Lakers pursuing Stromile Swift

Postby BrianCook_The_Laker on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:06 am

Isiah Thomas' search for a big man is progressing faster than his search for a head coach. The Knicks already have set up a meeting with Memphis free-agent forward Stromile Swift today in New York.

Swift, 25, is one of several free agents to whom Thomas reached out just after the free agency recruiting period began at midnight Thursday. The Knicks, according to sources, also contacted the agents for Seattle's Jerome James, Washington's Kwame Brown, Cleveland's Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Portland's Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Thomas has made it clear that he wants an athletic big man, preferably a center. Swift is a power forward who averaged 10.1 points and 4.6 rebounds in 60 games last season. The Nets, Hornets, Rockets, Lakers and Heat are among the teams that are also pursing the 6-9 Swift, who was the second pick of the 2000 NBA draft.

"Our interest in the Knicks speaks for itself," said Swift's New Jersey-based agent, Andy Miller. "Free agency started on July 1 and we're meeting with them on July 2."

[More in URL]
BrianCook_The_Laker

Postby KB24 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:11 am

CREDIT TO MITCH :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Dude had a great draft and now contacting Swift and Daniels. Both would be a good choice.
Mitch is getting smarter. Seems like he has learned from previous mistakes. He wants to prove haters wrong now. I like it.
ANYBODY can BASH Mitch for not getting things done yet BUT YOU CAN´T DENY HE IS WORKING HIS BUTT OFF. EVERYTIME a media report takes a note on the active Teams LA TOPS the rank. Since January Mitch has been EXPLOSIVE and ACTIVE.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Kobe Era 2K5 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:49 am

Stromile Swift would be very valuable addition to our roster, cuz he is very explosive and athletic player. Get him Mitch! :man2: :man12:
The Kobe Era 2K5

Postby slomo24 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:05 pm

He'd would HAVE to up his rebounding. There is no way he could be our starting 4 and only average 5 boards a game. His ppg is fine.
slomo24

Postby quitkthanx on Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:32 pm

We're only getting him if Memphis helps out through a sign and trade. He's gonna get offered big $ in New Orleans.
quitkthanx

Postby flexxdzl on Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:58 pm

Memphis will help us if we help them.....(snt)......we will have to take jay will and poss.........bonzi...off their hands... the teade would be someting like....

jay will bonzi and swift for caron....sahsa...devan and..cook..and slava..

I did not do trade checker... but just giving........and example...
flexxdzl

Postby Sirron on Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:08 pm

That article did not look like it was a very big possibility. Looked like it was just thrown in there as an additional name. Interesting though.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby wavy on Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:09 pm

flexxdzl wrote:Memphis will help us if we help them.....(snt)......we will have to take jay will and poss.........bonzi...off their hands... the teade would be someting like....

jay will bonzi and swift for caron....sahsa...devan and..cook..and slava..

I did not do trade checker... but just giving........and example...

i hope west will help his old team.

i would love to see swift in LA he is a very strong PF, we could really need him, but i'm not sure if this is gonna happen he'll probably want a hell of a lot of money.
wavy

Postby S.R.05 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:19 pm

swfit will be a hornet
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:32 pm

swifts good but hes not starter material turiafs body is more starter like then swift
PurpleNGold1

Postby silversyphon41 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:37 pm

PurpleNGold1 wrote:swifts good but hes not starter material turiafs body is more starter like then swift

Swift is a bench player. He would however be very valuable for a burst of energy and rebounding and blocking. But as far as a starter, Turiaf should get the nod.
KOBE + BYNUM & TURIAF + GOOD PG = SELL OUT CROWD! BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS LA!
silversyphon41

Postby Sirron on Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:01 pm

I don't see how we sign him for what he wants. I don't think he's worth it. We'd have to do a S&T, and who wants our crap? Does Memphis want expiring contracts. I heard Memphis is going to try to package him with Jason Williams or some other bad contract...
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby alex58 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:31 pm

I can see him as a lakers , but not to trade Caron for him and Jwill.
Mem wants some expiring contracts , then lets give them this , not one of our best players :man7: but i know this will never happen , as all what we are talking now about will never be heared by our GM.
Magic , the only way to bring back the go0d old days.
alex58

Postby JSM on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:21 pm

Hawks and Hornets are really pressing hard after Swift. Only way we could get him would be in a sign and trade and they can probably get better offers than what we have to give. Swift won't be a Laker. I wouldn't mind him, decent rebounder, brings some energy and excitement, but not worth the cost of what it would take to get him. He is a bench player and not a real PF. The only D that he is strong in is blocking. He is too thin to compete with the beasts at PF. With the Grizz, they have such a deep roster, that can rotate players in and out depending who they are playing or every 5 or so minutes, we don't have that luxury.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:56 pm

jsm0331 wrote:Hawks and Hornets are really pressing hard after Swift. Only way we could get him would be in a sign and trade and they can probably get better offers than what we have to give. Swift won't be a Laker. I wouldn't mind him, decent rebounder, brings some energy and excitement, but not worth the cost of what it would take to get him. He is a bench player and not a real PF. The only D that he is strong in is blocking. He is too thin to compete with the beasts at PF. With the Grizz, they have such a deep roster, that can rotate players in and out depending who they are playing or every 5 or so minutes, we don't have that luxury.

Yep. All that talent yet the knock against him is his unwillingness to use his brain. Thats a problem when your trying to build a contender

Postby SWOL on Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:26 pm

S&T
MITCH YOU CAN REDEEM YOURSELF
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:33 pm

30 Teams in this league are interested in Swift, we will have to take a number and wait it out. More than likely he'll bolt to a team with cap space ala Hotlanta.
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby unpossibl1 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:11 pm

At this stage in his career, I don't think Swift cares to much about going to a winning organization, he just wants to get paid. We need to be looking at guys who have already had their big payday, and are willing to go to a good organization for a little bit less money than what the scrubs are offering.
unpossibl1

Postby Antonio on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:14 pm

I dont think we should waste our mid-level salary to sign him, cause he aint worth it. He's a good bench player, but not the kind of player we need with the few money we have to spend.
Antonio

Postby lakeshow2k4 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:15 pm

I've always liked this guy for some reason. It seems like he's been playing behind Gasol all his career and hasn't had a breakout. I think he has tremendous potential. Like everyone said though, it looks like our interest will be offset by other teams' $$

Imagine: Swift, Odom, Daniels, Bryant, Mihm
compared to:
Mihm, Odom, Butler, Bryant, Atkins

that's worth a half dozen wins just on paper, couple that with PJ., Bynum, Turiaf...... not too bad.
lakeshow2k4

Postby lakerfool on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:21 pm

OVERRATED
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby Xepa on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:23 pm

lakerfool wrote:OVERRATED

Team FARMAR.
alleon86, The Bynum Supremacy, Barnstable, Massacre, nicehair911, melo061, Chicano, Kwame's Cake, lizlakers31, KobeBryant583, popo, C-mac 4.35, dj vitus, M4mb4 24
Xepa

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:45 pm

What part of not earning playing time from 2 legendary coaches makes this guy worth anything to us

Postby lakerfool on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:52 pm

wingnut wrote:

What part of not earning playing time from 2 legendary coaches makes this guy worth anything to us

Have you actually seen him play instead of just looking at his stats? The guy gets murdered when trying to guard bigger post players

He is good at blocking shtos fromt he weakside, and is good at jamming it. But other than that, that's about all he's really good at

He has little post game, again gets murdered by bigger PF's, no outside game, and yet he might get paid OVER the MLE

He deserves the MLE, maybe a little more, but not the FAT contract speculator's predict he's going to get
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby DamonBoost on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:13 pm

wingnut wrote:

doesnt matter.. being in AR i have seen swift play alot.. and heard all the press when i dont..

he is an athlete.. thats pretty much it... no basketball IQ.... the triange would be to swift like microeconomics is to me.. say it with me 'grade forgiveness'

he is going to be so overpaid by some team.. hopefully not us.
DamonBoost

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors