Brown deal done?

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:38 pm

abeer3 wrote:
VerbalMilk wrote:What I ALSO find hilarious is how some of you who are in favor of bringing in A HEADCASE like RON ARTEST are trying to accuse Kwame of being a MALCONTENT! :man10:

i hear you verbal. more irony: the people who are on the bash kwame train are largely the same synchophants that bash kobe in the media. popular opinion is just popular, not always correct...

EXACTAMUNDO, dawg!

(Good lawd, please tell me I'm not using Fonziisms now! :man3: )

Postby maddprophet on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:39 pm

wingnut-

who would you recommend??

as a pf/c that is??
Spark the ism, my expertism, is lyricism, my flow will take you over, like I was hypnotism..so where's the lighter....
maddprophet

Postby Coville on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:39 pm

lakerstuntman wrote:maybe if we trade butler in a package to wizard for brown and gilbert! i would be happy with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah cuz that makes so much sense :man3:
Coville

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:39 pm

GuRu wrote:
wingnut wrote:Yawn. no one is saying they wouldnt trade caron. Kwame is an idiot. He is soft, he quits, doesnt use is whatever to his advantage. Low BBall IQ. he is RYAN LEAF. Where will his minutes come from. Turiaf, Mihm, Bynum. All 3 of these guys have as much POTENTIAL as Kwame. the dude is a quiter. he mopes on the bench. If your going to go out on a limb and make a trade, get someone that shows Moxy. And yes you will have mitch haters and caron lovers. ITS CALLED AN OPINION. I have seen Kwame play. the dude plays like hes 6'6. We have plenty of those

And (just playing Devils advocate here) people could make a case for Kwame as well. Hes an athletic 7 footer, still young, showed some potential last year,s teadily improving, only 22 like Jermain O'Neal comparison, ect....

JO always had a nasty streak. Kwames fine. We need PRODUCTION. I will take solid role/bench guys for Caron. I dont need expect a stud. I would love Mike James for him

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:40 pm

etowler wrote:Just a random thought here....I see you all going back and forth about Brown vs. Butler. Admittedly, I don't know very much about Brown, but as a die-hard Laker fan, I know true heart when I see it. And that's what I see when I watch Caron Butler play. Say what you want about numbers and stats, but apparently you can't teach the intangibles. Caron really feels like a Laker to me. Certainly more than another "possible future breakout star". All you real fans out there: do you really want to be so quick to ship out one of the best elements of last season? He's a good guy and plays his a** off, every game, every play.
Anyway, that's my take, so go ahead and let the bashing begin.
It's my first real post, so please, be gentle.
Rock on, Laker freaks!!

Welcome aboard, dawg.

And no one's gonna bash you on saying Caron has heart, the dude is solid through and through, but he's not a NEED as much as PF/C is.

Wizard Hype

Postby Whatthef? on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:42 pm

Washington is just trying to put value on a player worth nothing. The Lakers are short on shooting guards and already have projects on the front line. Right now Cook is better than Brown. Brown is only worth a second round pick and they know it, this is just Vescey BS. If Mitch pulls the switch on this I am becoming a Clipper fan.
Whatthef?

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:43 pm

maddprophet wrote:wingnut-

as a pf/c that is??

EXACTLY! I see where you're goin' with this, maddP... :man1:

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:43 pm

wingnut wrote:JO always had a nasty streak. Kwames fine. We need PRODUCTION. I will take solid role/bench guys for Caron. I dont need expect a stud. I would love Mike James for him

no offense, wingnut, but i'm glad you're not the lakers gm. mike james? for caron?
abeer3

Re: Wizard Hype

Postby GuRu on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Whatthef? wrote:If Mitch pulls the switch on this I am becoming a Clipper fan.

Well then peace homie. the lakers dont need fans that would jump ship that easily. Cry and switch teams when things dont go your way? You sound like a Clippers fan already....
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

Postby maddprophet on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:45 pm

being for this trade in no way shape or form is a dis towards caron.

i love the guy. he was great this year, and i believe he will be a phenominal player. unfortunately, we need lo at the 3, so where does caron fit in??

we're not gonna be able to match his offers after next year, so we need to get something for him now. especially since he is the one player with real trade value on this team.

it's strictly business, not personal. caron is great, but like it's been said, he aint controlling the paint for us. kwame will come in and be a presence. he just needs a fresh start and support and guidence.

do not forget who will be guiding this young man from here on out as a laker. :man7:
Spark the ism, my expertism, is lyricism, my flow will take you over, like I was hypnotism..so where's the lighter....
maddprophet

Postby JediRekal on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:45 pm

Whatthef? wrote:Washington is just trying to put value on a player worth nothing. The Lakers are short on shooting guards and already have projects on the front line. Right now Cook is better than Brown. Brown is only worth a second round pick and they know it, this is just Vescey BS. If Mitch pulls the switch on this I am becoming a Clipper fan.

How about you just become a clipper fan now. :man2:

Let the TRUE Laker fans support! I'm down with Kwame. We don't need Butler! We need BIGS!!! What if Mitch's only other option is PJ Brown for Caron? Caron's trade value is high on this board because we are Laker fans. Bigs are hard to get!
JediRekal

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:46 pm

abeer3 wrote:
wingnut wrote:JO always had a nasty streak. Kwames fine. We need PRODUCTION. I will take solid role/bench guys for Caron. I dont need expect a stud. I would love Mike James for him

no offense, wingnut, but i'm glad you're not the lakers gm. mike james? for caron?

A guy who plays ridiculous defense. The same guy Larry Brown said he would be missed most this year. A guy that can fill it up. A guy who can play the 1. He is a poor mans JOE JOhnson but with way better D. Your right James for Caron would be a mistake.......for the rockets.

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:47 pm

Whatthef? wrote:Washington is just trying to put value on a player worth nothing. The Lakers are short on shooting guards and already have projects on the front line. Right now Cook is better than Brown. Brown is only worth a second round pick and they know it, this is just Vescey BS. If Mitch pulls the switch on this I am becoming a Clipper fan.

and if kwame works out perfect for us. silently u'd be the biggest bandwagoner of all time. caron is not really a sg. jumaine does the same things and he's a much better shooter and possibly better rebounder. in athletic ability they're about the same, caron being slightly quicker.

imma remain neutral for now. anything thats makes us better, even if it hurts my heart to see a favorite leave or pass up on a possible superstar in the making.

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:47 pm

Sweet. It's only my 20th post and I got like 50 some odd responses! :man1: The thing is, all I was asking was if someone could confirm ESPNews saying this. Honestly, I think we are getting had if it's just Butler for Kwame. I don't think Butler is super or anything, but I think we should make sure to get JUan Dixon in the deal as well or something like that. Chucky and Butler for Kwame and Dixon.

Here's what worries me about this trade. This will obviously be done only if Kwame signs a long term deal, meaning we destroy any chance we have at cap space come 2007. Basically all our hopes as Lakers fans for the next 6 years rest on the shoulders of Bynum and Kwame. Any way you look at it, that's the truth. Our rebuilding project centers around two young unproven bigman. It could work out to be a dynasty of epic proportions. It could end up being lottery for 6-7 years.
Savory Griddles

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:48 pm

wingnut wrote:
abeer3 wrote:

A guy who plays ridiculous defense. The same guy Larry Brown said he would be missed most this year. A guy that can fill it up. A guy who can play the 1. He is a poor mans JOE JOhnson but with way better D. Your right James for Caron would be a mistake.......for the rockets.

:man3:

i have no response for that. lunacy.
abeer3

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:48 pm

abeer3 wrote:

Mike James? Yeah, that makes sense - Trade a 6'7 dude for a 6'2 dude THAT PHIL DOESN'T EVEN LIKE? :man3: :man4:

Postby sunhills on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:49 pm

GuRu wrote:My sources say this thread will reach 15 pages by tommorrow :man1:

I think we are on track, we've hit 5 pages...
sunhills

Postby maddprophet on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:50 pm

abeer-

i'm saying, mike james?? wtf!

time will tell, and mitch will be vindicated.
maddprophet

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:50 pm

maddprophet wrote:wingnut-

as a pf/c that is??

Mihm, Turiaf, Grant, Slava, Bynum, Doughit. Does Kwame make this group that much better? NO. So wasting what is our ONLY apparent trade bait for just another all hype underachiever is not smart. We did that. Sign Marshal or some other trade bait. Caron off the bench would be a good thing.

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:50 pm

From the Philadelphia Inquirer

Wizards seeking Lakers' Butler in deal

By David Aldridge

Inquirer Staff Writer

LAS VEGAS - The Washington Wizards, stung by the loss of free agent Larry Hughes to the Cavaliers, may be able to stanch the sting.

Sources involved with the discussions say that the Wizards are talking to the Los Angeles Lakers about a sign-and-trade deal in which forward Kwame Brown, the top pick in the 2001 NBA draft, would go to the Lakers in exchange for swingman Caron Butler.

The Wizards have other options on the table that could bring them a much-needed big man in return for Brown, but Butler would make a lot of sense.

Butler has been available during most of his yearlong stay in Los Angeles. If the Lakers move him and, as expected, release forward Brian Grant in order to save money under the luxury tax, they would have precious little to show for their blockbuster trade of Shaquille O'Neal to Miami.

At home in Portland? Nate McMillan looks odd in a Portland Trail Blazers polo shirt.

But here he is, at the Las Vegas Summer League, looking at his backcourt of the future - Sebastian Telfair and first-round pick Martell Webster. That may be about all McMillan has to look forward to in the immediate future because the Blazers are officially rebuilding. Well, that and the $25 million that owner Paul Allen will be sending McMillan's way.

Seeing McMillan with the Blazers and not with the Seattle Sonics - the team he played with and coached for 19 years - is odd. But it also feels right.

"I was just feeling that maybe it's time to go, maybe it's time to change, go a different direction," he said. "At the beginning of [last] season, I had prepared myself. Everybody was saying I was on the hot seat. I heard 'dead man walking' and all of that stuff that was said. So I kind of prepared myself for the possibility that if I had to move, it wouldn't be a surprise to me."

But the Sonics surprised just about everyone by winning the Northwest Division and making the second round of the playoffs. And when Ray Allen agreed to an $80 million contract at the start of free agency, many assumed that McMillan would stay. But he turned down what he deemed a fair offer to move about a half-hour (by plane) south. Of course, it's a world removed in terms of atmosphere. The Blazers have put the "t" in turmoil.

Part of the reason for his move is that McMillan wasn't certain about the Sonics' future. Even after agreeing to terms with Allen, Seattle has eight free agents.

But the bigger reason for the move may have been the Sonics' unwillingness to give McMillan a permanent position in the organization after he was done coaching.

"The money was fair for a coach coming in," McMillan said. "But for someone that's been there 19 years - I couldn't risk it. If I'm here 23 years and I walk away or I get let go, you forget about me like [Gary] Payton. Or you forget about me like Shaquille [O'Neal]."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact staff writer David Aldridge at 215-854-5516 or daldridge@phillynews.com.
zetaw00d

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:51 pm

Did I mention it's only CARON FREAKIN' BUTLER?

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:52 pm

VerbalMilk wrote:
abeer3 wrote:

Mike James? Yeah, that makes sense - Trade a 6'7 dude for a 6'2 dude THAT PHIL DOESN'T EVEN LIKE? :man3: :man4:

Of course PJ doesnt like Mike James. I just forgot where that link is. Show me. James killed the lakers in the finals. james is the deal, he is a great defender at the 1, who can shoot. Sorry you guys dont know players without shoe deals.

Postby NormNix on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:53 pm

wingnut wrote:Mitch is under the Guise that PJ can win with anyone. So hes trying to strike gold for when PJs gone. Thats fine on 1 player, 2 players etc. this is getting out of hand. Bynam is our future, Mihm is our now. If hes not then trade him. We should get more from Caron.

I couldn't cosign harder wingnut. This trade would have made since before we got bynum. But we need to revisit Magloire and be willing to give them mihm for him.
NormNix

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:55 pm

wingnut wrote:
VerbalMilk wrote:
abeer3 wrote:

Of course PJ doesnt like Mike James. I just forgot where that link is. Show me. James killed the lakers in the finals. james is the deal, he is a great defender at the 1, who can shoot. Sorry you guys dont know players without shoe deals.

What I mean by "Doesn't like" is PHIL DOESN'T LIKE SHORT PGs. He inherited BJ but after he got a taste of the triangle with a 6'6 Harper running PG, he fell in love with that concept. He didn't like Fish, so he brought in Harper to run the triangle. So Phil doesn't like SHORT PGs, and Mike James is 6'2. So at his height that tells us what? = Not only is Mike James not on the Laker radar, he isn't even in the Lakers Galaxy. :man12: :man13:
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GuRu on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:56 pm

VerbalMilk wrote:Did I mention it's only CARON FREAKIN' BUTLER?

Check the sig!
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors