Lakers pursuing Stromile Swift

Postby bhatta on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:37 pm

no thanks .. i'd rather have a banger than a leaper for our starting PF
bhatta
Clublakers Lead Analyst

Postby rydjorker121 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:02 pm

Not a bad player at all on both the offensive and defensive end, and has shown the raw potential to be even better than what he is right now. However, I somewhat noticed that over the course of this season his stats dwindled down--not to downright horrible, but just very mediocre. Most of his points were scored on easy buckets given his athleticism and leaping skills, and I wish he'd show more of an outside J. On defense, he's improved vastly from just being a good weakside shotblocker. I wonder why Jerry West wouldn't want to keep him, he's a gem and has star potential obviously. I doubt we'd get him because he's commanding a lot of money, but it's always nice to know Mitch is doing something. He'd be the pogo stick for our team and block shots--but that's all pipe. On a side note, I also wanted him last year.
rydjorker121
Draft/Trade Rumor Staff

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:52 am

As overrated as he might be he is still worth MLE type of money. He is too weak to be an inside force but you get some shot blocking, some rebounds, some points too. It IS a good sign that Mitch tries to lure him but he isn´t the most likely guy to end here.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby eNlight on Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:01 am

i don't know much about the money issues. i am clueless, if we use the mle can we get anything else, or are we just done. to further clarify, can we use the lle and one mle or no?
eNlight

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:07 am

eNlight wrote:i don't know much about the money issues. but i am clueless, if we use the mle can we get anything else, or are we just done. to further clarify, can we use the lle and one mle or no?

Well we are over the cap. that means we have 2 exceptions.
The midlevel exception =4.9 mio.
The lowerlevel exception=1.6 mio.
If we use the MLE for Swift (for example) we would have a LLE for a player (most likely a vet or a journeyman).
So you can say MLE is the ONLY valuable exception to get FAs usually.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby eNlight on Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:08 am

KB8@CL wrote:
eNlight wrote:i don't know much about the money issues. but i am clueless, if we use the mle can we get anything else, or are we just done. to further clarify, can we use the lle and one mle or no?

Well we are over the cap. that means we have 2 exceptions.
The midlevel exception =4.9 mio.
The lowerlevel exception=1.6 mio.
If we use the MLE for Swift (for example) we would have a LLE for a player (most likely a vet or a journeyman).
So you can say MLE is the ONLY valuable exception to get FAs usually.

thanks
eNlight

Postby Antonio on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:27 am

KB8@CL wrote:As overrated as he might be he is still worth MLE type of money.

For sure. The problem is we only got 1 MLE to offer.
Antonio

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:49 am

He wants his pay day and that's not something we could give him, unless a sign and trade takes place. I think he will get more money from one of the other teams that are interested in him:
Knicks
Nets
Hawks
Hornets

The last two have the most two throw at him.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby number8 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:05 am

lakerfool wrote:
wingnut wrote:
lakerfool wrote:OVERRATED

What part of not earning playing time from 2 legendary coaches makes this guy worth anything to us

Have you actually seen him play instead of just looking at his stats? The guy gets murdered when trying to guard bigger post players

He is good at blocking shtos fromt he weakside, and is good at jamming it. But other than that, that's about all he's really good at

He has little post game, again gets murdered by bigger PF's, no outside game, and yet he might get paid OVER the MLE

He deserves the MLE, maybe a little more, but not the FAT contract speculator's predict he's going to get

Amen lakerfool! I have the same assessments of the Stro Sho. Even if you are just focusing on his stats those rebounding numbers suck! Not only are they low for a PF, they are consistently low throughout his career.

I wouldn't even waste our MLE on him, but it's being reported in the NY Post this morning he and his agent are looking for $9 million / yr.

Hopefully, this is just another smokescreen. I'd rather go into the season with the PFs we have and wait til next year than have this bust under contract for 5 years.
number8

Postby Kingsama on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:20 am

number8 wrote:
lakerfool wrote:
wingnut wrote:
lakerfool wrote:OVERRATED

What part of not earning playing time from 2 legendary coaches makes this guy worth anything to us

Have you actually seen him play instead of just looking at his stats? The guy gets murdered when trying to guard bigger post players

He is good at blocking shtos fromt he weakside, and is good at jamming it. But other than that, that's about all he's really good at

He has little post game, again gets murdered by bigger PF's, no outside game, and yet he might get paid OVER the MLE

He deserves the MLE, maybe a little more, but not the FAT contract speculator's predict he's going to get

Amen lakerfool! I have the same assessments of the Stro Sho. Even if you are just focusing on his stats those rebounding numbers suck! Not only are they low for a PF, they are consistently low throughout his career.

I wouldn't even waste our MLE on him, but it's being reported in the NY Post this morning he and his agent are looking for $9 million / yr.

Hopefully, this is just another smokescreen. I'd rather go into the season with the PFs we have and wait til next year than have this bust under contract for 5 years.

thats a big amen from me, this guy is all flash and ZERO basketball substance. How does a 6'9'' athlete only bring done something like 5 rebounds a game???
Kingsama

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:40 am

C-Webb and Jrose--->more realistic.
KareemTheGreat33

Guilty by Association

Postby Pray for Laker Wins on Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:22 am

Any guy that Jerry West lets walk away and retarded Isaiah Thomas (the worst GM ever) wants badly can't be a good thing, right?

Whatever Jerry touches turns to gold; and, lately, whatever Isaiah touches turns to [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.].

Am I wrong for feeling a bit uneasy about this?
The other kid piped in, "Hey what happened to the Lakers?" "We lost our way," I told them. "We just lost our way at the wrong time." I smiled, got in the car, and started the engine. I headed home.
Pray for Laker Wins

stromile swift

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:01 pm

the only way tha lakers would be able to pick up swift is if brian grant doesn't exercise that option becomes a free-agent and let someone else pick up that loaded contract. or a sign & trade deal but that won't ever happen.[/b]

Postby Sirron on Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Bigs are valuable in this league. If Phoenix isn't offering him much to return, I hope everyone has their eyes open to see him for the player he is. You can't pay someone for what you hope they will become when you only have exceptions to work with. The minimum exception sounds like a fit, but surely someone will overpay for him.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby alex58 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:10 pm

I will never offer the MLL to Swift, I will do that with Kwan Brown, who is a lot better player than Swift. Brown will have to work his tail in order to proof that Washington was wrong about him , and that will benefit us a lot . Swift had the chance in Mem, but he let it go .
Not with MLL , we have to use it wisely , as this is our only way of getting a better player in the FA market.
Magic , the only way to bring back the go0d old days.
alex58

Postby Samarian on Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:29 pm

i know we have a MLE not a MLL but kwame is second on the list to stro my friend
Can't stop, Won't stop chingy and dem gunnaz cause we, we get down baby we get down, girls them girls they love us.
Samarian

Postby plennt on Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:22 pm

plennt thinks the knicks have him; plennt is disapointed
plennt

Postby KB24 on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:44 am

plennt wrote:plennt thinks the knicks have him; plennt is disapointed

Well KB8 think plennt is completely wrong. KB( believes NO is the front runner to sign him and KB8 thinks plennt should learn to talk proper english. KB8 thanks in advance.

KB24
Site Admin

Postby ATM The Minck on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:47 am

swift is good

he just never got minutes........check his stats when he gets PT!

starting and playing 36 mins he'll average 15 an 8rebs and 2blks, i guarantee.

he has a good jump shot too which will be good for the triangle and he's a good finisher.........he's not sorry.....

if he got the mins Kmart got on the nets, and with kidd he'd put up just as good #'s....
ImageImageplayers who will be good - written 7/21/05
-Kwame, ty chandler, Travis outlaw, frank williams, darko.
$$$--- JAMAAL TINSLEY IS ALWAYS HARD ---$$$
ATM The Minck

Postby Ed Guru on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:16 am

I think Swift and Kwame would each make a valuable contribution to the Lakers - I think both would be bench players though to be honest. Swift would add more instant lift and is the type of bench player that can turn a game around.

Kwame is more future though, with a bigger body that may prove more useful. Although both are possible I don't think we'll land either of these two right now.

Better fit for the Lakers would be Hunter, but I feel that we may not get him either! Lakers, think defence defence defence!
..with the sharpness..
Ed Guru

Postby perfecto31 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:38 pm

flexxdzl wrote:Memphis will help us if we help them.....(snt)......we will have to take jay will and poss.........bonzi...off their hands... the teade would be someting like....

jay will bonzi and swift for caron....sahsa...devan and..cook..and slava..

I did not do trade checker... but just giving........and example...

swift is a free agent, no need to trade.
now that Lamar is the third option or so keep um.

"if you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

Perfecto has new songs on the 1st and 15th of each month.. Government Assistance @ www.DubCnn.com
perfecto31

Postby lakerfool on Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:04 pm

perfecto31 wrote:
flexxdzl wrote:Memphis will help us if we help them.....(snt)......we will have to take jay will and poss.........bonzi...off their hands... the teade would be someting like....

jay will bonzi and swift for caron....sahsa...devan and..cook..and slava..

I did not do trade checker... but just giving........and example...

swift is a free agent, no need to trade.

If to the Lakers yeah. The Lakeshow has no room to offer over MLE, so to get market for him, we'd have to trade for him. Sorry, don't want to overpay for an overrated player
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby Dime Dropper on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:24 pm

Samarian wrote:i know we have a MLE not a MLL but kwame is second on the list to stro my friend

Why should we want Kwame? He's gonna get tossed under Phil.
Dime Dropper

Postby lakeshow2k4 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:25 pm

Latest is he's going to Houston to team with Yao. How much cap room does Houston have? Any more than the MLE? Swift can help a team especially if he gets the mid level. He was buried behind a star in Gasol.

Remember when Ben Wallace was stuck behind Webber and Howard in Washington? He got traded to Detroit and the rest is history. Players like Swift can't contribute from the bench. Mitch, go get this guy! He's not bad!
lakeshow2k4

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:31 pm

lakeshow2k4 wrote:Remember when Ben Wallace was stuck behind Webber and Howard in Washington? He got traded to Detroit and the rest is history. Players like Swift can't contribute from the bench. Mitch, go get this guy! He's not bad!

You're comparing Kwame to Big Ben? :man10:

Best defensive big man vs the PF version of Gump
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors