Lakers pursuing Stefano Mancinelli (w/ small L.O. reference)

Re: Lakers pursuing Stefano Mancinelli (w/ small L.O. reference)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Big Mamma Jamma wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I don't understand why you think Powell is so little value. I just don't understand that.

I know what you are saying : when the opportunity to get better is there, go for it. But this is not the case. Powell has shown (above) that he is a very solid player. A solid 11th man (11th for Christ's sake) and a solid PF.

Again : The Lakers are looking into other bigs why? Because Lamar isn't guaranteed back yet. Therefore there is a need to look at other bigs to fill a void. Do I think Powell is a decent role player? Yes. Is he good enough to play all of Lamar's minutes should he choose to leave? No. Thus the need for another big to help out.

It's not that I don't value Powell, but rather the comments made by Mitch in a supposed article (see my comments about that below) prior to the draft have led me to believe that Mitch is looking to upgrade the PF/C position. In the article Mitch was quoted as saying that the Lakers needed a PG for the future and another big (despite the fact at that time he felt Odom would be re-signed). I will look for the article and if I can't find it, I am either (A) technically deficient and unable to find a single thing on the Interwebz or (B) mental ... that article may have magically appeared in my memory (which has happened before ... I blame my old age for that!)

As for Powell, I think he is a decent role player and have no problems with him. I actually think Powell's stroke is far and away better than LO's, i.e., much more mechanically sound. That's why Powell can come off the bench and hit that jumper without playing much because of his shooting mechanics.

The article did exist, as I read it too. But that still doesn't mean that the Lakers are looking to upgrade Powell at all. Or DJ for that matter (although between the two, DJ would be the one to upgrade).

I think that the Lakers (as with other teams) are always looking to add size. At that point, I can understand you wanting to sign Smith. But my point is that with Lamar on this team, there's really no reason to. If Lamar wasn't on this team, I say go for it. But Buss is proving every penny matters thus far and he isn't willing to keep spending (which is understandable).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vincey on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:34 am

Radner wrote:
Well, unless you've watch enough games of Mancinelli, how would you know?

Most people come to the conclusion that since A. a player is European. B. he doesn't play in the NBA. there's no way he can be better than a current (role) player who plays in the NBA. But the sad truth is that there are quite of few players in Europe who are indeed better than role/bench players in the NBA.

Reasons you don't see many playing in the NBA is due to their disinterest of the league. From what I've read, most of these players can careless about the NBA. Yeah, it might sound crazy but it's fact.

And I never made any such blanket generalizations about Euros.

Either dispute what I said, or stop putting words into my mouth.

How exactly is he a definite upgrade over Josh? How many games have you seen him play?
Vincey

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:41 am

therealdeal wrote:
Big Mamma Jamma wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I don't understand why you think Powell is so little value. I just don't understand that.

I know what you are saying : when the opportunity to get better is there, go for it. But this is not the case. Powell has shown (above) that he is a very solid player. A solid 11th man (11th for Christ's sake) and a solid PF.

Again : The Lakers are looking into other bigs why? Because Lamar isn't guaranteed back yet. Therefore there is a need to look at other bigs to fill a void. Do I think Powell is a decent role player? Yes. Is he good enough to play all of Lamar's minutes should he choose to leave? No. Thus the need for another big to help out.

It's not that I don't value Powell, but rather the comments made by Mitch in a supposed article (see my comments about that below) prior to the draft have led me to believe that Mitch is looking to upgrade the PF/C position. In the article Mitch was quoted as saying that the Lakers needed a PG for the future and another big (despite the fact at that time he felt Odom would be re-signed). I will look for the article and if I can't find it, I am either (A) technically deficient and unable to find a single thing on the Interwebz or (B) mental ... that article may have magically appeared in my memory (which has happened before ... I blame my old age for that!)

As for Powell, I think he is a decent role player and have no problems with him. I actually think Powell's stroke is far and away better than LO's, i.e., much more mechanically sound. That's why Powell can come off the bench and hit that jumper without playing much because of his shooting mechanics.

The article did exist, as I read it too. But that still doesn't mean that the Lakers are looking to upgrade Powell at all. Or DJ for that matter (although between the two, DJ would be the one to upgrade).

I think that the Lakers (as with other teams) are always looking to add size. At that point, I can understand you wanting to sign Smith. But my point is that with Lamar on this team, there's really no reason to. If Lamar wasn't on this team, I say go for it. But Buss is proving every penny matters thus far and he isn't willing to keep spending (which is understandable).

Okay. So now we're on the same page! :man1:

I agree with your points and they are well taken.

I'm glad you read the article too because I really thought I was going crazy. I have searched for it for the past 30 mins and cannot find it.

As for Smith I couldn't care less. I just would like a big that could back up Bynum rather than have Gasol slide over to the C position when Bynum goes out. Gasol logged a lot of minutes last season and understandably so when Bynum went down. Having a big that could spell Bynum for stretches would allow Phil to rest Gasol more.

As for a backup to Bynum, I like Rasho Nesterovic. Rasho would allow Phil to rest Gasol rather than have Gasol slide over to the C position when Bynum gets in foul trouble or needs rest. Plus, Rasho is a legit 7'0" 255 who plays good defense and has a decent shot.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Re: Lakers pursuing Stefano Mancinelli (w/ Lamar Odom reference.

Postby 10scott10 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:54 am

trodgers wrote:His numbers certainly don't WOW me. The video shows nothing that would translate to an inside game in the NBA. And we'd probably have to overpay to bring him here.

considering we could only offer the vet min, it seems like it would be hard to overpay him
10scott10

Postby lakerproduct on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:38 pm

I like Josh b.c of his limited role on this team. He's a decent rebounder, always gives good effort and his 12-15foot jumper is deadly...hes a poor man's Turiaf and this Mancinelli guy looks like a poor man's Hedu. But We Cant Repeat With PoorMen having key roles on the team :freak2: Im sure Mancinelli will get picked up by Toronto or Portland where they have time to develop him into an NBA player.
BlackMamba Strikes!
lakerproduct

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Big Mamma Jamma wrote:Okay. So now we're on the same page! :man1:

I agree with your points and they are well taken.

I'm glad you read the article too because I really thought I was going crazy. I have searched for it for the past 30 mins and cannot find it.

As for Smith I couldn't care less. I just would like a big that could back up Bynum rather than have Gasol slide over to the C position when Bynum goes out. Gasol logged a lot of minutes last season and understandably so when Bynum went down. Having a big that could spell Bynum for stretches would allow Phil to rest Gasol more.

As for a backup to Bynum, I like Rasho Nesterovic. Rasho would allow Phil to rest Gasol rather than have Gasol slide over to the C position when Bynum gets in foul trouble or needs rest. Plus, Rasho is a legit 7'0" 255 who plays good defense and has a decent shot.

I understand your point, but it goes against making the team better. Pau playing the Center position allows Lamar to step into the PF spot and all of a sudden the game changes. Now the Lakers are a completely different team. Where as before they had two low post threats, now they have two guys that can take you off the dribble and get to the rim or play perimeter ball. The dynamic change is unprecidented in my memory as a Laker fan. At least on this level.

All of that being said, you're right. This season should see DJ and Powell each averaging probably 4-5 minutes a game giving all three big guys adequate rest.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:53 pm

10scott10 wrote:
trodgers wrote:His numbers certainly don't WOW me. The video shows nothing that would translate to an inside game in the NBA. And we'd probably have to overpay to bring him here.

considering we could only offer the vet min, it seems like it would be hard to overpay him

I mean that most Euros have contracts already with buyouts. I can't imagine that we could even cover that. I really don't see why it's being discussed.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby kenshi1023 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:36 pm

his numbers look better than sasha...
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:16 pm

trodgers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Powell is more than solid enough to be on this team. I don't understand the disrespect towards him at all.

Powell as a starter

2008/09: 1 game, 17 points, 9 boards, 57% FGs
2007/08: 25 games, 9.2 points, 7.6 boards, 48% FGs

I actually think he can be a serviceable stopgap starter. Stress on serviceable and stopgap.

The guy can play, but neverthelss the Lakers are better off with Odom.
The Buss family needs to make do with a few million dollars less - and give it to LO - and then get ready to dig even deeper for Gasol next year.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby CarFlagChris on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 pm

10scott10 wrote:

That made me wonder if there was some Euro deal whereby he stays under contract with his Euro club, and the Lakers pay the Euro club to avoid the cap.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:10 am

No thanks. I'm not sure he used his right even once... not to dribble, not to shoot.

And people around here complain about Lamar's lack of a right?
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:11 pm

CarFlagChris wrote:
trodgers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Powell is more than solid enough to be on this team. I don't understand the disrespect towards him at all.

Powell as a starter

2008/09: 1 game, 17 points, 9 boards, 57% FGs
2007/08: 25 games, 9.2 points, 7.6 boards, 48% FGs

I actually think he can be a serviceable stopgap starter. Stress on serviceable and stopgap.

The guy can play, but neverthelss the Lakers are better off with Odom.
The Buss family needs to make do with a few million dollars less - and give it to LO - and then get ready to dig even deeper for Gasol next year.

We didn't say he'd be a great replacement for Lamar, only that he is more than a servicable big man for the minimum.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Pshh give Mbenga the ball and get out of his way. Mbenga has game beyond Kobe, beyond the Lakers beyond Thunder dome. Mbenga is gawd.
BadCoaching

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:36 pm

BadCoaching wrote:Pshh give Mbenga the ball and get out of his way. Mbenga has game beyond Kobe, beyond the Lakers beyond Thunder dome. Mbenga is gawd-awful.

Fixed. :man10:
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:40 pm

^^^No LOVE for Dacos? I dont know maybe its just me but I could swore this year alone he probably has had as many block shots as Kwame did all of his 3 yrs. here but maybe thats cause DJ seems to swat at everything and Kwame would just put up his hand and give up 3pt plays :bang:
khmrP

Postby JSM on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:42 pm

Ballin Europe wrote:Lots of speculation – including that by fans in three NBA cities – ended on Monday with the signing of prize free agent Stefano Mancinelli by Armani Jeans Milano. Italian media had reported that Mancinelli’s agent was entertaining offers from the Los Angeles Lakers, Toronto Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers for the forward, but Mancinelli will instead be staying in his home country for two more years. The small forward was jettisoned in the Fortitudo Bologna mess which resulted in that team’s diminishment to amateur status, and Mancinelli is currently training with Team Italy in preparation for the EuroBasket tournament.

(Euroleague.net) – One of the best small forwards of his generation returns to the Euroleague after a two-year absence with the news that Armani Jeans Milano signed Stefano Mancinelli to a two-year deal on Monday. Mancinelli (203, 26) arrives from Fortitudo Bologna, where he had played throughout his entire career, making his Italian League debut in the 2000-01 season. He averaged 6.2 points and 4.7 rebounds in six Eurocup games last season. Mancinelli boosted his scoring average to 13.8 points in 30 Italian League games, but could not prevent Fortitudo from avoiding relegation. He helped Fortitudo make it to six consecutive Italian League finals from 2001 to 2006, lifting the trophy in 2005. Mancinelli also played with Fortitudo in the 2004 Euroleague final, in which his club lost to Maccabi Tel Aviv. He is a regular member of the Italian national team and took part in the 2006 FIBA World Championships in Japan. Mancinelli is now trying to bring Italy to EuroBasket 2009 through the additional qualifying round.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby DHL on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:16 am

is this guy the next slava?
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby Vassallo on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:17 am

he is a pretty good player, but he is somehow crazy. Some days ago he made a brawl.
He had just signed for AJ Milano.
I heard that Steve Nash and Kobe(when he is 35 or something like this) want to finish their career in the AJ Milano, Is it right? (I hope so, and we will win easily the eurolegue)
Hi all from Italy... So sorry for my english
Vassallo

Postby MadMax on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:33 am

I'm freakin happy LO re-signed with us.
MadMax

Postby ben_ready on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:20 pm

snakepit wrote:LOL..i don't know who started this rumor but my fellow italian compatriot is nothing more than garbage.

hahahaha now that's comedy yell
great "scott"! you're too "green", and not "worthy" enough to taste the "magic" "kareem"(cream)/You flew the "coop" "west" so don't fuss just drive the "buss"(bus),while i eat my "chick" n' "stu"(chicken stew) in the aisle,"back 2 back" with "riles" my favorite laker squad
ben_ready

Postby therealdeal on Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm

Vassallo wrote:he is a pretty good player, but he is somehow crazy. Some days ago he made a brawl.
He had just signed for AJ Milano.
I heard that Steve Nash and Kobe(when he is 35 or something like this) want to finish their career in the AJ Milano, Is it right? (I hope so, and we will win easily the eurolegue)

Sorry buddy, but I have a lot of doubts that Kobe would go play in the Euro leagues at age 35. At 35 he'll still be a pretty damn good SG in the NBA and he could very well still be challenging for rings in the NBA.

Now maybe when he's in his late 30s or early 40s he could do it... but that's still a maybe.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vassallo on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:24 pm

when he is 40...it 's good, too....
anthony parker was euroleague MVP in 2005 and 2006...i think that a 40 years kobe is still better than parker....i hope...
Hi all from Italy... So sorry for my english
Vassallo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:06 pm

Vassallo wrote:when he is 40...it 's good, too....
anthony parker was euroleague MVP in 2005 and 2006...i think that a 40 years kobe is still better than parker....i hope...

Well for your sake (and all of Euro ball), I hope he does it. I'm not positive he will though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jellybean on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:36 am

i hope he stays and breaks a ton of league records and finishes with more championships than anyone but Russel.
Yeth, I'm thexy. :)
Jellybean

Previous

Return to Sourced Rumors