Mitch will contact Joe Smith, Shelden Williams.

Re: Ric Bucher: Kupchack will contact Joe Smith and Gooden

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:28 am

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Joe Smith is very solid, even at his age.

Gooden is solid as well, but obviously neither of them can fill LO's shoes. And if (heaven forbid) there is another major injury, neither could step in like LO did.

At least these two give you CONSISTENCY! Something LO has been lacking since he's been a Laker. People get out of LO's a*ss. Lakers will still win with either of these two, and will actually be better defensively.

Not if Lamar plays the way he did in the playoffs. Lamar was fantastic defensively. I agree the Lakers would still be winning well without Lamar, but with him this team becomes almost unbeatable.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:32 am

therealdeal wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Joe Smith is very solid, even at his age.

Gooden is solid as well, but obviously neither of them can fill LO's shoes. And if (heaven forbid) there is another major injury, neither could step in like LO did.

At least these two give you CONSISTENCY! Something LO has been lacking since he's been a Laker. People get out of LO's a*ss. Lakers will still win with either of these two, and will actually be better defensively.

Not if Lamar plays the way he did in the playoffs. Lamar was fantastic defensively. I agree the Lakers would still be winning well without Lamar, but with him this team becomes almost unbeatable.

Yep. ^This.

I really believe Lamar will be back. I think while Mitch has put LO on the backburner, he's looking at ways to strengthen the team. Gooden or May would be an upgrade to Powell in my opinion. As much as I like Benga he really is limited. Smith would be better backing up Bynum.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:09 am

^ The thing is, none of those guys are going to play anyway. They'd be a waste. For a combination of 10 minutes every 10 games, Powell and DJ are great. Especially since they are playing for the bare minimum.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:32 am

therealdeal wrote:^ The thing is, none of those guys are going to play anyway. They'd be a waste. For a combination of 10 minutes every 10 games, Powell and DJ are great. Especially since they are playing for the bare minimum.

You can never have enough good bigs especially if guys get in foul trouble, get injured or get suspended. Memphis waived Chris Mihm maybe he could come back. Haha!!!
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby GNC on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:40 am

therealdeal wrote:
Gooden is an upgrade over Lamar? That's cute.

got to love new posters trying to make a name out of themselves :man10:
GNC

Postby khmrP on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am

I dont understand some of the Na sayers here....this scenario is IF Odom isn't resigned, no duh there no replacement for Odom but I rather have something than NOTHING at all :bang:
khmrP

Postby CarFlagChris on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:06 am

Vasashi17 wrote:Lakers playing hardball and I normally love to see such a stance, but in this case it makes no sense whatsoever, cause LO wants to be here. So much damn posturing. Its sickening.

Both sides are making this worse and the sad thing is we're all in the dark about it. There are two conflicting reports about what was offered. One makes LO look like an idiot. And the other makes our FO look like heartless execs. What do we really go off of?

BTW this isn't even close to the answer. This better end the right way, and that means Gooden and/or Joe Smith won't be wearing P&G by October.

4 years @ 9 million seems close to 5 years at 10 million.
Now, 4 years @ 8 million doesn't seem too bad.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 am

Big Mamma Jamma wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ The thing is, none of those guys are going to play anyway. They'd be a waste. For a combination of 10 minutes every 10 games, Powell and DJ are great. Especially since they are playing for the bare minimum.

You can never have enough good bigs especially if guys get in foul trouble, get injured or get suspended. Memphis waived Chris Mihm maybe he could come back. Haha!!!

Of course you can never have too many good bigs, but that's if there's no such thing as a cap and there's unlimited money flow. Right now, Mbenga and Powell are playing for the absolute minimum and they do a very good job of providing energy whenever they're needed. There's no need to replace them if they aren't really playing anyway.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Decepticon8 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:40 am

I think gooden will be signed. :bang:
Decepticon8

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:28 am

therealdeal wrote:
Big Mamma Jamma wrote:

Of course you can never have too many good bigs, but that's if there's no such thing as a cap and there's unlimited money flow. Right now, Mbenga and Powell are playing for the absolute minimum and they do a very good job of providing energy whenever they're needed. There's no need to replace them if they aren't really playing anyway.

TRD, of course I know there isn't unlimited cash flow. But these acquisitions would cost the Lakers the vet minimum based on is a sliding scale. My question to you then is why would Mitch explore options such as Smith and Gooden? The reason is because if one of those guys can make the team better then he will explore those options. Just because you think Benga and Powell do a "very good job" of providing energy, it may be quite possible that Mitch and Phil disagree with you. Even before the FA period began, Mitch was quoted as saying the Lakers needed to find a long-term solution at PG and another big. This was before the whole Ariza, Odom situations played out. After Bynum went down this year, Gasol logged a crapload of minutes. There really wasn't a viable backup that could give Gasol the rest he needed. The Lakers lucked out that no further injuries occurred.

Even if Benga and Powell aren't really playing there is the chance that an important cog or two could go down with an injury. Upgrading the bench with good vets that could fill in better than B and P is simply an insurance policy that in my eyes is very affordable if for the vet minimum.

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby SignPippenNow on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:35 am

CarFlagChris wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:Lakers playing hardball and I normally love to see such a stance, but in this case it makes no sense whatsoever, cause LO wants to be here. So much damn posturing. Its sickening.

Both sides are making this worse and the sad thing is we're all in the dark about it. There are two conflicting reports about what was offered. One makes LO look like an idiot. And the other makes our FO look like heartless execs. What do we really go off of?

BTW this isn't even close to the answer. This better end the right way, and that means Gooden and/or Joe Smith won't be wearing P&G by October.

4 years @ 9 million seems close to 5 years at 10 million.
Now, 4 years @ 8 million doesn't seem too bad.

I am not sure Odom wants to be here as much as you say or for that matter he said. I bought that at one time, but not now.
SignPippenNow

Postby SignPippenNow on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am

Mbenga is a fan favorite, but nothing about his game is great for 10 minutes or any minutes. He is very limited, knows his role and keeps his mouth shut and plays cheap. That is only reason he is on LA.
SignPippenNow

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am

Big Mamma Jamma-
My only point is that you aren't going to find guys as good as they are at their positions. Mitch is looking into Gooden and Smith now because things are rocky with LO. There are an extremely high number of teams that would love to have two guys like Powell and Mbenga who come in and rebound and defend, maybe provide a couple jumpers or something.

Smith, Gooden, etc etc. would be signed for the same purpose, but since they wouldn't be playing much anyway them being there doesn't make much of a difference. If Lamar leaves, I agree I think the bench needs another big as soon as possible. But with Lamar and a healthy front court, this team really doesn't need another big.

If Smith and/ or Gooden could be had for the exact same cost as Powell and Mbenga I say go for it. Although then chemistry can become an issue as well.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SignPippenNow on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:39 am

therealdeal wrote:Big Mamma Jamma-
My only point is that you aren't going to find guys as good as they are at their positions. Mitch is looking into Gooden and Smith now because things are rocky with LO. There are an extremely high number of teams that would love to have two guys like Powell and Mbenga who come in and rebound and defend, maybe provide a couple jumpers or something.

Smith, Gooden, etc etc. would be signed for the same purpose, but since they wouldn't be playing much anyway them being there doesn't make much of a difference. If Lamar leaves, I agree I think the bench needs another big as soon as possible. But with Lamar and a healthy front court, this team really doesn't need another big.

If Smith and/ or Gooden could be had for the exact same cost as Powell and Mbenga I say go for it. Although then chemistry can become an issue as well.

The vet minimum is about the same or even less than Powell and Mbenga are making. It would be just a little more for Smith but not much more.
SignPippenNow

Postby from714to402 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:46 am

SignPippenNow wrote:The vet minimum is about the same or even less than Powell and Mbenga are making. It would be just a little more for Smith but not much more.

The vet minimum is about 450,000 for rookies and up to 1.5(roughly) for veterans that have 10+ seasons.
from714to402

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:49 am

SignPippenNow wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Big Mamma Jamma-

The vet minimum is about the same or even less than Powell and Mbenga are making. It would be just a little more for Smith but not much more.

Then you ask is it worth it? For just a little more, you can get an older player that isn't a guaranteed mesh with the team and won't be seeing a whole lot of playing time anyway.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SWOL on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:23 pm

WILCOX
GOODEN
SMITH

IN THAT ORDER
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby shawn817 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:45 pm

Just say no to gooden guys, he is as dumb as a rock the first time he messes up and Kobe yell's at him he will say "duhhhh" and then Kobe will shoot him in the freaking face.

But in all seriousness, There is a reason that he has been on so many different teams, all of the coaching staff's that have tried to work with this guy have failed.
shawn817

Postby Whatthef? on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:20 pm

Matt Barnes might be a bargain replacement also.
Odumb should not get a five year deal. :jam2:
Look what happened with Walton, now the Lakers are stuck with him. :bang:
Imagine what happens with Odumb if he has the money in the bank and no incentive to play hard for five years. :man8:
Odumb in Candyland, no way. :man13:
Whatthef?

Postby Plot on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Ugh, all these options are such a step down in talent.
Plot

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:42 pm

I sure as hell hope that the "rumored" acceptance by of 4/$36M The Candyman will make this a moot thread.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Whatthef? wrote:Matt Barnes might be a bargain replacement also.
Imagine what happens with Odumb if he has the money in the bank and no incentive to play hard for five years. :man8:

Barnes is already signed.
Walton is a bench player that is easily worth less than MLE money (what he's getting)
Imagine what if Lamar gets this new contract and performs like he did in the Finals, since he already had a taste of championships and wants more?
Odom is the Goods, bring him back.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Imagine what if Lamar gets this new contract and performs like he did in the Finals, since he already had a taste of championships and wants more?

^This. (And he has the Goodies!)

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby lakurluv on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 am

SWOL wrote:WILCOX
GOODEN
SMITH

IN THAT ORDER

I'm down with this! I would prefer Wilcox over all of them, because he has a more suitable game for the Triangle, and is younger than both! He should be an easy solution, but we should be able to pick up him and Gooden!
lakurluv

Postby Whatthef? on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 am

therealdeal wrote:

Barnes is already signed.
Walton is a bench player that is easily worth less than MLE money (what he's getting)

Barnes is still a free agent, not yet signed.
Whatthef?

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors