Lakers interested in Antonio Daniels

Postby Noodlestyle on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:15 pm

I didn't know Antonio Daniels was 30, but anyways Antonio Daniels is the perfect compliment to Kobe in the backcourt. I honestly think with Antonio as a starter he'll do great things for this team. NOt to mention if we get both Theo and Jalen rose with the minimum. A lot of these sound too good to be true tho, but out of all those players, I'd hope we get Antonio Daniels. Theo Ratlif is nice, but Phil Jackson has done wonders without very dominant big men.
Noodlestyle

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:20 pm

Is he better for us than Arroyo if avail.

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:35 pm

Wingnut, I hate Arroyo's game. He's what I consider an "and1" player. He's always trying to be flashy, doesn't get his head in the game, and gets burned on D. I'd take AD any day o' the week.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:58 pm

What makes Antonio Daniels extremely impressive is that he plays within the team concept; he plays under control and doesn't really force the issue. Granted, he might not be the best decision maker out there, but he can run the offense fairly well, gets assists and rarely turning the ball over, and he has the tools to score too. Not too known for his shooting, but he's serviceable in his mid-range J and he can get to the line. Has the famous "Statue of Liberty" Dunks also which is also another nice asset to have, and of course his height and his defense are pluses. I think he's been quite underrated, he averaged 11 points and 4 assists off the bench for Seattle last year, and I think he can thrive under the Triangle. He has the athleticism and talent to help us and he can fit under our concept. I've been interested in his game for the past couple of years and that still hasn't changed yet.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:47 am

rydjorker121 wrote:What makes Antonio Daniels extremely impressive is that he plays within the team concept; he plays under control and doesn't really force the issue. Granted, he might not be the best decision maker out there, but he can run the offense fairly well, gets assists and rarely turning the ball over, and he has the tools to score too. Not too known for his shooting, but he's serviceable in his mid-range J and he can get to the line. Has the famous "Statue of Liberty" Dunks also which is also another nice asset to have, and of course his height and his defense are pluses. I think he's been quite underrated, he averaged 11 points and 4 assists off the bench for Seattle last year, and I think he can thrive under the Triangle. He has the athleticism and talent to help us and he can fit under our concept. I've been interested in his game for the past couple of years and that still hasn't changed yet.
:bow:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Funkee on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:53 am

^ Do you really have to :bow: all the time?

Anywayz, I'd love the Lakers to get Daniels.

Not only is he a great defender who's 100 times better on the defense than Sasha, Chucky and Tierre all combined but he's also a nice offensive player.
He is a PG, he can shoot and he's very servicabe at anything.

He'd be a great, great fit here.

Now, he is 30 but to me, he doesn't look like a guy who"ll be over the hill any time soon.
He always took good care of his body, was always in great shape and I can see him playing on the same level for another 4 years.

Some people assume he'd go to Cavs because he's from Ohio but I have a different theory.

If anyone should know how DAMN GOOD Kobe actually is, it's Daniels.
Remember Lakers vs Spurs in 2002? Kobe averaged 37 ppg against Daniels and any other defender than the Spurs had on him.

I am sure Daniels respects Kobe's game, now hopefully he respects him off the court too.

Come to LA, Antonio.

Daniels
Kobe
Odom
JJ
Turiaf
Mihm
Bynum

Hell yeah, now we're talking about athleticism and 2 way players.

Certainly a very good start.
Funkee

Postby BrianCook_The_Laker on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:37 am

Daniels first target for rebuilding Lakers

Antonio Daniels, someone the Lakers and Coach Phil Jackson envision as a more athletic version of guards Ron Harper and Brian Shaw from past years, has been identified as a primary focus of the club's free-agent search.

It's unclear whether Daniels, 30, will reciprocate that interest in the end, though. Daniels might wind up with a more lucrative offer from the Cleveland Cavaliers, who unlike the Lakers have abundant salary-cap space. He also has suggested he might re-sign with the Seattle SuperSonics.

Daniels isn't a great shooter, but is an outstanding defender. Even at 6-foot-4, 205 pounds, he has the quickness to stay with smaller point guards, a longstanding problem for the Lakers. Daniels, part of San Antonio's 1999 NBA championship team, finished second in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio last season and averaged 11.2 points and 4.1 assists.

Daniels made $2.2million last season and was due another $2.2million for another season, but he just opted out of his contract. At the least, Daniels should receive some team's full mid-level salary-cap exception worth around $5 million - which is what the Lakers have to offer.
BrianCook_The_Laker

Antonio Daniels

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:05 pm

Daniels would be a great addition but over payed grant is takin up all the cap room, the only hope to get daniels is if grant doesn't exercise his option & leaves.

Postby Sirron on Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:20 pm

Now, he is 30 but to me, he doesn't look like a guy who"ll be over the hill any time soon.
He always took good care of his body, was always in great shape and I can see him playing on the same level for another 4 years
\

Agreed. He has low miles on him.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Re: Antonio Daniels

Postby LakersCourt on Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:15 pm

Shaq-HaTA wrote:Daniels would be a great addition but over payed grant is takin up all the cap room, the only hope to get daniels is if grant doesn't exercise his option & leaves.

It would be nice, wouldn't it. But honestly, if you were the second highest paid player on the Lakers, playing very little minutes, and made 14 million a year, would you really walk away from that? I know I wouldn't. I'm sure you wouldn't as well.
LakersCourt

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:30 pm

We'd still be at cap with less trade bait.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LakersChamps04 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:16 pm

BrianCook_The_Laker wrote:Image

we gotta sign him...hes even got bigger hands than kobe
LakersChamps04

Postby plennt on Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:19 pm

plennt is toying around with the idea of a sign and trade? :man3:
plennt

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:40 pm

IF THE LAKERS REALLY WANT DANIELS THEY WILL TRY & DEAL GRANT OVER TO SEATTLE IN A SIGN & TRADE DEAL.

Postby whats golden on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:53 pm

plennt wrote:plennt is toying around with the idea of a sign and trade? :man3:

what sort of sign and trade does plennt have in mind?

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby mulisha on Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:18 pm

There won't be a sign and trade because AD is not a restricted free agent. I have a good feeling he will sign with the Lakers though.
mulisha

Postby Sirron on Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:10 pm

You don't have to be a restricted FA to do a sign and trade.....
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby mulisha on Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:12 pm

sirronstuff wrote:You don't have to be a restricted FA to do a sign and trade.....

I know, but that is when most sign and trade deals happen.
mulisha

Postby Funkee on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:06 am

That's it.....I must join your fan club!!!
emplay wrote:I'll save the Odom speculation for later - but yes I think that we may be looking at the very early stages of Odom on the trade block.

:jam2:

Stephon Marbury of the cl.com. The self proclaimed best CL poster :jam2:
Funkee

Re: REPLY

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:51 am

Shaq-HaTA wrote:IF THE LAKERS REALLY WANT DANIELS THEY WILL TRY & DEAL GRANT OVER TO SEATTLE IN A SIGN & TRADE DEAL.

:man3: Grant earns 3 times of what Daniels would get.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Ed Guru on Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 am

Daniels would be a great pick-up but I don't think he'll come here - not the club, just the money! Grant you can't see going anywhere right now, suggest we're saddled with him for another year.

Still say we'd be better going for someone big to bolster the team. I don't think Chucky will start next year anyway - he's going to move back into being a role player - a shooting spark off the bench. Once he comes in and nails triples at key points before going off again we'll all start to love him, he's just poor defensively.

Sign and trade would be even more wishful thinking - in a year's time they'll take Grant because he'll retire and free up space but now, no chance!

Hell, we were poor defensively. In short Daniels would be good, but we probably won't get him. Spend your MLE on a power forward so Odom can play SF.
..with the sharpness..
Ed Guru

Postby LakersCourt on Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:55 pm

IN a perfect world, we get Antonio Daniels for the Mid-level., and Kwame Brown Via a trade, both of whom would fit the Triangle Offense very well. I say we first sign Daniels, get Jay Williams into our SPL and see what he can do, and make a trade for Kwame. I am telling you right now, this kid has the best basketball body, and with a new atmosphere, and away from Jordan's shadow(who treated Kwame like such a piece of trash) :disagree: , this kid is going to flourish. He doesn't want to be there, and his heart isn't into it. If he comes here, I predict he will be a Monster on the glass for us.

Mitch if you bring Kwame here(I would rather him than Boozer), get Antonio Daniels here for the MLE and bring Jay Williams into our SPL camp, you deserve GM of the year right there, and I promise I will never say one bad thing about you ever again.

Mitch.... Caron for Kwame.....DO IT MITCH!!!! :jam2:
LakersCourt

Postby MoneyMike on Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:34 pm

Funkee wrote:^ Do you really have to :bow: all the time?

Anywayz, I'd love the Lakers to get Daniels.

Not only is he a great defender who's 100 times better on the defense than Sasha, Chucky and Tierre all combined but he's also a nice offensive player.
He is a PG, he can shoot and he's very servicabe at anything.

He'd be a great, great fit here.

He always took good care of his body, was always in great shape and I can see him playing on the same level for another 4 years.

Some people assume he'd go to Cavs because he's from Ohio but I have a different theory.

If anyone should know how DAMN GOOD Kobe actually is, it's Daniels.
Remember Lakers vs Spurs in 2002? Kobe averaged 37 ppg against Daniels and any other defender than the Spurs had on him.

I am sure Daniels respects Kobe's game, now hopefully he respects him off the court too.

Come to LA, Antonio.

Daniels
Kobe
Odom
JJ
Turiaf
Mihm
Bynum

Hell yeah, now we're talking about athleticism and 2 way players.

Certainly a very good start.

now thats what we talkin about :jam2: :jam2:
MoneyMike

Postby SWOL on Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:05 pm

I CAN SMELL SOME OF WHAT THE PLENNT IS COOKIN, WHAT WOULD THE PLENNT GIVE IN RETURN?
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Previous

Return to Sourced Rumors