Lakers Name Mentioned in Ben Wallace S&T

Lakers Name Mentioned in Ben Wallace S&T

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:44 am

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... ball-print

Not sure what to make of this, nothing really specific but weird that the Lakers would come up.

MIAMI -- What a physical presence Sacramento could have under new coach Eric Musselman with Ben Wallace, Ron Artest and Bonzi Wells.

And if Avery Johnson really wants to play defense with his Dallas Mavericks, it would be a lot easier with Wallace and Josh Howard around Dirk Nowitzki.

You know George Karl in Denver would love the defensive anchor of Wallace to replace or perhaps supplement Kenyon Martin.

"The way we played this series wasn't the way we played all season," Richard Hamilton said late Friday night after the Miami Heat rode Shaquille O'Neal to its first NBA Finals appearance with a lopsided 95-78 win over the Pistons and 4-2 advantage in the Eastern Conference finals. "You go back to the drawing board, figure it out, come out next season and, hopefully, can change that."

For Miami President/coach Pat Riley, the series provided vindication for his revamping the team after the 2005 conference finals loss to the Pistons and for him stepping in to coach for Stan Van Gundy.

Miami's victory gives a chance to O'Neal to show he's still dominant as he goes for a fourth NBA title, to young star Dwyane Wade to get a first title and to veterans such as Alonzo Mourning, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, James Posey and Jason Williams to get a shot at, perhaps, their only one.

"I'll celebrate a little," said O'Neal, who was determined on both ends of the court Friday night with 28 points on 12-for-14 shooting, 16 rebounds and five blocks. "But like I told the guys, `The job is not done.'"

It's just beginning for the Pistons, who hardly are through with their run of excellence but certainly are due for some changes.

"I can't remember the last time we played defense like this," Tayshaun Prince said of the Heat shooting 55.7 percent in Game 6. Miami, however, shot 54.9 percent in Game 4, 58.2 percent in Game 3 and 56.3 percent in Game 1.

You get the idea. The Pistons were through.

It began fraying last week with players, particularly Wallace, blaming coach Flip Saunders for the defensive shortcomings, for matchup changes and personnel usage.

But they had forgotten their mirrors. It was them.

The arrogance and hubris that led them to seven games with the Cleveland Cavaliers finally exposed a team that was less than the sum of its parts.

The chemistry and selflessness that was admired in a 2004 title and seventh-game loss to the Spurs in 2005 faded in accolades for four starters with All-Star appearances. Trouble gushed open in Wallace's open defiance of Saunders when he refused to play in a March game and likely will end with the departure of Wallace, the team's symbolic leader.

Wallace is a free agent and seeking a large, long contract.

He was among a vocal majority of Pistons disturbed with Larry Brown's tenure, angry because he sought another job while seeming to take the credit for the Pistons' success, tired of his demanding way.

Even owner Bill Davidson, in pushing out Brown, said there was too much Brown and not enough Pistons. The light, guiding hand of Saunders was the prescription.

Then there was the flip side that Saunders didn't push hard enough.

You can't have it both ways. General manager Joe Dumars ceded to the players' wishes to trust them to be responsible. They won a league-high 64 games, then left their game in the regular season.

Now he will make changes.

Wallace has been described as the Pistons' heart and foundation. But at 32, even with another Defensive Player of the Year award, his skills are eroding. Moving him would signal a major change without a substantial breakup.

There's no way the Pistons want to see him in the East and there figure to be many takers in a sign-and-trade, unless the Bulls want to take a shot with a big-money offer.

It's more likely, however, Wallace moves west and the Pistons get a big man, perhaps for Brad Miller of the Kings or Erick Dampier of the Mavs. You figure the Lakers and Grizzlies would try to offer packages since it seems Wallace, too, needs a new start.

Dumars has proven a bold executive and this run all started when the Pistons traded Grant Hill.

Detroit can come back.

"I've been here four years," Hamilton said. "Chauncey [Billups] has been here four years, Tayshaun has been here four years and Rasheed [Wallace] three.

"What we've accomplished in four years is four Eastern Conference finals, a championship and another trip to the NBA Finals.

"The sky is the limit."

Doesnt this Sam Smith character have a history of crazy articles though? I cant remember if thats him.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Re: Lakers Name Mentioned in Ben Wallace S&T

Postby flexxdzl on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:43 am

Da Veinticuatro wrote:http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/cs-0606040240jun04,1,5154340.column?coll=cs-basketball-print

Not sure what to make of this, nothing really specific but weird that the Lakers would come up.

MIAMI -- What a physical presence Sacramento could have under new coach Eric Musselman with Ben Wallace, Ron Artest and Bonzi Wells.

And if Avery Johnson really wants to play defense with his Dallas Mavericks, it would be a lot easier with Wallace and Josh Howard around Dirk Nowitzki.

You know George Karl in Denver would love the defensive anchor of Wallace to replace or perhaps supplement Kenyon Martin.

"The way we played this series wasn't the way we played all season," Richard Hamilton said late Friday night after the Miami Heat rode Shaquille O'Neal to its first NBA Finals appearance with a lopsided 95-78 win over the Pistons and 4-2 advantage in the Eastern Conference finals. "You go back to the drawing board, figure it out, come out next season and, hopefully, can change that."

For Miami President/coach Pat Riley, the series provided vindication for his revamping the team after the 2005 conference finals loss to the Pistons and for him stepping in to coach for Stan Van Gundy.

Miami's victory gives a chance to O'Neal to show he's still dominant as he goes for a fourth NBA title, to young star Dwyane Wade to get a first title and to veterans such as Alonzo Mourning, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, James Posey and Jason Williams to get a shot at, perhaps, their only one.

"I'll celebrate a little," said O'Neal, who was determined on both ends of the court Friday night with 28 points on 12-for-14 shooting, 16 rebounds and five blocks. "But like I told the guys, `The job is not done.'"

It's just beginning for the Pistons, who hardly are through with their run of excellence but certainly are due for some changes.

"I can't remember the last time we played defense like this," Tayshaun Prince said of the Heat shooting 55.7 percent in Game 6. Miami, however, shot 54.9 percent in Game 4, 58.2 percent in Game 3 and 56.3 percent in Game 1.

It began fraying last week with players, particularly Wallace, blaming coach Flip Saunders for the defensive shortcomings, for matchup changes and personnel usage.

The arrogance and hubris that led them to seven games with the Cleveland Cavaliers finally exposed a team that was less than the sum of its parts.

The chemistry and selflessness that was admired in a 2004 title and seventh-game loss to the Spurs in 2005 faded in accolades for four starters with All-Star appearances. Trouble gushed open in Wallace's open defiance of Saunders when he refused to play in a March game and likely will end with the departure of Wallace, the team's symbolic leader.

He was among a vocal majority of Pistons disturbed with Larry Brown's tenure, angry because he sought another job while seeming to take the credit for the Pistons' success, tired of his demanding way.

Even owner Bill Davidson, in pushing out Brown, said there was too much Brown and not enough Pistons. The light, guiding hand of Saunders was the prescription.

You can't have it both ways. General manager Joe Dumars ceded to the players' wishes to trust them to be responsible. They won a league-high 64 games, then left their game in the regular season.

Wallace has been described as the Pistons' heart and foundation. But at 32, even with another Defensive Player of the Year award, his skills are eroding. Moving him would signal a major change without a substantial breakup.

There's no way the Pistons want to see him in the East and there figure to be many takers in a sign-and-trade, unless the Bulls want to take a shot with a big-money offer.

It's more likely, however, Wallace moves west and the Pistons get a big man, perhaps for Brad Miller of the Kings or Erick Dampier of the Mavs. You figure the Lakers and Grizzlies would try to offer packages since it seems Wallace, too, needs a new start.

Dumars has proven a bold executive and this run all started when the Pistons traded Grant Hill.

Detroit can come back.

"I've been here four years," Hamilton said. "Chauncey [Billups] has been here four years, Tayshaun has been here four years and Rasheed [Wallace] three.

"What we've accomplished in four years is four Eastern Conference finals, a championship and another trip to the NBA Finals.

"The sky is the limit."

Doesnt this Sam Smith character have a history of crazy articles though? I cant remember if thats him.

I was just saying in my head..why would someone take caron's AV and not turn the ranger black red ..I mean he just took all the words and everything...he could have waited utill caron wasn't using it anymore...

How do you pronounce your new name?

No let me read the post.. :bow:
flexxdzl

Postby flexxdzl on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:11 am

Ok...I am going to kill my urge to show what we can trade and get in return...lol..

Ben a (C) is looking for 10 plus million a year...at 32 ..but but but..the west is rule by PF's yes he would provide interior D but he can't shoot free throws ect..bottom line he's a shaq with out the offence.

Trade for him? ...that would be a hard thing to do ( let's say we were able to get him)...Zero offense...and not worth Lamar..what package could we possibly put together to appease the pistons? Brown and bynum for wallace...?

I don't know if that's worth it.
flexxdzl

Postby KB24 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:48 am

Ben Wallace got burned by Shaq and gets burned on a regular basis by the better C´s in the game. I remember reading that they had allowed the most layups in the entire NBA (11+ per game). Ben Wallace is a great weak side shot blocker, rebounder and hustler but he ain´t really worth a lot of mios. I wouldn´t want to give him more than 7-8 mio. a year specially since he is not the youngest player and probably the ugliest player in the NBA.

yes we need shot blocking and a banger for the PF position but Kwame and Wallace on the same team doesn´t sound like great fit IMO.
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakerfanimal on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:59 am

personally, iono how much he would help our team. he's an offensive liability, he's 30 or so, and he's declining.
ImageImage
lakerfanimal

Postby gregoden on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:04 am

imagine our frontcourt d! imagine kwame as the main man defender on the paint, guarding the better offensive post player of the opposing team, and imagine big ben as the help d, swatting those shots! wow! and imagine a kobe/banks backcourt, denying the perimeter, w/ odom denying the entry pass down low w/ his length. that would be the scariest defensive starting lineup in nba history! kobe and lamar can do all the scoring and we still win because of our lockdown d!

too bad it has a better chance of just being a dream :man5:
gregoden

Postby KB24 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:10 am

gregoden wrote:imagine our frontcourt d! imagine kwame as the main man defender on the paint, guarding the better offensive post player of the opposing team, and imagine big ben as the help d, swatting those shots! wow! and imagine a kobe/banks backcourt, denying the perimeter, w/ odom denying the entry pass down low w/ his length. that would be the scariest defensive starting lineup in nba history! kobe and lamar can do all the scoring and we still win because of our lockdown d!

Harper
MJ
Pippen
Rodman
Horace Grant...

you must have a pretty short memory :mhihi:
KB24
Site Admin

Re: Lakers Name Mentioned in Ben Wallace S&T

Postby Dizzmal on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:23 am

Da Veinticuatro wrote:http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/cs-0606040240jun04,1,5154340.column?coll=cs-basketball-print

Detroit can come back.

"The sky is the limit."

If I were Ben Wallace, I would join a team like the Spurs, Dallas, the Heat or an up and coming team like the Lakers or Grizzlies. Why? Because winning championships with two seperate teams would solidify his place in the Hall of Fame in Springfield showing he is in fact a needed and vital piece on a team, like Shaquille O'Neal.
Dizzmal

Postby gregoden on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:35 am

KB8@CL wrote:
gregoden wrote:imagine our frontcourt d! imagine kwame as the main man defender on the paint, guarding the better offensive post player of the opposing team, and imagine big ben as the help d, swatting those shots! wow! and imagine a kobe/banks backcourt, denying the perimeter, w/ odom denying the entry pass down low w/ his length. that would be the scariest defensive starting lineup in nba history! kobe and lamar can do all the scoring and we still win because of our lockdown d!

Harper
MJ
Pippen
Rodman
Horace Grant...

was horace a part of the second three-peat bulls? i think luc was their center. so that laker lineup would be the scariest.
gregoden

Postby LUUUKE on Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:58 pm

no offense..

he worse than kwame on offense for christ sake
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby smilez on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:29 pm

holy what IF some how Sac trades for him with out giving up artest or bonzi. damm that would be serious.
smilez

Postby LukeWalton on Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:44 pm

Ben Wallace in a heartbeat..One of the most intimidating players in the middle..Extremely hard worker..

Dont compare Kwame to Big Ben..not even close.
LukeWalton

Postby MarkMadsen on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:04 pm

damn, if we can trade him for kwame + cook... itll make me all wet inside. :man13:
MarkMadsen

Postby Da Veinticuatro on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:16 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:damn, if we can trade him for kwame + cook... itll make me all wet inside. :man13:

If they did that, fans would demand the head of Dumars on a platter...with Saunders as an appetizer.
OJ MAYO - NORTH COLLEGE HILL TO UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
These are the numbers which matter to me: 1928 1931 1932 1939 1962 1967 1972 1974 1978 2003 2004 and 20,32,12,33,3,11,5. FIGHT ON!!!
Da Veinticuatro

Postby MarkMadsen on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:26 pm

Da Veinticuatro wrote:
MarkMadsen wrote:damn, if we can trade him for kwame + cook... itll make me all wet inside. :man13:

If they did that, fans would demand the head of Dumars on a platter...with Saunders as an appetizer.

maybe. But they should be happy they can get something of good use in return if Ben Walks.
MarkMadsen

Postby c pilg on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:40 pm

personally id b happy if we made any offseason move b/c now all were talking about is bringing in a veteran PG but i think we need to bring in another superstar like ben kg or jermaine
c pilg

Postby dogster on Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:56 pm

I love Big Ben, but he unfortunately hasn't figured out how little he's worth now. He hired a new money-grubbing, hardball agent and is going for the max he can get. But he's on the downside, can't shoot free throws, and just got toasted by the Heat. There's no doubt that he still has fuel in the tank, but his star is fading. He's been a fantastic overachiever, but the parade is going by. We don't need to spend big $ for this. We have enough big dudes.
dogster

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:04 pm

Mihm, Bynum, 2007 1st rounder for B. Wallace.

C-Wallace/Brown
PF-Odom/Brown
SF-Walton/Profit
SG-Bryant/Parker
PG-Banks/Sasha

Shot blocking, passing, defense, scoring. Kwame off the bench would be huge for our big man rotation. We gain instant leadership and toughness with one of the most driven men in the NBA going for the gold.

Detriot gets a servicable center with an expiring contract and perhaps a future stud in the league in Bynum, along with a 1st rounder. Sends him to the West without having to help one of the more powerhouse teams, along with gaining two centers for one, even though Ben is far and beyond their talent levels.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Rabbit on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:34 pm

A guy on Real Gm claims to be on the in with this.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=520027[/url]
KB8@CL wrote:In Buss I trust.

Rabbit

Postby MarkMadsen on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Ben is going to be part of a sign and trade deal with the Lakers. Odom is part of the deal, but that's all the information I have right now.

:man8:
MarkMadsen

Postby Black Sheep91 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:41 pm

MarkMadsen wrote:
Ben is going to be part of a sign and trade deal with the Lakers. Odom is part of the deal, but that's all the information I have right now.

that is pure crap
Black Sheep91
ClubHawks.com Administrator

Postby LUUUKE on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:19 pm

Black Sheep1 wrote:
MarkMadsen wrote:

that is pure crap

there goes are second best scorer for a guy im not too high on
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby LukeWalton on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:52 pm

Garbage. I doubt the Lakers would trade Lamar Odom for Ben Wallace. There's no way unless Sheed or Billups are also involved. Maybe Antonio McDyess.
LukeWalton

Postby Rabbit on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:15 pm

LukeWalton wrote:Garbage. I doubt the Lakers would trade Lamar Odom for Ben Wallace. There's no way unless Sheed or Billups are also involved. Maybe Antonio McDyess.

I'd love Billups. Ben really does nothing for me. They don't want to get rid of Prince. I think he is full of it too. I want LO here unless you can get a guy at a KG, T-Mac, or AI level.
KB8@CL wrote:In Buss I trust.

Rabbit

Postby Chivalry on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:36 pm

KB8@CL wrote:

Harper
MJ
Pippen
Rodman
Horace Grant...

You mean Rodman/Grant, right? These guys played during different Chicago 3-peats.
Chivalry

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors