rasheed for odom????? do it mitch! haha

Re: rasheed for odom????? do it mitch! haha

Postby lakefansac on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:09 pm

I'd do it for Sheed, even though I hate the guys guts.

Sheed, even though he is declining, still has a money jumper.

Still a good defender in the post even though his stats won't show it.

A good fit considering most teams love playing zone or packing the lane when playing the Lakers.

Both Pau and Sheed can post up and have great mid range jumpers and Sheed can also shoot three's as well.

I'd rather have Prince, but Sheed fills the need for a perimeter shooter and interior toughness.

Basically, Odom is the piece that will get traded to try to fill a hole in the team, even though it looks like the person we are looking to trade for is a one year rental like Sheed or Marion.

Unless, Buss has suddenly changed his made and is willing to take on more salary.

The trade seems like a viable trade from both sides considering Detroit is really aiming for the future, especially free agency in 2010, even though they are still winning.

We have to throw in something else to make in worth their while though.
lakefansac

Postby ElginTheGreat on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:18 pm

I like this deal as well. so that pretty much means it has zero chance of happening.

A guy like Sheed would really help this team. We don't need much scoring, just a tough guy who can play defense. Sheed-Pau-Drew would be the best big man rotation in the league. We definitely wouldn't have to worry about the Leon Powe's of the league owning our team anymore.
ElginTheGreat

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:21 pm

After looking the situation over a bit more.. I think there would have to be more to this. Detroit is clearing all the cap space they can.. Odom & Sheed are both expiring.. Maybe they want to dump another big contract on us? The only 2 big/long contracts they have are Rip & Tay.. I'm leaning towards RIP because he's:

1. 2 years older
2. hasn't found his game since AI came on board
3. has 2 more years on his deal than Tay
4. frees up more minutes for Stuckey to develop this season

Lamar/Mihm/Vlade for Sheed/RIP works salary wise.. They could ask for Ariza instead of Mihm.. Maybe Sasha gets involved too. No matter what Radman has to be in there for salaries to match. Unless we go 4 for 2 with Lamar/Mihm/Ariza/Sasha, then activate DJ & Sun.. Huge downgrade in talent either way.. But if all they're worried about is clearing cap/developing Stuckey it makes sense..
LakersN4

Postby gill on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:26 pm

^^Rip can also work in our lineup... they're just gonna have to shift Kobe to the 3.
gill

Postby lkrfn85 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:34 pm

cant really see a 20-3 team with a young promising Center and Power forward and the best shooting guard in the game making a 4 for 2 trade to get a center and shooting guard. Liking Lamar for Sheed though.
lkrfn85

Postby borri on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:39 pm

LOL...

Fish
Kobe
Sheed
Pau
Bynum

Sheed can play SF can't he? Just camp out at the 3 line just like Vlad...he certainly can defend the 3 better than Vlad...his length allows him to play off the opp SF more to defend the drive.

It could work....LOL.
borri

Postby cthroatgtr on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:39 pm

Rip would be a big upgrade over Sasha. Sheed is a different player than Lamar. There are 96 minutes between PF/C and that would be 32 minutes each. Not really that unrealistic and most likely you have Pau and Sheed at the end of games. Bynum still has lapses in concentration. Sasha still not sold on him. Thought he turned the corner last year but he is still really weak. Rip is a solid defender and money jumper. Not a 3pt threat but he would be a monster off the bench in a reduced role. Go out and shoot for 20 minutes a game. Probably a pipe but you never know.

Sheed for Odom straight up? Pros and cons. It would toughen the team up for sure and Sheed is much better out on the perimeter than Lamar. Not the ball handler that Lamar is but that is the only thing Lamar does better. Both have lapses in effort but Sheed may want to prove something.
cthroatgtr

Postby lkrfn85 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:43 pm

If we make a trade i really want a veteran guy who has won a championship who can come in and bring toughness. we need to improve defensively as well, and sheed can bring that.
lkrfn85

Postby flexxdzl on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:59 pm

Prince can stop Paul P or Ray allen..shoot the three and would mean about 7 rings in a row ..

ALso Don't forget about Deng..
flexxdzl

Postby halekulani on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:47 am

sheed is still one of the best big men in the game. don't forget that.

having 3 awesome bigs allows you to play 2 on the floor and makes your backcourt EXTREMELY flexible. you can play fast or slow, small or tall at the guard position. kobe can play the 3 even if he's undersized with 2 bigs to back him up.
halekulani

Postby GinoDB on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:00 am

when you think you don't watch Sheed

think of the color green

then you will change your mind

also if you are thinking that he will fit differently in the rotation than Lamar
because he is taller (not an SF), note that Lamar has not played SF since pre-season so it won't be much of a difference
GinoDB

Postby Showtime is Magic on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:25 am

3 point shooting big man that pulls bigs AWAY from the bucket. Where do i sign?
Image Image
Showtime is Magic

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:04 am

Not bad. However, I'd rather have Prince or Rip, plus Stuckey. That's what we need: a 3 and a 1.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerzDQ on Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:12 am

for you guys saying there's not enough minutes... Odom hasn't played a single minute at the SF position this season. Rasheed plays PF, just like Odom is.

although I say this, I still don't really like the trade. (Unless Rasheed gets "motivated", like he did after being traded to the Pistons)
LakerzDQ

Postby Fly Like A Mosquito Bite on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:06 am

Proven championship player who brings a swagger to our team and replacing a really dumb player who is extremely inconsistent.

Where do I sign?

Btw, I love Rasheed Wallace. The guy gets a lot of technicals but he has no locker room issues. In fact, from what I've seen, he's a guy who will back his teammates up on the court if they ever get into any scuffles.
Fly Like A Mosquito Bite

Postby GinoDB on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:24 am

LakerzDQ wrote:for you guys saying there's not enough minutes... Odom hasn't played a single minute at the SF position this season. Rasheed plays PF, just like Odom is.

although I say this, I still don't really like the trade. (Unless Rasheed gets "motivated", like he did after being traded to the Pistons)

I said the same thing two post up and as far as Sheed needing to be motivated,I think we need him just to be tough and get angry ,
trash-talk tot he Celtics/or any other team and not back-down from anyone, and I think he will be motivated if he realizes he can really win another championship
GinoDB

Postby UncLaker on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:30 am

Sheed is a former Tarheel and if he lands on our roster you can book the PARADE the day he puts the jersey on!!!

FOX
WORTHY
KUPCHAK
Mc Adoo

recipe for Laker Championships!!!!!!!!

do it Mitch!!!
UNC Lakers

Mitch Kupchak,Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins,
JR Reid, Shammond Williams,George Lynch, Charlie Scott,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_North_Carolina_players_went_to_the_NBA_dont_forget_Brandon_Wright

"that guy has the best NO PASS look in the game today"
"If ya dont practice Defense, You cant practice winning"

"Antawn Jamison in Purple and Gold please"
UncLaker

Postby LVLAKERFAN on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:14 am

Fisher, Farmar, Yue
Kobe, Sasha, Ariza
Ariza, Luke, Vlad
Wallace,Gasol, Vlad, Powell
Gasol, Bynum, Wallace

WIth Fisher and Wallace there to spread the floor, we can start Ariza at SF.

With Bynum back on the bench we have real depth.
"Baron Davis is a good friend of mine, Carlos Boozer is a good friend of mine, Ron Artest is someone I've known since I was a kid … those are guys we could've gotten," Bryant said. "For whatever reason, it didn't happen."
LVLAKERFAN

Postby dvdrdiscs on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:42 am

Rasheed Wallace makes sense from a basketball standpoint.

Realize that right now, Phil only plays Odom/Bynum/Gasol in his big man rotation (except for blow out games where you may see Mihm/Powell). Getting Rasheed basically puts us in the same boat with a Rasheed/Bynum/Gasol rotation instead, and here is where it gets interesting.

With any pair of Odom/Bynum/Gasol, there will be defenders packing the lane due to neither of those players having a 3 point range. We'd have to rely on our PG/SG/SF to stretch the defense and our weakest 3PT link is @ the Sf position. Put in Rasheed and you make the defenders pay for packing the lane. Imagine a line up of Fisher/Farmar, Kobe/Sasha, Ariza/Rad, Sheed on the perimeter & Bynum/Gasol operating down low. Now that's what I call stretching the defense!

Even @ his age, Rasheed can still ball but chemistry is always a concern although you do question how he's able to stay with the Pistons for so long IF chemistry was that big of a problem for him.

I would do this trade if we have zero intentions of resigning Odom or have no other contingency plans for him.
dvdrdiscs

Postby nameant on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:45 am

If he'd be willing to come off the bench, damn straight. Dood is a winner and a flat out baller. You want defense and toughness? Hello Sheed.
nameant

Postby OchoX3 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:49 am

Tough, wouldn't be intimidated by anybody (you hear that KG?), and is still money from 3.

For LO? In a heartbeat.
OchoX3

Postby GNC on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:11 am

honestly if we can get anything close to equal value for odom we should do it..

and imo. start gasol + Rasheed for 34 minutes or so each and keep one in at all times at power forward. and give bynum the backup minuets about 28 mpg
i think bynum needs to rediscover his commitment to defense.

wallace ... one tough s.o.b
GNC

Postby rock0100 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:37 am

I dont see why this would make sense for the Pistons or Lakers. Maybe he meant Taysaun. Taysaun for Odom makes PERFECT sense for both teams. Odom can be a top 10 (all around) PF and would play perfectly in their small ball lineup this year. Taysaun can be the Lakers' starting SF.
rock0100

Postby theinsanity on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:05 pm

akina wrote:
theinsanity wrote:Makes too much sense? How does that make any sense at all for the Pistons? Rasheed is their only competent center.

It makes sense because Odom's contract comes off the books at the end of this season, and Detroit is trying to grab as many young stars as they can so they can be competitive in the future, which is the main reason why they traded Billups for Iverson, Iverson had an expiring contract.

Odom puts up better numbers than Rasheed, and most importantly he can bring the ball up court, something the Pistons is currently lacking with the trade of Billups.

Why he is good for the Lakers is obvious. Rasheed is a tough defender, someone we desperately need, he is an outside threat, and he's perfect in the triangle.

If Mitch can pull this off and still make the salaries work out, good for him.

Except Sheed's contract is an even bigger expiring. Odom is not a better player than Rasheed, he doesn't fill a need (Iverson, Stuckey, Prince and Hamilton can all bring it up fine) and he would rob the Pistons of the only guy who can really play center (unless you think it's a good idea to put Lamar or Kwame there). It makes absolutely no sense for the Pistons to even consider this deal. None.
theinsanity

Postby KB24 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Sheed is old. And he is just a 3 point shooter offensively and a mediocre rebounder.

What he is good at tho is that he is a proud player and he would leave it all on the floor in big games. Something you cannot be sure about when you talk about Odom.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors