognize that the thread didn't violate site rules, nor did it violate the spirit or intent of this place. On topic (something that happens during Lakers games), No mean spiritedness, no flaming, etc. No harm, no foul.

1) Swearing is prohibited.
2) Flaming is prohibited.
3) Illegal file sharing is prohibited.
4) Maximum signature size is 468x100 pixels.
5) Excessive baiting will not be tolerated.
6) All member or staff problems are to be resolved via the PM system.
7) Spamming will not be allowed at Clublakers.
8) Nudity, sexual content, or any other inappropriate material is prohibited.

See, wasn't that easy?


Yes, it was. The part I don't get is the arbitrary, unexplained locking of a perfectly legit thread...
Dr. Dr. Jeckyl
User avatar
Dr Dr Jeckyl

 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby from714to402 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:50 pm

^^You do realize that Mods aren't on here 24/7 right? And if the Mod that locked it hasn't logged on today, then there is no way for them to tell you why.

Just sayin'.
Image
User avatar
from714to402

 
Posts: 8189
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: The 402

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby ZenMaster4President on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:55 pm

You are one attention seeker, aren't you?

Damn...
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
User avatar
ZenMaster4President

 
Posts: 5535
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:17 pm

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby Helljumper on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:58 pm

But if you wanted to start a legit discussion than you should've just posted what you did in the OP of this thread. There wasn't any semblance of a discussion about the Lakers in that thread. It went from a sarcastic jab at something slightly related to the Lakers, to a discussion about tacos and Jack in the Box in general, to a topic about "pink tacos." That topic had the potential to turn into a serious one, but you continued to derail it right from the start with your exaggerated joke responses. While I admit it was funny, at the end it was just 3 pages of BS. It's easy to see why it was locked and I don't understand why you're continuing to take jabs at the mods.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14834
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby Dr Dr Jeckyl on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm not taking "jabs." I'm not that hostile and they aren't that weak. I'm just looking for an explanation... from them, not you... whenever they show up.

By the way, I think you missed some of the humor, as well as the serious content, as was evident from your post. For instance, the hilarious pink tacos riff from realdeal wasn't exactly about typical tacos, nor was it exactly serious, so you are suggesting that I derailed somebody else's derailing of the thread. And THAT, my friend, is funny.

There was discussion of the merits of the tacos at Lakers games, and the post I had typed in and was about to put up before the thread got locked was a summary of the serious points (see above).

And it isn't about attention seeking. This is (at least in my case) anonymous. I'm just bummed that the thread (which I was enjoying along with some others) got locked.
Dr. Dr. Jeckyl
User avatar
Dr Dr Jeckyl

 
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby gcclaker on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Expounded on therealdeal's bit...did not push it further lest I get the dreaded notice...then moved on to watch the rest of the carnage from the sidelines. Put in one "serious" post...then saw the lock.
No siggie...
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15152
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby strikemode14 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Dr Dr Jeckyl wrote:LOL, mods. Do it your way, ignore my query. But recognize that the thread didn't violate site rules, nor did it violate the spirit or intent of this place. On topic (something that happens during Lakers games), No mean spiritedness, no flaming, etc. No harm, no foul.

1) Swearing is prohibited.
2) Flaming is prohibited.
3) Illegal file sharing is prohibited.
4) Maximum signature size is 468x100 pixels.
5) Excessive baiting will not be tolerated.
6) All member or staff problems are to be resolved via the PM system.
7) Spamming will not be allowed at Clublakers.
8) Nudity, sexual content, or any other inappropriate material is prohibited.

See, wasn't that easy?


Yes, it was. The part I don't get is the arbitrary, unexplained locking of a perfectly legit thread...



First and foremost we have things called LIVES. We aren't on here all the time.
Secondly if you are really want to stay on the forum I highly suggest you calm down and start trying to pick fights with mods or with anyone b/c as you listed is number 5 on the list..excessive baiting..Oh and BTW if you wanted a quicker response read #6 on that list.

Thirdly I didn't lock your thread but I read it.

Let's see on your list..

It violated #7 I assume you can read but just in case it says Spamming will not be allowed on Clublakers. Most of your posts were flat out stupid and spamming. People couldn't even figure out WTH you were talking about. It was just a bunch of spamming/ pad posting.

Now you know why your crappy topic was locked.

Finally before you make your next post in this thread I highly suggest you make it good b/c depending on what you say it maybe your last one. If you think I am joking on that trust me I'm not.
Strikemode14 is the greatest.

http://gprime.net/flash.php/postingandyou


]
User avatar
strikemode14
Forum Manager
 
Posts: 22095
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:04 pm
Location: savannah

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Dr Dr Jeckyl wrote:1) The NASCARization of sports. Advertising everywhere. The end of the game, especially when the opponents have been shut down, was once a time of good sportsmanship and relaxation. Now, each moment of the contest is about advertising and conditioning the observer to buy, buy, buy. This is not a trivial thing, and the whole taco giveaway is a manifestation of this. Get it? The thread was about that, too, along with the humor

2) The dumbing down of sports and the people who follow it. Back in the day, the focus was on detailed aspects of the game. And the game took place in the context of a population that valued education, free speech, free thinking, and open debate. People valued your ability (we used to call these things "rights") to say something, even if they didn't agree with it. Now, the game operates in the service of conformity. The games become inane, leading the culture into shallowness and non critical thinking. That's the POINT, not just the point of the humor.


I understand your logic in these arguments, but why take it out on ONE aspect of one sports teams games?

What you state is legit, and 100% true. BUT, you swear like it only happens with the Lakers. Advertising and commercialization are EVERYWHERE.

EVERYWHERE.

If you have a problem with tacos and basketball, I can think of a million more things you have a problem with in this country. I'm not saying it's right, but it's definitely nothing new.

Capitalism and commercialism are the staples of this country. It's the reason we have a team like the Lakers in the first place.

Good argument and underlying point, I just don't see the point in singling this incident out, and maybe that's why the Mods had a problem with it.

BTW, I made absolutely NO Iverson/Chamberlain parallels. I might need some help there.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3219
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Why was the taco rant thread locked?

Postby trodgers on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 pm

Oh, I locked it. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46213
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando


Return to Site Rules, Suggestions and Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.