HoopsWorld: Josh Smith to L.A.? (DET update p9)

Postby Armo Flava on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:07 pm

Aceiz2fresh wrote:[in a heartbeat!
"i leave FLY dust on my haters when im passin em by"

Image
User avatar
Armo Flava

 
Posts: 3703
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:21 am
Location: waltham,ma

Postby westcoast21 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 pm

Hmm who could the teams be, list of possible teams and the main player that could be included in any deal:

Western Conference:

Lakers - Lamar Odom

Mavericks - Josh Howard

Rockets - Bye bye McGrady or Battier?

Nuggets - Camelo Anthony, what a interesting trade that would be

Jazz - Kirilenko

Eastern Conference:

Heat - Yes they said Eastern Conf. power house, but with Wade healthy, they are a top team. Player traded would be Marion.

Magic - Rashard Lewis

Wizards - Caron Butler

My guesses for the top two teams from each division:
WC - Lakers and Mavs
EC - Heat and Magic
Image
User avatar
westcoast21

 
Posts: 3745
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:44 pm
Location: Ariza's Asylum

Postby Perfect Makes Practice on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:57 pm

Armani wrote:Cleveland? :man10: :man10: :man10:


they have nothing outside of lebron to offer.



Wally's expiring contract.
Perfect Makes Practice

 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:02 pm

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:04 am

Perfect Makes Practice wrote:
Armani wrote:Cleveland? :man10: :man10: :man10:


they have nothing outside of lebron to offer.



Wally's expiring contract.


hmmm...why would they want Wally's expiring K when they can just let Josh Smith go and not resign him?
Image

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
User avatar
KB24
Site Admin
 
Posts: 55547
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: In Heaven

Postby L4L on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:06 am

I don't the Cavs are a player, but they'd want Wally because they'd get to include Claxton's contract and they'd certainly get Hickson in addition to probably another pick as well.
User avatar
L4L
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 11242
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Trade Rumors Forum

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:10 am

L4L wrote:I don't the Cavs are a player, but they'd want Wally because they'd get to include Claxton's contract and they'd certainly get Hickson in addition to probably another pick as well.


Wally, Snow, 1st for Smoove, Claxton?

Hickson would make sense, but hasn't he been signed?
Image

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
User avatar
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason
 
Posts: 21902
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:21 pm

Postby Vidball on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:18 am

westcoast21 wrote:Hmm who could the teams be, list of possible teams and the main player that could be included in any deal:

Western Conference:

Lakers - Lamar Odom

Mavericks - Josh Howard

Rockets - Bye bye McGrady or Battier?

Nuggets - Camelo Anthony, what a interesting trade that would be

Jazz - Kirilenko

Eastern Conference:

Heat - Yes they said Eastern Conf. power house, but with Wade healthy, they are a top team. Player traded would be Marion.

Magic - Rashard Lewis

Wizards - Caron Butler

My guesses for the top two teams from each division:
WC - Lakers and Mavs
EC - Heat and Magic


Williams is ATL's starting SF. They need a PF. Odom is the only PF on the list. Done deal! :jam2:
User avatar
Vidball

 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 pm
Location: Saint Louis

Postby Indianballer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 am

In my opinion its Orlando that's the team on the East. I think they can offer a nice deal of Hedo and a filler to make this happen. The magic aren't dumb they are probably sell Hedo when his stock is high.
Also Howard and Smith are old teammates and friends so they already have chemistry. Even more incentive for the magic to put this trade together.

In the west my Money is on Denver. The trade to get rid of Camby was odd. I understand they cleared salary but they also could have made a trade to get talent.Even Camby was shocked he got traded. I think they had their minds set on Smith the whole time. Also I think they've held off on signing JR Smith for that reason.

If Denver Packages Kleiza and Nene thats a much more enticing offer then just Odom. Also Denver needs a pg bad so claxton included makes sense as well.
Indianballer

 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 11:02 am

Postby neelio010 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:32 am

I'd love to see Smith on this team. He would bring that defensive tenacity that we need at the SF position. We would be a great team for a long time to come with im on this team.

Future lineup

C - Brynum
PF - Smith
SF - Ariza
SG - Crawford/Vujacic
PG - Farmar.
neelio010

 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:32 am

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 am

Indianballer wrote:In my opinion its Orlando that's the team on the East. I think they can offer a nice deal of Hedo and a filler to make this happen. The magic aren't dumb they are probably sell Hedo when his stock is high.
Also Howard and Smith are old teammates and friends so they already have chemistry. Even more incentive for the magic to put this trade together.

In the west my Money is on Denver. The trade to get rid of Camby was odd. I understand they cleared salary but they also could have made a trade to get talent.Even Camby was shocked he got traded. I think they had their minds set on Smith the whole time. Also I think they've held off on signing JR Smith for that reason.

If Denver Packages Kleiza and Nene thats a much more enticing offer then just Odom. Also Denver needs a pg bad so claxton included makes sense as well.


i agree
dont get your hopes up laker fans :man6:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Postby Indianballer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:47 am

I just want to mention that if this trade does go down this will probably be the only year Bryant/Pau/Smith/Bynum play together. Simple math says the pay roll will be around 95 million. So if you do this trade you can Kiss Gasol good bye.
So its up to Laker fans outside of this year who do you want more Gasol or Smith. I say Smith considering we already have Bynum, but I'm not to comfortable with losing Gasol. I hope you are Last Stand cause it seems like you are a big fan of the trade.
Indianballer

 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 11:02 am

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:52 am

Indianballer wrote:I just want to mention that if this trade does go down this will probably be the only year Bryant/Pau/Smith/Bynum play together. Simple math says the pay roll will be around 95 million. So if you do this trade you can Kiss Gasol good bye.
So its up to Laker fans outside of this year who do you want more Gasol or Smith. I say Smith considering we already have Bynum, but I'm not to comfortable with losing Gasol. I hope you are Last Stand cause it seems like you are a big fan of the trade.


damn good point
and hasnt odom said he'd take a pay cut?
i love speculating as much as the next guy, but i think we keep odom, see how he works at SF this season
besides, hasnt he said he'd take a paycut? i thought he did...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40208
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Postby GinoDB on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:09 am

therealdeal wrote:
Indianballer wrote:I just want to mention that if this trade does go down this will probably be the only year Bryant/Pau/Smith/Bynum play together. Simple math says the pay roll will be around 95 million. So if you do this trade you can Kiss Gasol good bye.
So its up to Laker fans outside of this year who do you want more Gasol or Smith. I say Smith considering we already have Bynum, but I'm not to comfortable with losing Gasol. I hope you are Last Stand cause it seems like you are a big fan of the trade.


damn good point
and hasnt odom said he'd take a pay cut?
i love speculating as much as the next guy, but i think we keep odom, see how he works at SF this season
besides, hasnt he said he'd take a paycut? i thought he did...


maybe he has but thats not good to rely on it

Ronny said hed be here if the Lakers wanted him to and they did but he did not because he wanted more minutes
User avatar
GinoDB

 
Posts: 7916
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:54 pm
Location: GO LAKERS !

Postby L4L on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:14 am

Right now (next year): 56 million
Sasha: Approx 5
Smoove: Approx 12
Bynum: Approx 13
Total: 86 million

Luxury tax next season will probably be around 73.5 million (goes up by about 2 million and change on average). That would have us paying 101.5 million (luxury tax + 3 million dollar penalty for being over the luxury limit).

Now, if Kobe uses his ETO, and resigns to a new deal, we can decrease that number by, potentially, 12-20 million dollars depending on his contract structure.

Let's say Kobe signs a 70mi/4yr deal worth about 17.5 million a year. His first years starts at 15 million, rather than 23 million. That takes our initial salary from 86 million to 78 million. Buss now pays 4.5 million in luxury tax + the 3 million dollar penalty. That takes us to 85.5 million -- a number that Buss would pay to have Smith on the team.
User avatar
L4L
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 11242
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Trade Rumors Forum

Postby Indianballer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:58 am

I don't think Kobe is going to take a 8 million dollar paycut in one year. I could see 18-19 million in starting salary but not 15. Even so an 85 million dollar roster is still unreasonable for Buss, but yeah I could see how he might pay that IF we win the championship.
Indianballer

 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 11:02 am

Postby L4L on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:03 am

Kobe's first deal was 7 years, 136 million. That's an average of 19.5 million a year. The pay-cut is not 8 million; it's 2 million a year. If we started him out at 19 or 20 million a year, we'd be giving him a raise...

The contracts progressively increase in the NBA.
User avatar
L4L
Clublakers Moderator
 
Posts: 11242
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 pm
Location: Trade Rumors Forum

Postby earvinfr on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:31 am

Don't be too comfident with our offer !

Many teams had a better deal to offer for Pau and we finally got him.

We had a better offer for Garnett than and the Celtics landed him.

So even if we may have the best offer for Smith, it doesn't mean nothing in this league.
earvinfr

 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: France

Postby UKUGA on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:57 am

One other minor thing I'll throw in if the Lakers can add Smith is that with him on the roster, Kobe no longer has to be "the show", he can simply be the best player.

May not seem like much, and some may disagree; but, the point is that Josh Smith is in the top 5 (maybe higher) of "gotta see this guy play in person" talents in this league.

Not only will Smith contribute to the team from a competitive perspective; but, he also adds an element of excitement that will keep butts in the seats, and allow the Lakers to continue to increase ticket prices. He can do all the high-flying dunks and great defensive stops needed to spark the team and crowd, while allowing Kobe, who will be 30 next month, to focus on more of a floor game.

Before you anyone gets angry and disagrees, this is in no way me saying that Kobe will no longer be as exciting a player. It's simply me noting that with the addition of Smith, Kobe no longer has to be "Mr. Excitement" for 48 minutes, especially the way he was in 06 and 07.
"The Lakers need more fans like you!"
- Gary Vitti, to me, in a Cleveland restaurant
User avatar
UKUGA

 
Posts: 3872
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: 30307

Postby sleepin4matty on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:52 am

therealdeal wrote:
Indianballer wrote:I just want to mention that if this trade does go down this will probably be the only year Bryant/Pau/Smith/Bynum play together. Simple math says the pay roll will be around 95 million. So if you do this trade you can Kiss Gasol good bye.
So its up to Laker fans outside of this year who do you want more Gasol or Smith. I say Smith considering we already have Bynum, but I'm not to comfortable with losing Gasol. I hope you are Last Stand cause it seems like you are a big fan of the trade.


damn good point
and hasnt odom said he'd take a pay cut?
i love speculating as much as the next guy, but i think we keep odom, see how he works at SF this season
besides, hasnt he said he'd take a paycut? i thought he did...


Odom has said on numerous occasions that he wants to retire a Laker and is willing to take a cut.
sleepin4matty

 
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:16 am

Postby sleepin4matty on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:54 am

UKUGA wrote:One other minor thing I'll throw in if the Lakers can add Smith is that with him on the roster, Kobe no longer has to be "the show", he can simply be the best player.

May not seem like much, and some may disagree; but, the point is that Josh Smith is in the top 5 (maybe higher) of "gotta see this guy play in person" talents in this league.

Not only will Smith contribute to the team from a competitive perspective; but, he also adds an element of excitement that will keep butts in the seats, and allow the Lakers to continue to increase ticket prices. He can do all the high-flying dunks and great defensive stops needed to spark the team and crowd, while allowing Kobe, who will be 30 next month, to focus on more of a floor game.

Before you anyone gets angry and disagrees, this is in no way me saying that Kobe will no longer be as exciting a player. It's simply me noting that with the addition of Smith, Kobe no longer has to be "Mr. Excitement" for 48 minutes, especially the way he was in 06 and 07.


Good point. Us trading LO for Smith would be awesome. We automatically replace all the blocks we lose w/ Ronny going North and we replace Odom's rebounding at SF too.
sleepin4matty

 
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:16 am

Postby Armani on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:56 am

JJ Hickson? please. I highly doubt that, i don't think the cavs have a chance. IMO it's the Magic. It makes sense for them, but who exactly are they offering would be my question.
Image
User avatar
Armani

 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:45 pm

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 am

OK, so I logged on this morning for the first time since Friday and see a Josh Smith to the Lakers thread. Read the little article. Is this actually legit, or is this merely another example of a writer throwing the Lakers name in an article to get the maximum number of hits possible on his webpage?
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9024
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Postby Laker_fan_in_Ne on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:39 am

L4L wrote:
It's no secret the Detroit Pistons are among the teams watching the Josh Smith drama in Atlanta unfold with a lot of interest.

But according to a league official, a published report in Atlanta that made reference to an "Eastern Conference team" having a sign-and-trade offer on the table for Smith, is not Detroit.

In fact, it has been more than three weeks since the two teams talked.


LINK

Interesting, no? It appears Detroit is NOT the Eastern conference top dog that was interested in making a move for Smith.


Unless I missed something it never says anything about 'top dog' in the East, it just mentions another EC team looking into him. My guess would be Walsh and the Knickerbockers looking to unload Randolph for a S&T. And really for most teams in the East, one good move and you are in position to be second rounder so that really opens the door for a lot of teams. Even a team like the Bucks who could pair him with RJ and Bogus would be a class team in the East. I don't know who/what the Bucks could offer, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them in the mix some how either.
Laker_fan_in_Ne

 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Nebraska

Postby vic5150 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:50 am

Savory Griddles wrote:OK, so I logged on this morning for the first time since Friday and see a Josh Smith to the Lakers thread. Read the little article. Is this actually legit, or is this merely another example of a writer throwing the Lakers name in an article to get the maximum number of hits possible on his webpage?


Hopefully it's legit but most likely it's an effort to generate hits.
Black Dynamite: "I'm declaring war on anyone who sells drugs in the community!"
Chocolate Giddy-Up: "But Black Dynamite, I sell drugs in the community!"
vic5150

 
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:02 pm
Location: South Central Los Angeles

Postby wallangong on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:01 am

L4L wrote:
wallangong wrote:i've seen you mention this a number of times: where does this news come from about Smith having a better work ethic? please don't just say because Odom doesn't go right and his jump shot. is there any sort of evidence ANYWHERE to suggest he has a better work ethic?


Image
Per 36 so it isn't an increase in playing time. He has improved his game every season.

Smith has continually added moves and abilities to his repertoire and it has manifested itself in the statistics.

Odom, on the other hand, outside of a better understanding of his role and the extent of his abilities in the NBA, is a very similar player to when he first came in the league.


this correlates to his work ethic, but doesn't prove anything regarding their work ethic. Smith has a much higher ceiling than LO, isn't it possible he just plateaued? and consider he hasn't been able to refine his game in the past 2 offseasons, it's a little misleading to think that PER stats tell you who works harder than the other. some people have a natural touch and instinct for the game. Smith has much better instincts on D and his athleticism is unquestioned.

Jason Kidd is one of the worst shooting Guards in the league, does that mean he hasn't worked on his shot?

i love Smith's game and i'd probably do the trade, i would just like to see actual accounts from observers before i compare the work ethic of a guy who's leveled off and another who has a questionable attitude. just MHO.
Go Buffs.
User avatar
wallangong

 
Posts: 2505
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Colorado

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.