C Butler for K Brown according to Vecsey in the NY Post

Postby gill on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:16 am

Why not Etan Thomas? :bang:
gill

Postby CHtongueEEK on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:21 am

Jerry West wants Kwame, is anyone here questioning West's eye for talent? Isnt West considerd by some to be the best GM EVER? (he traded for an 18 year old Kobe did he not)
CHtongueEEK

Postby LakersCourt on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:32 am

Mitch....if you do this I will never say a bad thing ever about you. Kwame is going to be HUGE, and if he gets traded and he does well, I don't want to hear any of you guys here saying, "Oh, I knew Mitch was a genius I knew Kwame had it in him". If Washington were willing to go staright up for Caron Butler for Kwame Brown...I'd do it in a second!!! I am EXTREMLY HIGH on Kwame Brown and think before his career is over he will be an All-Star Forward.

I agree, in a perfect world, I would trade Caron Butler and Devean George for Kwame Brown and Washington's 2006 1st Round Pick(unprotected) :man13:
LakersCourt

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:36 am

abeer3 wrote:that's risky. wow. of course, has vecsey ever been right? anyway, i will note one thing: look at the other two gms in the bidding: two of the best in the business. kwame has all of the natural tools, it's just so tough to be the team that takes a risk on this kid after what has happened so far in his career. but i totally understand the interest. dude is 7ft tall, 260 lbs, cut out of stone, athletic, and actually an underrated passer. downside is that after 4 years in the league, he still looks absolutely lost on the floor, and has some problems off of it. caron is probably too much to give up, though, unless the wiz are throwing something else of value in the deal.

couldn´t have said it better. Kwame is a very intriguing prospect (after 4 years still a prospect :bang: ) but I have my doubts. Kwame doesn´t seem to be intelligent ( he is dumb to say it in other words) and doesn´t look to have any hoop IQ. How will he play in the triangle? :man3:
But I can´t say I would be mad if Mitch or Jax like him. He has everything to be decent. Maybe he is the next Jermaine O´Neal if he changes his ballclub. But Butler? I don´t know man. throw in Ethan Thomas and we get rid Slava and Cook because we get 2 bigmen back. If Butler is gone we have to get rid of some players with him because of roster spots. We have to make room for 3 at least.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby LakersCourt on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:39 am

gill wrote:Why not Etan Thomas? :bang:

Because Etan Thomas doesn't have the physical gifts that Kwame has. If Kwame ever hits his potential and he is traded.....GOODBYE LEAGUE. You would have Kobe at the 2, who is the best shooting guard in the league. Kwame holding down the 4, Andrew Bynum developing into a dominant low post presence. Not to mention these players(other than Kobe) are cheap.With all of the expiring contracts that we have, we should be in good shape to make a run at LeBron James once he becomes a free agent, and have him be our Magic Johnson of the new millenium running the Point Guard.

Once James is an unrestricted free-agent, we should be under the cap to offer a MAX deal to him.

PG-LeBron James
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lamar Odom
PF-Kwame Brown
C-Andrew Bynum

HOLY FREAKIN" CRAP :man4:
LakersCourt

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:41 am

LakersCourt wrote:

Because Etan Thomas doesn't have the physical gifts that Kwame has. If Kwame ever hits his potential and he is traded.....GOODBYE LEAGUE. You would have Kobe at the 2, who is the best shooting guard in the league. Kwame holding down the 4, Andrew Bynum developing into a dominant low post presence. Not to mention these players(other than Kobe) are cheap.With all of the expiring contracts that we have, we should be in good shape to make a run at LeBron James once he becomes a free agent, and have him be our Magic Johnson of the new millenium running the Point Guard.

Once James is an unrestricted free-agent, we should be under the cap to offer a MAX deal to him.

PG-LeBron James
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lamar Odom
PF-Kwame Brown
C-Andrew Bynum

We should be able to offer James a max? :man10:
Your sources were unfortunetly wrong for the first time.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby BadNewsBear on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:45 am

LakersCourt wrote:

PG-LeBron James
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lamar Odom
PF-Kwame Brown
C-Andrew Bynum

LeBron won't be an unrestricted free agent for a long time. After 07, the Cavs will match any offer for him so he's not going anywhere.
BadNewsBear

Postby LakersCourt on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:48 am

My bad!!! I forgot he was a RESTRICTED free agent and not an UNRESTRICTERD one.

Damn, being a Laker fan you really get greedy. :man1:
LakersCourt

Postby flexxdzl on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:57 am

PG-LeBron James
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lamar Odom
PF-Kwame Brown
C-Andrew Bynum

LEBRON AND KOBE WILL NOT I REPEAT WILL NOT BE ON THE SAME TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
flexxdzl

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:01 am

LakersCourt wrote:

PG-LeBron James
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lamar Odom
PF-Kwame Brown
C-Andrew Bynum

PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE AND THE WEAPON, AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP

Postby live and die in LA on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:04 am

i would do caron and slava for kwame and jarid jefferies.
jefferies was their starting PF last year, hes a lanky athletic guy that would be good for us off the bench

we could get a lineup of this:

pg- AD, chucky,sasha
sg- kobe, wafer
sf- odom, jumaine, george
pf- kwame, jefferies, turiaf
c- mihm, bynum
live and die in LA

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:07 am

Fellas, Lakers need to get bigger. No one is gonna give up Tim Duncan or KG, Kwame is a 7 footer with potential. I'd much rather see them take a chance on a big man than to have 336 swingmen on the roster.

Inside out, people...that's how you win titles.

Postby abeer3 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:08 am

i'm warming to this idea as i think about it. washington would have to add another player of some value, though, i'd like jarvis hayes, dixon, or even steve blake. i think they might be willing to give up at least one of those in addition to kwame for butler and vlade's contract.
abeer3

Postby Xepa on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:09 am

LakersCourt wrote:

PG-LeBron James
SG-Kobe Bryant
SF-Lamar Odom
PF-Kwame Brown
C-Andrew Bynum

:phone: pipecon 3.

As for the deal, I LOOOOVE KWame, but straight up for Caron??? Ehhh I wouldn't be UPSET but I wouldn't be IN LOVE with the trade.

Team FARMAR.
alleon86, The Bynum Supremacy, Barnstable, Massacre, nicehair911, melo061, Chicano, Kwame's Cake, lizlakers31, KobeBryant583, popo, C-mac 4.35, dj vitus, M4mb4 24
Xepa

Postby Showtime.Revival.05 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:11 am

if they add hayes id be happy...but caron for kwame straight up??
Showtime.Revival.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:16 am

lakerfool wrote:I THINK PETER VESCEY HAS BEEN READING CL A LITTLE TOO DEEPLY

:whipit:

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:16 am

site note: Etan Thomas has a BYC contract.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby gill on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:24 am

KB8@CL wrote:site note: Etan Thomas has a BYC contract.

Which expires on July 28.
gill

Postby The Nugget on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:29 am

If Caron is too valuable then how much is he worth? From what I hear and see, Caron and Kobe have a strong relationship on and off the court. I bet, they've spend alot of time in the gym talking about the art of basketball and such, and Kobe is a player that you wouldn't mind learning that stuff from... and to me that is worth alot.
The Nugget

Postby UCLAbadfish on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:31 am

Butler for Brown would be horrible for us. I'd rather keep Odom at the 4 and Caron at the 3
UCLAbadfish

My opinoin & first post

Postby shroud01 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:36 am

It seems to me that no matter what happens at the end of the day Caron Butler is in the final year of his CHEAP contract. It is simple CB is a small forward and we all know how many of those we have. Odom is staying so do you really think the Lakers are going to shell out the required money (look at Bobby Simmons 10 mil per) to keep another SF on? He is going, be it now or later he is gone...so why not get a talented big with promise that would cost us considerably less than what CB will demand next year. Just my thoughts.
shroud01

Re: My opinoin & first post

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:41 am

shroud01 wrote:It seems to me that no matter what happens at the end of the day Caron Butler is in the final year of his CHEAP contract. It is simple CB is a small forward and we all know how many of those we have. Odom is staying so do you really think the Lakers are going to shell out the required money (look at Bobby Simmons 10 mil per) to keep another SF on? He is going, be it now or later he is gone...so why not get a talented big with promise that would cost us considerably less than what CB will demand next year. Just my thoughts.

Welcome aboard, dawg. And great post. Take the chance on a young 7 footer, Swingmen come a dime-a-dozen in the NBA.

Postby nameant on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:44 am

i'm surprised no one has talked about if caron was traded, what lamar would do. not too long ago lamar got really "upset" about multiple trade rumors involving caron. dont get me wrong, i dont think the lakers shouldnt trade him b/c of that..but the last thing you need going into the season is a key player "upset". ask the t'wolves...
nameant

Postby BGil on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:44 am

Caron1 wrote:I dont know if this is as dumb as everyone is making it out to be. If Phil really likes Odom at 3, then Caron is reduced to a bench role. Something that isnt fair to him, our us. Hes a talented player, and wouldnt get enough minutes (and if he did, we'd be undersized like last year). If we invsted in Kwame and he paid off, its a smart move. Even if he doesnt do much offensively, he is still a big body, something we really need.
Plus, maybe we could include Chucky in the deal (Wash. needs a new combo guard now that Hughes is gone)?
Picking up Kwame and a 1st only brightens LA's future, but losing Butler would hurt

Didn't Phil or somebody say that Caron would play the two next year and Kobe would play the one? It would make a lot of sense to have Kobe, Caron, and Lamar all splitting the ball-handling duties. It would be unconventional but it could work very well.

Sorry to say this but I don't think a lot of people here really understand the triangle offense. It seems like most people just look at what the Bulls did and what the Lakers did and assume that's the only way it works... it's not. :man7:
The reason why Jordan wasn't the main ball handler/distributer (or PG if you will) was because the team felt Scottie and others were simply better at it than Jordan was. Kobe is a much better ball handler than Jordan ever was so we don't have to keep Kobe at the two. With Caron's jump shooting ability he would be perfect for running off curls and stepbacks (and being our 2 guard). Supposedly he's losing weight and working on his ball-handling this summer because PJ told him he would be used as more of a ball-handler next year.

Kobe
Caron
Odom
Turiaf
Mihm

That's a pretty decent starting five especially if Turiaf develops into a Brian Grant type player. It eliminates our need to find a PG so now we can focus on getting inside players, which are much easier to come by in free agency and the draft. I would love to get Eddie Griffin somehow because that would give us a great low post defender with shot-blocking ability on the cheap.

Defensively that would help us too because it eliminates our PG hole and PF hole. We now have a hole at the two position but I think Caron's defense will get much better and he'll be a good defender in this league.

Kobe/Smush?/sasha
Caron/Wafer
Odom/JJ/Walton
Turiaf/Cook
Eddie G/Mihm

I wouldn't mind having a Tyronne Lue or other small quick guard for those times when we have to guard AI, Tony Parker, or Boykins.
Another post defender/shot blocker would due us well too. Package George, Slava, and Divac for a Theo Ratlif or Robert Horry type player and we're set.
BGil

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:53 am

Kobe is a much better ball handler than Jordan ever was

Actually, Kobe's handles didn't get good until about 2002 or later. MJ had handles coming out of NC, bro. Kobe was ALWAYS a hazard with the rock early on.

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors