Lakers interested in Antonio Daniels

Lakers interested in Antonio Daniels

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:16 pm

Morning Journal: The Cavaliers will probably make a run at one of the electrifying shooting guards. But another very good point guard is needed. Antonio Daniels would be a perfect fit, but he might be leaning toward one of the Texas teams -- either Houston or Dallas. In all, eight teams have reportedly inquired about Daniels, including Cleveland, the Lakers, Memphis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Utah and Seattle.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby crucifido on Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:22 pm

I'd like to have him but good luck at getting him for the little amount of money the lakers have to offer.

If he's willing to play here so one of the LEs, than he would be a great addition.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby BDG on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:23 pm

Anything over Chucky. Hopefully we draft a good PG though like Paul/Felton so we can develop them. I hope Daniels wouldn't interfere with those plans.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby alex58 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:26 pm

Daniels will be a very important piece if we can get him. He distrbutes the ball so good and his defense is great. I think by adding him we can solve the issue of the back court, and then we can draft a young PG .
Magic , the only way to bring back the go0d old days.
alex58

Postby trodgers on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:27 pm

Nice. This is the first "real" connection between the Lakers and AD I've heard. I hope it happens...and I don't see AD being a stumbling block to developing a PG. Daniels might play 30 minutes a game, 35 at most...and he's already 30? Would love to get him for the MLE.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby KB24 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:46 pm

:jam2: He is the best FA available. Better than Watson, Jaric (who sucks), McInnis and the rest.
I really appreciate a Daniels signing. He is not the youngest but he could keep the spot untill (Paul or Felton :man12: *cough* pipe *cough*) can take over for extended minutes.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Smallz on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:49 pm

at least we know mitch is on the right track.
Smallz

Postby SWOL on Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:59 pm

DEPENDS ON THE DRAFT, IF WE DRAFT ONE OF THE TOP 3 PG's, THEN ID SAY SEND THE MLE ON A BIG, IF NOT, LOOK AT DANIELS, EARL WATSON, DUHON, OR MARCO JARIC
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby trodgers on Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:23 pm

swolswol wrote:DEPENDS ON THE DRAFT, IF WE DRAFT ONE OF THE TOP 3 PG's, THEN ID SAY SEND THE MLE ON A BIG, IF NOT, LOOK AT DANIELS, EARL WATSON, DUHON, OR MARCO JARIC

I don't know, man. I think the bigs available for MLE are still pretty much crap. AD would be nice to have as a starter to break in a new PG.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby UKUGA on Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:51 pm

Pure speculation here, but:

If we do sing P-Jax, and make a splash with draft picks and related trades (some or all of the stuff discussed here), then it is not unthinkable
that AD would be willing to a take a little less to play with the Lakers.

$5 mil (if that remains the amount) is not chump change, especially if it puts you in position to win over the next few years.

But, if the MLE does drop, then I'd say, "no chance" at getting AD.
UKUGA

Postby Lakers1 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:24 pm

no daniels he like 29,hell no we need a big man in the free agency and a point guard in the draft.
okay wrote:I would throw Shaq in the fire as well. Maybe he could burn a calorie or two.

VerbalMilk wrote:
What would it take to get Joe Johnson?

Jesus.
Lakers1

Postby Still A Dynasty on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:34 pm

i think the only people who stand int he way if us getting him are cleavland, san antonio, and seattle

i think his choices would go some thing like this

1-Seattle:Obvious why
2-Cleaveland: More Mins, Lebron, money
3-San Antonio-Could be a HUGE pickup for them, returns to his old team
4-Lakers:Only place he would be a starter, great triangle fit
Still A Dynasty

Postby Lakers1 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:36 pm

I though he was going to Dallas?
okay wrote:I would throw Shaq in the fire as well. Maybe he could burn a calorie or two.

VerbalMilk wrote:
What would it take to get Joe Johnson?

Jesus.
Lakers1

Postby KB24 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:25 am

Lakers1 wrote:no daniels he like 29,hell no we need a big man in the free agency and a point guard in the draft.

29 and what? He is younger than Sucky and the right veteran for us to keep the PG we possibly draft under his belt.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby they_perch on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:23 am

i still say sign marco. he's a lot younger than antonio daniels, and he could come cheaper. we could probably split the bulk of the mle on marco jaric, and then use the remainder to sign steven hunter, hunter brings a good shotblocker w/ potential. he's athletic and will come over for some decent money and playtime. he played some solid defense on tim duncan in the WCF.
they_perch

Postby Okki on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:42 am

they_perch wrote:i still say sign marco. he's a lot younger than antonio daniels, and he could come cheaper. we could probably split the bulk of the mle on marco jaric, and then use the remainder to sign steven hunter, hunter brings a good shotblocker w/ potential. he's athletic and will come over for some decent money and playtime. he played some solid defense on tim duncan in the WCF.

GOOD POINT!
''Nobody tells me how to play my guard spot''
- Kobe Bryant
Okki

Postby KB24 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:51 am

they_perch wrote:i still say sign marco. he's a lot younger than antonio daniels, and he could come cheaper. we could probably split the bulk of the mle on marco jaric, and then use the remainder to sign steven hunter, hunter brings a good shotblocker w/ potential. he's athletic and will come over for some decent money and playtime. he played some solid defense on tim duncan in the WCF.
A lot younger? Smoked too much :man1: He is less than 2 years younger. Daniels is 5 times the defender Jaric is. Jaric is hands down a bigger choker than Wabber. He always makes the wrong desicion with the game on the brink. He can´t stay out of injury and he is UNLIKE Daniels TO prone. Daniels BARELY gets 1 TO and has a league best assist/TO ratio so don´t tell me Marco is ANYTHING close to Jaric.
Hunter and Jaric for MLE is beyond pipe anyway :man8:

KB24
Site Admin

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:53 am

good that the lakers have at least thrown their hat in the ring. daniels would be a great fit as pg in the triangle. i'm not sure he's that far-fetched of an acquisition, either. the lakers can offer him a starting job--something very few teams on that list can do. i dont' see anyone going too far over the exception to sign him, either. remember, cleveland wants to sign a big-time shooter (redd and allen top the list) and still have to figure out whether to re-up ilgauskas, which won't be cheap. also, recent rumor has it that they may make an offer to curry. all of this may leave less left over for daniels.

anyway, he should be the lakers' #1 free agent target if they decide to go the pg route, followed by jaric, imo.

if they go for pfs, reggie evans (who probably will be too pricey) or chris andersen would be decent targets.

all things considered, daniels would be my first call.
abeer3

Postby KB24 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:07 am

abeer3 wrote:good that the lakers have at least thrown their hat in the ring. daniels would be a great fit as pg in the triangle. i'm not sure he's that far-fetched of an acquisition, either. the lakers can offer him a starting job--something very few teams on that list can do. i dont' see anyone going too far over the exception to sign him, either. remember, cleveland wants to sign a big-time shooter (redd and allen top the list) and still have to figure out whether to re-up ilgauskas, which won't be cheap. also, recent rumor has it that they may make an offer to curry. all of this may leave less left over for daniels.

anyway, he should be the lakers' #1 free agent target if they decide to go the pg route, followed by jaric, imo.

if they go for pfs, reggie evans (who probably will be too pricey) or chris andersen would be decent targets.

all things considered, daniels would be my first call.

:bow:
Aome things I disagree:
1. Cleveland can use MLE on him. They have enaugh cap space for Ilgauskas and Redd so they can use the FULL MLE on Daniels who is from Ohio and would like to go there and get a starting job.
2. My PFs would be Kwame and Anderson. Evans is a very good rebounder but he has ZERO inside scoring and I would want us to have an inside-outside game and have a threat in the paint offensively. Evans is ONLY a defense player and his defense isn´t anything special so I dislike him. Kwame is a risky guy but IF the new environment, coach and players are compatibel with him watch out.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:34 am

KB8@CL wrote: :bow:
Aome things I disagree:
1. Cleveland can use MLE on him. They have enaugh cap space for Ilgauskas and Redd so they can use the FULL MLE on Daniels who is from Ohio and would like to go there and get a starting job.
2. My PFs would be Kwame and Anderson. Evans is a very good rebounder but he has ZERO inside scoring and I would want us to have an inside-outside game and have a threat in the paint offensively. Evans is ONLY a defense player and his defense isn´t anything special so I dislike him. Kwame is a risky guy but IF the new environment, coach and players are compatibel with him watch out.

1. hmmm. i'm not positive that you can be under the cap, then go over, then use the MLE. i could be wrong though. capologist in the house?

2. i think it's ok that evans doesn't need touches (or deserve them) on offense. he's kind of a poor man's rodman, which is a nice player to have on the floor with a guy like kobe. either way, it doesn't matter, as i think evans will get better offers than the MLE (not a lot better, but better).

i worry about kwame, but i'd take him. i think he too, will probably end up with more than the MLE. i think he's restricted, so if someone is going to lock him up at MLE prices, i think the wiz would be more inclined to sign and trade him than let him walk. of course, they did just boot him off the team in the middle of the playoffs, so anything's possible...
abeer3

Postby KB24 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:38 am

abeer3 wrote:
KB8@CL wrote: :bow:
Aome things I disagree:

1. hmmm. i'm not positive that you can be under the cap, then go over, then use the MLE. i could be wrong though. capologist in the house?

2. i think it's ok that evans doesn't need touches (or deserve them) on offense. he's kind of a poor man's rodman, which is a nice player to have on the floor with a guy like kobe. either way, it doesn't matter, as i think evans will get better offers than the MLE (not a lot better, but better).

i worry about kwame, but i'd take him. i think he too, will probably end up with more than the MLE. i think he's restricted, so if someone is going to lock him up at MLE prices, i think the wiz would be more inclined to sign and trade him than let him walk. of course, they did just boot him off the team in the middle of the playoffs, so anything's possible...

Yup I´m pretty sure the Wiz would want a sign and trade UNFORTUNETLY.
I guess its possible to resign Ziggy and Redd. Go over the cap and then use the MLE but I´m not sure.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby trodgers on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:57 am

Abeer, unless there's an extra wrinkle in the scenario you're discussing, that's precisely what the exceptions are designed for. The MLE and LLE can be used by every team, regardless of their cap situation. The MLE is usable every year, the LLE not in consecutive seasons. At least I'm pretty sure of those facts.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby abeer3 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:06 am

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#18

found the answer, and i think i was right.

Similarly, a team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, $1 Million, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to the team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing this, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So it is not true that being under the cap necessarily means a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $42.5 million, and a team has $36 million committed to salaries. They also have a mid-level exception for $4.5 million and a traded player exception for $5 million. Even though their salaries put them $6.5 million under the cap, their exceptions are added to their salaries, putting them at $45.5 million, or $3 million over the cap. So they actually have no cap room to sign free agents, and must instead use an exception.

Teams have the option of renouncing their exceptions in order to claim the cap room. So in the example above, if the team renounced their traded player and mid-level exceptions, then the $9.5 million is taken off their team salary, which then totals $36 million, leaving them with $6.5 million of cap room which can then be used to sign free agent(s).
abeer3

Postby LakersChamps04 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:15 am

I say Lakers sign Kwame Brown using Full MLE, and then sign Jaric using LLE...WE'LL BE SET!!!...AND we'd still keep butler, draft felton, Salim in the 2nd round, and get bender and the 17th, and maybe draft Bynum (not too sure though)
LakersChamps04

Postby GCMD on Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:50 pm

LakersChamps04 wrote:I say Lakers sign Kwame Brown using Full MLE, and then sign Jaric using LLE...WE'LL BE SET!!!...AND we'd still keep butler, draft felton, Salim in the 2nd round, and get bender and the 17th, and maybe draft Bynum (not too sure though)

Not likely...Brown will get an offer for more than the MLE...

POR will draft first in the 2nd rnd...

Likely Felton drops to 10th but MORE likely he's taken before 10th...

And Jaric would get a better offer than the LLE...

I'd like that offseason but I don't think it will happen...
Feel free to ignore anything I say...

GCMD

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors