Mitch will contact Joe Smith, Shelden Williams.

Re: Ric Bucher: Kupchack will contact Joe Smith and Gooden

Postby VincentTH on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:40 pm

karacha wrote:And see if OKC is willing to trade Durant for Odom. :man1:

Given that OKC beat us twice during the regular season, I highly doubt that the Durant for Odom trade would happen :man9:
VincentTH

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:42 pm

I don't believe anything by Bucher either. But I'm not against these two names. Those are two completely serviceable players at the vet min. Will they equate to the dominance we would have with LO? Hell no. It's a big step down, but at least they are halfway decent backup players.

At some point Bynum was going to have to prove that he could play. Now we no longer have a safety net behind him. This could either help or hinder his learning curve. I've been impressed with his competitive fire so far. It sucks to defend a title losing a piece as vital as LO, but Bynum needs to step into his role now. I think Joe Smith or Gooden will be fine as bargain bin type alternative as Kray said. I'd much prefer Leon Powe but who knows if he's healthy.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:46 pm

VincentTH wrote:
karacha wrote:And see if OKC is willing to trade Durant for Odom. :man1:

Given that OKC beat us twice during the regular season, I highly doubt that the Durant for Odom trade would happen :man9:

Unfortunately, I do too.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby GNC on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:48 pm

if okc gives us durant we are set for the next 10 years :jam2: :man10:
GNC

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:56 pm

10 Best Available Unrestricted Free Agents

By Aron Phillips

While the prizes on the market are still clearly Allen Iverson, Lamar Odom and Andre Miller, here are the ten best available free agents left:

1. Marquis Daniels - I’m kind of surprised Daniels is still available right now after having the best season of his career. Averaging 13.6 points and 4.6 rebounds per game, he showed when he could stay healthy (54 games last season), he is a valuable contributor to a team.

2. Flip Murray - After a great year in Atlanta averaging 12.2 points in 25 minutes off the bench, Murray would be a great piece for a team in search of instant offense a la Eddie House. It seems the backcourt is getting crowded in the ATL, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Flip find a team he can get some burn on next season.

3. Von Wafer - While Houston clearly needs a big guy to fill Yao’s void, they’d be crazy to let Wafer walk this summer. Especially with Ron Artest playing for the Lakers, the Rockets can definitely use Wafer’s intensity on both end of the floor.

4. Matt Barnes - Starting 40 games for the Suns last season, Barnes had the best season of his career averaging 10.2 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game in only 27 minutes a night. Barnes is one of those guys that doesn’t take plays off, and if he can stick with a team for more than two years, he can definitely become a solid contributor.

5. Drew Gooden - With career averages of 12.0 points and 7.9 rebounds per game, Gooden will always find himself on an NBA roster. After signing Antonio McDyess, it appears Gooden has outstayed his welcome in San Antonio.

6. Anthony Carter - Finding a legit point guard in this League is tougher than it seems. And while this year’s NBA Draft was full of aspiring PGs, most coaches like to have a vet around just in case. That’s where AC comes in.

7. Chris Wilcox - Of all these guys, 6-10 Wilcox could be the most intriguing option. A couple years ago during a three-year stretch with the Sonics, Wilcox was averaging around 14 and 8 a game after not getting the minutes to flourish with the Clippers. At only 26 years old, the potential is definitely still there and well worth the limited investment.

8. Ime Udoka - While his numbers weren’t great with the Spurs, Udoka is a modern-day Bruce Bowen. And if San Antonio can’t get Bruce back in town, they should do everything they can keep Udoka.

9. Stephon Marbury - After a tumultuous season to say the least, Marbury can still play. While most teams don’t want to deal with his headaches, he still has to be on this list as one of the best available.

10. Sean May - While May has been irrelevent for quite some time, he’s been busy working out for the Blazers and Kings with plans to work out for the Cavs and Clippers later this week. If he can stay health, the former UNC product could be a steal.

Others available: Alex Acker, Maurice Ager, Morris Almond, Maceo Baston, Keith Bogans, Calvin Booth, Ryan Bowen, Rodney Carney, Jarron Collins, Jason Collins, Ike Diogu, Juan Dixon, Melvin Ely, Adonal Foyle, Thomas Gardner, Joey Graham, Stephen Graham, Gerald Green, Jason Hart, Luther Head, Walter Herrmann, Juwan Howard, Othello Hunter, Royal Ivey, Bobby Jackson, Damon Jones, Fred Jones, Brevin Knight, Rob Kurz, Raef LaFrentz, Tyronn Lue, Jamaal Magloire, Sean Marks, Donyell Marshall, Cartier Martin, Desmond Mason, Rashad McCants, Mikki Moore, Rasho Nesterovic, Kevin Ollie, Johan Petro, Leon Powe, Shavlik Randolph, Theo Ratliff, Jeremy Richardson, Malik Rose, Michael Ruffin, Kareem Rush, Cedric Simmons, Sean Singletary, Brian Skinner, Joe Smith, Robert Swift, Stromile Swift, Wally Szczerbiak, Jacque Vaughn, Jake Voskuhl, Shelden Williams, Lorenzen Wright

http://dimemag.com/2009/07/10-best-available-unrestricted-free-agents/
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Kupchack.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Joe Smith > Gooden > Powell.

We need some sort of back up in case LO leaves for the MLE somewhere else. Here's how our plans SHOULD be right now:

A.) Re-sign Lamar.
B.) Sign and trade with Lamar to get back some good players.
C.) Sign someone like Smith, Gooden, Wilcox, or Warrick for the minimum.
Helljumper

Postby GinoDB on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:09 pm

Helljumper wrote:Joe Smith > Gooden > Powell.

We need some sort of back up in case LO leaves for the MLE somewhere else. Here's how our plans SHOULD be right now:

A.) Re-sign Lamar.
B.) Sign and trade with Lamar to get back some good players.
C.) Sign someone like Smith, Gooden, Wilcox, or Warrick for the minimum.

I think you should add trade Morrison/or Farmar to plan C, that would make it just as good as A or B if Mitch
gets a good trade
GinoDB

Postby sportsprodigy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:12 pm

We will take gooden to backup Bynum when hes in foul trouble

Morrison can fill backup SF void

Let me know what you think guys..
The Lakers Dynasty

Make Money Online Doing Surveys, Free, Easy, Safe
http://www.earnmoneycashcrate.webs.com
sportsprodigy

Postby 432J on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:12 pm

both those guys are not that good
joe smith is old, plus he's been a bust since he was drafted #1 overall back in 95
and gooden is overrated
432J

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:20 pm

432J wrote:both those guys are not that good
joe smith is old, plus he's been a bust since he was drafted #1 overall back in 95
and gooden is overrated

What exactly do you think LA is going to get for the vet minimum? If not Gooden and Smith, it will be someone similar. They have no money.
SignPippenNow

Postby karacha on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:23 pm

SignPippenNow wrote:
and gooden is overrated

What exactly do you think LA is going to get for the vet minimum? If not Gooden and Smith, it will be someone similar. They have no money.

Chris Bosh for the minimum.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:28 pm

karacha wrote:
SignPippenNow wrote:
and gooden is overrated

Chris Bosh for the minimum.

Heck no, I want Lebron. At least DWade.
SignPippenNow

Postby ShaqDieselLaker on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:29 pm

SignPippenNow wrote:
and gooden is overrated

Oh, Lakers have the money, but they simply don't want to overpay. That's reasonable when you are bargaining for a fair price, but it's not smart in terms of ensuring another championship.
Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of this team- Kobe(Black Mamba)
When we win it, it's going to taste much sweeter knowing I played with the injury- Andrew(Lionheart)
Tomorrow is another opportunity to accomplish great things- Pau(Pauwer)
Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP- Phil(Zen Master)
Q:Pierce says series isn't coming back to LA? A: [Mean Stare]- Derek(President)
If we don't win the championship, it's my fault- Ron(Tru Warier)
ShaqDieselLaker

Location: Sorry Boston, the championship trophy belongs in LA

Postby West on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:35 pm

I've always like Wilcox, but he won't come for the VetMin.

Does Szerbiac or Knight have anything left?
Thread Killer...
West

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:39 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:
SignPippenNow wrote:
and gooden is overrated

Oh, Lakers have the money, but they simply don't want to overpay. That's reasonable when you are bargaining for a fair price, but it's not smart in terms of ensuring another championship.

Under the free agent rules of signing they don't have money. They are already over the cap, there are limited sources of money they are allowed to use. The MLE is one, the vet min is the other. I think that's about it. The only reason they can offer Lamar more is because he has Bird rights with the team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby shawn817 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:41 pm

I would 100 times rather have Joe Smith than Gooden.... Just say no to Gooden..
shawn817

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:53 pm

ShaqDieselLaker wrote:
SignPippenNow wrote:
and gooden is overrated

They have the money for Odom and offered good money, but no they don't have the money to go get a better free agent than say Gooden, Smith or Shelden. They used the MLE on Artest, LLE on Shannon so no they don't have any money other than vet minimum. You won't find a post from me being critical of them not overpaying for Lamar. to me they were very fair with that offer. Do I want him back or a sign and trade? Sure but if not so be it.
SignPippenNow

Postby NewInsight4P&G on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Guys/Gals,

Something else must be brewing here. Since when has any "report" about players been accurate the last two years.

Pau Gasol = Surprise (rid of Kwame)
Trevor Ariza = Surprise (rid of Cook)
Brown/Ammo = Surprise (rid of Space Cadet)
Artest = Surprise (MLE)

So you think all of sudden we are going to start announcing who were talking too...and to a BSPN stiff who hasn't been accurate on P&G for years. Come on people. There may be issues with LO, but there is something else going on here.

Let's also not doomsday this either! Brown, Powell, Luke, Farmar, Sasha (when hitting Js) are all very good bench players. They don't need to be starter quality. If Drew can stay healthy and artest comes into the "tri" mix, we are going to be fine.

Remember we were all asking for LOs head last year and the beggining of this year for his heartless play. Pau stepped up and lamar played a sixth man role...that why we won. There are many "sixth man" players out there!
NewInsight4P&G

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:00 pm

The only thing I have been critical of LA about is selling the two draft picks, especially the first and I did that on draft night so it isn't hindsight. I felt then and feel now that was a mistake, but hey that is water under the bridge now.
SignPippenNow

Postby GinoDB on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:02 pm

SignPippenNow wrote:The only thing I have been critical of LA about is selling the two draft picks, especially the first and I did that on draft night so it isn't hindsight. I felt then and feel now that was a mistake, but hey that is water under the bridge now.

not me,that was a very weak draft class
GinoDB

Postby crazylakerfanforlife on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:05 pm

i always liked hakim warrick i think he could become the power forward version of ariza.
crazylakerfanforlife

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:07 pm

crazylakerfanforlife wrote:i always liked hakim warrick i think he could become the power forward version of ariza.

A sign and trade for him would solve a lot of problems. The guy has a huge upside just as Trevor did when he came here.
SignPippenNow

Postby SignPippenNow on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:09 pm

GinoDB wrote:
SignPippenNow wrote:The only thing I have been critical of LA about is selling the two draft picks, especially the first and I did that on draft night so it isn't hindsight. I felt then and feel now that was a mistake, but hey that is water under the bridge now.

not me,that was a very weak draft class

DeJuan Blair isn't weak. Ask Hasheem Thabeet. He kicked his butt several times. Also Blair plays PF and it seems LA may be losing a PF. Not saying Blair was or is a great player, but at No. 29 he would have been a steal. Whatever though that is history.
SignPippenNow

Postby kray28 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:10 pm

karacha wrote:Kupchack.

I believe the correct spelling is Cupcake.
kray28

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors