ESPN Radio: Lakers/Miami Rumors Heating Up (Not Marion)

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:17 am

From Chad Ford's chat today:

Jason (TN): Mr Ford, do you see the Heat trading Marion, and if so, will it be primarily for another lottery pick (and filler), or would Riley look to grab another established star (ala Odom, Brand, or Boozer)?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:12 PM ET ) No one is trading a lottery pick for Marion with the possible exception of the Clippers in a larger Elton Brand deal. Marion is a free agent next summer and he wants A LOT of money. Most teams won't give it to him which means they'd lose him in a year. More likely the Heat find a trade partner like the Lakers (for Lamar Odom) or the Sixers (for Andre Miller and change) etc.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby VOTEKobe2008 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:18 am

JSM wrote:From Chad Ford's chat today:

Jason (TN): Mr Ford, do you see the Heat trading Marion, and if so, will it be primarily for another lottery pick (and filler), or would Riley look to grab another established star (ala Odom, Brand, or Boozer)?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:12 PM ET ) No one is trading a lottery pick for Marion with the possible exception of the Clippers in a larger Elton Brand deal. Marion is a free agent next summer and he wants A LOT of money. Most teams won't give it to him which means they'd lose him in a year. More likely the Heat find a trade partner like the Lakers (for Lamar Odom) or the Sixers (for Andre Miller and change) etc.

Chad Ford and the rest of the .com guys are clowns. They are just speculating.
VOTEKobe2008

Postby d33pzone on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:20 am

JSM wrote:From Chad Ford's chat today:

Chad Ford was on espnnews at noon and mentioned that all of his sources have said the Heat will take Michael Beasley with the #2 pick, and the reason was because the Heat have not found any deals to their liking.
d33pzone

Postby Mark McNamara on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:23 am

BB wrote:
Mark McNamara wrote:Odom doesn't help us now at SF? Just how do you know that? You've seen him play next to Bynum and Gasol? I'm not saying he'll be the perfect SF, but he'll no doubt help us more than Mayo would. And how are you so sure Mayo will be a franchise player in 5 years anyway? What if he's a bust?....then we traded our most valuable chip for nothing...more important, we would be robbing Kobe of the help he needs. Besides, we already have a franchise player for the future in Bynum. Then you throw in the fact that we have to give up Farmar and Turiaf too? C'mon....these guys have their flaws but all three were VERY important parts of our success. We just had an incredible year and made it to the finals without our starting C.....we can't just trade away a starter and 2 of our better role players for a rookie who isn't ready for primetime, a backup C (especially when there are others in FA), and a 3rd string PG.

Oh ya....and I didn't necessarily mean horrible for the Lakers, I meant horrible all teams involved.
Odom doesn't help us at the SF, yes. He's slower than 80% of the small forwards in the league so he won't be able to guard them and he will operate on the perimeter where he is subpar so nobody will guard them. The Celtics left Vladimir and Fisher open on the perimeter(or even Sasha) you think they'll bother defending Odom who is not even half the shooter the two before are? Get real. And Odom won't be a starter anymore from next season if we want to do something. And really, who cares about robbing Kobe? If they offer great deals anyone should be tradeable. I could care the less if the Lakers win a ring in the next 3 years if they'll win 6 straight after that, for instance. But yes, trading Odom for Mayo would be stupid.

1. Didn't I say LO wouldn't be the greatest fit for us at SF? I'm just saying trading LO for the sake of getting Mayo would not be worth it. LO would help us more than Mayo would.

2. Who cares about robbing Kobe??? LOL...Are you insane? Why should we even have him on the team then? Just for show??? These kinds of comments make me sick. Kobe just led us through the tough Western Conference and took us to the finals without much help, and now you don't care if he loses the little help that he has???

3. "I could care the less if the Lakers win a ring in the next 3 years if they'll win 6 straight after that"....... Nothings guaranteed, especially not 6 straight rings. Heck, making it to the playoffs or finals isn't even guaranteed. Bad things can happen.

My point....we just made it to the finals without our starting C. Our window of opportunity is wide open RIGHT NOW especially with Bynum coming back, not a few years later. If we're gonna trade LO, Farmar and Turiaf, it needs to be for immediate help, not for a rookie who may or may not even pan out.[/b]
Mark McNamara

Postby wallangong on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:26 am

^ exactly what he said. :bow:
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby BB on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 am

Mark McNamara wrote:1. Didn't I say LO wouldn't be the greatest fit for us at SF? I'm just saying trading LO for the sake of getting Mayo would not be worth it. LO would help us more than Mayo would.

2. Who cares about robbing Kobe??? LOL...Are you insane? Why should we even have him on the team then? Just for show??? These kinds of comments make me sick. Kobe just led us through the tough Western Conference and took us to the finals without much help, and now you don't care if he loses the little help that he has???

3. "I could care the less if the Lakers win a ring in the next 3 years if they'll win 6 straight after that"....... Nothings guaranteed, especially not 6 straight rings. Heck, making it to the playoffs or finals isn't even guaranteed. Bad things can happen.

My point....we just made it to the finals without our starting C. Our window of opportunity is wide open RIGHT NOW especially with Bynum coming back, not a few years later. If we're gonna trade LO, Farmar and Turiaf, it needs to be for immediate help, not for a rookie who may or may not even pan out.[/b]

1)Yes, trading Odom to get Mayo if we keep Kobe too would be stupid. If you want to build for the future you get rid of all of them, but considering we're close to it, I don't see why we'd do that. You can get a real SF though for Odom so keeping him would be stupid.

2)After the huge LOL at the "little help he has" I have to say that I care more about how many rings the Lakers can win on the long run than Kobe's legacy. So yes. And if my comments make you sick, just carry a paper bag when you read them. I'm sorry for not giving so much thought about the feelings of the people who make 20 million dollars to put a ball through a hoop. He's played to play basketball so he should shut up and do it. This is like me working for a company and complaining about the yearly results and the P\L ratios when I have the biggest wage there.

3)And yes, things are guaranteed. It amuses me when you people think that worse teams beat better teams all the time. If you have the best team you win, if you don't, you lose. And yes, I agree we shouldn't chase rookies, but keeping Odom to play the SF is just as dumb.
BB

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 am

LOL. Beasley is going to be destroying people next year. It doesn't take a genius to do that scouting. He's a man amongst boys in college, he's a stronger version of Durant, and that's scary. And we are still talking about Lamar? Please. Beasley is going to be bringing Lamar numbers every night next year.

But this is all just pure pipe. Miami is taking Beasley at #2 unless someone sells their house for that pick. Riley is very smart. He's been making all the right moves to rebuild.
jimbo327

Postby ElginTheGreat on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:46 am

There is just no way this is going to happen.

But if it did, are people really questioning getting rid of Odom for the #2? LOL!
This one requires no thought. Beasley, Gasol, and Bynum would be unreal. Beasley and Kobe on the same team would be a defensive nightmare for anyone.
ElginTheGreat

Postby purplengoldjonez on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am

I first saw this and though it was a joke. Why the hell is it the headline story on CL??
What is 17,505
purplengoldjonez

Postby pureuncut100 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:08 am

purplengoldjonez wrote:I first saw this and though it was a joke. Why the hell is it the headline story on CL??

Thats a good question. No one with credibility has confirmed that they heard this rumor. As a matter of fact, no one period has heard this rumor.
pureuncut100

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:09 am

purplengoldjonez wrote:I first saw this and though it was a joke. Why the hell is it the headline story on CL??

Generate interest I suppose. It's just a fun topic to discuss. This isn't going to happen and we all pretty much know it.

I had no idea it was on the front page until you guys posted it. I never go to the front page personally.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby purplengoldjonez on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:

Generate interest I suppose. It's just a fun topic to discuss. This isn't going to happen and we all pretty much know it.

I had no idea it was on the front page until you guys posted it. I never go to the front page personally.

Thanks! thats what a figured. I have to admit when i saw it it sparked me to click and read..
What is 17,505
purplengoldjonez

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:22 am

I think it gave everyone a boost when they saw it on the front page. But that's just false hope. Unless someone like Gumby leaked it, but it's not even anyone legit. ESPN radio? My God, that's terrible.
jimbo327

Postby JSM on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:41 am

Rumors typically get a lot of play on the front page in the summer. The more active our front page is, the better it is for traffic. Rumors draw a lot of interest this time of year. When someone first comes across the site, the front page is one of the first things they will check out.
Last edited by JSM on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby The Rock on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:50 am

A little tidbit about Beasley from nbadraft.net

Going right he is very shaky, and struggles dribbling the ball more than twice with his right hand ...

sounds familiar

hmmm :man1:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Banzai on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:07 pm

How can the Lakers get Beasley if everyone here is talking about getting OJ Mayo? A pick can be used on any player right?
Banzai

Postby BryanttoBynum on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:25 pm

You do this, NO BRAINER. Beasley >>>> Odom and especially as a jump shooter which is what we need with Bynum back.
BryanttoBynum

Postby BryanttoBynum on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:28 pm

anyone looking for us to get Mayo with the 2nd pick if we get it is retarded. You get Beasley who immediately solves our problems with the 3. No brainer guys he can hit the jumper consistently and will only get better, that's what we need our 3 to do next year. Forget Mayo it doesn't even address a need.
BryanttoBynum

Postby wallangong on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:38 pm

BryanttoBynum wrote:anyone looking for us to get Mayo with the 2nd pick if we get it is retarded. You get Beasley who immediately solves our problems with the 3. No brainer guys he can hit the jumper consistently and will only get better, that's what we need our 3 to do next year. Forget Mayo it doesn't even address a need.

a) it's not retarded
b) where did this notion of Beasley being a reliable jumpshooter come from? the guy can hit but he's far from a reliable outside threat.

if you think long-term, you have a potentially great inside-out duo of Mayo and Bynum. Some scouts also believe Mayo is the most NBA-ready prospect in the draft.

there has only been one sure-thing through the draft in recent years: Lebron.

so nobody is retarded for considering the guy who was predicted to be No. 1 going into the college hoops season last year. personally, i have this feeling Beasley won't be the Second Coming like so many around here believe. just my opinion though.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Radner on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:40 pm

There's been talk that Mayo could go ahead of Beasley, so there's no reason to doubt it.
Radner

Postby Chicano on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:55 pm

MadMax wrote:
kray28 wrote:LOL...this is more pipe than Artest opting out and signing with us for the MLE.
Chicano

Postby d33pzone on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 pm

JSM wrote:

Traffic generator.

Truthfully?
d33pzone

Re: Lakers/Miami rumors are heating up

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:22 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
LAKEROC wrote:
pureuncut100 wrote:
LAKEROC wrote:ESPN radio reported that the Lakers and Heat are in talks that would trade Lamar Odom and the #58 pick to Miami. In exchange the Heat would trade to the Lakers Mark Blount, Udonis Haslem and Miami's coveted #2 pick in the draft. Rumor has it Riley is trying to clear cap space as much as he can, and wants Odom back in the fold.

Considering they do this, do we get better, worse or stay the same?

Also, assuming we do this trade, and Rose is taken #1, who do the Lakers select with #2.

I cant believe the Miami would do that trade. I do believe though that if the Lakers throw in Farmar, that trade gets done.

If we were to get the #2 pick, it has to be Beasley.

I hope you are assuming that Rose is gone by that point, because I can almost guarantee you that the Buss family and Mitch would love to have Derrick Rose on this team more than Micheal Beasely.

Rose on the Lakers would be my dream :man13:

Blount and Haslem? The number 2 (Beasley)? Huh?

Why would we do this? Why do we need a bunch of big guys when we have two 7 footers in our lineup? How does this address our need for a decent starting 3?
Because our backup center is Chris Mihm? I think that's a good enough reason to trade for bigs.. lol.

As far as SF.. I'd love for us to take Mayo with the pick.. Let Sasha start at the 2 & let Mayo be the 6th man.. Move Kobe to the 3
LakersN4

Postby Chicano on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:23 pm

d33pzone wrote:
JSM wrote:

Traffic generator.

Truthfully?
Brilliant sarcasm.
Chicano

Postby d33pzone on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:43 pm

Chicano wrote:
d33pzone wrote:
JSM wrote:

Traffic generator.

Truthfully?
Brilliant sarcasm.

It isn't sarcasm. That line was directed at BB in a previous post, not you. I want to know if the rumor was purposely put on the front page simply to generate traffic. I spent the greater part my morning searching for information, and I was unable to find anything. Then at noon, Chad Ford comes on ESPNNEWS and says the Miami Heat are going to take Michael Beasley because they didn't like any of the deals presented to them. I understand it's my fault for getting excited at something that says rumor, but I would expect that this rumor would have some credibility and a reputable source. ESPN radio doesn't do it for me. And if JSM has some information that I don't, then I apologize to him if he takes offense to this post.
d33pzone

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors