Mitch will contact Joe Smith, Shelden Williams.

Re: Ric Bucher: Kupchack will contact Joe Smith and Gooden

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:50 pm

gradymac wrote:
Big Mamma Jamma wrote:
gradymac wrote:gooden is one of those player who has occasional good spurts and will follow it up with a string of terrible spurts ....i know this ive actually followed gooden for quite a while cuz i wasa fan of his when he played in ORL....but that was then and there must be a reason why no team wants him...hes been bouncing around from team to team.....this would be a nitemare......SAY NO TO GOODEN!!

He might not be bad. His stats remind me of another PF: Horace Grant. Although Horace probably had more of a b-ball IQ. If Gooden signed for the vet min that would be a great pickup!

yes dont get me wrong id love to have another big man on my team but i dont want him as odoms replacement...we gotta do whatever it take to get him back odom is so versatile he can play all 5 positions and he causes fits to the defense cus of his size.

If Odom came back I would love to have Gooden rather than Powell. Can you imagine? At times when teams go small you could put Odom at the C position and Gooden and the PF position. Man, I really want Lamar to sign. :splat:
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby jtims3182 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:51 pm

How are they signing either of them for 2 years/$960,000 per? Both can get significantly more.
jtims3182

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:54 pm

jtims3182 wrote:How are they signing either of them for 2 years/$960,000 per? Both can get significantly more.

From which teams? No team is going to give Smith or Gooden their full MLE. Well, I take that back ... maaaaaybe Gooden. But no one has been knocking down his door to acquire him.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby LakerEricR on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:57 pm

DHL wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
CL's resident Carolina Panther fan
Zune & Xbox Live ID:SBDuckfan

LakerEricR

Postby magicman32 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:09 pm

I remember when Sacramento bought him out last season and the Spurs were considering signing him, there were some reports floating around about Gooden having a degenerative knee condition that the Spurs were looking into before signing him

Does anyone remember this or have any news on this?
magicman32

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:11 pm

If Odom leaves and they can get Gooden for the vet minimum it would be a steal. Some of you ripping him act as if LA is offering same money they offered LO. Gooden should get 3.5 to 5 in this market and to get him for vet minimum would be as good as LA can hope for barring getting Lamar back. Is Gooden a savior? No, but neither is Odom. As far as being a dumb player as some say, Odom wasn't the smartest player on this planet. As I said, I really, really want Lamar back but Gooden isn't a bad option for the vet minimum. That is about 7 to 8 or so million cheaper than they are offering Odom.
SignPippenNow

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:13 pm

SignPippenNow wrote:If Odom leaves and they can get Gooden for the vet minimum it would be a steal. Some of you ripping him act as if LA is offering same money they offered LO. Gooden should get 3.5 to 5 in this market and to get him for vet minimum would be as good as LA can hope for barring getting Lamar back. Is Gooden a savior? No, but neither is Odom. As far as being a dumb player as some say, Odom wasn't the smartest player on this planet. As I said, I really, really want Lamar back but Gooden isn't a bad option for the vet minimum. That is about 7 to 8 or so million cheaper than they are offering Odom.

Exactly without that much of a drop in production.

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby magicman32 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:18 pm

SignPippenNow wrote:If Odom leaves and they can get Gooden for the vet minimum it would be a steal. Some of you ripping him act as if LA is offering same money they offered LO. Gooden should get 3.5 to 5 in this market and to get him for vet minimum would be as good as LA can hope for barring getting Lamar back. Is Gooden a savior? No, but neither is Odom. As far as being a dumb player as some say, Odom wasn't the smartest player on this planet. As I said, I really, really want Lamar back but Gooden isn't a bad option for the vet minimum. That is about 7 to 8 or so million cheaper than they are offering Odom.

As fans, how exactly does the owner saving 7 or 8 million dollars impact us?

we want the best team on the floor as possible. we want LO because he makes the team better than Gooden would. We want championships.

who cares about the owner saving money?
magicman32

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:22 pm

magicman32 wrote:

we want the best team on the floor as possible. we want LO because he makes the team better than Gooden would. We want championships.

Because if the owner is financially savvy he/she can keep the team competitive for years to come like the Lakers have been in every decade. The Lakers org looks at the now but also has a plan for the future. That's how you build and keep a successful organization operating!

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:23 pm

magicman32 wrote:

Because as fans, we know that realistically, the owner does not have an infinite supply of money. We know that if Buss spends too much money on Lamar, he will be less willing to spend money elsewhere in the future (extending Pau, extending Kobe, re-signing other players, etc.)
Helljumper

Postby GinoDB on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:27 pm

what if we keep Odom AND sign Gooden :man4: :jam2:
GinoDB

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:29 pm

GinoDB wrote:what if we keep Odom AND sign Gooden :man4: :jam2:

We'd have no need for Gooden in that case. He'd only play in blowouts or if someone got injured. And in that situation, Powell is just as good.
Helljumper

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:30 pm

For all of you people bashing Gooden.. Keep in mind.. this is a 14/8 guy when given starters minutes.. Also keep in mind if we lose Odom, our alternative is Josh Powell getting those minutes Gooden would be getting.. Anyone thing Powell puts up 14/8 in 30 mpg, or even stays on the court for that long for that matter? didn't think so
LakersN4

Postby magicman32 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Gooden got those number on teams like Orlando (when they were bad), memphis, Cleveland (before Mo Williams)

on San Antonio he didnt come close to that

and in LA, alongside Kobe, Artest, Gasol and Bynum, theres NO WAY Gooden could average 14 and 8 in 30 minutes

he would probably get about 20-25 minutes, 8 pts 6 rebs
magicman32

Postby DMK on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 pm

BDG wrote: Worst case scenario is Gooden rides the bench and we go into the season with the same team we would have had if LO walks.

He wouldn't be a replacement for Odom, just a big body that can defend, rebound and absorb some of Odom's minutes. If Bynum can return to the form he was in during the early stages of last season, it will solve a lot of problems whether Odom is here or not.

Voice of reason :jam2: much appreciated.

IF lamar walks, we still have to find capable players. instead of getting a star player, it may not be a bad thing to get two solid players instead.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby BeastNThaPaint on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Gooden maybe, Joe smith :disagree:
Come on Mitch, we need you to shock the World once again!!
BeastNThaPaint

Postby tom55 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:13 pm

aansari wrote:
Damian Necronamous wrote:Anyone who thinks Drew Gooden isn't worthy of the P&G is a total moron. The dude would only be a slight downgrade to Odom. Gooden is a good rebounder and would probably average 8/7 off our bench. We could repeat with him as our 6th man. I don't know how we'd get him, though, if we did indeed use our veteran's exception on Shannon Brown.

We can't do a sign and trade because no team owns his Bird Rights.

gooden is dumb as a rock.

So is Odom. If Phil Jackson can get Gooden to play with some consistency, he'd actually be an upgrade over Odom. Odom may be the Lakers most talent player (including Kobe), but he only uses about 1% of it.
tom55

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:46 pm

tom55 wrote:
aansari wrote:
Damian Necronamous wrote:Anyone who thinks Drew Gooden isn't worthy of the P&G is a total moron. The dude would only be a slight downgrade to Odom. Gooden is a good rebounder and would probably average 8/7 off our bench. We could repeat with him as our 6th man. I don't know how we'd get him, though, if we did indeed use our veteran's exception on Shannon Brown.

We can't do a sign and trade because no team owns his Bird Rights.

gooden is dumb as a rock.

So is Odom. If Phil Jackson can get Gooden to play with some consistency, he'd actually be an upgrade over Odom. Odom may be the Lakers most talent player (including Kobe), but he only uses about 1% of it.

Gooden is an upgrade over Lamar? That's cute.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LoyalLakerfan44 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:Joe Smith is very solid, even at his age.

Gooden is solid as well, but obviously neither of them can fill LO's shoes. And if (heaven forbid) there is another major injury, neither could step in like LO did.

At least these two give you CONSISTENCY! Something LO has been lacking since he's been a Laker. People get out of LO's a*ss. Lakers will still win with either of these two, and will actually be better defensively.
LoyalLakerfan44

Postby tom55 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:26 pm

We can't do a sign and trade because no team owns his Bird Rights.[/quote]

gooden is dumb as a rock.[/quote]

So is Odom. If Phil Jackson can get Gooden to play with some consistency, he'd actually be an upgrade over Odom. Odom may be the Lakers most talent player (including Kobe), but he only uses about 1% of it.[/quote]

Gooden is an upgrade over Lamar? That's cute.[/quote]

The triangle works best with consistency. You never know what your getting from Odom. If it was my money, I would have spent it on Ariza and look for a more consistent replacement for Odom. He's not worth 10 million a year. If he thinks he is, just show him his highlights of him standing there doing nothing.
tom55

Postby Alleyhoops on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:49 pm

Boy, what the hell happened to Gooden? It's a shame. He came into the league with elite size, skills, etc., etc. I thought he had all-star written all over him. It just never really happened for him. I had heard that he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Alleyhoops

Postby Enforcer on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 pm

Odom is a mismatch nightmare against most teams. Can't say the same about Smith or Gooden.
Enforcer

Postby TheGM on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Actually Odom is really easy to stop - take a player that is smaller than him like the Celtics did with Posey and Houston did with Artest and Odom is neutralized.
TheGM

Postby Artest37 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:07 pm

For me Odom's big plus last season was that he could anchor the 2nd team down (and be the #1 scoring option) when Pau and Kobe were on the bench. Especially last year when the "Bench Mob" was m.i.a. a lot, LO's usefulness shined. On the 1st team, he was a good 3rd or 4th option.

This year, with Artest, I can see him kinda taking that role of leading the 2nd team, being the 3rd option on the 1st team to some degree.

If the Lakers lose LO, his long frame and skills will be missed, but not to the degree that some people are thinking (i hope)
Artest37

Postby LakerPride247 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Gooden is garbage...There's a reason the guy can't stick with a team. Smith is well past done as well.
“This contract with Joel Anthony is a testament to the man who is second to none; who has worked hard and deserved this,” said Heat President Pat Riley. “We felt that what he has done over the last couple of years in developing his game, his body and his knowledge warrants this reward. If other NBA non-drafted free agents want a prototype to follow, Joel Anthony is that man."

Heat President/Acid abuser Pat Riley
LakerPride247

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors