Lakers pursuing Stefano Mancinelli (w/ small L.O. reference)

Lakers pursuing Stefano Mancinelli (w/ small L.O. reference)

Postby Jordan-esque on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:10 am

LINK
At least three NBA teams are currently pursuing Italian star Stefano Mancinelli: the Toronto Raptors, who are seemingly interested in every European player that comes down the pike; the Los Angeles Lakers, especially with Lamar Odom still in free-agency limbo; and perhaps his most likely destination, the Portland Trail Blazers.

Team USA fans may recall Mancinelli from group play in the 2006 FIBA Worlds as the unstoppable presence that gave the Americans fits while going 6-for-6 from the floor in a hard-fought 94-85 win by the ‘States.

Though Los Angeles would seem to be an excellent fit for Mancinelli with its Euroball-style play and foreigner-rich roster, the Trail Blazers will surely be gunning hardest for the Italian’s services. Mancinelli was with the Blazers’ summer-league team in 2007, Portland will certainly be looking for a versatile forward after getting rebuffed by Hedo Turkoglu earlier this year.

Stefano Mancinelli
6'8 SF, 215 lbs.
DOB: 03-17-83 (26 yrs)

13.8 PPG
4.3 RPG
1.9 APG
1.6 SPG
0.5 BPG
47.4 FG%
70.0 FT%
34.3 3P%

Being compared as an Andres Nocioni player.
Possible SF filler for a Trevor Ariza?
Last edited by Jordan-esque on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Re: Lakers pursuing Stefano Mancinelli (w/ Lamar Odom reference.

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:16 am

Mancinelli is being discussed in the NBA discussion forum. I really like his game and he would be a definite upgrade to Powell.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think Powell's contract is only partially guaranteed, right?

Here's a vid of him. He wears #6

"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby KB24 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:21 am

its pretty easy...

you have an article about a no-name...you need to generate hits...you are seeking attention...

just throw the lakers name in the rumors and you are guaranteed fame.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:25 am

His numbers certainly don't WOW me. The video shows nothing that would translate to an inside game in the NBA. And we'd probably have to overpay to bring him here.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:26 am

Regardless, good find and appreciate it. Enjoy reading this type stuff and never look at the NBA Forum. Thanks for posting this in Lakers forum. That is only team I care about and like to read anything concerning LA regardless of if it ever happens or not.
SignPippenNow

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:32 am

Lamar Odom : PF.
Whatever this guy's name is : SF.

The idea the Lakers would be pursuing him in lue of Lamar makes no sense at all.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:33 am

why everyone seems to think Powell should be dropped to add another, lets not forget bout Yue.....his isn't guranteed at all IF we drop him before some date in Aug.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:35 am

Powell is more than solid enough to be on this team. I don't understand the disrespect towards him at all.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:37 am

Yeah Powell and DJ are now guaranteed any way. LA picked up their options. Sun, as you say, is one who may not be back. If LA is serious about only carrying 13 players I really don't see any way they bring Sun back. I think they have to let him know by Aug 1 unless I am mistaken.
SignPippenNow

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:44 am

KB24@CL wrote:its pretty easy...

you have an article about a no-name...you need to generate hits...you are seeking attention...

just throw the lakers name in the rumors and you are guaranteed fame.

that was the first thing I thought before I even clicked on the thread.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby trodgers on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:55 am

therealdeal wrote:Powell is more than solid enough to be on this team. I don't understand the disrespect towards him at all.

Powell as a starter

2008/09: 1 game, 17 points, 9 boards, 57% FGs
2007/08: 25 games, 9.2 points, 7.6 boards, 48% FGs

I actually think he can be a serviceable stopgap starter. Stress on serviceable and stopgap.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:00 am

therealdeal wrote:Powell is more than solid enough to be on this team. I don't understand the disrespect towards him at all.

he is not an allstar. You know that Laker fans what all 15 players to be allstars who can put up 30 on any given night while defending all 6 positions on the court. 6? Yes six, they have to be able to defend the opposing coach as well.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 am

TRD, it's not disrespect toward Powell at all. You and I have discussed this before. Why would the Lakers look at Sean May? Why would the Lakers look at other PFs, e.g., Gooden and Smith? Because if the Lakers can get a guy that makes the team better ... then the Lakers should and will explore those options.

I don't know why everyone gets so upset about guys possibly being replaced. I cheer for the Lakers team, organization and not for one particular player. If Powell's position can be upgraded then so be it. If LO isn't re-signed then so be it.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:14 am

Big Mamma Jamma wrote:

TRD, it's not disrespect toward Powell at all. You and I have discussed this before. Why would the Lakers look at Sean May? Why would the Lakers look at other PFs, e.g., Gooden and Smith? Because if the Lakers can get a guy that makes the team better ... then the Lakers should and will explore those options.

I don't know why everyone gets so upset about guys possibly being replaced. I cheer for the Lakers team, organization and not for one particular player. If Powell's position can be upgraded then so be it. If LO isn't re-signed then so be it.

Look at Trodger's stats presented for Powell when he starts. Keep in mind : When he starts. Those are extremely solid statistics, and this guy is 11th on the bench, getting paid the minimum and helping to solidify the team by not complaining or causing a fuss.

With that combination, he literally cannot be upgraded.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:21 am

therealdeal wrote:
Big Mamma Jamma wrote:

Look at Trodger's stats presented for Powell when he starts. Keep in mind : When he starts. Those are extremely solid statistics, and this guy is 11th on the bench, getting paid the minimum and helping to solidify the team by not complaining or causing a fuss.

With that combination, he literally cannot be upgraded.

Answer me this ... why did the Lakers workout May? Why did the Lakers show interest in Smith and Gooden? I don't get it. If Powell cannot be upgraded then why look at anyone else especially since Powell has a contract.

In your mind you believe that Powell cannot be upgraded. That's fine. However, I'm trying to understand why the Lakers feel it necessary to not only look at other PFs but also other players such as Mancinelli.

Big Mamma Jamma

Re: Lakers pursuing Stefano Mancinelli (w/ small L.O. reference)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 am

From what I've read, Mancinelli is a Small Forward, not a Power Forward so the two don't coincide whatsoever.

Again, take a look at both mine and Trodger's posts and they clearly say that he is a good stopgap player, in other words can fill in for short periods of time as a player that logs big minutes. The Lakers were looking for a person like May or Smith so that when Pau isn't playing PF, there are now two players that can fill in at the PF (assuming Odom doesn't resign). Two is better than one. This isn't about upgrading any one person, it's about filling in depth left by a big time player on the team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby snakepit on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:33 am

LOL..i don't know who started this rumor but my fellow italian compatriot is nothing more than garbage.
Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

http://www.lakersland.it
snakepit

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:45 am

therealdeal wrote:From what I've read, Mancinelli is a Small Forward, not a Power Forward so the two don't coincide whatsoever.

Again, take a look at both mine and Trodger's posts and they clearly say that he is a good stopgap player, in other words can fill in for short periods of time as a player that logs big minutes. The Lakers were looking for a person like May or Smith so that when Pau isn't playing PF, there are now two players that can fill in at the PF (assuming Odom doesn't resign). Two is better than one. This isn't about upgrading any one person, it's about filling in depth left by a big time player on the team.

I know Mancinelli is a SF. I even mentioned that in my last post where I wrote: "However, I'm trying to understand why the Lakers feel it necessary to not only look at other PFs but also other players such as Mancinelli", meaning upgrading not only the PF position but other positions as well hence Mancinelli.

I'll guess we'll just have to agree to disagree concerning the Lakers and what they're trying to do. As context for my argument concerning Powell I used Mitch's remarks made before the free agency period even began where he spoke about a long term solution at PG and needing another big. I just looked and can't find the article but I know I read it. I'll continue searching for it.

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:49 am

I don't understand why you think Powell is so little value. I just don't understand that.

I know what you are saying : when the opportunity to get better is there, go for it. But this is not the case. Powell has shown (above) that he is a very solid player. A solid 11th man (11th for Christ's sake) and a solid PF.

Again : The Lakers are looking into other bigs why? Because Lamar isn't guaranteed back yet. Therefore there is a need to look at other bigs to fill a void. Do I think Powell is a decent role player? Yes. Is he good enough to play all of Lamar's minutes should he choose to leave? No. Thus the need for another big to help out.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sean on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:05 am

nm
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby Vincey on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:08 am

"A definite upgrade to Powell"?

That had me rolling on the floor
Vincey

Postby Radner on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:09 am

Vincey wrote:"A definite upgrade to Powell"?

Have you seen Mancinelli play aside from what you've seen in the highlight video?
Radner

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:10 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't understand why you think Powell is so little value. I just don't understand that.

I know what you are saying : when the opportunity to get better is there, go for it. But this is not the case. Powell has shown (above) that he is a very solid player. A solid 11th man (11th for Christ's sake) and a solid PF.

Again : The Lakers are looking into other bigs why? Because Lamar isn't guaranteed back yet. Therefore there is a need to look at other bigs to fill a void. Do I think Powell is a decent role player? Yes. Is he good enough to play all of Lamar's minutes should he choose to leave? No. Thus the need for another big to help out.

It's not that I don't value Powell, but rather the comments made by Mitch in a supposed article (see my comments about that below) prior to the draft have led me to believe that Mitch is looking to upgrade the PF/C position. In the article Mitch was quoted as saying that the Lakers needed a PG for the future and another big (despite the fact at that time he felt Odom would be re-signed). I will look for the article and if I can't find it, I am either (A) technically deficient and unable to find a single thing on the Interwebz or (B) mental ... that article may have magically appeared in my memory (which has happened before ... I blame my old age for that!) If I can't find the article I promise to never bring it up again!

As for Powell, I think he is a decent role player and have no problems with him. I actually think Powell's stroke is far and away better than LO's, i.e., much more mechanically sound. That's why Powell can come off the bench and hit that jumper without playing much because of his shooting mechanics.
Last edited by Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby Vincey on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:12 am

Radner wrote:

Have you seen Mancinelli play aside from what you've seen in the highlight video?

Outside of a few games from 06 games, no.

He is not a "definite upgrade to Powell".

That is an incredibly shortsighted statement.
Vincey

Postby Radner on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:21 am

Vincey wrote:
Radner wrote:

Outside of a few games from 06 games, no.

He is not a "definite upgrade to Powell".

That is an incredibly shortsighted statement.

Well, unless you've watch enough games of Mancinelli, how would you know?

Most people come to the conclusion that since A. a player is European. B. he doesn't play in the NBA. there's no way he can be better than a current (role) player who plays in the NBA. But the sad truth is that there are quite of few players in Europe who are indeed better than role/bench players in the NBA.

Reasons you don't see many playing in the NBA is due to their disinterest of the league. From what I've read, most of these players can careless about the NBA. Yeah, it might sound crazy but it's fact.
Radner

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors