ESPN Radio: Lakers/Miami Rumors Heating Up (Not Marion)

Postby flexxdzl on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Ok, This is Dumb..

1. The lakers don't need or want Haslem..( real good play though)..ifn they are gonna Move LO..it will be for a trye three..

Artest, Redd,prince..maybe marion..

Prob with Shawn is ..Kobe would have to work to get him shots also..he can't create a shot for himself..

BTW

LAkers don't care about the draft..or getting a guys smaller than boozer ..Beasley is a 3 ..a shane battier typ guy.. but softer..

So Unless Ariz..a will start..which I still believe may be the case..improved shooting 3's a Defense ,,,a mini artest..we aren't going fo an inside player...

side note

Ifthe heat Offer HAslem and Marion ..for LO and change..I could see that and Haslem becomes the enforcer
flexxdzl

Postby Chicano on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 pm

last stand wrote:
Chicano wrote:C'mon people, be real, just how legit IS THIS? Why has this not been mentioned/talked about AT ALL whatsoever in the mainstream really? I heard about the possibility in the mainstream about miami possibly trading their pick, but I heard about 5 or 6 teams interested or in it, and none were the Lakers.

Well, I guess we'll obviously see tomorrow. Frankly, I don't expect a damn thing to happen, would be heIIa nice if it did, but I highly doubt it. Anyone else actually realistically expect something to happen? :man3:

at this point i think nothing happens period tommorrow noteworthy for us
Agreed.
Chicano

Postby Mark McNamara on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:37 pm

Jajwa wrote:It's not a horrible trade idea. I seriously don't think you comprehend how much we'll need a franchise player in five years. Odom doesn't help us now at the SF position. He's just not a good player there so to maneuver and find a way to get a franchise player by using him and Farmar a guy who has defensive lapses galore is actually a fantastic move.

Odom doesn't help us now at SF? Just how do you know that? You've seen him play next to Bynum and Gasol? I'm not saying he'll be the perfect SF, but he'll no doubt help us more than Mayo would. And how are you so sure Mayo will be a franchise player in 5 years anyway? What if he's a bust?....then we traded our most valuable chip for nothing...more important, we would be robbing Kobe of the help he needs. Besides, we already have a franchise player for the future in Bynum. Then you throw in the fact that we have to give up Farmar and Turiaf too? C'mon....these guys have their flaws but all three were VERY important parts of our success. We just had an incredible year and made it to the finals without our starting C.....we can't just trade away a starter and 2 of our better role players for a rookie who isn't ready for primetime, a backup C (especially when there are others in FA), and a 3rd string PG.

Oh ya....and I didn't necessarily mean horrible for the Lakers, I meant horrible all teams involved.
Last edited by Mark McNamara on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark McNamara

Postby remixed on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:45 pm

flexxdzl wrote:Ok, This is Dumb..

1. The lakers don't need or want Haslem..( real good play though)..ifn they are gonna Move LO..it will be for a trye three..

Artest, Redd,prince..maybe marion..

Prob with Shawn is ..Kobe would have to work to get him shots also..he can't create a shot for himself..

BTW

LAkers don't care about the draft..or getting a guys smaller than boozer ..Beasley is a 3 ..a shane battier typ guy.. but softer..

So Unless Ariz..a will start..which I still believe may be the case..improved shooting 3's a Defense ,,,a mini artest..we aren't going fo an inside player...

side note

Ifthe heat Offer HAslem and Marion ..for LO and change..I could see that and Haslem becomes the enforcer

Did you just call Beasly soft? I don't think you've watched him enough if you're going to label him soft.

Dude can play. He can hurt you from anywhere in the post and regardless of whether or not he's playing at the 3 or the 4, he's going to bang down low.
remixed

Re: ESPN Radio: Lakers/Miami Rumors Heating Up (Not Marion)

Postby Six_Six_One on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:28 am

LAKEROC wrote:ESPN radio reported that the Lakers and Heat are in talks that would trade Lamar Odom and the #58 pick to Miami. In exchange the Heat would trade to the Lakers Mark Blount, Udonis Haslem and Miami's coveted #2 pick in the draft. Rumor has it Riley is trying to clear cap space as much as he can, and wants Odom back in the fold.

Considering they do this, do we get better, worse or stay the same?

Also, assuming we do this trade, and Rose is taken #1, who do the Lakers select with #2.

Miami just made the most intelligent move in franchise history by trading away Shaquille O'Neal. Why would they resist the opportunity to pair Dwyane Wade with a possible future star in either OJ Mayo or Michael Beasley? As for the Lakers, this would most likely mean Turiaf or Mihm are not in their future, which I would accept painfully but nonetheless, acceptingly. Fisher just had the best year of his career at 33 years old. Can he do it at 34? Drafting Mayo would do the trick here, unless they decide on Beasley to fill Odom's void, which might also be smart since he could be that prototypical SF that the Lakers were looking for in return. Either way, you don't trade Farmar in my opinion.

As for Haslem and Blount, if we do acquire these guys let's please get rid of Mihm, Luke and Radmanovic. We don't need 5-6 guys on this team with excessively and undeservingly huge contracts. I like the thought of Haslem for his skillset but like I said, this instance would require shipping one deadweight player out of Los Angeles as well.
Six_Six_One

Postby A Rush on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:20 am

I don't want Beasley on this team. I don't want any player whose weaknesses are listed as: defense, shot-selection, focus, winning mentality.

No thanks. I'd rather do LO and filler for Marion. If it doesn't work out, Marion is gone after next season and we clear 17 mil from the salary cap.
A Rush

Postby BB on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:01 am

Mark McNamara wrote:Odom doesn't help us now at SF? Just how do you know that? You've seen him play next to Bynum and Gasol? I'm not saying he'll be the perfect SF, but he'll no doubt help us more than Mayo would. And how are you so sure Mayo will be a franchise player in 5 years anyway? What if he's a bust?....then we traded our most valuable chip for nothing...more important, we would be robbing Kobe of the help he needs. Besides, we already have a franchise player for the future in Bynum. Then you throw in the fact that we have to give up Farmar and Turiaf too? C'mon....these guys have their flaws but all three were VERY important parts of our success. We just had an incredible year and made it to the finals without our starting C.....we can't just trade away a starter and 2 of our better role players for a rookie who isn't ready for primetime, a backup C (especially when there are others in FA), and a 3rd string PG.

Oh ya....and I didn't necessarily mean horrible for the Lakers, I meant horrible all teams involved.
Odom doesn't help us at the SF, yes. He's slower than 80% of the small forwards in the league so he won't be able to guard them and he will operate on the perimeter where he is subpar so nobody will guard them. The Celtics left Vladimir and Fisher open on the perimeter(or even Sasha) you think they'll bother defending Odom who is not even half the shooter the two before are? Get real. And Odom won't be a starter anymore from next season if we want to do something. And really, who cares about robbing Kobe? If they offer great deals anyone should be tradeable. I could care the less if the Lakers win a ring in the next 3 years if they'll win 6 straight after that, for instance. But yes, trading Odom for Mayo would be stupid.
BB

Postby Questionmark on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:21 am

So basically there is been no proof of this trade even being real. I don't understand how it's on the front page of CL.
ImageImage
Questionmark

Postby d33pzone on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am

Questionmark wrote:So basically there is been no proof of this trade even being real. I don't understand how it's on the front page of CL.

I agree. I got excited when I read the front page and expected some validation in the thread of this trade having a chance to happen. It's disappointing. I can read the word rumor, and understand what the word means, but I still think there should be a specific source. ESPN radio? Ok, what program was it on, so we can tune in today? Nothing.
d33pzone

Postby jlkr on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:28 am

I've gone through this thread, I visited ESPN, now I think the lottery pick to the Lakers is just a lot of smoke, er ... wishful thinking.

Miami wants to trade down in the lottery. That they worked out Bayless and Mayo the other day for a 2nd time each is a rather strong indication of this. Lakers might get in as the 3rd team to facilitate a trade, but there is no way they are getting a lottery pick out of this...
jlkr

Postby last stand on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:58 am

there has been no new developments on this front

why was this moved to a front page story
last stand

Postby extreme on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 am

We would be dumb not to do this but no way Miami does this :man3:

#2: Mayo, i doubt we would take Beasley, or westbrook
extreme
ClubLakers Rep: Belgium

Postby kray28 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:43 am

LOL...this is more pipe than Artest opting out and signing with us for the MLE.
kray28

Postby jjin28 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:53 am

Forget Beasely. With that trade we would have

Gasol / Haslem
Bynum / Blount

as our frontcourt. WE would still have ariza, walton, vlad for the SF position.
If Rose falls, take him, if not OJ Mayo. Since Chicago seems likely to take Rose...

OJ Mayo / Farmar
Kobe / Fisher
Vlad / Ariza / Walton
Gasol / Haslem
Bynum / Blount

And if we get lucky, we get artest to sign for the MLE. OR ship Farmar and one of the SF's out for Artest in a sign and trade and resign sasha. My realistic dream line up according to this rumor and if other things fall right.

OJ Mayo / Fisher
Kobe / Sasha
Artest / Ariza / Vlad
Gasol / Haslem
Bynum / Blount
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby The Maverick on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:03 am

Who would we take though? Are any of these talents worth giving up Lamar despite getting Haslem?

I don't really want Beasley as he seems to be a 'Melo mkII. The guy I would want us to pick will go number one. I like Mayo, but is he too ball dominant? Phil doesn't like that, hence why he's turned down Baron Davis in the past.

If were going to pick a swingman I would want a top defensive one, are there any of that calibur in this draft that are worthy of a #2 pick.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 am

kray28 wrote:LOL...this is more pipe than Artest opting out and signing with us for the MLE.

I know! I thought something new happened with it being moved to front page. This thread has been up for a while and it never made much sense to me, but who knows, maybe these guys think it has legs. Personally, I still like the Odom and Walton for Marion plus anyone trade idea. But I don't know anything about Beasley. I don't like the fact that someone here is saying his D is suspect. Marion's a vet - you know what you're going to get with him, great D, great rebounding, and that crazy but effective shot of his. Plus athleticism and a guy who can really get out on the break (which would be nice when you've got twin towers pulling down rebounds and outletting). I'm kinda wary of bringing in another youngster.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby VOTEKobe2008 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 am

LOL at the clowns saying they would not do the trade. You are getting a potential franchise player in Beasley to match up in age with Bynum also an immediate number 2 scorer for Kobe. And you are only giving up Odom?

What is this Odom crack fancination about? He stinks.
VOTEKobe2008

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 am

Lakerjones wrote:
kray28 wrote:LOL...this is more pipe than Artest opting out and signing with us for the MLE.

I know! I thought something new happened with it being moved to front page. This thread has been up for a while and it never made much sense to me, but who knows, maybe these guys think it has legs. Personally, I still like the Odom and Walton for Marion plus anyone trade idea. But I don't know anything about Beasley. I don't like the fact that someone here is saying his D is suspect. Marion's a vet - you know what you're going to get with him, great D, great rebounding, and that crazy but effective shot of his. Plus athleticism and a guy who can really get out on the break (which would be nice when you've got twin towers pulling down rebounds and outletting). I'm kinda wary of bringing in another youngster.

I think the only way this trade has any legs (if it was even heard on the radio to begin with) is if Miami trades Marion for Brand which has been speculated by some people in the media. If that trade goes down, then Odom for the #2 and contracts makes sense for the Heat cause it puts them in win now mode with Wade and Brand. Wade/Brand/Odom is a scary trio, especially in the East.

Still, it makes the Lakers younger and we have a hole at sf. If we could turn around and swing Haslem for a sf like Hedo or Mike Miller, then we might be in business.
Savory Griddles

Postby MadMax on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:39 am

MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby mrphantast1c on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:59 am

there's a hole at the 3 with this trade but most likely lakers would go for mayo.. local talent.. seems to be a trend with them lately (farmar... ariza..)

with ariza exercising his option.. i would assume phil told him he'd get more playing time next year.. possibly starting

fisher/farmar/mayo
kobe/sasha?
ariza/luke/vlad
pau/haslem
bynum/blount

then after grooming farmar and mayo for a year.. fish becomes an assistant
mrphantast1c

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:02 am

VOTEKobe2008 wrote:LOL at the clowns saying they would not do the trade. You are getting a potential franchise player in Beasley to match up in age with Bynum also an immediate number 2 scorer for Kobe. And you are only giving up Odom?

I concur, although I don't think Odom "stinks" -- he's just NOT a fit at the 3 in the Tri. He doesn't have range or lateral quickness needed to play on the outside, simple as that.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:09 am

Or how about this (Yes, work is uber slow right now :mhihi: )

Odom and 13th to the Bulls
Hinrich and Tyrus Thomas to the Blazers
Raef and Outlaw to the Lakers

Blazers:

Oden
Aldridge
Webster
Roy
Hinrich

Bulls:

Noah
Odom
Deng
Hughes
Rose
Savory Griddles

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:11 am

Which Lakers homer put this rumor out there? And I even doubt Riley is this desperate to set a smokescreen, he already did it with Mayo and Bayless "secret" meeting. Give me a break.

Look, with the #2 pick, we get Beasley. There is no question about that.

I'm hoping Buss and Riley made a deal during the Shaq trade. I scratch your back, and then you scratch mine. He got his ring, so it's time to pay back....god I hope that is true. Beasley will be destroying SF around the league next year, you can book that.
jimbo327

Postby Najim on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:15 am

here's the REAL interesting question.

of all the silly trade rumors floating around, why did CL staff take the time and effort to put this on the front page, draft a story about it, and create a graphic for it?

seems weird to me...
The Last Stand Has Begun...
Najim

Postby wallangong on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:16 am

VOTEKobe2008 wrote:LOL at the clowns saying they would not do the trade. You are getting a potential franchise player in Beasley to match up in age with Bynum also an immediate number 2 scorer for Kobe. And you are only giving up Odom?

Lakers fans never cease to amaze me. Without Lamar we don't make it to the NBA Finals. Period. No ifs ands or buts about it.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors