ESPN INSIDER SAYS CARON IS STILL A LAKER....FOR NOW

ESPN INSIDER SAYS CARON IS STILL A LAKER....FOR NOW

Postby LakerLove on Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:47 pm

rick bucher just stated on the big show that the trade involving caron for kwame was not even close to being a done deal....according to him and his wizard sources this is just a discussion the 2 teams have had and not a trade....he said it still might happen but dont put stock in it....he said washington will only do this if caron is the only thing they can get for kwame!
LakerLove

Postby LakRfAn on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:06 pm

Thank god!!!
LakRfAn
Resident Hoops Junkie

Postby Xepa on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:16 pm

I heard on an ESPN board from insider subscribers that its done. Do you have insider?

Team FARMAR.
alleon86, The Bynum Supremacy, Barnstable, Massacre, nicehair911, melo061, Chicano, Kwame's Cake, lizlakers31, KobeBryant583, popo, C-mac 4.35, dj vitus, M4mb4 24
Xepa

Postby lalfan on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:18 pm

for some reason i think our rival teams are trying to sweetening the deal to block this trade, and the longer this thing drags along the less certain mitch will pull the trigger, he'll get cold feet as usual.
lalfan

Postby alex58 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:28 pm

LakRfAn wrote:Thank god!!!

AMEN
Magic , the only way to bring back the go0d old days.
alex58

Postby orwell on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:43 pm

Kwame Brown deal is a smokescreen! :man7:
Last edited by orwell on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain
orwell

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:44 pm

I couldn't get much better news today.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby LakerLove on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:50 pm

no i dont have an insider, i was just listening to the bigshow confirm the trade....they were discussing it, they said all the big guns confirmed it, they said it was done....but then they got a live call from Bucher and he shot it down, after espn reports done deal....espn insider says no deal....WEIRD? the way he made it seem is that washington wants to see if they could get more like CARON isnt enough...i want the deal to go through, but i was hoping we would get a draft pick too....looking like thats impossible.
LakerLove

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:08 pm

LakerLove wrote:no i dont have an insider, i was just listening to the bigshow confirm the trade....they were discussing it, they said all the big guns confirmed it, they said it was done....but then they got a live call from Bucher and he shot it down, after espn reports done deal....espn insider says no deal....WEIRD? the way he made it seem is that washington wants to see if they could get more like CARON isnt enough...i want the deal to go through, but i was hoping we would get a draft pick too....looking like thats impossible.

i feel bad for the team giving up more than caron for kwame.
abeer3

Postby stigmaXXL on Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:41 pm

th wizards can keep kwam. we dont need another project... we need a dam contributor.
stigmaXXL

Postby Jordan-esque on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:30 pm

It's funny to hear that Washington wants to get more for Kwame than just Caron, since it should be the other way around.

I posted this earlier, but here are what a lot of Washington Wizards fan are saying about a Butler for Kwame trade. I'd say most of them would literally jump on the idea. It shows how much lack of confidence they have about their own Kwame Brown.

If we really do need to trade Kwame, this is about as good as I can imagine it will get. Last year, in a pretty crowded SF rotation, Butler managed to put up 15/6/3/1.5 on 45% shooting in about 35 MPG. I've read he can play either swing spot just fine, kind of like a Pierce.

Thanks for the update, can Caron play SG or is he a 3? He was said to have Pierce like skills when he was drafted.

i love caron butler and all but i still think that kwame is going to be the man...fans are rough on him and he hasnt played to his full potential...hes gonna be just like blenn wallace, rasheed, webber, and everyone else who left and became superstars....

im sick of doing that, lets just see what we got with him, why not just grab a SG from free agency.....theres not a 7 footer who is that quick, long and fast as kwame...(well garnett but besides him)

We dont need Butler. Kwame will never be a Laker

Love the deal for the Wizards!

excellent trade. Lakers get an offensive athletic big man that can force double teams and is the best big man in the game guarding the pick and roll.

Wizards get a hardworking, high iq, athletic swingman that can guard both 2 adn 3. Something neither jarvis, or hughes seem to be able to do which is why we have the worst defense in the league. Finally when kwame blows up, it would be the western conference that suffers in the playoffs not us. Let the Western conference be punished for not offering better trades in order to acquire kwame.

There has to be more to this deal! It does not address our inside game at all. I like Butler's game, his toughness, and attitude. I still remember his interview on draft night, when he slipped and basically said that he will make all the teams that passed on him regret it. We shall see...

Kwame should have been kept! I guess EJ really hates the kid, cause' I couldn't see EG making the decision on his own. Let's not forget Abe either.

Phil Jackson would not take a chance on Kwame, and ruin his legacy if he didn't believe that Kwame can be a very good player for the Lakers. The Lakers will be fun to watch, and it's a team that has a lot to prove!

This is getting frustrating. I don't understand why we'd want Butler when we already have Jamison and Hayes. If we're going to trade Kwame I'd like to pick up some size and at least some size with potential. Is a deal for Chris Wilcox not possible? What about the rumors about Al Harrington? If we don't have any offers of a big man for Kwame then I'd rather just hold on to him. I suppose we're still waiting to see if any teams make an offer to Kwame so we can determine his market value. I suppose I just wish I was a fly on the office wall of EG so I would know the direction they have in mind for this team.

I think we are going to make this deal, and then sign Rahim.

DA reports that it would be a sign and trade, meaning it would probably eat up most of the wiz's cap room. The wiz would be left with about $5-6 M, which puts them on the same boat as the other teams with just the MLE. Unless they come to an understanding with the lakers, then go out and sign SAR, and use there MLE to complete the sign and trade for Caron.

2005 line up
1: Arenas
2: Butler
3: Jamison
4: Abdur-Rahim
5: Haywood

That would be sick

throw in butler and a future first and players and kwame brown is all yours

Butler is a great sf, thats the problem hes not a sg and he isnt know as a shooter. The other big thing that doesnt make any sense is that in reality all the wiz would be doing is renting Butler since hes contract is coming up and will have to pay him bobby simons try contract. With all the considered i would rather Keep brown. The funny thing is this trade is mostlikely something an la writer made up like the Boozer trade, the Bender trade and now this. Would the Wiz be so stupid to rent Butler?

Are you folks crazy!
This is a great trade for the Wiz!
How do you expect Butler to produce in LA with Kobe starting at the 2 and Lamar at the 3???

Caron is a good player and could be the second coming of Paul Pierce. He can play the 2 or 3. He's a good man to man defender. Has a diverse game, gets to the bucket, can post, and is a good rebounder. He's only 25. This could work with him at SG. A players like Medvedenko (or Mihm) and Sasha Vujacic would have to be included for this to work to balance out the numbers.
This is a great trade for the Wiz.
Remember folks we are trading Kwame...a guy who has not showcased a smidget of value yet..we're not trading away Shaq. Open your eyes and look at what we are getting in exchange. I thought we'd be lucky just to get a bag of Fritos for Kwame. Stop being greedy folks. Great trade if it happens. Because we've still got the cap room to pursue a vet FA/big man like Stro Swift and re-sign our core guys like Dixon and Ruffin. I would also consider signing an upcoming FA like Doug Christie..he's set to be waived by the Magic.

Butler for Kwame is a great trade for the Wizards. Face it folks. Kwame is not going to play up to his potential in Washington. Lets be glad we are getting a quality player for him. Do the trade.

Buttler trade looks great for us.

He is a big 2/Swingman. He was awesome at that role at Miami before Mr. Wade got there.
This guy needs a chance to prove himself and he is not going to do it playing on Kobe's team. He is going into the contract year. He will play his heart out. I think Earnie MUST get this deal done!
At this point it's either Butlet, Q Rich, Swift on my wish list. Let's see what Earnie can do!

What you Wiz fans don't realize is this isn't 2001 what trade value does Kwame have? You Wiz fans are acting like the general public & teams have not seen this guy under perform, give up on his squad in the playoffs, be a cancer to coaches. You should be happy to get Butler straigh up for Kwame. The knicks don't even want to give up an over priced Q Richardson for Kwame that should tell you something. Butler is just as good if not better than Q & has way more upside. The knicks only want to give you Crawford & Memphis only James freakin Posey they should be a more defining picture of Kwame trade value. I think the only reason the Lakers want him is 1. Butler can't run the point & 2. Kwame can play backup PF & backup C.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby BLAZINLAKERFAN on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:37 pm

HEY' WHAT'S UP FELLAS, THIS IS MY FIRST POST. BUT I'VE BEEN READING ALL THE THREADS FOR AWHILE. ANYWAYS....

I CAN'T HELP BUT SPEAK ON THIS CARON BUTLER THING. WHAT IS IT IN KWAME BROWN THAT YOU PEOPLE SEE? I JUST SEE A JERMANIE O'NEAL LOOK A LIKE...HAHA..HE'S BEEN IN THE LEAGUE FOR 4 YEARS AND HASN'T REALLY SHOWN ANY IMPROVMENT AT ALL, OR NOTHING SIGNIFICANT. YEAH O'NEAL DIDNT FLOURISH UNTIL HE GOT TO INDIANA, BUT WHAT DID YOU EXPECT THE PACERS AT THE TIME DIDN'T REALLY HAVE ANYBODY SO OF COURSE THEY JUST THREW HIM INTO THE FIRE AND HE PRODUCED. AS FOR KWAME HE'S ON A TEAM WHERE HE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PROVIDE AND SHOW EVERYBODY WHAT HE GOT, BUT HE HASN'T. IF HE'S NOT GETTING ANY PLAY TIME THEN US AS BASKETBALL FANS SHOULD KNOW THAT HE STILL NEEDS WORK. I DON'T REALLY SEE THE UPSIDE IN HIM.

NOW FOR CARON THIS GUY'S BEEN IN THE LEAGUE FOR 3 YEARS AND LOOK AT WHAT HE'S DONE COMPARED TO KWAME. THIS GUY IS JUST SICK. HE ONLY PLAYED 1 YEAR @ UCONN AND EVERYBODY SLEPT ON HIM WHEN HE CAME OUT. HE IS A CONSISTENT PLAYER WHO WILL GO OUT EVERYNIGHT AND BANG AND BALL WITH THE BEST OF THEM. NOT LIKE KWAME WHO AT TIMES LOOKS LOST ON THE COURT. WHAT WOULD YOUR RATHER HAVE A BIG GUY LOST ON THE FLOOR OR SOMEONE THAT IS DOING THE BEST THEY CAN TO WIN. FOR ME I'D GO WITH SOMEONE TRYING TO WIN...WE NEED TO KEEP CARON AND GET RID OF GEORGE SLAVA, COOK, AND CHUCKY.
BLAZINLAKERFAN

Postby Jordan-esque on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:37 pm

I have a feeling... it's NOT gonna happen anymore.

I think ESPN pulled a "Jack Haley" and announced it way pre-maturely. Hence, it's just a matter of time before one of the teams (the Lakers in this case) gets cold feet from all the feedback they're gonna be receiving.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:54 pm

umm what it looks like to me is that a good amount of fans know that kwame is going to be the next big thing... ha ha, the say caron has high bb iq and is a good defender... they say he can post up and he might be the second coming of pierce... if only he could shoot consitently outside of 16'

seems they're just as confused as we are. some are weary about caron's contract being up next year too.

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:32 pm

Some of the wizzard fans have some great points. But the most hilarious is they say Hughes couldn´t play defense and Butler can improve their defense. :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby 1 x Butler x 1 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:48 pm

KB8@CL wrote:Some of the wizzard fans have some great points. But the most hilarious is they say Hughes couldn´t play defense and Butler can improve their defense. :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

-the only funny part was that the home team is underrating their own player's defensive ability.
1 x Butler x 1

Postby Propulsion on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:55 pm

From Insider:

NBA Rumor Central: Replacement guard?
You are signed into Insider and have access to this premium feature.

Tuesday, July 12
WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Caron Butler
Lakers Wizards? Replacement guard?
After losing Larry Hughes to the Cavs, the Wizards are in search of a shooting guard. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the team is interested in Lakers swingman Caron Butler and have had discussions about a sign-and-trade deal that would send Kwame Brown to L.A.

Shaquille O'Neal
Heat Heat O'Neal getting deal
According to the Miami Herald, the Heat and Shaquille O'Neal are expected to come to an agreement on a new contract as early as Wednesday. O'Neal will have to opt out of his current deal that would pay him $30 million next season. In return for taking less money next season, O'Neal would get a longer deal. Heat president Pat Riley has said five years is a possibility, which would lock up the center until he's 38 years old.

Paul Pierce
Celtics Celtics? Pro-Paul Pierce
While most of Boston seems to want Paul Pierce and his sour attitude to go away, there's at least one guy who wants him to stay put, the Boston Herald reports. And it's none other than onetime problem child Ricky Davis.
"I'm hoping there's nothing going on with all the (trade) rumors," he said. "We need Paul. He's a big part of who we are and what we can get to be. We just need him. It'd be hard without him. I just think everyone has to let what we have develop. I mean that for Paul, too."

Eddy Curry
Bulls Bulls?
Hawks? Bitter Curry
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Eddy Curry will meet with Atlanta on Thursday.
The Sun-Times also reported that the restricted free agent has grown frustrated with the Bulls. "They said that once I got cleared, they were going to lock me up [with a new contract], and that was going to be it," he said. "But that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. ... It's definitely leaving a sour taste in my mouth. ... I never wanted to leave Chicago, but it's a strong possibility that could happen from the way things look."

Bulls operations chief John Paxson has said he intends to keep Curry. However, the Daily Herald also reported that the Bulls are open to trading the 22-year-old center.

Antoine Walker
Celtics Kings?
Celtics?
Rockets?
Knicks? Who's in the running for Walker?
According to the Boston Herald, the Antoine Walker rumors are new to Danny Ainge. "I've had no conversations," Ainge said. "I have not had one conversation with anybody about Antoine. Not one."
The Boston Herald and Sacramento Bee had reported a potential sign-and-trade with the Kings for the versatile power forward. Said Mark Bartelstein, Walker's agent, in the Bee: "I spoke with (Kings president of basketball operations) Geoff (Petrie) and explored some sign-and-trade possibilities."

The New York Times also reported that the Knicks are interested, as are the Rockets and Celtics, according to the Herald.

Stromile Swift
Grizzlies Nets?
Knicks?
76ers?
Rockets? Swift fits in Houston
The Nets are planning to meet with Stromile Swift today, reports the New York Daily News. While Shareef Abdur-Rahim seems to be the team's top choice to fill the power forward spot, they can't afford to wait for Abdur-Rahim's decision as he continues to meet with other teams.
Swift has already met with the Rockets and came away impressed, the Houston Chronicle reported. "They have a good team, a good coaching staff," Swift said. "For me, I think that's something I want to be a part of, a winning team, and hopefully I can come in and add on to what they built here and try to help them try to bring home a championship."

Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Trail Blazers Spurs?
Heat?
Magic?
Nets? Empty Nets?
The Nets want Shareef Abdur-Rahim and are working on a sign-and-trade deal with the Blazers that would include their $5 million trade exception. However, Blazers GM John Nash isn't cooperating, reports the Star-Ledger and the Oregonian.
"The trade exception doesn't interest us -- we'd have no use for it," said Nash. "We would be only amenable to discussing draft picks."
Propulsion

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:04 pm

1 x Butler x 1 wrote:
KB8@CL wrote:Some of the wizzard fans have some great points. But the most hilarious is they say Hughes couldn´t play defense and Butler can improve their defense. :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

-the only funny part was that the home team is underrating their own player's defensive ability.

Hughes made the all-nba defense team :bang: with 3 steals a game and 6.3 rebounds. Butler made the all-matador team in the league.
Its time to take away your glasses. Butler cant d up.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby eNlight on Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:57 am

i can't believe washington thinks that we're getting a better deal. if they want more, they can have stanislav med and we'll even give them devean george!
eNlight

Postby Ed Guru on Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:57 am

This is one of those lose-lose deals. Butler is a good offensive player who can carry the load when Kobe's not there. He may feature more in the new and improved (hopefully) triangle, but he's a known weakness on defence at present. He's also a bit of a loner on the team who is only close to Kobe reportedly. He is working hard to improve upon his game, defence is mostly a state of mind - it is possible to improve, but how often does it happen?

So we shift him? Maybe, if we can pick up a decent big man?

Enter Kwame Brown. The remnants of the disasterous MJ period in Washington. Sure Washington has the ability to make good players look poor but the only thing you don't want in a pick up is big man with attitude problems. I think he has the skill and could add instantly to the Lakers and has a bigger upside than Butler.. but here's the spanner.. attitude. If Brown had a better attitude he'd already be an all-star type player. At present he ranks as one of the worst no.1s and carries a lot of baggage.

But he's big! Your choice..

My feeling is this isn't the best trade we can make.. but the guys that called for a trade for a big man.. you asked for it!
..with the sharpness..
Ed Guru

Postby eNlight on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:12 pm

read the title guys. espn is extremely dumb. OF COURSE CARON IS STILL A LAKER FOR NOW!
eNlight

Postby EQualizer on Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:26 am

its hilarious how all these wizard fans make caron butler seem way better than he really is

all of them are saying like he's a good defender and has high IQ....

is the grass really THAT much greener on the otherside??
EQualizer

Postby Kob3eight on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:25 am

EQualizer wrote:its hilarious how all these wizard fans make caron butler seem way better than he really is

all of them are saying like he's a good defender and has high IQ....

is the grass really THAT much greener on the otherside??

same goes with us. we do the same comparisons with players on other teams.
Kob3eight
Resident Monkey

Postby Samarian on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:50 am

Can't stop, Won't stop chingy and dem gunnaz cause we, we get down baby we get down, girls them girls they love us.
Samarian

Postby gardog on Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:37 am

OK, Kwame has a bad attitude. I think being a Laker and being coached by Phil will make for a lot of good attitude adjustment. It's his chance to leave the past behind and start over with the premiere franchise in basketball.
gardog

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors