Jackson talks up Bosh

Postby KOBE1KAMOTE on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:43 am

Jackson talks up Bosh
Says Raptor could be a fit for Lakers
Remarks likely not

Dec. 8, 2005. 05:22 AM
JIM BYERS
SPORTS REPORTER

As much as they want to win simply for pride, the Toronto Raptors know they need to win to convince star forward Chris Bosh to scribble his initials on a contract extension next summer. But it could become harder to do that if guys like Phil Jackson have their way.

Jackson, the veteran coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, told reporters yesterday that his team should have room to hire a couple of free agents next season. And when he was asked about who might be on his list, he mentioned the Raptors' rising star.

"Well ... the players that were franchise-changing players you know re-signed up or re-upped with their organizations. There are some that will be available in the year following that you obviously have to take a look at, and this kid here is one of them. Chris Bosh, obviously everybody's going to be interested in and we think he's become quite a talent."

It was almost certainly not a case of official NBA tampering, but Jackson's comments caused the Raptors' front office to snap to attention. This is a team that's selling hope and the last thing they need is someone planting the idea of a Bosh retreat in the minds of fans. They also don't want Bosh daydreaming about playing under Jackson in a place where endorsement money is as plentiful as sunshine and seductive Hollywood starlets.

One Raptors official called Jackson's comments "unbelievable."

"If someone asks our coach about a guy and he says, `He's a great player,' that's fine. But if he says, `He's a great player and he'd look great in a Toronto uniform,' that's tampering."

Jackson didn't say he wanted to lure Bosh to the purple and gold. But he did freely mention his name as someone his team — and others — might covet.

"I know the league takes this sort of thing very seriously," Raptors GM Rob Babcock said. "But I haven't seen the comment, so there's not much I can say."

An NBA official said the league's constitution says players or coaches or other officials "may not directly or indirectly entice or induce or persuade or attempt to entice, induce or persuade" a player under contract to join another team.

"I'm sure the lawyers will look at what he (Jackson) said, but it doesn't sound that bad," the NBA official said.

Bosh, before last night's game, downplayed Jackson's remark as "just one coach's assessment of the future."

"You always know there's other places to play. But if you're happy and content with where you're playing as of the moment, you don't have to worry about that."
KOBE1KAMOTE

Postby KB24 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:59 am

Bosh´s quote sound anything but honest :man9:
Who wouldn´t want to be a Laker? seriously.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby KOBE1KAMOTE on Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:07 pm

PJ is the freekin Sith Lord. LOL!!! f'n Chancellor Jacksotine... hahaha... he's got it all planned out... delicately pulling the strings to lure Bosh to the Lake Show. I love it.

Also... The Bosh deal sounds more realistic and within reach than some playstation KG trade. Props to good ol' Phil on opening up the doors to temptation... i swear bro... as soon as his coaching days are all said and done, PJ should become Lakers GM.
KOBE1KAMOTE

Postby LakersCourt on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:49 pm

I love Bosh, but can we just give Kwame a little more time. I say we re-evaluate him at the END OF THE SEASON.

LeBron James is my #1 choice....would be perfect on the Lakers. :jam2:

Followed in second by Chris Bosh :jam2:
LakersCourt

Postby bleed purple n gold on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:20 pm

BOSH TO LA!!! :jam2: :jam2:

…You take a player getting over 10mill a year and I will make him look like he deserves 2 mill. -Ron Artest
bleed purple n gold

Postby LakersCourt on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:42 pm

Is it even realistic to think ofa lineup of

Smush Parker
Kobe Bryant
Lamar Odom
Chris Bosh
Chris Mihm

Won't Parker be gone by then, since we won't have the money to pay him?

I'd rather have this starting 5:

PG-LeBron James(When will people understand he is not a freakin' SF. Paul Silas understood this)
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF-Lamar Odom
PF-Kwame Brown
C-Andrew Bynum

:man4: :man4: :man4:
LakersCourt

Postby KOBE1KAMOTE on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am

Yea... I can really picture that first starting lineup... besides... as much as I like King James... Smush is more affordable... hahaha...

You know... I'm also curious to see Ronny Turiaf come back... this guy's a MONSTER on the boards. Whether he's starting or coming of the bench... He's definitely one of the guys I'm anticipating to make a huge impact on our squad.
KOBE1KAMOTE

Postby sleepin4matty on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:31 pm

Sad to say I'm really not sure if Turiaf is really going to make that big of a difference on the stat sheet. I do think he will be like a Mark Madsen type player with athleticism. This kid has heart (haha) and he will play hard every minute he gets. I loved watching him playing for the Zags and he is a monster on the boards. I'm just trying not to get my hopes up too high for the guy.
sleepin4matty

Thoughts on Turiaf

Postby magicsson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:35 pm

I had no real special investment in seeing Ronny succeed, other than him being a Lakers draft pick and being from Gonzaga, a pretty sweet college program, but watching him in the SPL you get the sense that this guy really enjoys the game of basketball and has broader skills than you might be aware of.

He is NOT a scorer but he seemed to me to be a Dennis Rodman-type but with better team effort. He'll give you the occasional bucket but I can see him outrebounding guys two to three inches taller than him because he has high energy and he goes after every ball.

He's sort of the anti-Kwame. Kind of appropriate that he might come back at the same time that Kwame does.
magicsson

Postby sleepin4matty on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:29 pm

Magicsson thats pretty much what i was saying. i really like him too and hes the anti kwame, loves the game of basketball and tries really hard but doesnt have the athletic gifting that kwame has.
sleepin4matty

Postby Sirron on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:33 pm

Maybe those are the comments that Kwame was upset about . :man1:

Just like Kobe might be tweaked if he dropped comments about DWade.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby lakaboy42 on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:46 pm

maybe a sign and trade in 2006, him for kwame? if kwame puts up 13 or 14 pts. a game this year or next than i can see that happening
Out
Shaquille O'neal

In
Lamar Odom
Jordan Farmar
Pau Gasol
lakaboy42

Postby wavy on Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:10 am

i would love to have Bosh on our team. he is tall and athletic i think he would ber a better addition then kwame. i surely hope we get him.
wavy

Postby Camilo on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:36 am

Yea Phil got fined 25,000 dollars for saying that about him!i Love it :mhihi:

But anyway BOSH TO L.A
Camilo

Postby Sharpshooter on Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:24 pm

why is against nba policy for coaches to express interest in a player publicly?
Sharpshooter

Postby Savage1 on Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:46 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:why is against nba policy for coaches to express interest in a player publicly?

It's tampering with a player of another team that is under contract with that team. When Bosh hears the comments made by Jackson, in theory, he can decline any option or contract that the Raptors offer him, because he knows that the Lakers have strong interest in him. It's really not fair for a team that may be viewed as being desireable to talk about how much they like a player on a struggling team because it plants seeds in their minds that that player is going to leave.
Savage1

Postby In The Key on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:15 am

Savage1 wrote:
Sharpshooter wrote:why is against nba policy for coaches to express interest in a player publicly?

It's tampering with a player of another team that is under contract with that team. When Bosh hears the comments made by Jackson, in theory, he can decline any option or contract that the Raptors offer him, because he knows that the Lakers have strong interest in him. It's really not fair for a team that may be viewed as being desireable to talk about how much they like a player on a struggling team because it plants seeds in their minds that that player is going to leave.

Exactly, you know how teams always have to ask "permission" to talk with a coach and such on another team. I think we did it with Rudy T.

Official "LA Lakers will defeat Phoenix in Round One" Club. PM to join.

MoneyMike...KrazyIvan909...nameant...Massacre_184...magicmoment...KoBeXo8...Bballgirl85...Sharpshooter...Nezter...anyone else believe?
In The Key

Return to Sourced Rumors