ESPN Radio: Lakers/Miami Rumors Heating Up (Not Marion)

Re: ESPN Radio: Lakers/Miami Rumors Heating Up (Not Marion)

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:56 am

Ramballa wrote:If this trade went down.. most likely mbenga, coby andnewble will cut to make roster space.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:52 am

there's probably no truth to this deal, but if there were, i'd make this deal in a heartbeat even though i love what lamar brings to us.

i'd turn right around and trade the #2 pick along with vlad/walton/mihm to either clear up cap space or bring in that SF we need, as well as another backup PG

i can't remember the rules, but even trading blount/walton and the #2 for a legitimate starter would be great

anyway, it's fun playing fantasy gm for a few days
Pig Miller

Postby westcoast21 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:28 am

Even though its looking more and more like Miami may trade the pick, you've gotta wonder if the Lakers and Heat are still talking about a Odom/Marion deal.

Nothing has really been said about that type of deal anywhere, so you gotta wonder if something is actually going on.

Remember, the Gasol deal came out of no where and caught us by suprise.
westcoast21

Postby flipmeister on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:28 am

Did anyone besides the OP heard this rumour by now?
Heaven Holds The Faithfull Departed
flipmeister

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:45 am

Weezy wrote:There is no freaking way in hell this is true, if it were it'd be DONE already. We get Blount, a competent backup C, Haslem, a good PF, and Beasly, who would be our future SF for YEARS to come for Odom and the 58th pick? Yeah right, would this be Riley apologizing for not giving us Wade for Shaq?

No kidding. I mean, are you joking? Haslem, Blount and Beasley/Mayo for Odom? :man10: :man10: :man10:

I mean, we could sign Artest if he opts out like Vescey said he would and we'd be stacked beyond our wildest dreams.
Savory Griddles

Postby diehard on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:55 am

I heard somewhere that the Heat and Clippers are considering Marion for Brand. If they did this and the trade with us they would have Wade/Odom/Brand and that is not a bad nucleus.

I'm not worried about Beasley's offense, but his defense is suspect.
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall."

Ron Artest: Is it freaky if your girl has a barbed wired thong and comes in the room with plastic sporks? Twitter
diehard

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:35 am

diehard wrote:I heard somewhere that the Heat and Clippers are considering Marion for Brand. If they did this and the trade with us they would have Wade/Odom/Brand and that is not a bad nucleus.

I'm not worried about Beasley's offense, but his defense is suspect.

That would change things. If the Clips and Heat did that deal, then I could see an Odom for #2 switch simply because their window just opened up to now with those 3 players. They become a top 4 team in the East.

If this trade rumor is true and not completely bogus, I don't think the Lakers hold onto Haslem. He'd be a very pricey backup for Gasol, not to mention he is starting material in this league. I think Haslem gets shipped to a team that need a legit pf like Orlando or Memphis. Haslem plus a filler like Coby Karl or something for Mike Miller is a reasonable trade. Haslem has the same length on his contract, but about 2 million less per year and fills a void in the frontcourt.

If I'm the Lakers though, I draft OJ Mayo. I see Beasley as a Jamison type. Solid 15 and 10 over his career, but always having trouble finding his niche because he is undersized. Mayo and Bynum for the next 10 years would be pretty nifty..
Savory Griddles

Postby sixfour on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:45 am

Did anybody else listen to ESPN radio this morning with Cowherd? I would've thought it would have been posted by now, but I didn't see it...so this is what he was saying...

He "heard" that Miami & the Lakers are in talks about trading LO & Luke for Marion. He went on for awhile about how dominant the Lakers will be if this actually went through. Did anybody else hear this?

I'm just puttin down what I heard...rumors, rumors, rumors, gotta love the off-season!
sixfour

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:51 am

sixfour wrote:Did anybody else listen to ESPN radio this morning with Cowherd? I would've thought it would have been posted by now, but I didn't see it...so this is what he was saying...

He "heard" that Miami & the Lakers are in talks about trading LO & Luke for Marion. He went on for awhile about how dominant the Lakers will be if this actually went through. Did anybody else hear this?

I'm just puttin down what I heard...rumors, rumors, rumors, gotta love the off-season!

Those same whispers were reported by emplay in his most recent article. I'd be for it on the basketball side of things, but Marion is a cancer so I'd have real concerns about his locker room presence and his desire to be overpaid.

I still pull the trigger though because we get out from under Luke's contract & get a better fit at SF in Marion (on offense AND defense).
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby wallangong on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:56 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
sixfour wrote:Did anybody else listen to ESPN radio this morning with Cowherd? I would've thought it would have been posted by now, but I didn't see it...so this is what he was saying...

Those same whispers were reported by emplay in his most recent article. I'd be for it on the basketball side of things, but Marion is a cancer so I'd have real concerns about his locker room presence and his desire to be overpaid.

I still pull the trigger though because we get out from under Luke's contract & get a better fit at SF in Marion (on offense AND defense).

the thing is, Marion has said in the past he would love to play with Kobe, and i think he skillset makes him essentially our #2 guy. Obviously we wouldn't run the offense through him, but he is one of the best slashers in the game, and considering how well this team passes, he could fit perfect in the frontline.

i'm just trying to be optimistic, but i think being stuck behind Nash and Amare in a market like PHX just doesn't even compare to being second fiddle to Kobe in the prime market of LA
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:10 am

wallangong wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

the thing is, Marion has said in the past he would love to play with Kobe, and i think he skillset makes him essentially our #2 guy. Obviously we wouldn't run the offense through him, but he is one of the best slashers in the game, and considering how well this team passes, he could fit perfect in the frontline.

i'm just trying to be optimistic, but i think being stuck behind Nash and Amare in a market like PHX just doesn't even compare to being second fiddle to Kobe in the prime market of LA

If we do this deal and I'm Phil looking at this roster, I see the offense running through Kobe, Pau, and even Drew before I start thinking about Marion. We need a SF that will be content to knock down an open J, slash to the basket, and play tough D.

The question becomes, would Marion be content to be the "fill in the gaps" player for us or will it be a power struggle to become Kobe's #2? That would be my concern. Again, still a problem worth having and I do this deal everyday & twice on Sunday.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby JSM on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:14 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:If we do this deal and I'm Phil looking at this roster, I see the offense running through Kobe, Pau, and even Drew before I start thinking about Marion. We need a SF that will be content to knock down an open J, slash to the basket, and play tough D.

The question becomes, would Marion be content to be the "fill in the gaps" player for us or will it be a power struggle to become Kobe's #2? That would be my concern. Again, still a problem worth having and I do this deal everyday & twice on Sunday.

I imagine he would have a role like he did in Phoenix and rarely have a play ran just for him. He'd be a cleanup/hustle player and have to get his buckets on offensive put backs and open Js with that funky release.

But there's the problem. He wasn't happy there. So you have to wonder what would be different in LA. Winning cures a lot of problems but for players like Marion who care about touches and getting paid, it means less to them.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby wallangong on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 am

the problems you guys mention could surface. but with the offense we run, i don't think Marion would need to worry about having plays called for him. if he just moves off the ball like he has throughout his career, he should get plenty of open looks. and the exposure he gets in LA could make up not being the go-to-guy. and let's face it, no team in the NBA would want Marion as a first option. most wouldn't want him as a 2nd option.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:24 am

^Yeah, sounds like we're all on the same page with Marion.

Hopefully the larger market & preference of living in LA would solve a lot of the problems he had in Phoenix. I can hope, can't I?
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby wallangong on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:29 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Yeah, sounds like we're all on the same page with Marion.

Hopefully the larger market & preference of living in LA would solve a lot of the problems he had in Phoenix. I can hope, can't I?

we have to find something to peg our hopes on. After Artest's convo with Ireland it looks less and less likely he will opt out, so there goes that pipe.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:33 am

wallangong wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:^Yeah, sounds like we're all on the same page with Marion.

we have to find something to peg our hopes on. After Artest's convo with Ireland it looks less and less likely he will opt out, so there goes that pipe.

Yeah, I never got my hopes up too high on that one. Ron's so unpredictable though, it still wouldn't surprise me if he opted out.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby shush on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 am

Lakers get: #2 pick (oj mayo) and RJ

Heat get: Lamar , Farmar + #58 pick

Nets get: Mark Blount, Udonis Haslem + 1 or 2 Second rounders

make it happen! ahhaha
yes it's true. i don't like d-fish
shush

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 am

If I'm the Heat, I do everything in my power to make the Brand deal happen rather than Odom. Then I'd jump at the chance if I were them to do the trade that is being proposed in this thread (Odom for Haslem/Blount and the #2) if they can land Brand, ONLY if they land Brand because that puts together 3 players of roughly the same age in Brand, Wade and Odom. Add in a solid FA signing for a center like Diop and you have a pretty solid team, especially in the East.

Riley would have taken a team that was dead in the water and had contract problems EVERYWHERE with Shaq, Blount, etc and turned it into a legit threat in the East in less than 6 months. Not bad for the Heat.

Lakers could turn around and unload Haslem to somebody for an expiring K since he is a solid pf at a reasonable price and be left on the hook with Blount only which isn't too bad considering he's a decent backup center.
Savory Griddles

Postby Psychobroker on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:52 am

LAKEROC wrote:ESPN radio reported that the Lakers and Heat are in talks that would trade Lamar Odom and the #58 pick to Miami. In exchange the Heat would trade to the Lakers Mark Blount, Udonis Haslem and Miami's coveted #2 pick in the draft. Rumor has it Riley is trying to clear cap space as much as he can, and wants Odom back in the fold.

Considering they do this, do we get better, worse or stay the same?

Also, assuming we do this trade, and Rose is taken #1, who do the Lakers select with #2.

OMG Beasley a Laker!?! He's got all-star written all over him.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby sixfour on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:59 am

lakerswiz wrote:so no one else has heard this on the radio?

that's SOOOO suprising.

Not that it matters because it's just another rumor that's unlikely to happen, but other Lakers forums heard it this morning as well.

It seems to me that Marion is not the type to sulk and take games off, so I would be inclined to use him this year to get our trophy back. Then, see if he enjoys winning and stays, if not Ariza has another year under this system to develop and go from there.

I like LO, but unless he works on his mid-range, (it doesn't have to be all about the 3's, just his mid-range) I just don't see him working with this system at SF.
sixfour

Postby Amongst:Kings on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 am

Psychobroker wrote:
LAKEROC wrote:ESPN radio reported that the Lakers and Heat are in talks that would trade Lamar Odom and the #58 pick to Miami. In exchange the Heat would trade to the Lakers Mark Blount, Udonis Haslem and Miami's coveted #2 pick in the draft. Rumor has it Riley is trying to clear cap space as much as he can, and wants Odom back in the fold.

Considering they do this, do we get better, worse or stay the same?

Also, assuming we do this trade, and Rose is taken #1, who do the Lakers select with #2.

OMG Beasley a Laker!?! He's got all-star written all over him.

I see Bynum and Kobe getting traded for Bron before this happens.

Beasley is a all star lock, possibly a superstar. Plus we get a rugged pf who can defend the best of them and has a sweet stroke. Oh and then to top it off they hand us a mobile veteran C with a solid offensive game? All for someone we refer to as an underachiever and pick 58/60?

Wont happen.
Amongst:Kings

Postby Psychobroker on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:03 am

Radner wrote:Shouldn't we be getting more than Lee back?

I would personally look at trading the #2 along with Vlad or Luke to Memphis for Miller and their #5 and then draft Mayo if he's still available.

Memphis wants to SHED long-term contracts, not bring them in. No way they take Luke or Vlad. I'd even bet they'll be trading their rights to Marc instead of keeping him.
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Psychobroker on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:05 am

pureuncut100 wrote:
Shortodom wrote:
pureuncut100 wrote:
JSM wrote:Let's assume for a second this is true. I'd send the #2 pick to the Knicks, Clippers, or Bucks (depending on who we can milk a quality player out of) and take Joe Alexander.

WOW. I like Joe Alexander but you have to take Beasley man.

The gage is Beasley played against good competition, was the man on his team and he still put up astronomical numbers. You got to take him. In addition, Beasley could play SF and play it strong. He could shoot his butt off.

As for this unsubstantiated rumor, it may not be true but it makes sense. I checked and Haslem/Blount expire at the end of the 09/10 season. Now days, its not just the players you could put on the floor. Its needs/talent/ and contracts.

True but this is almost like the Gasol trade, i don't see it happening at all. We dump Odom and get a franchise player and 2 good back ups. sounds way too good to be true.

When Beasley was 6'10" and not 6'7", I wouldnt even entertain this thread. But at 6'7" and some rumored lazy workouts, I dont doubt that Pat Riley may be shopping this pick. This trade would be nothing like the Odom trade. There is a very good chance that Odom is a better player for Miami than Beasley. Of course, it isnt that simple. Needs, talent, Contracts.

And LO fills those needs for Riles. He is a true PF in the East, excellent passer, and would thrive (again) with Dwade. He also comes off the books if he doesn't work out.

I bet Riles is thinking LO >> Beazley/Haslem/Bount, which then allows him to go after Brand next summer.
Last edited by Psychobroker on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
- John Adams
- Thomas Jefferson
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Psychobroker on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:12 am

Pump UP the VOLUME wrote:This would be a terrible trade. You give up an experienced matchup nightmare, rebounding machine like Odom for Blount and Haslem and the #2 pick.

We are already one of the youngest teams in the league and have had enough projects over the last couple of years. Stick to the guy that just helped us get to the NBA finals in Lamar Odom. He is a vet in his prime and has now gone through the battles of getting to the finals. That combo of skill and now finals experience is priceless!!!!

Very shortsighted opinion.

LO at the 3 neutralizes much of his rebounding opportunities. Additionally, when was the last time we had a near-allstar, super versatile player with a $14M expiring contract?? That's GOLD in the NBA. LO has had his chance here. He'd be fine at the 4, but we have Pau, so with AB coming back, LO either starts at 3 or...rides the pine. There's NO WAY IN HELL Buss, or any other team owner, will pay someone $14M/year to come off the bench.
- John Adams
- Thomas Jefferson
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Radner on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 am

Psychobroker wrote:
Radner wrote:Shouldn't we be getting more than Lee back?

I would personally look at trading the #2 along with Vlad or Luke to Memphis for Miller and their #5 and then draft Mayo if he's still available.

Memphis wants to SHED long-term contracts, not bring them in. No way they take Luke or Vlad. I'd even bet they'll be trading their rights to Marc instead of keeping him.

Notice that #2 is being traded along with Vlad or Luke. :man1:

Considering Memphis would want Beasley, they would probably take back a bad contract.
Radner

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors