Paul Pierce Rumors Heating Up

Postby lakerfool on Sat May 14, 2005 8:00 am

I'd do the trade, ONLY if we already did the Boozer trade, so we know we'd have a starting PF
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby GCMD on Sat May 14, 2005 8:20 am

This is the FIRST LO trade that I would STR8 UP pass on....

PP for LO? not even close...PP is a bigger Kobe with less talent...don't need that...

Pierce is NOT the answer...
Feel free to ignore anything I say...

GCMD

Postby PurpleNGold1 on Sat May 14, 2005 1:01 pm

GameCockMD wrote:This is the FIRST LO trade that I would STR8 UP pass on....

PP for LO? not even close...PP is a bigger Kobe with less talent...don't need that...

Pierce is NOT the answer...
YES WE KNOW PAUL PIERCE IS THE TRUTH NOT THE ANSWER BUT ID LOVE TO HAVE HIM IN LA KOBE N PP CAN SWITCH UP ALOT PP CAN PLAY PG SG N SF(BECAUSE OF HIS HANDLES BUT HIS SPEED MAKES ME WONDER IF HE CAN PLAY PG ON D
PurpleNGold1

Postby JSM on Sat May 14, 2005 1:21 pm

If we traded Caron for Boozer, then I would do this Odom for Pierce trade in a second.

Odom is a SF and Pierce is a SF, so we wouldn't be adding any SFs. In fact, if we move Caron, we will be losing one.

Paul is a very good defender. He is a great shooter. One of the most clutch guards/forwards in the league. He is one of the best 4th quarter players in the league. He's a good rebounder. 8th in the steals, meaning he's very aware of the passing lanes. Like Kobe, he has a knack at getting to the line.

Plus, Paul is a hometown kid. He is very underrated and not given much recognition by the media, coming to LA would sure shine spotlight on him.

One of the things I have heard time and time again when there is talk of Phil returning to the NBA is that he has never gone to a team that didn't have two superstars. Ok...
1) Kobe
2) Pierce

You want MJ/Pip, this is probably one of the closest matches you could get.

So, that would basically be trading Shaq for Pierce and Boozer...I would be quite content with that.

Mihm
Boozer
Pierce
Kobe
Jack

I think that is a pretty solid team.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby KB24 on Sat May 14, 2005 2:14 pm

jsm0331 wrote:If we traded Caron for Boozer, then I would do this Odom for Pierce trade in a second.

Odom is a SF and Pierce is a SF, so we wouldn't be adding any SFs. In fact, if we move Caron, we will be losing one.

Paul is a very good defender. He is a great shooter. One of the most clutch guards/forwards in the league. He is one of the best 4th quarter players in the league. He's a good rebounder. 8th in the steals, meaning he's very aware of the passing lanes. Like Kobe, he has a knack at getting to the line.

Plus, Paul is a hometown kid. He is very underrated and not given much recognition by the media, coming to LA would sure shine spotlight on him.

One of the things I have heard time and time again when there is talk of Phil returning to the NBA is that he has never gone to a team that didn't have two superstars. Ok...
1) Kobe
2) Pierce

You want MJ/Pip, this is probably one of the closest matches you could get.

So, that would basically be trading Shaq for Pierce and Boozer...I would be quite content with that.

Mihm
Boozer
Pierce
Kobe
Jack

I think that is a pretty solid team.
To be honest I don´t know JSM. I think PPs defense is overrated. He is a much better scorer than Odom but he needs the ball as much as Kobe. Lamar at least doesn´t demand the ball that much, so there is barely trouble with Kobe but with Kobe and PP I can see some disease and the chemistry will suffer. No question about his clutchness and level but I would still believe Odom is a better teamplayer and still a better fit for Kobe and Boozer than PP. But he is worth a consideration and if Odom for PP happens I would´t lose any sleep about it.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby kobesthegreatest8 on Sat May 14, 2005 3:37 pm

If we could get the boozer deal......and then get PP , that would be just nasty!

Thanks to Showtime for the greatest sig! And thanks to magicmoment for the awesome Av!
kobesthegreatest8

Postby MasterRaider on Sun May 15, 2005 4:34 am

We'd be nuts to reject that trade. We're talking about Paul Freakin Pierce. And if you think 2 swingmen can't work, you apparently missed the entire 90's.

As for getting a bigman, almost every rumored trade never involves Odom getting us a PF, so I wouldn't be concered. Caron + expiring contracts works. Especially for someone medicore like Boozer.
MasterRaider

Postby LukeWalton on Sun May 15, 2005 12:48 pm

Id do this in a second. Who care if we get another SF. Pierce is better then every small f we have combined. Hes an all-star exactly the "Pippen". Hes from Inglewood. Wed still have Butler to trade for a big
LukeWalton

Postby ahaider15 on Mon May 16, 2005 7:13 pm

Boston would not trade its best player for a player who is not as good why would they trade for two players who equal less than the offensive and defensive production of just one.

My Point is Paul Pierce is staying in Boston plus hes a shooting guard you dont have a shooting guard play point hes too big and not small forward thats not what hes used too.

This thread is dead. Im Killing it now :man7: :disagree:
ahaider15

Postby showtimecontinue on Tue May 17, 2005 5:53 am

kobe odom pierce,a ball enough to play?/????? :boxing1:
showtimecontinue

Postby James083 on Wed May 18, 2005 4:53 pm

No Thank You.

1. Caron+2 years is pretty close to PP which is about the time we contend for championship since we need time to deveolp and catch Kobe in his prime besides Caron would be our sixth man of year similar to Joe Johnson and could push us over the top in championship team run.

Also the money we save on Caron can be used on other positions such as pg.

2. Boozer+Odom+Mihm is handful on the boards and If by some chance we get a better center we will be athletic and big inside. I hope we upgrade PF no matter what this year and that will only help Odom and Kobe in so many ways.

3. PP comparison as a complimentary player to Kobe is not a good fit at all. I mean Pippen did all the little things and Played some of the best D ever In contrast PP cant play that role. Its not his nature or strong suit. He is scorer and clutch shooter and scoring is not our problem its the D.
My Heart consumes all challanges in my path.
James083

Postby methodnred on Wed May 18, 2005 11:49 pm

IF Paul Pierce was a good defender, I would seriously consider it.

He does possess some similarities to Pippen... tall, can board, can score, good outside shooter, can post up, and most importantly can handle the ball well enough to take pressure off Kobe.

But from what I've heard his defense and conditioning are not very good, so I think we should keep Odom.

But if trade did happen, and we do the Boozer deal:

PG we draft
Kobe
Pierce
Boozer
Mihm

Could that be a good triangle lineup?
methodnred

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Thu May 19, 2005 12:31 am

I'm still pissed at Pierce for turning down UCLA for Kansas after he already made a verbal with Jim Harrick and UCLA in the mid 90s.

Other that that I don't mind having the Inglewood High star back in LA.
I would rather have Artest though. :jam2:
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby KB24 on Thu May 19, 2005 12:46 am

Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 wrote:I'm still pissed at Pierce for turning down UCLA for Kansas after he already made a verbal with Jim Harrick and UCLA in the mid 90s.

Other that that I don't mind having the Inglewood High star back in LA.
I would rather have Artest though. :jam2:

Since we can DEFINITELY get Artest for Odom if we want its silly to get Pierce. :man7: Artest > Pierce.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby MasterRaider on Thu May 19, 2005 3:44 am

methodnred wrote:IF Paul Pierce was a good defender, I would seriously consider it.

What games do u watch? Paul Pierce IS a good defender. I wouldn't say he's on the level of Bowen or Artest (defensively), but he's a damn good defender.

Pierce is a better player than Artest because he's so versatile. Like Kobe, he can simply do it all. Artest is a better complement though IMO, because he can dominate games without the ball (i.e. with his defense). Pierce is alittle too much like Kobe.
MasterRaider

Postby Laker Jam on Fri May 20, 2005 5:17 pm

Funkee wrote:Pierce is basically a Caron with range and better handles.

Not saying Caron will be as good as him but it won't be a world of difference soon.
Caron is 3 years younger and if he works hard with Kobe this summer, he's going to turn into a closest thing to Pierce.

Therefore, why would we trade Odom for an improved (slightly improved soon) version of Caron? Oh yeah, Pierce is also paid a lot more than Caron.

Doesn't make much sense...pass

Even if they include Banks..

Our best bet is to keep Odom unless something comes along.

He's a very special player, still young and not many players can do things that he can.
If we give him the chance to play Lamar Odom basketball, I am sure he"ll play with more passion as well because you know...it's kinda frustrating to be used so poorly.

I still expect great things from Odom.

As for Banks...just forget about him already.
There are better Banks' out there.
Olyen Greene is a 6'5", 205 PG who plays great defense. He can pass and handle the rock as well.
Shooting is basically the only knock on him.

Thank you, Funkee. You actually read my mind.
Laker Jam

Postby Laker Jam on Fri May 20, 2005 5:17 pm

Oops.
Last edited by Laker Jam on Fri May 20, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laker Jam

Postby Laker Jam on Fri May 20, 2005 5:22 pm

Aside from the trading big for small - which makes no sense to me - I've heard repeatedly that Paul Pierce is a depression waiting to happen for his team, that he constantly broods and sulks, is never happy and is very hard to be around. He brings everyone down. I bring this up because chemistry for this young team is crucial. Right now, Odom is the most popular Laker on the team. EVERYONE on that team says he's just so hilarious, he really brightens the mood and makes everyone feel good. He pumps guys up and really brings a "we're friends" attitude. I don't like the idea of replacing that with Mr. Misery.

Additionally, this trade seems very unlikely for the simple fact that Phil loves Odom, and Odom is the one guy Phil spent quite a while talking to at the end of the season. That doesn't sound like a guy whose on the block, rather it sounds like one of the pieces that has intrigued Phil enough to think about coming back to coach these guys. Why, then, would the Lakers trade Odom for Pierce? I can see doing it despite Phil's infatuation with Lamar, if the player obtained was an impact big, but Paul Pierce?

Then there's the issue of the big man position, itself. The Lakers would NOT trade Odom for a SF unless another deal had already been made for a legitimate PF. They're not going to lose their best rebounder on a tentative deal that is agreed to in word, but not signed. It would have to already be signed, sealed and delivered and then we're still talking maybe. I can't imagine the Lakers not wanting to see a frontline that boasts a 7' in Mihm, INSERPT PF, and then a 6'10" Odom?

Personally, this trade makes little sense I just don't see it happening.
Laker Jam

Postby lakerfool on Fri May 20, 2005 5:38 pm

I'd get Pierce if we got Boozer

Pierce is 5 x's the player Odom is, PERIOD.
I SUPPORT THE WHOLE LAKER TEAM NOT JUST CERTAIN PLAYERS: (pm to join) slimjim, Realm of Shadows, KareemTheGreat33, Bballgirl85, DMK, strategos, Kobe#2, Kob3eight, jellyroll49, LALShowtime, Genius GZA, Shooter871, Juronimo
lakerfool

Postby Laker Jam on Fri May 20, 2005 5:45 pm

LukeWalton wrote:Id do this in a second. Who care if we get another SF. Pierce is better then every small f we have combined. Hes an all-star exactly the "Pippen". Hes from Inglewood. Wed still have Butler to trade for a big

What's with you people? Do you actually pay attention to the players' respective games or just get infatuated with the concept of all-star?

Paul Pierce is nothing at all even close to resembling Scottie Pippen. The reason Pippen and Jordan worked so well together, was because Pippen was a facilitator first and a scorer second, thus their games didn't clash. Scottie enjoyed helping others get there's. That's not Paul Pierce. Pierce is a scorer/slasher. That's what he does. You can't acquire him and then start expecting him to become someone else. You know who IS more like Pippen in that sense? Lamar Odom, that's who. He'd be thrilled to help get everyone off and, if used the RIGHT way, will also score about 17-19 ppg, while grabbing plenty of rebounds, as well.

Pierce and Kobe would never become MJ and Pippen. You can't just pair up 2 all-stars, ignore their game styles and then start touting them as the next MJ and Pippen. Winning basketball doesn't work that way or almost everyone would win the title. You have to actually watch the style of game played by the considered player to see if it meshes with your team. In this instance, it doesn't - and I like Paul Pierce. He's just not the missing piece nor is he the ideal partner for Kobe.

Not to mention that there's not much difference between Pierce and Caron that a few years of hard work can't change. Thus, why take on another 14 million dollar a year contract for a more polished version of a guy on our roster whose only earning 1.8 mil.? The idea is to solidify our roster and add versatility (20 SFs is not the answer). Not replace it with like players.

If we wanted a Paul Pierce on this team, we could simply trade Odom for a big and keep and develop Caron at a better price.
Laker Jam

Postby trodgers on Fri May 20, 2005 6:28 pm

lakerfool wrote:I'd get Pierce if we got Boozer

No you di'nt. You can't really believe that. Odom put up fantastic numbers against PFs this season. Imagine him bruising SFs. It would be sick. Pierce is a guy who likes a lot of touches. I know that Odom is a bit needy, but not so much as is Pierce. Plus, there's at least a bit of chemistry going on with Odom and Kobe.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby John3:16 on Fri May 20, 2005 6:57 pm

k0pr0phage wrote: Plus, there's at least a bit of chemistry going on with Odom and Kobe.

What game was that ?
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakers1 on Fri May 20, 2005 7:08 pm

John3:16 wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote: Plus, there's at least a bit of chemistry going on with Odom and Kobe.

What game was that ?

that game when odom passed kobe the ball
okay wrote:I would throw Shaq in the fire as well. Maybe he could burn a calorie or two.

VerbalMilk wrote:
What would it take to get Joe Johnson?

Jesus.
Lakers1

Postby lakerfool on Fri May 20, 2005 7:13 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:
lakerfool wrote:I'd get Pierce if we got Boozer

No you di'nt. You can't really believe that. Odom put up fantastic numbers against PFs this season. Imagine him bruising SFs. It would be sick. Pierce is a guy who likes a lot of touches. I know that Odom is a bit needy, but not so much as is Pierce. Plus, there's at least a bit of chemistry going on with Odom and Kobe.

1. Pierce is STILL 5 x's better than Odom, even w/ Odom playing small forward

2. Chemestry between Odom and Kobe? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
lakerfool

Postby GuRu on Fri May 20, 2005 7:30 pm

lakerfool wrote:1. Pierce is STILL 5 x's better than Odom, even w/ Odom playing small forward

2. Chemestry between Odom and Kobe? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

5 times better? I think youre going a little overboard
Win the Pacific. Win the West. Win a Ring
GuRu
Better Than You

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors