HoopsWorld: Josh Smith to L.A.? (DET update p9)

Postby L4L on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:29 am

PER is set to league averages so that really wouldn't matter because we aren't just examining points.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:32 am

Ah I guess that's what happens when you try to call out L4L on stats.

You know your stuff.. lol
LakersN4

Postby deal on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:49 am

Could LAL just trade for this kid instead of a S&T? There you could send over Luke or Vlad, who for Atlanta's benefit already are signed, and LAL whould take the risk to see how the kid works in the Tri before dishing out money to him. Risk for LA is he would become a RFA but we'd have Odom cash to sign one of them...

just an idea,..
deal

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:44 am

deal wrote:Could LAL just trade for this kid instead of a S&T? There you could send over Luke or Vlad, who for Atlanta's benefit already are signed, and LAL whould take the risk to see how the kid works in the Tri before dishing out money to him. Risk for LA is he would become a RFA but we'd have Odom cash to sign one of them...

just an idea,..
I think their main motivation for a S&T is getting rid of claxtons salary also. So we'd need around 9 mil in expiring contracts to pull it off.

But in the end who knows.. Sacto's main motivation was supposed to be getting rid of KT's contract.. I think we just stay getting BS info
LakersN4

Postby sleepin4matty on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 am

10scott10 wrote:
last stand wrote:
Indianballer wrote:All the writers say Artest will start at Power Forward. If they do this Scola is the backup PF. So where does that leave Carl Landry. The rockets really don't need him and I don't think they have the monry to sign him. I think he is the perfect 3/4 player we need that can really get nasty and do the dirty work at either the 3 or 4. I think he would be the perfect last piece.

there is no way they start ron at PF

how does he guard

boozer
david west
pau gasol
tim duncan
kevin garnett

basically the teams they have to play to get to a title will create serious matchup problems

I mean Bill Artest trying to defend pau. :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

i like that match-up

Artest at the 4 isn't THAT bad of a matchup considering he would have Yao there backing him up. Also, Artest has a very low center of gravity which would make it hard for those guys to really back him down. Artest against West and Boozer wouldn't be all that hard on the team and he wouldn't guard duncan or Garnett because Yao is still there. Yao doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with guys like Dirk, Boozer, Garnett, West, Amare but Artest does and his lower body strength will keep him from getting pushed around too much. I think he might rack up fouls more but still not a HORRIBLE idea.

I digress. Any more news re: Josh Smith for LO? ^^^That's always the motivation when trading a talented player. Look at the past trades and you will see those horrible contracts get paired up w/ good players. Shaq for BGrant, VanHorn for Kidd, etc.
sleepin4matty

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:30 am

sleepin4matty wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
last stand wrote:
Indianballer wrote:All the writers say Artest will start at Power Forward. If they do this Scola is the backup PF. So where does that leave Carl Landry. The rockets really don't need him and I don't think they have the monry to sign him. I think he is the perfect 3/4 player we need that can really get nasty and do the dirty work at either the 3 or 4. I think he would be the perfect last piece.

how does he guard

boozer
david west
pau gasol
tim duncan
kevin garnett

basically the teams they have to play to get to a title will create serious matchup problems

I mean Bill Artest trying to defend pau. :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

i like that match-up

Artest at the 4 isn't THAT bad of a matchup considering he would have Yao there backing him up. Also, Artest has a very low center of gravity which would make it hard for those guys to really back him down. Artest against West and Boozer wouldn't be all that hard on the team and he wouldn't guard duncan or Garnett because Yao is still there. Yao doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with guys like Dirk, Boozer, Garnett, West, Amare but Artest does and his lower body strength will keep him from getting pushed around too much. I think he might rack up fouls more but still not a HORRIBLE idea.

I digress. Any more news re: Josh Smith for LO? ^^^That's always the motivation when trading a talented player. Look at the past trades and you will see those horrible contracts get paired up w/ good players. Shaq for BGrant, VanHorn for Kidd, etc.

Artest guarding pfs against a lot of teams wouldn't kill the Rockets. It WOULD kill them against us because Pau is a deft passer and too tall for Artest. Yao rolls to Artest to give him backup and guess who gets left open? That's right, the ultimate garbage point center, Andrew Bynum. Gasol could average a triple double against the Rockets for all the assists he would rack up throwing lobs to Bynum when Yao has to come help Artest.
Savory Griddles

Postby sleepin4matty on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:27 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
sleepin4matty wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
last stand wrote:

how does he guard

boozer
david west
pau gasol
tim duncan
kevin garnett

i like that match-up

Artest guarding pfs against a lot of teams wouldn't kill the Rockets. It WOULD kill them against us because Pau is a deft passer and too tall for Artest. Yao rolls to Artest to give him backup and guess who gets left open? That's right, the ultimate garbage point center, Andrew Bynum. Gasol could average a triple double against the Rockets for all the assists he would rack up throwing lobs to Bynum when Yao has to come help Artest.

True. I think we're the only team that would cause them a lot of trouble with this though. If you think about it Artest on Amare isn't that bad of a matchup for Houston especially considering that they could have Scola or Landry on Amare instead. Dirk and Dampier, haha, Duncan and Oberto, haha, West and Chandler, again haha.
sleepin4matty

Postby Questionmark on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:33 am

I've been thinking about it, and it is pretty ridiculous to think that Odom will be the 4th option on this team.

I will have little to no problem with Odom at the 3 position if I knew he was working on his outside game and his lateral quickness. Those are basically the only two things I want to see him improve at this point.
ImageImage
Questionmark

Two trades...

Postby fandango on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:58 pm

Atlanta sign Josh Smith to a six year $ 65.0 mil deal and send him to the Lakers, along with center Zaza Pachulia ($ 4.0 mil, he is FA-'09) and Pg Speedy Claxton ( $ 5.7 and $ 5.2 mil.)
The Lakers sends a package of L.Odom, L.Walton and Ch.Mihm. The deal works money wayse.

Atlanta Hawks

PG M.Bibby (Acie Law)
SG Joe Johnson
SF M.Williams (L.Walton) J.Richardson
PF L.Odom (SolomonJones)
C Ch.Mihm (Al Harford)

Then, we send Sp.Claxton to Charlotte for a second round pick. They do have at 1 only R.Felton and just drafted pic #9 - P.J.Augustine.
If that deal can not go through, then there is another option. We can sent Sp.Claxton to any Europen club for two years and just take his remaining $ 11.0 mil. out of our payroll.

Then, we trade Vlade and C.Karl to Philadelphia for Reggie Evans. They both have 3 more years remaining, but the 76-ers have 5 PF's and they need a back-up for A.Iguodala at SF. They also lack a long range shooter, so Vlad can be a good fit for them. And the Lakers gets the rebounding skils of R.Evans and his steady defence on the court.

Philadelphia

PG A.Miller
SG W.Green (C.Karl)
SF A.Iguodala (Radmanovic) T.Young
PF E.Brand (J.Smith) M.Speights
C S.Dalembert
As you can see, they need at least 4 more players to complette their roster.
The Lakers will have 13 players under contract and a room for signing a FA in case of an injury of someone.

LAKERS

PG. D.Fisher (J.Farmar) Sun Yue
SG. K.Bryant (S.Vujacic) Joe Crawford
SF Josh Smith (Tr.Ariza )
PF Pau Gasol (R.Evans)
C A.Bynum (Z.Pachulia) E.Baron (7-0 FA from Miami)

Josh Smith is 6'9" tall and he can get some minutes at PF too. Sun Yue is the same hight and he can also play very well at SF. So, we would have a group of very versatile players, who can change their spots on the court at any time.
fandango

Postby sleepin4matty on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:51 am

Anything going on here? Haven't heard anything for a week or so now.
sleepin4matty

Postby LakersFan1211 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:55 am

I thought this thread was dead couple days ago.
LakersFan1211

Postby mattnz on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:14 pm

anyone got any news on this at all?
mattnz

Postby emplay on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:16 pm

hawks are still stalemated with Smith - nothing new - I don't expect anything really
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby kobeskater9 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:22 pm

emplay wrote:hawks are still stalemated with Smith - nothing new - I don't expect anything really

same here
kobeskater9

Location: Hangin with Smart Alex drooling over megan fox pics

Postby dvdrdiscs on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:06 pm

is there a deadline for when josh smith has to sign his qualifying offer by?
dvdrdiscs

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:30 pm

dvdrdiscs wrote:is there a deadline for when josh smith has to sign his qualifying offer by?

I don't think so. Varejao held out with the Cavs and only signed because the Cavs matched the offer sheet he signed with the Bobcats.
Savory Griddles

Postby LakerzDQ on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:42 am

LakersN4 wrote:Ah I guess that's what happens when you try to call out L4L on stats.

You know your stuff.. lol

lol, gave up?

nah, but examine the average PER of centers vs the average PER of powerforwards. Powerforwards have higher PERs.

you also have to take into consideration who Gasol was playing next to, while playing the C and PF positions. if you can find that out, maybe we can reach a more accurate conclusion.

Pau just needs to work on moving his feet a bit faster, so Bynum has time to come over and help.
LakerzDQ

That is right.

Postby fandango on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:50 pm

[quote="therealdeal"]That makes sense

and everyone says that LO has no jumper and Josh Smith has no jumper but they both have the ability to get to the basket, thats where their offense is, the only difference would be that LO finishes with layups when Josh Smith finishes with monster dunks.

overall, i want to keep LO, but if there was a trade id love this one. if there was a way to get rid of mihm in the process itd be even better.

but i highly HIGHLY doubt that the lakers do this.

like 99.9%[/quote]

The chances are exactly 00.1% for Lakers GM to do this or any other trade.
No mater how many pages of trade ideas we write here, at the end of the day, he is the one, who decides this things. And, as alaways, he is very passive and inactive.
Ron Artest is gone. Luol Deng is gone. Josh Childress is gone. Andre Iguodala will most likely get the new contract offer from his team. The only one, who can be a valuable piece for us is Josh Smith. He is still available. But, there is no any indication from our front office of any interest in him.
It is a matter of week or so. Josh will accept a bigger deal with any of the European gigants in Italy, Spain, Greece or Russia.
This is it Lakers fans. You have to understand the reality. And the reality is that we have so many scrap pieces in the roster - L.Walton, V.Radmanovic, Ch. Mihm. Nobody wants to take them. They don'r have any value at all, not to mention, their long and overpaid contracts. All of that makes any trade posibility a science fiction. But, ... a GM like Jerry West would find a way to go through this and stil make a deal or two. It is too bad, M.Kupchak didn't learn anything from his mentor.
fandango

Postby emplay on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:52 pm

that last post is laughable - sorry - just is
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Money23 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:27 pm

so any new rumor deals emplay
Money23

Postby last stand on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:38 pm

its pretty obvious lamar is going nowhere until december

and if he plays well there is no reason to trade him

but if hes gone it will be in the december area because if healthy by then they would have seen enough of the

kobe
lamar
pau
bynum

foresome to have a pretty settled opinion
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby emplay on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 am

There really haven't been any serious rumors this summer - other than LA having "interest" in a player or two - but nothing to the point of actually close to a deal or anything - far from it.
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby cthroatgtr on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:52 am

emplay wrote:There really haven't been any serious rumors this summer - other than LA having "interest" in a player or two - but nothing to the point of actually close to a deal or anything - far from it.

Quietest summer in years. Are they even trying? There needs to be at least one backup PF on the bench (Mihm doesn't count) and a 5th guard. The team is still way overloaded with SF and tweeners.
cthroatgtr

Postby emplay on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:55 am

no they're not trying - they've already forfeit next season

the roster they have may already be enough to win it all.

Odom is the back up power forward in addition to being the starting three - that's an asset - not a liability.

yes they could use another body - but it's hard to find the right guy who is good enough to help - but willing to come to a team where he'll play maybe 5 mpg.
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 am

I thought that Phil said that we needed some aggressive players to win? What happened to pursuing an aggressive sf?
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors