ESPN INSIDER SAYS CARON IS STILL A LAKER....FOR NOW

Excited about the deal

Postby ixl on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:00 pm

Hey this is my first post on here and I'll try to make it a good one.

I just wanna say for the first time in a long time I am excited about the incoming talent for next year. It seems like ever since the first Championship back in 2000 nobody new was coming in, the talent just kept dwindling until the Lakers became crappy. Youth is a good thing.

I'm from Southern Cal but got to school in Miami and have been watching Caron Butler ever since he came in the league. The fact of the matter is that everyone has had high expectations for this guy but he has never really produced. They gave him good minutes in Miami but his jumper was inconsistent and ballhandling never developed, his only redeeming quailites were his rebounding and quick hands on defense. I'm not hating on the guy just stating the facts, this was his first really good season but look how the team as a whole performed. I'm not saying it was all his fault just that there are plenty of other players that could have put up those numbers this season on this current Laker squad. So I think this trade with Washington is good for both teams.

As far as Kwame Brown goes, it appears that Phil has a lot of interest in this guy so its not hard for me to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Even when he was drafted number one outa HS I knew that Washington wasn't going to be the place that he would do the most damage on the court. The only real downside I can see with him is his attitude, he is very defiant and likes to throw a tantrum everytime things don't go his way. But if he can stay healthy and listen to fill I think he is exactly what the Lakers are missing. Think about it he's 6-11 250 a good weakside shotblocker which will help Bynum defensively, can finish strong on the break, and can be a dominant rebounder with the right mentality.

If this deal goes through, it looks like the Lakers could be contending for a championship in 4 to 5 years. Kobe will be in his early thirties and hopefully will become that playmaker we all know he can be (same goes for Odom), and the trio of Brown, Bynum, and Turiaf will be one of the most formidable frontlines in the West. If they can pick up a quality PG with that first round pick next year, and Fisher (who has lost his spot in Golden State) returns to LA, the Lakers could be back on top. Wishful thinking I guess.

Sorry for the long post, just couldn't stop once I got goin.

PEACE
Follow the Leader
ixl

Re: Excited about the deal

Postby KB24 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:17 pm

ixl wrote:Hey this is my first post on here and I'll try to make it a good one.

I just wanna say for the first time in a long time I am excited about the incoming talent for next year. It seems like ever since the first Championship back in 2000 nobody new was coming in, the talent just kept dwindling until the Lakers became crappy. Youth is a good thing.

I'm from Southern Cal but got to school in Miami and have been watching Caron Butler ever since he came in the league. The fact of the matter is that everyone has had high expectations for this guy but he has never really produced. They gave him good minutes in Miami but his jumper was inconsistent and ballhandling never developed, his only redeeming quailites were his rebounding and quick hands on defense. I'm not hating on the guy just stating the facts, this was his first really good season but look how the team as a whole performed. I'm not saying it was all his fault just that there are plenty of other players that could have put up those numbers this season on this current Laker squad. So I think this trade with Washington is good for both teams.

As far as Kwame Brown goes, it appears that Phil has a lot of interest in this guy so its not hard for me to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Even when he was drafted number one outa HS I knew that Washington wasn't going to be the place that he would do the most damage on the court. The only real downside I can see with him is his attitude, he is very defiant and likes to throw a tantrum everytime things don't go his way. But if he can stay healthy and listen to fill I think he is exactly what the Lakers are missing. Think about it he's 6-11 250 a good weakside shotblocker which will help Bynum defensively, can finish strong on the break, and can be a dominant rebounder with the right mentality.

If this deal goes through, it looks like the Lakers could be contending for a championship in 4 to 5 years. Kobe will be in his early thirties and hopefully will become that playmaker we all know he can be (same goes for Odom), and the trio of Brown, Bynum, and Turiaf will be one of the most formidable frontlines in the West. If they can pick up a quality PG with that first round pick next year, and Fisher (who has lost his spot in Golden State) returns to LA, the Lakers could be back on top. Wishful thinking I guess.

Sorry for the long post, just couldn't stop once I got goin.

PEACE

welcome to CL bro. very good read :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby KOBE8ODOM7 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:23 pm

HEY i JUST JOiNED CL TODAY TOO....ALTHOUGH I GOT NOTHiN TO SAY....WELCOME ME!...LOL.... :jam2:
KOBE8ODOM7

Postby KB24 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:24 pm

KOBE8ODOM7 wrote:HEY i JUST JOiNED CL TODAY TOO....ALTHOUGH I GOT NOTHiN TO SAY....WELCOME ME!...LOL.... :jam2:

welcome you :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby LakerfanfromDenmark on Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:38 pm

Let me get this straight.. We trade Shaq to Miami - Get Caron Butler, Chucky Atkins and Lamar Odom. - We then trade Caron Butler and possibly Chucky Atkins to Washington for Kwame Brown.
We would then have Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown ...... - For Shaq!?!?..

Ok we get a 1st round pick in 2006 but the men upstairs will off course f.... it up like they did in this years draft (off course the kid needs a chance, but from what I read we could have made a much better choice).. Who needs new players? How about bringing back good old Jerry West who got Shaq to L.A.. !!
BRING BACK JERRY WEST AS GM!
LakerfanfromDenmark

Postby trodgers on Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:39 pm

Yeah. What are we doing?!?! Getting our starting SF, PF for Shaq who wanted 30 million? And if we trade BG's contract as it gets closer to expiring time we could get another starter...only 3 starters for Shaq? That's crazy.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

am I wrong?

Postby LakerfanfromDenmark on Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:20 pm

When Shaq played for L.A the Lakers we were title contenders.. Now Shaq is gone but we have received some new players. Am I wrong to point out that since we are no longer title contenders (even with the new players) - the team is worse off now than when Shaq were in L.A !? Am I the only one who thinks that trading Shaq was very very wrong? Look at Miemi! New club - and made it to the conference finals.. Sure they have Wade too.. but we have Kobe..
BRING BACK JERRY WEST AS GM!
LakerfanfromDenmark

Postby Lakerfan36 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:36 pm

ESPNnews confirmed that caron and someone will be traded for Kwame
Future PS3 owners club: Lakerfan 36, lakaboy 42, Hitemup, scheven, KrazyIvan909, flipogb, LUUUKE, Kobe The Dagger, kobe4ever

http://www.break.com/index/snlnarnia.html
Lakerfan36

Postby Lakerfan36 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:36 pm

ESPNnews confirmed that caron and someone will be traded for Kwame
Future PS3 owners club: Lakerfan 36, lakaboy 42, Hitemup, scheven, KrazyIvan909, flipogb, LUUUKE, Kobe The Dagger, kobe4ever

http://www.break.com/index/snlnarnia.html
Lakerfan36

Previous

Return to Sourced Rumors