Rumor: Bobcats in serious trade talks with Lakers

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 am

JediRekal wrote:Mitch loves G Wallace and Larry Brown has loved Odom since the Olympics so this probably has a great chance.

True, true. Remember Larry gushing about Odom last season. I'm all in favor. Gerald Wallace = upgrade over LO at the 3. If Vlad Rad is here he can provide a different look as our long range shooter. Wallace isn't the complete package of Artest, but no one else is either.

I love all the rumors, I'd take any of these guys, Marion, Artest, Wallace, RJ (don't think Mitch wants him), Prince. I'd also take Miller.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby westcoast21 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:02 am

Gerald Wallace is the defensive player we need at the three. But basically we would be taking on a big contract for more defense and less rebounds, take a look at the career averages for both Odom and Wallace:

Wallace
11.6 ppg
5.0 rpg
1.8 apg
47% field goal percentage
30% 3-point percentage
66% from the free throw line

Odom
15.6 ppg
8.9 rpg
4.4 apg
46% field goal percentage
31% 3-point percentage
70% from the free throw line

The only think Wallace has over Lamar is his defensive ability. So because of that, Odom for Wallace should not be done. Even though we need defensive, there has to be a better deal for us. Unless the LA, CHA, and NJ 3 way will start up again.
westcoast21

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:32 am

westcoast21 wrote:Gerald Wallace is the defensive player we need at the three. But basically we would be taking on a big contract for more defense and less rebounds, take a look at the career averages for both Odom and Wallace:

Wallace
11.6 ppg
5.0 rpg
1.8 apg
47% field goal percentage
30% 3-point percentage
66% from the free throw line

Odom
15.6 ppg
8.9 rpg
4.4 apg
46% field goal percentage
31% 3-point percentage
70% from the free throw line

The only think Wallace has over Lamar is his defensive ability. So because of that, Odom for Wallace should not be done. Even though we need defensive, there has to be a better deal for us. Unless the LA, CHA, and NJ 3 way will start up again.

Not a fair assessment. Look at LO's rebounding stats as a SF not a PF. LO dominates the boards, his best attribute for us at the PF position. As a SF his numbers go WAY down. I believe he was averaging about 5-6 a game as SF. He played SF for half a year the first year Phil returned and for his early games this year. At that time this season I remember checking in and seeing him averaging something like 5.3. He was returning from injury, granted, but the real issue is that he was camping out at the 3 point line once again like the last time he played SF for us. He was OUT OF REBOUNDING POSITION AT THE 3. That's the bottom line. He isn't a good fit for us at 3. Wallace is improved Defense at 3 (Lamar can't cover 3's) and still rebounds well.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LOUIE04 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:35 am

Gerald Wallace has always been one of my favorites i was pist when Jordan pulled out last year! :disagree: but if we have a chance why not? he gets injured to much because he plays SO freaken hard not because he's clumsy! I say do it! Maybe Gasol will get tougher while getting guarded by Wallace during practice!!! :man1: oh btw Odom and Wallace cant get traded straight up am i right??
.:jlCobe24:.
LOUIE04

Postby ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:00 am

last stand wrote:
RobinHood wrote:Guys, Gerald has never been to the Playoffs and isn't tested.. I wanna trade Odom for a more experienced player.. but I guess i will do it.

neither had rondo and perkins

hell sasha, farmar, bynum, gasol, ariza had never been past the first round

its not like his type of game needs playoff experience

hes not a jumpshooter

getting to the rack is the same playoff time

and intensity when you have it 100% of the time is always the same

I swear Wallace was on that Kings team back in '02...
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:11 am

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
last stand wrote:
RobinHood wrote:Guys, Gerald has never been to the Playoffs and isn't tested.. I wanna trade Odom for a more experienced player.. but I guess i will do it.

neither had rondo and perkins

hell sasha, farmar, bynum, gasol, ariza had never been past the first round

its not like his type of game needs playoff experience

hes not a jumpshooter

getting to the rack is the same playoff time

and intensity when you have it 100% of the time is always the same

I swear Wallace was on that Kings team back in '02...

He was, but he never played. It was just his 2nd year in the league and he was on a talented team of veterans.
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby 24kobe24bryant24 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 am

i would rather have tayshaun.
24kobe24bryant24

Postby lakefansac on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:22 am

I think this rumor has legs because this fits a need but MORE IMPORTANTLY it fits the Lakers need economically.

As much as Dr. Buss is a great owner, he also is known as a tightwad, penny pincher who wants to spend as less as possible.

This trade fits a need or needs in a small forward who can score and play defense and/or a back up center, a trade that comes cheap for Dr. Buss

Salary According to hoopshype

Gerald Wallace

08-09 09-10 10-11 11-12 12-13
8,287,500 9,075,000 9,862,500 10,650,000 11,437,500 (Player Option)

Nazr Mohammed

08-09 09-10 10-11
6,049,400 6,466, 600 6,883,000

Marion wants money around 15-17
Richard Jefferson earns 14-15 a year
Buss doesn't trust Artest because of what happened with Dennis Rodman
Michael Redd makes around 15-17 million
lakefansac

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:26 am

lakefansac wrote:As much as Dr. Buss is a great owner, he also is known as a tightwad, penny pincher who wants to spend as less as possible.

Where the hell did you get that?

Dr. Buss isn't going to just throw away money on a lackluster team because he's an intelligent business man, but he has shown a willingness to go well above the salary cap (& into the luxury tax) if it puts an elite team on the floor as evidenced by our trade for Gasol earlier this year.

If he was such a "tightwad", he wouldn't have given that deal the green light because it is going to result in a TON more salary that he's on the hook for as well as a lot of luxury tax penalty payments.
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakefansac on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:31 am

^^^^^^^^^^^

Calm down. You took it the wrong way. Any owner wants to spend as less as possible, I don't think Buss isn't eager to pay someone 15-17 a year because the Lakes are already near the top.

Heck Cuban wants to spend a less a possible.

Luckily, Buss isn't as reckless as James Dolan.

But I think Buss wants to fit the team need a cheaply as possible so Tayshuan Prince or even Shane Battier and Bobby Jackson will fit the bill.

He's gotta resign Turiaf and Sasha but will soon have to give the max to Andrew Bynum while paying Kobe who can opt out next year and is still on the hook for 17 million to Gasol.
lakefansac

Postby kray28 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:34 am

As much as Dr. Buss is a great owner, he also is known as a tightwad, penny pincher who wants to spend as less as possible.

That's a pretty gross mischaracterization. Especially when you realize how much he's been overpaying Lamar all these years (not his choice or fault as that was another Pat Riley albatross contract that Riley dumped on us for Shaq), or how he went headlong into luxury tax territory by getting Gasol.

Suddenly, being smart and trying to spend your money on players who are worth it, makes you a tightwad and a penny pincher? What, you want us to be the Knicks or something?
kray28

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:36 am

lakefansac,

Being savvy with your money and not throwing it away on mediocre talent is called being a smart business man. Phoenix's owner could be characterized as a "tightwad" or "penny pincher". That was just a poor choice of words on your part is all.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakefansac on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:46 am

LOL. :man10: Now I feel like those people who criticize Kobe but are quickly countered because they picked on someone on the team or organization.

Grow a pair guys. Yes, I called him an tightwad and penny pincher.

Big deal, its economics and the makings of a good, shrewd businessman.

Other tightwads and penny pinchers are Joe and Gavin Maloof, Mark Cuban, Vince McMahon, Donald Trump, heck even Bill Gates, and a bunch of other sports owners.

You gonna cry and defend them too?

Successful businessmen, who will spend when necessary, but will cut costs when necessary and spend less as possibble no matter who you look at it

Shrewd smart businessman who cut costs = shrewd penny picnher, tightwad

Same thing no matter who you look at it.
lakefansac

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:50 am

Way to backpedal man. Whatev, it's not a big deal. Point is, you made a comment in a derogatory manner and are trying to say it meant something else.

Tightwads would rather avoid the luxury tax and lose than pay it and win (i.e. again, the Suns owner).

Sorry, but you're just incorrect.

Alright, back on topic...
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lakefansac on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:05 am

Way to backpedal as well...

It its not a big deal then why spend 3 posts that go off topic just to respond to me?

I think you're incorrect as well. Its the same thing no matter how I look at it, no matter what term is used.
lakefansac

Postby JediRekal on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:12 am

update from original source... "From what I understand the deal is more likely to happen than it is not happening."

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=285&f=2156&t=2605558&p=2

this deal makes TOOOOOOO MUCH sense to not happen. Bobs will be under the cap to make the deal work and this frees up dollars to re-sign the machine and turiaf.
Last edited by JediRekal on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JediRekal

Postby jbiggs on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:12 am

the guy who started the rumor just said this
From what I understand the deal is more likely to happen than it is not happening
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby GinoDB on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:41 am

CarolinaLakerFan wrote:Often injured + poor shooter = I'll pass

Yes, we need defense, but not at the expense of sacrificing our offense and ability to spread the floor.

hes a better shooter than Lamar and averages more points
GinoDB

Postby d_nell79 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:55 am

24kobe24bryant24 wrote:i would rather have tayshaun.

Can Tayshaun guard Pierce??? :disagree:
d_nell79

Postby westcoast21 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:37 pm

d_nell79 wrote:

Of course he can, hes one of the elite defenders in the league
westcoast21

Postby leakbrewergator on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Gerald Wallace is a straight-up superstar. He doesn't get nearly the amount of pub that he deserves.

This would be an interesting move for the Lakers. However, bringing in Wallace would pretty much relegate Ariza (who just picked up his option) to end of the bench status.

Miami ThreeTARDS- Duh Wayne 'Fraid, Piss Posh, LeBrat Shames
leakbrewergator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:19 pm

leakbrewergator wrote:Gerald Wallace is a straight-up superstar. He doesn't get nearly the amount of pub that he deserves.

This would be an interesting move for the Lakers. However, bringing in Wallace would pretty much relegate Ariza (who just picked up his option) to end of the bench status.

I don't agree with that. I think Ariza would still be the first SF off the bench whether he's backing up Odom or Wallace or any other SF we obtain in a trade for Lamar.

Ariza >>>>>>>> Vlad/Luke
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby leakbrewergator on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:33 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
leakbrewergator wrote:Gerald Wallace is a straight-up superstar. He doesn't get nearly the amount of pub that he deserves.

I don't agree with that. I think Ariza would still be the first SF off the bench whether he's backing up Odom or Wallace or any other SF we obtain in a trade for Lamar.

Ariza >>>>>>>> Vlad/Luke

I agree that Ariza is def > Vlad and Luke, but Ariza and Wallace have basically the same skill set. So you would be bringing in the same person off the bench. Plus, for some reason Phil likes Vlad and Walton and he would most likely look to them first.

Miami ThreeTARDS- Duh Wayne 'Fraid, Piss Posh, LeBrat Shames
leakbrewergator

Postby Lakerfan1445 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:46 pm

I am with you on that. He is a good defender, a pretty good shooter, and really does not get injured that much.
Lakerfan1445

Postby 24kobe24bryant24 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:20 pm

d_nell79 wrote:

are you serious??? where have you been the last 3 years...tayshaun is a very good defender and has great length.
24kobe24bryant24

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors