Lakers/Kobe Interested in NATE ROBINSON?

Re: Lakers/Kobe Interested in NATE ROBINSON?

Postby Radner on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:38 pm

On RealGM, it says that the Lakers and the Kings are the frontrunners for Robinson.

I would assume that this is speculation rather than genuine interest.
Radner

Postby revgen on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:44 pm

While Nate plays with high energy, he also makes bad decisions like Farmar does. And he's older than Farmar, so it's unlikely to change.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby rebounds67 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Farmar for Nate would be a massive steal, esp. since him and Shannon could come off the bench together as the 1 and 2 (interchangeable)

i doubt New York would take it tho
rebounds67

Postby Weezy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:52 pm

Nate >>> Farmar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby rebounds67 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:56 pm

with shannon brown around now, we dont even need Farmar

I expect Fisher to have the type of role Reggie Miller did in his final years. He still starts, but gradually Shannon Brown takes on a more dominant role, until Shannon is the one closing out ball games

Fish's leadership will still be key tho
rebounds67

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Can anyone fill me in....has Nate been offered a qualifying offer yet? Cause if not, NY has till tomorrow to offer it and if they choose not to, Nate becomes a UFA. Also does anybody have info on Lee, cause he's in the same boat.

In terms of bringing Nate here, I would definitely consider it behind JKidd in terms of using our MLE towards UFAs. However, if Nate is offered a QO by NY, then trading just Farmar won't be enough under the CBA 125% rule. We would have to attach something else and I'm sure if we move for Nate, then we would want to get him with an extension attached. He would count as a BYC player then and his annual would be counted as half in a trade, but still a trade involving Farmar's ~2M still wouldn't get it done. Someone else would have to come along.

Another deadline that expires tomorrow is Sasha's contract regarded as BYC. Right now his value in a trade is half what his contract stipulates (~2.3M), but come July 1st and he's worth 5M. So he's no longer a PPP (poison pill player) and teams will be more accommodating in deals that include Sasha.

So if Nate becomes UFA, I still go with Kidd as a preference over him. In a trade, I feel we shouldn't pull. We can get better valued players for Farmar/Morrison and maybe even Sasha.

What I think folks need to understand however is that the triangle has all positions/roles interchangeable. So even though Nate isn't a traditional PG and more like an undersized SG, he still will be valuable as a wing player while we have Kobe, LO, Luke, or anybody else on the floor that can handle the ball and create for others playing the guard role. The great thing with Nate on the wing is that, he can slash and finish with highlight dunks and can also shoot the perimeter/3ball effectively. It really makes him dangerous out there.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Weezy wrote:Nate >>> Farmar

Nate = Farmar

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby TwntyFour on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Why don't we bring in Smush Parker? He's cheap, a solid contributor, great defender. Perfect for this team, IMO.

got ya' :man12:
TwntyFour

Postby Helljumper on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Nate's a freakin' stud. This would be amazing. I know his stats might be inflated due to playing on a weak Knicks team run by D'antoni but he can ball. He's way better than Farmar and would be the true successor to Fisher. He could be the backup for a year to learn the triangle and provide even more of a spark off the bench and then transition into the starting line up.

I'm pretty sure the article is suggesting this would be a sign and trade. If it would be something like Farmar and Ammo for him, there is no way we should turn that down.
Helljumper

Postby hellangel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:55 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Can anyone fill me in....has Nate been offered a qualifying offer yet? Cause if not, NY has till tomorrow to offer it and if they choose not to, Nate becomes a UFA. Also does anybody have info on Lee, cause he's in the same boat.

he's a RFA right now. But new york may trade him for rookie contracts or just let him go since they have 10' plans
hellangel

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Farmar + Ammo for Nate S&T.. would be a great deal for both teams imo..
LakersN4

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:18 pm

I like NAte and i like J-Kidd, however, I really don't see us getting either of them. I could be wrong, but I don't see our roster changing at ALL this offseason, which really isn't a bad thing.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby juninho on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Our biggest weakness is playing against fast pgs like aaron brooks. So we should get fast pgs to defend them. Nate will be a great choice.
juninho

Postby LO7cK35 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:30 pm

revgen wrote:

Nate = Farmar

Farmar > Nate
LO7cK35

Postby Weezy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:32 pm

revgen wrote:

Nate = Farmar

It's just my opinion. Nate isn't a superstar or anything, but he's quicker than Farmar, he's a better scorer, he just seems more talented to me.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:34 pm

hellangel wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:Can anyone fill me in....has Nate been offered a qualifying offer yet? Cause if not, NY has till tomorrow to offer it and if they choose not to, Nate becomes a UFA. Also does anybody have info on Lee, cause he's in the same boat.

he's a RFA right now. But new york may trade him for rookie contracts or just let him go since they have 10' plans

Thanks for answering.

Even with a S&T though, Nate would be considered BYC...and lets say Nate gets an MLE amount type salary, that barely makes a one for one with Farmar's contract illegal. Josh Powell's contract becomes partially guaranteed after July 1st, while DJ is fully unguaranteed this entire next season, so either one of their $1M contracts can be thrown in along with Farmar to make the deal work...but that's only if we want Nate at the MLE amount in the first place.

Knicks have 2010 friendly Ks and can even waive DJ and Powell, with minimum to no cost lost in the process.
Meanwhile LA addresses our guard rotation. Nate just turned 25 and isn't a bad look for our uptempo game. Phil has encouraged that style in deviations to the triangle and we know Buss loves that style as well.

With Nate coming off the bench with possibly Lamar and Luke as ballhandlers, our uptempo game should look really good.

However, if a choice exists, I still would like a short-leased Kidd over long-term committed Nate at this point.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:36 pm

nate actually has a big chance of happening if you look at how it would have to happen

it would have to be through sign and trade. and we have 2 extremely good 2010 friendly contracts that would fit d'antonis system

a package of farmar and adam morrison gives them roughly 6 million expiring so they sign nate robinson to about 5 million a year maybe a little more and we could grab him

this wouldn't affect lamar and ariza at all and would make our 2nd string backcourt with shannon and nate extremely athletic. nate has passion he plays both ends of the floor with passion. hes not the most skilled player offensively or defensively but he has the heart of a lion

he would be a great addition
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby GNC on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Weezy wrote:
revgen wrote:

Nate = Farmar

It's just my opinion. Nate isn't a superstar or anything, but he's quicker than Farmar, he's a better scorer, he just seems more talented to me.

whoa whoa whoa.

nate>> farmar.

farmar is not close to nate right now imo.
GNC

Postby revgen on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Weezy wrote:
revgen wrote:

Nate = Farmar

He's also a horrible decision-maker. Just like Farmar. And in addition to that, he's small and can't defend bigger guards, just like Farmar.

The worst part is that he's 25. Jordan is 22, so at least we can blame immaturity for Farmar's bad decisions. Nate is getting too old for it.

Nate's shooting percentage is 43%. That's horrible. I don't care is he is making 17ppg. His FG% is low and has been low his whole career because his decision-making and shot-selection hasn't improved. If he hasn't figured it out by now, then he's never going to get it.
Last edited by revgen on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:55 pm

Last stand: Nate would be considered BYC in a S&T. So lets say he signs for around the MLE amount ($5.7M) then his trading value will be half of that OR the value of the final year of his expiring contract (2.9M)....whatever is larger. In all probability, its going to be around 3M.

Farmar's contract is valued at just under 2M, so around a 1M or so will have to be included in the deal to make it work. If Morrison is involved, then the Lakers will have roughly 7M outgoing, while NY will be sending roughly 3M.....so that doesn't work. Someone else would have to be attached to Nate in that case.

That's why its more likely that Farmar and either DJ or Powell (with their 1M contracts) are packaged together to get Nate. Then Elonu gets the nod to fill in our frontcourt vacancy.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LO7cK35 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:59 pm

aansari wrote:whoa whoa whoa.

nate>> farmar.

After the lakers i watch the knicks more than any other team, and if you guys think jordan is a horrible decision maker wait until you see this guy play. His Ego is on brandon jennings status and does whatever he wants on the court. He is quick but sometimes to quick for himself and misses easy shots. He has a decent outside shot but so does farmar, If farmar played more minutes He would easily outshine nate. Also the guy is so small that many times the opposing team just backs him into the post consistently. And this is all without mentioning his huge attitude problem.
LO7cK35

Postby last stand on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Last stand: Nate would be considered BYC in a S&T. So lets say he signs for around the MLE amount ($5.7M) then his trading value will be half of that OR the value of the final year of his expiring contract (2.9M)....whatever is larger. In all probability, its going to be around 3M.

Farmar's contract is valued at just under 2M, so around a 1M or so will have to be included in the deal to make it work. If Morrison is involved, then the Lakers will have roughly 7M outgoing, while NY will be sending roughly 3M.....so that doesn't work. Someone else would have to be attached to Nate in that case.

That's why its more likely that Farmar and either DJ or Powell (with their 1M contracts) are packaged together to get Nate. Then Elonu gets the nod to fill in our frontcourt vacancy.

ok i guess

if it meant getting nate i think i could deal with losing Mbenga especially when from all accounts Elonu is the same type of player just younger

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby revgen on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:02 pm

LO7cK35 wrote:
aansari wrote:whoa whoa whoa.

nate>> farmar.

After the lakers i watch the knicks more than any other team, and if you guys think jordan is a horrible decision maker wait until you see this guy play. His Ego is on brandon jennings status and does whatever he wants on the court. He is quick but sometimes to quick for himself and misses easy shots. He has a decent outside shot but so does farmar, If farmar played more minutes He would easily outshine nate. Also the guy is so small that many times the opposing team just backs him into the post consistently. And this is all without mentioning his huge attitude problem.

Thank You.

revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby hellangel on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
hellangel wrote:

Thanks for answering.

Even with a S&T though, Nate would be considered BYC...and lets say Nate gets an MLE amount type salary, that barely makes a one for one with Farmar's contract illegal. Josh Powell's contract becomes partially guaranteed after July 1st, while DJ is fully unguaranteed this entire next season, so either one of their $1M contracts can be thrown in along with Farmar to make the deal work...but that's only if we want Nate at the MLE amount in the first place.

Knicks have 2010 friendly Ks and can even waive DJ and Powell, with minimum to no cost lost in the process.
Meanwhile LA addresses our guard rotation. Nate just turned 25 and isn't a bad look for our uptempo game. Phil has encouraged that style in deviations to the triangle and we know Buss loves that style as well.

With Nate coming off the bench with possibly Lamar and Luke as ballhandlers, our uptempo game should look really good.

However, if a choice exists, I still would like a short-leased Kidd over long-term committed Nate at this point.

BYC is not so hard to be traded if we get a third team to use minor cap spaces

But I agree with you. I dont like nate, especially his height. phil doesnt like undersized PG either. Mo Williams may shoot in front of him a thousand times a game, and he's not a smart basketball player off the screen
hellangel

Postby last stand on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:09 pm

if mitch decides nate is a better fit than farmar then we make the deal if not we don't simple as that

i trust mitch and phil

none of us have any way of knowing his potential on this team

farmar has had a luxury nate hasn't had. he plays next to kobe, gasol, odom, bynum, ariza meaning his open shots and people to pass to are far superior to nate robinson

nate is the guy on his team so while his points may be inflated because of that his FG% and decision making are deflated because he has to play out of role as the #1 or #2 option

here he would be a spot up shooter and penetrator with the second unit. would he succeed in that role over farmar we have no way of knowing

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand