ESPN Radio: Lakers/Miami Rumors Heating Up (Not Marion)

Postby pureuncut100 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:26 pm

last stand wrote:
Jajwa wrote:I'd throw in Farmar to make it happen even. I really don't think people quite understand.

Getting Beasley is the equivalent of extending the team's title clock to eternity.

Why do it make sense for Miami?

They get to have a fast team of:

PG- Farmar
SG- Wade
SF- Marion
PF- Odom
C- Eventually they hope to sign a C

it extends the clock but does it still mean we are good for next year or do we take a step back

i guess he can't be worse offensively than lamar

but he can be worse than lamar defensively

is this derrick coleman part 2

Thats the thing. No matter what, we get better. If Lamar Odom is gone and Bynum comes back, the Lakers are better. The initial poster is right. Miami would have a very good solid team. They will lack a center but now days 80% of teams lack a center.

Furthermore, Miami wants a starting PG and outside of Deron Williams and Chris Paul, there arent many young PGs better than Farmar.
pureuncut100

Postby dmanxx on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 pm

i'd consider trading odom only if marion is in the deal. also put walton or fillers on both to make it work. that's the only trade that makes sense. :man1:
dmanxx

Postby HisAirness24 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Andy Katz is reporting Miami is considering OJ Mayo at #2 - they worked him out today. So if they don't draft Beasley that gives us a better shot at this deal, plus he reported that they're aiming for Boozer in 09-10.

Just reporting facts...
HisAirness24
CL Sim League Manager

Postby westcoast21 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Im really trying to not cry thinking about a lineup of:

Bynum
Gasol
Beasley
Bryant
Fisher

I mean a duo of Bynum and Beasley in the next 5 years? :man4:
westcoast21

Postby vic5150 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:19 pm

The Greatest wrote:beasley cant play sf on this team he needs to be close to the basket lamar has a better chance at sf then beasley beasley is a banger who wants to post up hes not gona knock down three point bombs and the lane is already clogged wit bynum and gasol the smart move is to take mayo its all about OJ baby

Actually from the dozen or so games saw of Beasley he has three point range and can face up or play with his back to the basket. He's by far the most polished offensive player in this draft as of today and is a great rebounder. I'd love Beasley, Mayo, Rose, or Bayless to be honest.
Black Dynamite: "I'm declaring war on anyone who sells drugs in the community!"
Chocolate Giddy-Up: "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs in the community!"
vic5150

Postby Amongst:Kings on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:20 pm

MORE PIPE THAN HOME DEPOT
Amongst:Kings

Postby vic5150 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:21 pm

soonerboy824 wrote:i think we take mayo if we get this trade and dont try to move it

our lineup could be either

PG fisher farmar
SG kobe sasha
SF ariza mayo
PF gasol haslem
C bynum turiaf

PG fisher farmar
SG mayo sasha
SF kobe ariza
PF gasol haslem
C bynum turiaf

haslem could even start with gasol offf the bench to give us an even better more prolific bench with a good defensive starting lineup

Mayo is 6'4" maybe 6'5", no way he plays the 3 spot. He's the definition of a combo guard. His decision making can be suspect but I'd be willing to bet it will improve dramatically over time.
Black Dynamite: "I'm declaring war on anyone who sells drugs in the community!"
Chocolate Giddy-Up: "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs in the community!"
vic5150

Postby crazylakerfanforlife on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:29 pm

even if we get a #2 pick phil wont play him. even if he is better than jordan. phil picks experience over skill.
crazylakerfanforlife

Postby westcoast21 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:31 pm

crazylakerfanforlife wrote:even if we get a #2 pick phil wont play him. even if he is better than jordan. phil picks experience over skill.

Name the last time Phil Jackson had a top 5 pick on his team? If the player is good, he will start.
westcoast21

Postby The LeBrons on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:01 pm

westcoast21 wrote:Im really trying to not cry thinking about a lineup of:

Bynum
Gasol
Beasley
Bryant
Fisher

I mean a duo of Bynum and Beasley in the next 5 years? :man4:

I can't even imagine. We would be too good.
“That was a trip. It felt great, though. I don’t got to worry about nobody poisoning my burger now. I can eat in peace.”

- Kobe, the NBA MVP
The LeBrons

Postby crazylakerfanforlife on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 pm

i dont see beasey become that good of a player sure maybe a allstar here and there but if we get the second pick we should use it as bait. maybe memphis would do sumthing like miller, critt, 5th pick for luke and 2nd pick
crazylakerfanforlife

Postby LakersRBack21 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 pm

JSM wrote:
LAKEROC wrote:Blount is a center, and address our backup center need.

Haslem is a small forward who is a very capable
rebounder

Beasely is a power forward, and would backup up Gasol, while giving the Lakers strength and toughness on the inside.

If you don't want Beasely you could always take OJ Mayo at #3, which gives incentive in case Sasha bolts this summer.

You've got it backwards. Haslem is a PF. Beasley is a PF who could play SF.

Exactly.
I am a huge fan of the most dominating franchise in pro basketball.
LakersRBack21

Postby The LeBrons on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:08 pm

crazylakerfanforlife wrote:i dont see beasey become that good of a player sure maybe a allstar here and there but if we get the second pick we should use it as bait. maybe memphis would do sumthing like miller, critt, 5th pick for luke and 2nd pick

We've had such success recently developing draft picks (with far less talent), it's hard for me to believe he wouldn't develop into a great player on this team.
“That was a trip. It felt great, though. I don’t got to worry about nobody poisoning my burger now. I can eat in peace.”

- Kobe, the NBA MVP
The LeBrons

Postby J-Smoove5 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:10 pm

So can anyone else actually confirm this was on the radio...
J-Smoove5

Postby LakersRBack21 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:11 pm

The Greatest wrote:beasley cant play sf on this team he needs to be close to the basket lamar has a better chance at sf then beasley beasley is a banger who wants to post up hes not gona knock down three point bombs and the lane is already clogged wit bynum and gasol the smart move is to take mayo its all about OJ baby

Have you ever seen Beasley play? The guy is a knock down shooter from long range. Believe me he would outshoot Odom any day of the week.
I am a huge fan of the most dominating franchise in pro basketball.
LakersRBack21

Postby westcoast21 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Yeah Beasley actually shot 37% from 3 this season. I dont care if its from college distance, he has a better jumpshot then Odom.
westcoast21

Postby crazylakerfanforlife on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:15 pm

i think this guys is pulling this sh1t out of his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]
crazylakerfanforlife

Postby The LeBrons on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:15 pm

westcoast21 wrote:Yeah Beasley actually shot 37% from 3 this season. I dont care if its from college distance, he has a better jumpshot then Odom.

And that was as option #1, 2, and 3. Every time Odom shoots a 3, the other team celebrates.

- Kobe, the NBA MVP
The LeBrons

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 pm

Assuming this was on the radio it looks extremely unlikely. This Chad Ford piece confirms they are looking to move the pick, they don't want Beasley, but they do want Mayo or Bayless. Meaning they are talking to teams with a lottery pick and not a 58th pick.

ESPN: If the Miami Heat's recent activities are any indication, they are not going to select Kansas State forward Michael Beasley with the No. 2 pick in Thursday's NBA draft.

With the first selection, the Chicago Bulls are leaning strongly toward drafting Memphis point guard Derrick Rose. While the Bulls say they won't announce their decision until draft night, Bulls GM John Paxson admits that Chicago is "probably leaning a certain way."

ESPN.com has been reporting since the draft lottery that Heat president Pat Riley has reservations about Beasley. While Beasley is a talent, Riley seems to be uncomfortable with his personality and seems dead set on finding a point guard to pair in the backcourt with Dwyane Wade.

To that end, Riley staged two separate secret workouts in Miami on Tuesday. The first, a source told ESPN.com, was for Arizona point guard Jerryd Bayless. The second was for USC guard O.J. Mayo, who confirmed to ESPN.com that he worked out for the team.

Sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Tuesday night that Mayo was even told by Heat brass -- which included Riley, general manager Randy Pfund and coach Erik Spoelstra -- that he is in contention to be selected outright at No. 2.

But there are also indications the Heat are shopping that pick and could select Mayo or Bayless lower after acquiring another asset.

After the Heat were informed that Shawn Marion would not opt out of his contract, sources said Riley began calling teams looking for serious offers for the second pick.

The Heat then brought in Mayo and Bayless. Both workouts lasted about 90 minutes. It's the second time the Heat have worked out Bayless and Mayo, and according to sources, Riley believes both are special talents.

Bayless had an "amazing" workout, according to the source. He "shot the lights" out and performed even better than he had in his first workout for the Heat. They believe he can be a full-time point guard in the pros, similar to Chauncey Billups.

The source said Mayo was also "great," and in addition to shooting the ball well, he performed well in some of the ballhandling drills. The Heat believe Mayo could be a Gilbert Arenas-type point guard.

The same source said Riley is enamored of Mayo's and Bayless' shooting ability and believes Mayo, like Bayless, can be a point guard in the NBA.

In addition to any questions about attitude, a number of high-ranking NBA sources told Katz that one of the main reasons the Heat wouldn't select Beasley is the hope that they will land Utah's Carlos Boozer in a year when he can opt out of his contract. Boozer has a home in Miami.

With the Heat now identifying two lottery picks that they would be comfortable with, and with questions about Beasley, it's looking more and more likely like they are going to trade their pick.

So the question is ... who is going to win the Michael Beasley sweepstakes? After talking to numerous sources around the league, here are the top four contenders:

1. Memphis Grizzlies

The Grizzlies have a huge hole at the power forward position (since trading away Pau Gasol) and see Beasley as an elite talent to pair up with Rudy Gay.

The Grizzlies can offer a number of deals that could entice Miami. They could include the No. 5 pick, Mike Miller and the Heat's choice of either Kyle Lowry or Mike Conley. Adding Miller and a point guard would allow the Heat to be very flexible with who they draft at No. 5. They could add another guard like Bayless or they could go big with a player like Brook Lopez or Kevin Love.

2. Los Angeles Clippers

The Clippers can offer the Heat someone Riley desperately covets: Elton Brand. A swap of the No. 2 pick and Marion for Brand and the No. 4 pick works under the salary cap and helps both teams with their needs. Why would Riley pull the trigger on that trade now, when he could just make a run at Brand in free agency next summer? Sources said the Heat would like to get Brand to Miami as soon as they can and lock him up to a long-term extension this fall. At No. 7, it's possible the Heat could still get Bayless.

The Clippers like Marion and Beasley, but they could actually use the No. 2 pick to grab Mayo. Mayo has been coveted by the Clippers for a while.

The Heat would have to weigh their interest in Brand against their desire for Boozer in 2009 in this scenario, however.

3. Seattle SuperSonics

Kevin Durant covets Beasley as a teammate. They were best friends growing up and want to play together. The Sonics think he's the perfect complement to Durant. They'd be willing to take back more salary to make it happen.

Sources say the Sonics are offering the expiring contract of Chris Wilcox, Johan Petro and the No. 4 pick to Miami for the No. 2 pick and Mark Blount. The move would save the Heat some serious money, putting them well below the cap in the summer of 2009.

The Heat would prefer Jeff Green in the deal instead of Wilcox and Petro, but it doesn't appear the Sonics are willing to go that far, even if the Heat dropped Blount from the equation.

A source close to Seattle told Katz that Miami hasn't called about a deal as of Tuesday.

4. Minnesota Timberwolves

The Wolves have been hoping and praying that Beasley somehow falls to them at No. 3. While he's not a perfect fit, they could move Al Jefferson to the 5 and have one of the highest-scoring front lines in the league. However, Beasley falling to No. 3 looks unlikely -- unless the Heat do pull the trigger on Mayo outright at No. 2. Can the Wolves put together a package that works if Beasley doesn't fall?

The Wolves have a few assets that could entice Miami. They actually hold the Heat's 2009 first-round pick, which is top-10 protected. They also have a player that the Heat have interest in: last year's lottery pick, Corey Brewer. If the Wolves really want Beasley, perhaps a return of the Heat's first-round pick and/or Brewer could make it happen.

A source close to Minnesota told Katz, however, that the Heat and the Timberwolves have talked but there was no deal that worked for both teams as of Tuesday night. Sources close to both Seattle and Minnesota also said that they would take Mayo if he was on the board when they selected.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby pureuncut100 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:02 pm

Yeah, I just read that also. I wonder why they are so opposed to Beasley. He must of just rubbed someone the wrong way. I guess Miami thinks they are a year away if they pick up Boozer after next year.

Who knows though. The Lakers still have Odom and who knows what we do with him. I dont think Jerry Buss will be happy paying our 4th option 15 million dollars a year. Something has to give.
pureuncut100

Postby THEONE24 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:57 pm

It's not like Lamar is a good outside shooter either. Beasley isn't afraid to bang up other players and he can get his points easier than Odom..
THEONE24

Postby Armani on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:44 am

what a joke :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
Armani

Postby Jajwa on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:45 am

Which part of it? That Miami would accept Odom for the #2... Ya
Jajwa

Postby The Greatest on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:56 am

its not that im opposed to beasley playing on the lakers i just feel that mayo is a better fit u can slide mayo in right now at pg or move kobe to the 3 and play mayo at the 2 personally i think mayo is the most complete offensive player in this draft he played in a loaded pac ten and averaged over 20 points a game mayo played against guys like bayless westbrook love budinger i mean were west coast ppl for the most part look at the pac ten its stacked wit talent and mayo was the best player in a loaded conference i like mayo's game i like his work ethic ppl have compared him to kobe as far as work ethic goes i mean whenyou have guys like wade wanting to work out with the guy and asking for his team to pick him then you gotta assume there's somthin there that cant be taught the kid's a usc guy you know he'd love playin in LA and ppl will compare him to Kobe when Kobe retires.
The Greatest

Re: ESPN Radio: Lakers/Miami Rumors Heating Up (Not Marion)

Postby Ramballa on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 am

LAKEROC wrote:ESPN radio reported that the Lakers and Heat are in talks that would trade Lamar Odom and the #58 pick to Miami. In exchange the Heat would trade to the Lakers Mark Blount, Udonis Haslem and Miami's coveted #2 pick in the draft. Rumor has it Riley is trying to clear cap space as much as he can, and wants Odom back in the fold.

Considering they do this, do we get better, worse or stay the same?

Also, assuming we do this trade, and Rose is taken #1, who do the Lakers select with #2.

If this trade went down.. most likely mbenga, coby andnewble will cut to make roster space.
Ramballa

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors