HoopsWorld: Josh Smith to L.A.? (DET update p9)

Postby Vidball on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:05 pm

Why do all the media reports seem to say ATL is looking at SF's??? Howard, Prince, etc. They need a Center or a PF. So far, I don't know that anyone besides Odom would make much sense (unless Boozer were to become available--which I doubt).
Vidball

Postby sleepin4matty on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:06 pm

emplay wrote:honestly no - it's really quiet right now - and everyone seems to think LA is standing pat - you can take taht to be true - or that they're keeping things quiet re: any potential deals.

I do believe given the opportunity the Lakers would move Odom if they felt it improved their team dramatically - I know they're monitoring Chicago with Deng/Hinrich - and I know they had interest in Smith a week or so ago.

But I haven't been able to get more yet - possibly cause there is no more - or possibly because it's just kept intentionally private.

Thanks for your contributions and investigations.
sleepin4matty

Postby westcoast21 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:19 pm

emplay wrote:honestly no - it's really quiet right now - and everyone seems to think LA is standing pat - you can take taht to be true - or that they're keeping things quiet re: any potential deals.

I do believe given the opportunity the Lakers would move Odom if they felt it improved their team dramatically - I know they're monitoring Chicago with Deng/Hinrich - and I know they had interest in Smith a week or so ago.

But I haven't been able to get more yet - possibly cause there is no more - or possibly because it's just kept intentionally private.

Do you think the Lakers can get some sort of deal done with Chicago that would bring us Hinrich and Deng or just one of them?
westcoast21

Postby emplay on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:24 pm

I think LA only makes a move if it improve the team - and with that in mind - I think they probably jump at the opportunity to get both - but probably don't to get either. Obviously that's hard to say definitively.
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby L4L on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:00 pm

wallangong wrote:i love Smith's game and i'd probably do the trade, i would just like to see actual accounts from observers before i compare the work ethic of a guy who's leveled off and another who has a questionable attitude. just MHO.

Many of us have heard and seen interviews with players talking about Smith's work ethic etc. I was simply giving you the objective numbers to back up the claim.

For what it's worth, LO's numbers never went through, NEVER, the same kind of gradual increase in any category.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby L4L on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:02 pm

Laker_fan_in_Ne wrote:Unless I missed something

JSM wrote:
Sekou K Smith of the Atlanta Journal Constitution wrote:
There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are chewing on regarding Smith (one from a Western Conference power and the other from an Eastern Conference big dog) that could dramatically change the landscape in Hawksville.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Six_Six_One on Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:37 pm

KB24@CL wrote:
Perfect Makes Practice wrote:
Armani wrote:Cleveland? :man10: :man10: :man10:

they have nothing outside of lebron to offer.

Wally's expiring contract.

hmmm...why would they want Wally's expiring K when they can just let Josh Smith go and not resign him?

lol, seriously.

But it all seriousness, I think the teams involved in this are - in order:

West - Suns, Mavericks, Lakers
East - Sixers, Pistons, Celtics

The Suns are in desperate need of defense, athleticism and rebounding. But the first thing they need to address is their aging point guard issue; they traded away their only young solid point in Marcus Banks. Maybe should've moved up the draft for Bayless? A quick sign and trade in a deal offering Diaw and Barbosa could fair well with Atlanta's game plan.

The Mavericks need an athletic swingman to compensate for their softness. Can they win a championship with Smith? No, I don't think so. But he would be a very logical acquisition at this point, and if he can work it out, I think Cuban would be all over this possibility. Josh Howard is in all likelyness the odd man out here, and he's a damn good enough player for Atlanta to at least seriously consider. But losing Smith does HUGE damage, and I'd look to at least get a high scorer and legit second option to compliment Johnson especially if Bibby bolts.

The Lakers obviously have Lamar Odom to dangle as a trade piece, but I don't necessarily believe that Atlanta is targeting an expiring contract. God knows Odom will bolt out from Atlanta, and if he does so does Mike Bibby. An interesting thought, but I don't see the Hawks jumping on this one. Also, nobody really talks about this, but I could see the Lakers letting Odom go once he hits free agency so they could max Bynum out.

The Sixers can offer Andre Iguodala and some picks, and maybe toss in Dalembert to make salaries match. I think any deal not involving Brand and Miller for J-Smoove is a good one. I think this is the team we are hearing about.

The Pistons could be a viable option as well, but who would they deal? Certainly not billups. Atlanta already has Bibby. Maybe Hamilton, moving Johnson up to the 3. Prince? Their are some good options here, so maybe.

The Celtics missed out on re-signing Posey and not being able to sign Maggette. Left with a void at the 3, it's only obvious that they at least have interest, but unless Atlanta is willing to send Smith to the team that beat them in the first round in return for no real talent, then I don't see this happening at all.

Teams most likely involved: Suns and Sixers/Pistons
Six_Six_One

Postby wallangong on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:03 pm

L4L wrote:
wallangong wrote:i love Smith's game and i'd probably do the trade, i would just like to see actual accounts from observers before i compare the work ethic of a guy who's leveled off and another who has a questionable attitude. just MHO.

Many of us have heard and seen interviews with players talking about Smith's work ethic etc. I was simply giving you the objective numbers to back up the claim.

For what it's worth, LO's numbers never went through, NEVER, the same kind of gradual increase in any category.

see i've never heard that, but i'll take your word for it. i just wanted to see it from the horse's mouth.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby L4L on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:03 pm

^^They had a piece on him during the ATL vs. BOS series. I'll see if I can't find it somewhere.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby deal on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:44 pm

sleepin4matty wrote:
UKUGA wrote:One other minor thing I'll throw in if the Lakers can add Smith is that with him on the roster, Kobe no longer has to be "the show", he can simply be the best player.

May not seem like much, and some may disagree; but, the point is that Josh Smith is in the top 5 (maybe higher) of "gotta see this guy play in person" talents in this league.

Not only will Smith contribute to the team from a competitive perspective; but, he also adds an element of excitement that will keep butts in the seats, and allow the Lakers to continue to increase ticket prices. He can do all the high-flying dunks and great defensive stops needed to spark the team and crowd, while allowing Kobe, who will be 30 next month, to focus on more of a floor game.

Before you anyone gets angry and disagrees, this is in no way me saying that Kobe will no longer be as exciting a player. It's simply me noting that with the addition of Smith, Kobe no longer has to be "Mr. Excitement" for 48 minutes, especially the way he was in 06 and 07.

Good point. Us trading LO for Smith would be awesome. We automatically replace all the blocks we lose w/ Ronny going North and we replace Odom's rebounding at SF too.

good trade for all...
deal

Postby wallangong on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:48 pm

L4L wrote:^^They had a piece on him during the ATL vs. BOS series. I'll see if I can't find it somewhere.

eh don't worry about it. i trust your word.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Six_Six_One wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:

hmmm...why would they want Wally's expiring K when they can just let Josh Smith go and not resign him?

lol, seriously.

The Suns are in desperate need of defense, athleticism and rebounding. But the first thing they need to address is their aging point guard issue; they traded away their only young solid point in Marcus Banks. Maybe should've moved up the draft for Bayless? A quick sign and trade in a deal offering Diaw and Barbosa could fair well with Atlanta's game plan.

The Mavericks need an athletic swingman to compensate for their softness. Can they win a championship with Smith? No, I don't think so. But he would be a very logical acquisition at this point, and if he can work it out, I think Cuban would be all over this possibility. Josh Howard is in all likelyness the odd man out here, and he's a damn good enough player for Atlanta to at least seriously consider. But losing Smith does HUGE damage, and I'd look to at least get a high scorer and legit second option to compliment Johnson especially if Bibby bolts.

The Lakers obviously have Lamar Odom to dangle as a trade piece, but I don't necessarily believe that Atlanta is targeting an expiring contract. God knows Odom will bolt out from Atlanta, and if he does so does Mike Bibby. An interesting thought, but I don't see the Hawks jumping on this one. Also, nobody really talks about this, but I could see the Lakers letting Odom go once he hits free agency so they could max Bynum out.

The Sixers can offer Andre Iguodala and some picks, and maybe toss in Dalembert to make salaries match. I think any deal not involving Brand and Miller for J-Smoove is a good one. I think this is the team we are hearing about.

The Pistons could be a viable option as well, but who would they deal? Certainly not billups. Atlanta already has Bibby. Maybe Hamilton, moving Johnson up to the 3. Prince? Their are some good options here, so maybe.

The Celtics missed out on re-signing Posey and not being able to sign Maggette. Left with a void at the 3, it's only obvious that they at least have interest, but unless Atlanta is willing to send Smith to the team that beat them in the first round in return for no real talent, then I don't see this happening at all.

Im sure doesn't want Diaw back. He doesn't fit their team, plus his contract is atrocious. As for Barbosa he's a good player, but he's a tad bit overrated, and they already have Acie Law. I don't see Phx being the team, they just don't have an enticing pieces for Atl and Atl would be losing capspace. Not the team...

Dallas could definatly be a possiblity. It would have to include Josh Howard. But Atl already has Marvin Williams at the 3 and could really use more of a 4. And I don't think they have any 1sts to trade. I see them getting Ron Artest. Probably would be my guess if it wasn't the Lakers.

It won't be the Celtics...
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7

Postby Andrew Bynum17 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Six_Six_One wrote:
KB24@CL wrote:

lol, seriously.

I disagree....why would the hawks want diaws nasty contract as well as barbosa's when barbosa is practically useless behind smith n bibby..

And sixers wouldn't trade iguodala for smith....no way... and once again iguodala plays joe johnsons position.. And if they do that they are probablly gonnahave to start marvin at the 4 and they don't want that either...

Pistons could possibly be in the mix but an article came out saying they are not in it so could be smokescreen...

Not to be a homer but lakers have the best package unless mavs want to give howard and that isn't happening I don't think.....
Andrew Bynum17

Postby Indianballer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:43 pm

For Dallas Josh Howard for Josh Smith is a lateral move. I think both are equally talented but in their own ways. Plus Dallas didn't even consider trading Howard for Artest, so I could see the same reluctance for Josh Smith but I'm sure they would def. think about it.

I think the Suns might be the team, Kerr is looking for defense and they might have an offer. I think they would want to take Diaw, they drafted in the first place. I don't think they want Barbosa considering they just signed Mo Evans.

Also Mitch was on the Loose Cannons, and he seemed very settled with the rotation of Lamar, Pau, and Bynum as our big men. It sounded to me as if Lamar was in the plan and he seemed quite done with adding people to the team. Obviously he wouldn't say if he wasn't done but seemed quite reluctant to even consider adding anyone to the team.
Indianballer

Postby Indianballer on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:46 pm

I would just like to add Kwame is gone to the effin pistons. Lakersmad a huge mistake not getting this guy.
Indianballer

Postby JSM on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:20 pm

Indianballer wrote:I would just like to add Kwame is gone to the effin pistons. Lakersmad a huge mistake not getting this guy.

:man10:

Did you look at the details of the contract?
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:30 pm

all that i saw was the 8 mil for two years...
seems a bit much for Kwame though
i wouldnt have given him 4 mil
no way
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:28 am

I agree with getting involved as a third team.. If we could turn Odom into Howard + Bass I would be rather do that than just Odom for Smith. Howard fills alot more of our needs.. Better shooter than Smith, still an upgrade from LO at the 3 defensively.. I think what trumps Smith is adding Bass.. The guy is a ton better than any backup f/c we have a chance to add through FA & still young with tons of room for improvement.

Fisher/Farmar
Kobe/Sasha
Howard/Ariza/Luke
Pau/Bass/Vlade
Bynum/Mihm

I still wouldn't mind adding another C.. Not sure if they would do that or just give Pau all the backup minutes once Mihm once again shows them he's done.. Either way Bass wouldn't be a liability for us when he's on the floor.
LakersN4

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 am

Indianballer wrote:For Dallas Josh Howard for Josh Smith is a lateral move. I think both are equally talented but in their own ways. Plus Dallas didn't even consider trading Howard for Artest, so I could see the same reluctance for Josh Smith but I'm sure they would def. think about it.
Can't say I agree with that at all. They might both be equally talented in their own ways, But in Smiths case, all the blocks fueling fast breaks + great finishing is definitely the type of talent you want on a team with Kidd. Far from a lateral move.
LakersN4

Postby Indianballer on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:49 am

Thats actually a good point, didn't think about that. Josh Smith is very similar to Kenyon Martin and the Nets thrived when those two were together so you never know.
BUT The fact that Josh Howard can actually shoot the ball is a much larger plus in my mind. Josh Smith will block 3-4 times a game, while Howard can be set up for the Jumper from Kidd 10-15 times a game.
Indianballer

Postby last stand on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 am

you know as much as i want josh smith, ron artest, shawn marion, teyshaun prince, luol deng i can't help but think while odom may be a terrible fit he is a much better SF than either vlad or luke who played significant minutes there

add lamar beign obviously better than vlad or luke by a lot and then couple that with bynum coming back we are really a lot better off

would i rather see artest, smith, deng, prince, marion yes

am i perfectly content with lamar odom as our starting SF? yes

sometimes it may seem like i have something against the guy and thats completely false

i love the guy but i question his work ethic and his ability to play the SF

having said that i must reiterate to every laker fan who doesn't know this and most of you i think do know this

lamar is a significant improvement no matter how bad a fit he is over vlad and luke period

just thought i'd get that off my chest
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:46 am

Indianballer wrote:Thats actually a good point, didn't think about that. Josh Smith is very similar to Kenyon Martin and the Nets thrived when those two were together so you never know.
BUT The fact that Josh Howard can actually shoot the ball is a much larger plus in my mind. Josh Smith will block 3-4 times a game, while Howard can be set up for the Jumper from Kidd 10-15 times a game.
2 seasons ago on a team with Jefferson & Carter, who play a similar perimeter oriented game, Kidd still got a ton of his assists setting up Mikki Moore who had a career year. Kidd thrives when he has a teammate who can attack the rim.. Besides, they still have Dirk/Terry out there most of the time.. Along with plenty of other guys who can knock down jumpers.. The 1 thing they don't have is a guy who can get to the rack at will
LakersN4

Postby last stand on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:49 am

i will say this again just one more time for resonation

the hawks want marvin williams to be their starting SF

that could easily change but i have a friend whose a hawks fan and he says he is dying to see marvin blossom.

i am assuming most hawks fans carry the same sentiment.

could they take josh howard

yes

will they i think if it came down to odom and josh they would take odom

as i've shown twice

look at these line-ups which is better

horford
lamar
williams
johnson
bibby

-or-

zaza
horford
howard
johnson
bibby

look at them and tell yourself which should they take

is it a sure thing hell no i am beginning to believe atlanta will have him sign the 1 year qualifying offer

if they trade him more than likely they want him west

dallas and LA seem most interested and in a bidding war i feel as though LA could beat dallas

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:51 am

LakersN4 wrote:
Indianballer wrote:Thats actually a good point, didn't think about that. Josh Smith is very similar to Kenyon Martin and the Nets thrived when those two were together so you never know.
2 seasons ago on a team with Jefferson & Carter, who play a similar perimeter oriented game, Kidd still got a ton of his assists setting up Mikki Moore who had a career year. Kidd thrives when he has a teammate who can attack the rim.. Besides, they still have Dirk/Terry out there most of the time.. Along with plenty of other guys who can knock down jumpers.. The 1 thing they don't have is a guy who can get to the rack at will

i think their need for and inside presence is much greater than a need for a slasher

if they needed one that badly they should have made a hard push for maggette

they have dampier and diop patrolling the paint

thats not a championship level frontline with or without josh smith

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Amongst:Kings on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:54 am

I think Denver is a dark horse team also...Melo for Smith
Denver has been entertaining the idea of moving Melo and this is the best value they will get. Atlanta also gets the best value they can and IMO even somewhat improve with this trade.

Oh and there is no way Phx is getting Smith unless Amare is involved. Diaw is a product of Nash and MDA's system, he will shortly be considered one of the more overpaid players of the NBA. Barbosa is nice, but with JJ and Bibby, there is really no need for that high priced 6th man who will only see at most 22-24 mins per game.

Besides, Diaw and Marvin Williams is a very frail sf/pf combo.
Amongst:Kings

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors