OC Register: Should the Lakers Look at Shaun Livingston?

Postby Laker Jam on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Nope. This guy is more fragile than a wet paper towell.

Besides that injury is nasty and the reports of what he's allowed to do on the court are exaggerated. That report implies that he's just about ready to go now, but that's not at all true. He may not even be ready to play this season, but even if he does get the chance to give it a go, his knee was so badly mangled, that it will swell from playing and he'll have to shut it down repeatedly while his body continues to mend and adjust to the speed and physicality of the pro game - assuming it even can.

That injury was horrific and Livingston is not going to accept any camp invite. He will want a guaranteed contract. We don't need to pay him to take up a roster spot so he can recover on our time. If the best possible situation arises and he gets truly healthy for the 2010 season, we won't have the money to pay him and he'd leave for the highest bidder.

No thanks.
Last edited by Laker Jam on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laker Jam

Postby deal on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 pm

good camp invite...
deal

Postby Kush327 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:24 pm

if he accepts a camp invite, why the hell not? hypothetically speaking, what would the lakers have to lose by inviting him to camp? nothing. what do they have to gain? a lot.
Kush327

Postby cthroatgtr on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:05 pm

I would definitely bring him in. I for one do not think we are set at PG. There is Fish and Farmar. If one gets hurt Sasha is your backup PG. Crawford? Doubtful? Sun Yue? You might as well have Lamar play PG. Sun probably can play the point on offense but on defense you would have to cross match and he isn't that good yet. Mitchell? Haven't seen him but I recall passing wasn't his strength. You need one more guard on this team. Kobe is logging a lot of time and Fish is getting up there. You need 5 guards on the roster.
cthroatgtr

Postby emplay on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:06 pm

people really don't listen - oh well
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby GinoDB on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:18 pm

emplay wrote:people really don't listen - oh well

why have you been always so pissed off /sarcastic recently?
GinoDB

Postby emplay on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:20 pm

i'm not pissed off at all - just amazed at how some basic facts are being overelooked

it's not impossible that livingston could end up a Laker - but this camp invite thing? he already turned down guaranteed money.
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Weezy on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:02 am

emplay wrote:i'm not pissed off at all - just amazed at how some basic facts are being overelooked

it's not impossible that livingston could end up a Laker - but this camp invite thing? he already turned down guaranteed money.

True, but maybe he could realize how stupid that was, how dumb he's being, realize he could lose a shot at playing pro ball again and cave and take a camp invite. Who knows right? You can't expect to have an injury like his and then come back and get a fat contract, people are gonna have to see you play.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby emplay on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:26 am

perhaps - but not if he does get a job somewhere else - time will tell
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby Barnstable on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:53 am

Yes, Yes and Yes again!!

I'd give him a 1 year minimum contract easily. He turned down the Clips, but he might not the Lakers and a chance to win a championship.

What's the harm?

If he's too injured to play near the level he was at, he still wouldn't be much worse than any other guard on the end of the bench and we aren't paying him much, but if he can come back at a high level, we've got a great addition to the team. Just take a little hit on the luxury tax, but not much.

The risk just isn't that big.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby number8 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:21 pm

emplay wrote:i'm not pissed off at all - just amazed at how some basic facts are being overelooked

Seriously. The Lakers would be fools to throw guaranteed money at Livingston until he's capable of coming in for a workout.
number8

Postby emplay on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:22 pm

word is he's going 5 on 5 now - and Tim Grover told the OC Reg he'd be good to go for training camp - not that Grover can predict how Shaun's knee will respond
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Postby SignPippenNow on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:56 pm

emplay wrote:he's not going to show up for a camp invite - remember he turned away a guaranteed year with the clippers

I agree on that Emplay. My question is what would it take to get him to camp, can he recover from that injury and is it even remotely possible Lake Show would consider this. I would love to see him signed if he has a chance to be healthy again. Any info would be appreciated. Also it isn't a matter of being pissed off. Any time a player is mentioned on here some of you act as if he would play for LA for nothing. Emplay clearly said he wouldn't come as a camp invite and there is absolutely nothing to refute that statement.
SignPippenNow

Postby Ubershorty on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:16 pm

The Lakers should definetely invite him to training camp. We need another some what of a true point guard (someone who is quick and a decent passer and shooter) like Fisher and Farmar.
Ubershorty

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Barnstable wrote:Yes, Yes and Yes again!!

I'd give him a 1 year minimum contract easily. He turned down the Clips, but he might not the Lakers and a chance to win a championship.

What's the harm?

If he's too injured to play near the level he was at, he still wouldn't be much worse than any other guard on the end of the bench and we aren't paying him much, but if he can come back at a high level, we've got a great addition to the team. Just take a little hit on the luxury tax, but not much.

actually signing him immediately would be a terrible idea because he'd be a waste of money. i think a camp invite would do fine and then MAYBE we'd give him a very limited contract, but its already been said we're maxed at the guard positions anyway. we dont really need him
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:24 am

therealdeal wrote:

What's the harm?

actually signing him immediately would be a terrible idea because he'd be a waste of money. i think a camp invite would do fine and then MAYBE we'd give him a very limited contract, but its already been said we're maxed at the guard positions anyway. we dont really need him

How would he be a waste of money? The player spot he would be taking would get little to no playing time, and money offered would be no more than a bench warmer. Even if he ended up still being hampered by the injury he would probably be as good as any bench warmer we could have signed anyway.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:41 am

Barnstable wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

What's the harm?

How would he be a waste of money? The player spot he would be taking would get little to no playing time, and money offered would be no more than a bench warmer. Even if he ended up still being hampered by the injury he would probably be as good as any bench warmer we could have signed anyway.

because we already have bench warmers that are signed in Sun Yue and Dwayne Mitchell were already logjamed at the Guard spots we don't need anymore.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby deal on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:29 am

therealdeal wrote:
Barnstable wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

What's the harm?

because we already have bench warmers that are signed in Sun Yue and Dwayne Mitchell were already logjamed at the Guard spots we don't need anymore.

ditto..
deal

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:37 am

The sad thing about this is i bet i am not alone in thinking i would rather give him Luke waltons salary and be possibly not able to play than to keep Luke on team getting his salary. i know it makes no sense but that is just how much i can't stand pukes game. i am having fantasies of signing injured players instead of having luke. :man10:
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby Barnstable on Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Barnstable wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

What's the harm?

So we're not supposed to sign him so a scrub can take his spot? Send Sun or Dwayne to the D-league for all I care.

Sun and Dwane are bench warmers. Livingston is only a bench warmer if he is still bothered by the injury. If not we will have gotten a huge steal.

Which would you rather have? A for sure bench warmer, or someone who might be a bench warmer but at the same time has shown huge potential and might be a great contributor to this team and is still young enough to mature right along Bynum & Farmar.

I don't see the logic of not signing him.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LAKEROC on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:40 pm

A 6-7 point guard who has incredible court vision, is selfless, a good guy on and off the court, and was the best high school point guard in the netion only 4 years ago. I defeintly would bring him to camp. No questions asked. if it doesn't work out, oh well. If he does come back, Livingston and Bynum would destroy the entire league for years to come.

Bring Shaun Livingston to camp.

Sign Alonzo Mourning to a 2 year(team option on year 2) deal at the bi-level exception(1.8 million a year)

this team is then better than last years team

Fisher/Farmar/Livingston
Bryant/Vujacic/Yue
Odom/Ariza/Radmanovic
Gasol/Walton/Powell
Bynum/Mihm/Mourning

Yes, I'd much prefer Turiaf over Powell..but oh well. The team is still stacked and if healthy a dominate team with that lineup!!!!
LAKEROC

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:06 pm

Barnstable wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Barnstable wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

What's the harm?

So we're not supposed to sign him so a scrub can take his spot? Send Sun or Dwayne to the D-league for all I care.

Sun and Dwane are bench warmers. Livingston is only a bench warmer if he is still bothered by the injury. If not we will have gotten a huge steal.

Which would you rather have? A for sure bench warmer, or someone who might be a bench warmer but at the same time has shown huge potential and might be a great contributor to this team and is still young enough to mature right along Bynum & Farmar.

I don't see the logic of not signing him.

look its not a knock on this kids talent but we just dont need him. from what i understand we've already signed Dwayne and Yue and therefore theyre on our payroll, we're already stretched for money, why sign a new gaurd that may not work out and will suck up another couple mil we can give to our true core players? im not saying we shouldnt invite him to camp, im just saying giving him an immediate contract is idiotic. we dont even know for sure whether this guy is actually back to what he was.
invite him to camp and call it there
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:07 pm

LAKEROC wrote:A 6-7 point guard who has incredible court vision, is selfless, a good guy on and off the court, and was the best high school point guard in the netion only 4 years ago. I defeintly would bring him to camp. No questions asked. if it doesn't work out, oh well. If he does come back, Livingston and Bynum would destroy the entire league for years to come.

Bring Shaun Livingston to camp.

Sign Alonzo Mourning to a 2 year(team option on year 2) deal at the bi-level exception(1.8 million a year)

this team is then better than last years team

Fisher/Farmar/Livingston
Bryant/Vujacic/Yue
Odom/Ariza/Radmanovic
Gasol/Walton/Powell
Bynum/Mihm/Mourning

Yes, I'd much prefer Turiaf over Powell..but oh well. The team is still stacked and if healthy a dominate team with that lineup!!!!

agreed, but i think we need to find a way to get rid of Mihm, sign Mourning and sign Mbenga
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:43 pm

^I don't think Mitchel Has a guaranteed contract yet, but anyway, you can't bypass great opportunities to add starter talent (In a year or so) just because it's a slight risk.

Fish will be declining soon and we will need another solid PG. Farmar isn't enough to rest on our laurels at the position. Livingston has shown more upside and is currently better (if healthy) than Sun, Dwayne, and Karl so I would much rather take the risk on him coming back healthy, than the risk that any of those three will turn into what Shawn was when he was healthy.

If a camp invite isn't enough to get Livingston, offer him a one year minimum contract and call it a day.
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby sm61893 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:55 pm

1. Ariza
2. Bryant
3. Bynum
4. Farmar
5. Fisher
6. Gasol
7. Mihm
8. Odom
9. Powell
10. Radman
11. Sasha
12. Luke

Do we have 3 spots open right now?
Or do any of these guys have guaranteed contracts.

Crawford
Karl
Mbenga
Mitchell
Sun

If sun is really coming to play this year that would put us at 13 if know one else is guaranteed and I think we still need a backup C. I would like to leave one spot open in hopes that Radman or Luke play good so we can ship them out in a trade even if we have to take a 2 for 1 swop.

Livingston was looking to be one heck of a player before he got hurt but even if he plays again it might not be anywhere near the level he was at before. I think at the very least he has probably slowed down which means is D has probably suffered. Making quick moves is not going to be easy on a bad knee. I’m not sure I would take the risk without really seeing him play.
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE
sm61893

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors