Lakers making "serious inquiries" about Nate Robinson

Lakers making "serious inquiries" about Nate Robinson

Postby methodxs on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:43 pm

The Lakers and Magic have both made "serious inquiries" about Knicks' restricted free agent Nate Robinson.
The Trail Blazers and Bulls are also said to be interested in Nate, and the Knicks might decide to keep him if they don't land another PG (i.e. Jason Kidd, Ramon Sessions) via free agency. According to the NY Post, "There's been talk of him (Robinson) accepting the Knicks' one-year qualifying offer."

Source: New York Post

I don't get how they are pursuing Nate when we still have to re-sign Odom. If we do sign Nate then that means Odom will be gone. I'm definitely not for it :disagree:
methodxs

Re: Lakers making "serious inquiries" about Nate Robinson

Postby kray28 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:45 pm

It's the NY Post. Enuff said.
kray28

Postby TIME on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:51 pm

kray28 wrote:It's the NY Post. Enuff said.

I don't doubt the Lakers would like to add one upgrade at guard if they can, but 3 foot tall Nate? Really? In PJ's system it's not impossible but not the most likely scenario.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:54 pm

For some reason, Phil likes him.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby methodxs on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:55 pm

and its not like we haven't pursued robinson before
methodxs

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:01 pm

Laugh.
1. It's the NY post.
2. They just happened to use both of the teams from the Finals first thing? No. It's a ploy to get readers.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:04 pm

highly doubt its true
the lakers first priority right now is to resign odom
432J

Postby Sean on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Was it vescey? If so, then it's exactly the opposite story
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby Helljumper on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm pretty sure the Lakers are looking at a sign and trade. There's no way we'd even be able to offer him much money and if he took the money that we could offer him (which is extremely unlikely) we'd still have plenty of cash for LO.
Helljumper

Postby Crispy on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Highly doubt we get him.
Crispy

Postby Helljumper on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Crispy wrote:Highly doubt we get him.

Same here. If we're hearing rumors about it right now, there's probably no chance anymore.
Helljumper

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Well if it is a S&T, then Nate becomes BYC and that will half his trade value. So essentially if he makes about 4M in his 1st year of his extension, his trade value would be 2M.

If Nate accepts the QO, he will be a UFA next season, so maybe NY is thinking they want more leverage/control of personnel next summer in order to make their team more appealing to FAs.

With Farmar's contract, NY has the option of either giving him a QO next summer or giving him an extension. Either way, they won't lose Farmar as they would Nate because he would be a RFA next summer and they can weigh out their options in that manner.

Farmar makes roughly 2M this coming year and a deal for a BYC Nate can very much happen, if LA is willing to take on that cap number (which I really doubt).

If such a move endangers resigning LO, then I'm certainly not for it. But if LA is looking to add Nate and a resigned LO and the only loss would be Ariza, Farmar and money via the luxury tax, then it ain't a bad move.

Nate is a pretty decent option on the wing and he would pretty much be what Fisher is to us. A scoring guard with Kobe and Artest controlling the ball distribution. Or if Nate comes off the bench then Luke and LO control the ball more while Nate spots up and operates from the wing. He is somewhat of a chucker and isn't very efficient, but he still is a threat from deep and if he chooses to slash, we all know the slam dunk champ can finish at the rim.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby cc4sc on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:35 pm

methodxs wrote:
The Lakers and Magic have both made "serious inquiries" about Knicks' restricted free agent Nate Robinson.
The Trail Blazers and Bulls are also said to be interested in Nate, and the Knicks might decide to keep him if they don't land another PG (i.e. Jason Kidd, Ramon Sessions) via free agency. According to the NY Post, "There's been talk of him (Robinson) accepting the Knicks' one-year qualifying offer."

I don't get how they are pursuing Nate when we still have to re-sign Odom. If we do sign Nate then that means Odom will be gone. I'm definitely not for it :disagree:

Dude, relax. Re-signing LO has nothing to do with signing/trading for a PG. Give the GM some credit here. The guy multi-tasks! Hopefully, Mitch is working his magic in unloading some deadweight while gaining an exciting little (and quick) guard.

Yes, Nate is tiny and doesn't fit the traditional PJ "big guard" model. But the the guy is so quick that he can breakdown a D and get entry passes around guys (not over them). I'd love to see little Nate in P&G.
cc4sc

Postby eNlight on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:00 pm

the knicks want expiring ks to land king james. it would make sense
eNlight

Postby GNC on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:08 pm

eNlight wrote:the knicks want expiring ks to land king james. it would make sense

along the lines or morrison.
GNC

Postby blocks on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:49 pm

Ammo for Nate and Sene works if the Knicks S&T Nate to the same ~2M he made last season.
under pressure, you either bust pipes or make diamonds
blocks

Postby JediChris31 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Why the EFF would we want that showboating arrogant guy? Not a character we need on this squad. forget that.
"We have a really really strong team.. A very strong team. It smells familiar to me."

- Kobe
JediChris31

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:59 pm

do not want.
GoldHammish

Postby Helljumper on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:07 pm

Just to let you know, this deal does not make sense for the Knicks the way some of you guys are looking at it. If all New York wants is more cap space for 2010, than why wouldn't they just let Robinson's contract expire next year (assuming he takes the cheap qualifying offer they gave him right now). That way, they can keep the fan favorite Robinson to sell some more tickets and jerseys for a year and than let him go in 2010. I'm guessing we'd have to throw in a player they're actually interested in or some first round picks.
Helljumper

Postby blocks on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Helljumper wrote:Just to let you know, this deal does not make sense for the Knicks the way some of you guys are looking at it. If all New York wants is more cap space for 2010, than why wouldn't they just let Robinson's contract expire next year (assuming he takes the cheap qualifying offer they gave him right now). That way, they can keep the fan favorite Robinson to sell some more tickets and jerseys for a year and than let him go in 2010. I'm guessing we'd have to throw in a player they're actually interested in or some first round picks.

Agreed. But who knows with that FO.

If all we have to give up is Ammo and a second rounder, I'm all in. Let him fight with Farmar for minutes off the bench.
under pressure, you either bust pipes or make diamonds
blocks

Postby Helljumper on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:16 pm

blocks wrote:
Helljumper wrote:Just to let you know, this deal does not make sense for the Knicks the way some of you guys are looking at it. If all New York wants is more cap space for 2010, than why wouldn't they just let Robinson's contract expire next year (assuming he takes the cheap qualifying offer they gave him right now). That way, they can keep the fan favorite Robinson to sell some more tickets and jerseys for a year and than let him go in 2010. I'm guessing we'd have to throw in a player they're actually interested in or some first round picks.

Agreed. But who knows with that FO.

If all we have to give up is Ammo and a second rounder, I'm all in. Let him fight with Farmar for minutes off the bench.

I'd rather give up Farmar and sign Shannon. Nate will be our scoring PG off the bench that Jordan tries to be but fails at while Shannon can be brought in for defensive purposes.
Helljumper

Postby LakersN4 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:27 pm

methodxs wrote:

Actually it makes perfect sense.. If we could S&T Ammo for Nate.. We can now play hardball with Shannon & avoid giving him the LLE, which could cause us to lose Lamar.. I'd love to keep shannon & odom both.. AND trade for nate.. Then dump farmar.. But hey.. If we can add Nate & that means keeping Odom.. I'm all for it
LakersN4

Postby Shortodom on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:31 pm

I could see it now, Ron and Nate trying to kill each other in practice. both of them are too hot headed... pass, just resign LO and Shannon and we'll be good enough to repeat
“We don’t expect to win by 20 and 40, but maybe we do,” Gasol said
Shortodom

Postby BadCoaching on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Mighty midget = no thanks.

Go do your meaningless dunk freak show in tights and chuck up some meaningless baskets for another non-contending team. Stats from teams like those mean squat and he wouldn't have a chance in h e ll of putting up those numbers in L.A. dude can't defend he's too small.
BadCoaching

Postby TrixR4Kids on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:02 pm

no thanks, unless somehow we are shipping out a K (doubtful)
TrixR4Kids

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors