Mitch on 570 (4/29 8:50 AM)

Mitch on 570 (4/29 8:50 AM)

Postby crucifido on Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:48 am

I'm sure I'm reading something into what he's saying (which I normally don't do), but it sure sounds like he's ready to make an acquisition that may take up some significant cap space this summer.

"Its nice to have the cap space out there availabale for 2 years from now, but if something comes along that's too good to turn down, we'll do it."

Once again, I hate to assume, but that sure seems to be laying the groundwork for something coming down the pike. Whether it be this summer, during the draft or during the next season I don't know. I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents out there.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby TheProof on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:07 am

IT'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

I can't wait for our first 20 page thread! And this time around I will actually be a member!!!
There is always light at the end of the darkest tunnels.

HOLD ON LAKER FANS!!! HAVE FAITH!!!
TheProof

Postby Still A Dynasty on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:12 am

he bettter be looking at trades
Still A Dynasty

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:20 am

He said the teams who aren't in the Playoffs can do Trades right now so I assume hes working on something.

Postby UKUGA on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:31 am

Look at it this way,
say by 2007, the salary cap is $50 million (that may be high).

He has on the books:

Kobe - $20 mil
Odom - $10 mil
2005 1st rounder - $3 mil
2006 1st rounder - $2.5 mil

At that point, you are already at $35.5MM.

What about Caron? Was he re-signed? If so, what if he came "cheap" at $5 mil.

You're at $40.5MM

That leaves them with $9.5 mil (assuming that everyone else plays 06-07 on a 1 year contract).

Is that enough to sign Amare? Yao? Will they even have that much space? Or, will the new cap have even risen that high? (It's currently $45 mil).

With all that in mind, he currently has 6 contracts expiring next year:

George
Vlade
Slava
Caron
+ 2 others that I forget - sorry!

Plus, two "tradeable assets" in Odom & Butler.

I think he realizes that a magical 2007 is more of a longshot (and much riskier), than going ahead and trying to package some expiring contracts to a team that either A) has a disgruntled star, or B) is cutting salary for a sale, etc.

It's not unreasonable to think we could successfully pick up another star in a trade this summer.

Shaq was traded.
T-Mac was traded.
Barkley was traded twice.
Pippen was traded.
Kidd has been traded twice.
Kobe was traded.
UKUGA

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:35 am

MrLakerFan_316 wrote:He said the teams who aren't in the Playoffs can do Trades right now so I assume hes working on something.

Well, KG and Lebron are not in the playoffs. :man12:

I keed. I keed. :man10:

Page 20 here we come! But honestly, that is Mitch's standardd company line. Don't get your hopes up. His big acquisition is probably Phil Jackson. :man10:
jimbo327

Postby bigsleepy on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:48 am

jimbo327 wrote: But honestly, that is Mitch's standardd company line. Don't get your hopes up. His big acquisition is probably Phil Jackson. :man10:

I agree that Phil is probably the (first) big news for the Lakers this off-season.

But lets look at a couple of other factors into all of this rumor-mongering:

1. Teams are barred from even discussing free agents and trades until after the season is over (playoffs/ finals and all). It is "tampering" to publicly discuss any of this for at least another 5 or 6 weeks.

2. All accounts have Phil likely coming back to the Lakers before the draft and maybe as early as the lottery (May 24). Phil has never been a coach to enter into a "rebuilding" situation, and its highly unlikely that at this stage in his career (and with offers from NY, CLE, etc) that he would take the job with the Lakers if it was only to wait and see about FA's/S&T's in 2007. Some big changes would have to happen THIS YEAR for Phil to want to be here, and we all seem to agree that it seems a foregone conclusion that he will.

We can all speculate all we want about what kind of changes will be made, but I think its completely logical to expect wholesale changes to our roster sooner rather than later.

The above discussion of 2007 cap flexibility is relevant to this year as well, as many of the contracts that expire after next season will be significantly more valuable as trade bait this summer.

We must wait and see, we have no choice (because of tampering rules). But we can all be assured, if in fact we hear Phil Jackson being named as our next head coach, we WILL make major moves this offseason.
"Don't ever forget that you play with your soul, as well as your body"
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
bigsleepy
CL Resident bouncer

Location: Oregon ........ (by way of Vallejo & Los Dangerous, California)

Postby Sharpshooter on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:17 pm

I know this may seem like a pipe dream now but think about it,

Kg likes kobe,
kg isnt happy in min
kobe is happy in la but needs more help,

If kg asks for a trade to the lakers wouldnt we do it?
we could trade them lamar and whoever they want besides kobe

min gets a similar player in odem
and la gets the 1a option its been desparetly needing all while getting a defensive minded player in kg,

then all we would need is a pg, mihm could be our pf or boozer.
Sharpshooter

Postby bigsleepy on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:22 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:If kg asks for a trade to the lakers wouldnt we do it?

If somebody offered you a $100 bill for a Nickel, wouldn't you do it?

Thats about the same as us getting KG. Its not a question of would we do it, its a question of why Minnesota would be so stupid as to give him up (especially to a Western Conference team) for completely unequal talent.

Won't happen.
"Don't ever forget that you play with your soul, as well as your body"
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
bigsleepy
CL Resident bouncer

Location: Oregon ........ (by way of Vallejo & Los Dangerous, California)

Postby Kingsama on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:25 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:I know this may seem like a pipe dream now but think about it,

Kg likes kobe,
kg isnt happy in min
kobe is happy in la but needs more help,

If kg asks for a trade to the lakers wouldnt we do it?
we could trade them lamar and whoever they want besides kobe

min gets a similar player in odem
and la gets the 1a option its been desparetly needing all while getting a defensive minded player in kg,

then all we would need is a pg, mihm could be our pf or boozer.

Please read this thread,
http://www.clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31627

KG is NOT coming to LA...
Kingsama

Postby kobesthegreatest8 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:28 pm

bigsleepy wrote:

Thats about the same as us getting KG. Its not a question of would we do it, its a question of why Minnesota would be so stupid as to give him up (especially to a Western Conference team) for completely unequal talent.

Won't happen.
your av makes me laugh so hard lol..but good way too put it about kg....its never going to happen!

Thanks to Showtime for the greatest sig! And thanks to magicmoment for the awesome Av!
kobesthegreatest8

My thoughts on the subject.

Postby jamingestwo on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:39 pm

All-Stars that would take lots of cap space. Kidd and Marbury - prob. off the block.

1. Image $11,593,816, 5 years left on deal. Sounded as if forcing a trade.
2. Image $13,770,000, 4 years left on deal. Upset over the Mobley trade.
3. Image $18,000,000, 4 years left on deal. Cried on TNT, lottery-bound.

(In order of salary and likelyhood of a blockbuster [3 for 1] trade with the Lakers)
jamingestwo

Re: My thoughts on the subject.

Postby Guest on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:51 pm

jamingestwo wrote:All-Stars that would take lots of cap space. Kidd and Marbury - prob. off the block.

(In order of salary and likelyhood of a blockbuster [3 for 1] trade with the Lakers)

idk about franchise but if kg or carlos could come to LA, and we get phil, we would be a contending team fast

Postby kobesthegreatest8 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:11 pm

Boozer is the only deal I see happening out of those three

Thanks to Showtime for the greatest sig! And thanks to magicmoment for the awesome Av!
kobesthegreatest8

Re: My thoughts on the subject.

Postby Mark McNamara on Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:24 pm

jamingestwo wrote:All-Stars that would take lots of cap space. Kidd and Marbury - prob. off the block.

You forgot about another possibility.....Z Ilgauskas. He's an all star and will get a big contract. I know how much alot of you hate the idea of getting him, but he does fill a big need for us. Also, he's more probable than KG and is a better fit than Franchise.

I'd say either Z or Boozer are most likely to happen.
Mark McNamara

Postby SWOL on Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:23 pm

bigsleepy wrote:

Won't happen.

I AM VERY ATACHED TO MY NICKLE, HOW ABOUT $120.00
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby KB24 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:17 pm

bigsleepy wrote:
jimbo327 wrote: But honestly, that is Mitch's standardd company line. Don't get your hopes up. His big acquisition is probably Phil Jackson. :man10:

I agree that Phil is probably the (first) big news for the Lakers this off-season.

But lets look at a couple of other factors into all of this rumor-mongering:

1. Teams are barred from even discussing free agents and trades until after the season is over (playoffs/ finals and all). It is "tampering" to publicly discuss any of this for at least another 5 or 6 weeks.

2. All accounts have Phil likely coming back to the Lakers before the draft and maybe as early as the lottery (May 24). Phil has never been a coach to enter into a "rebuilding" situation, and its highly unlikely that at this stage in his career (and with offers from NY, CLE, etc) that he would take the job with the Lakers if it was only to wait and see about FA's/S&T's in 2007. Some big changes would have to happen THIS YEAR for Phil to want to be here, and we all seem to agree that it seems a foregone conclusion that he will.

We can all speculate all we want about what kind of changes will be made, but I think its completely logical to expect wholesale changes to our roster sooner rather than later.

The above discussion of 2007 cap flexibility is relevant to this year as well, as many of the contracts that expire after next season will be significantly more valuable as trade bait this summer.

We must wait and see, we have no choice (because of tampering rules). But we can all be assured, if in fact we hear Phil Jackson being named as our next head coach, we WILL make major moves this offseason.
:bow: in other words: We will win games next year :man1: :man13: :man13:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Guest on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:10 am

SHOWTIME REVIVAL wrote:he bettter be looking at trades

Postby Sharpshooter on Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:57 am

The reason min would do it is because kg has shown LOYALTY TO min when there was no fanchise, he was it, partially his own fault but none the less no franchise.

If kg wants to come to la id sure hope min would do it for kgs sake.
Sharpshooter

Postby Kingsama on Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:00 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:The reason min would do it is because kg has shown LOYALTY TO min when there was no fanchise, he was it, partially his own fault but none the less no franchise.

If kg wants to come to la id sure hope min would do it for kgs sake.

stop playing franchise mode on NBA live...
Kingsama

Postby ahaider15 on Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:25 pm

Big Sleepy

Your wrong on two accounts
#1 Lottery teams are allowed to discuss trades between teams that are in the lottery
#2 Phil Jackson is a very strange man and what teams are interested him that arent in the lottery
Exactly the only teams looking for a coach are in the Lottery
Cavs
Twolves
Blazers
Knicks
and
Your Los Angeles Lakers :jam2: :jam2:

Alright so if phil does come back hed be coming back to a lottery team
and the lakers werent winning until he came
chicago wasnt winning until he came
and the current Lakers arent winning
Plus these lakers are in teh best sitatuon
Blazers suck and everyone wants to leave
Twolves their nucleus is being destroyed
Kg Casell and Sprewell has been reduced to just KG
Cavs - LeBron wants to play for mcmillain plus he wants to leave cleveland

By the way I dont think this years lakers are going to make a big splash in the free market but next year i think they will just because Lebron Yao and other bigger superstars will be on teh market and they will have more room after releasing Grant
Enough to get a Lebron or Yao

Plus KG still has a chance of coming to LA but who knows besides the Laker Organization
ahaider15

Return to Sourced Rumors