Rumor: Bobcats in serious trade talks with Lakers

Rumor: Bobcats in serious trade talks with Lakers

Postby Pump UP the VOLUME on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Ok. Take this in what ever way you want. I'm just reporting what I read in another forum:

Hello. Some might remember me from Last summer. Just a heads up that the Lakers and Bobcats are in serious trade talks involving Lamar Odom and Gerald Wallace again. Talks got jump started by agent Rob Pelinka a couple of days ago. As some of you know Pelinka is the agent of Kobe, Fisher, Sasha, and Gerald Wallace.

This is what another member responded:
I remember this guy from last summer. He was the one that was right on target about the 3 team trade between LA, NJ, and Charlotte that came out of the blue. But if I remember right he was also off on another trade. So who knows. But he seems to know something about Pelinka.
Pump UP the VOLUME

Postby Pump UP the VOLUME on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Some responses:

I can buy into this.

On the Bobcats end, I'm sure they are concerned with Wallace's injury history. I noted in another thread that he has experienced a myriad of injuries in just the last 18 months, which includes his 4th concussion in 4 years. With Wallace having 5 years left on his deal, they may feel he is just too risky an investment. Plus the team has 3 SFs ready to take Wallace's place in Carroll, 2007 1st round pick Jared Dudley and then returning from injury, former #3 pick Adam Morrison. Odom would fit nicely into the lineup at PF alongside C Emeka Okafor, giving them a pair of strong rebounders. Plus Odom has an expiring deal, meaning big time cap relief (that could go towards the extension for Okafor). They could go big at #9 (say Brook Lopez) and groom him off the bench for this season, then let Odom leave as a FA next summer and start Okafor and Lopez at PF/C.

On the Lakers end, Wallace is a very very good SF on both ends of the floor. Just 2 years ago he averaged 2 steals and 2 blocks a game. His offense has steadily improved and this past season he was a 19.4ppg 6rpg 3.5apg player. He plays solid D and continues to grow as a player. He fell in love with the 3 pointer this past season (and he is a mediocre 3pt shooter) so his FG% fell from 50%ish to 45%. Probably a result of his injuries preventing him from slashing as much. Also for his nice apg average, he is turnover prone as well. So he has his flaws. Injuries. 3pt shooting. Turnovers. But when you factor in his versatility (he's played SG, SF and PF - and actually spent more time at PF than SF this past season), his youth (26 in July), his improving offense, his stellar defense, it's easy to fall in love with him as a player. Plus the 5 years left on his deal is pretty manageable at about 10 mil per year. It's the same deal the Lakers were discussing for Odom.

So really what this comes down to is that the Lakers are getting a fantastic player.... but are they willing to gamble on his health?

After Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace would be next on my list. After that I would be weary of trading Odom for most of the other SF's available.

Outside of his injury history I really like Wallace. He's a mediocre 3pt shooter but he has a mid range jumpshot, he can attack the rim, he's a solid rebounder, he's becoming a solid passer, he's an excellent perimeter defender, and he's a decent post defender. He's also only about to turn 26.
Pump UP the VOLUME

Postby 10scott10 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:09 pm

I would definitly consider this deal. i like wallace, but he does have a major history of injury. however, he is a great player and pretty much a complete package on both offense and defense. but as i said, he is very injury prone, and that is an issue.

add to the fact that we have no clue about the reliability of the rumor in the first place
10scott10

Postby Radner on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:10 pm

That would be a great deal for us except he's not peaches and cream from the three.

Also, why are the Lakers trying to get a deal done now? Unless they plan to get a pick out of this, I don't understand the timing of it.
Last edited by Radner on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Radner

Postby last stand on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:10 pm

whatever i'll take a i'll believe it when i see it approach

larry brown does have major man love for lamar

they need a secondary rebounder for emeka

they need a glue guy since their entire team is filled with ball hogs

so who knows

but isn't gerald wallace one head butt from being a vegetable or something

i mean i'll be cringing everytime i see that guy go to the basket
last stand

Postby Pump UP the VOLUME on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:11 pm

Just curious. Does anyone remember how Wallace sustained his injuries? Or has a theory on why he sustained so many injuries? Concusions aren't your typical basketball injuries.

To draw a distinction, there's a great difference in risks between players who sustain a self-inflicted injury like Shaun Livingston's knee versus somone falling on your knees.

Wallace's last concussion wasn't his fault. He was elbowed in the head. And the separated shoulder he suffered in January 2007 was Jeff Foster landing on him after he dove for a ball. So these weren't self-inflicted. That said a good # of his recent injuries are basically strains and sprains, which is often attributed to his reckless style of play. His nickname is "Crash", which I guess should draw comparisons to another injury prone reckless player in Wade, whose nickname is "Flash".

One theory that actually came out before was that a lot of his injuries was due to the fact that he doesn't really stretch. So he said he was going to work on that this summer (Yoga/Pilates) to help prevent these types of muscle injuries.

Guys who play like Wade and Wallace are always going to be injury prone. It's a tough games as it is and playing reckless only adds to the risk. That said, they're amazing players because of their style and I don't see them changing a thing or fans wanting them to.

If Wallace does become a Laker, I'll be very excited..... and hoping that a summer of stretching will help him. Maybe he should consider wearing a helmet during games too. j/k

I can see Charlotte packaging Nazr Mohammed with Wallace. The trade works for Odom with a 2 for 1 swap like this.

Why would Charlotte include him? For one, it adds to their potential cap relief. He is owed 13.2 mil after next season and trading him, and Wallace, for Odom's expiring deal washes that off the books. With Odom at PF and Okafor at C and potentially drafting a C like Lopez, there isn't a great need for Nazr, who was actually pretty decent in his time in Charlotte but was in and out of the starting lineup. Add in the return of Sean May plus youngsters like Ryan Hollins and Jermareo Davidson, and they have enough depth where they can move Nazr and just take the cap savings. Moving Nazr and Wallace cuts about 15 mil off their 09-10 payroll and puts the Bobcats in great position for cap space, even with Okafor's extension.

The Lakers could take Nazr. He's a pretty good backup C with a lot of starting experience should injuries derail the team again. This past season he averaged 9.3ppg 6.9rpg 0.9bpg 52fg% in 61 games with the Bobcats. Getting him allows the team to make Mihm the 3rd string C and if they keep Turiaf, allow him to exclusively be a backup PF. Plus the Lakers won't have to use the MLE on a backup C and could use it on a SF like Posey if they still wanted to after acquiring Wallace.
Pump UP the VOLUME

Postby Helljumper on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:11 pm

I'm a big fan of Wallace. He's a great defender and very athletic but I'm not sure if he's the shooter we need at the SF position.
Helljumper

Postby Moises on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Link to the forum or it's lies.
Last edited by Moises on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moises

Postby Pump UP the VOLUME on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Charlotte has depth at SF and a lack of depth at PF. It would create future cap space and clear room for others to play. Also, Wallace has a reputation as being a bit difficult. Not Ron Artest difficult, but a bit difficult none the less.

My opinion would be:

1. Trade Odom for Smith if possible.

2. Trade Odom for Wallace if possible.

3. Don't trade Odom.

Very interesting. I was listening to sportingnews satellite radio and they said there's a rumor going around that the Bobcats contacted the Lakers about Wallace for Odom. They didn't say what the Lakers response was, but this might have legs,
Pump UP the VOLUME

Postby d.carter4kobe on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:12 pm

Always injured and cant hit the 3
d.carter4kobe

Postby FabFourLakers on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:13 pm

im not really high on this deal....g-wallace cant hit the 3...im not very sure about this...G-wallace isnt battle tested like Lamar...i'd hold off on this deal
FabFourLakers

Postby Radner on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:15 pm

I wonder if the Lakers are trying to move up in the draft to get Hill. Charlotte owns the 38th pick.
Radner

Postby last stand on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:15 pm

Radner wrote:That would be a great deal for us except he's not peaches and cream from the three.

Also, why are the Lakers trying to get a deal done now? Unless they plan to get a pick out of this, I don't understand the timing of this.

maybe lamar for gerald wallace and the #9 pick

:man10: :man10: damn i wish

i would jump all over DJ augustin or a big man
last stand

Postby BadScooter on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:16 pm

There really are pros and cons to every player we could conceivably bring in:

-Artest: good 3pt shooter, finishes at the rim well, tough as nails, plays great D / effin' crazy

-RJ: good 3pt shooter and slasher, decent defender / not Ron Artest, soft and in love with Luke

-Marion: good 3 pt shooter/slasher, solid defender / old, emo (we're not allowed to say "w----"? as in "attention w----"? It's the oldest profession in the world!)

-James Posey: good 3 pt shooter, tough vet presence, solid D / Celtic, dirty c---sucker

-Gerald Wallace: great defender, tough, slasher / so-so 3pt shot, Mr. Glass
* L.A. Lakers * N.Y. Giants * FSU Seminoles *
“‘How’d ye Jersey boys ever make it this far?’…’Listen, my son…you don’t know nothin’ ’bout where we’re from…’” – Ted Leo, 'A Bottle of Buckie'
BadScooter

Postby kray28 on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:19 pm

I wouldn't be unhappy with Gerald Wallace at all.
kray28

Postby last stand on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:19 pm

if we pull nazr muhommed out of this deal this is an excellent deal for us

odom+mihm for nazr+wallace

andrew/ nazr
pau/ ronny
wallace/ ariza
kobe/ sasha
fisher/ farmar

not bad we improve
last stand

Postby Aceiz2fresh on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:22 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:im not really high on this deal....g-wallace cant hit the 3...im not very sure about this...G-wallace isnt battle tested like Lamar...i'd hold off on this deal

hmm if not for his prior injury past,
I would be intrigued.

but iM not all on the boat with this.
We'll see how it unravels
Aceiz2fresh

Postby last stand on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:23 pm

BadScooter wrote:There really are pros and cons to every player we could conceivably bring in:

-Artest: good 3pt shooter, finishes at the rim well, tough as nails, plays great D / effin' crazy

-RJ: good 3pt shooter and slasher, decent defender / not Ron Artest, soft and in love with Luke

-Marion: good 3 pt shooter/slasher, solid defender / old, emo (we're not allowed to say "w----"? as in "attention w----"? It's the oldest profession in the world!)

-James Posey: good 3 pt shooter, tough vet presence, solid D / Celtic, dirty c---sucker

-Gerald Wallace: great defender, tough, slasher / so-so 3pt shot, Mr. Glass

if you dont remeber lamar was just as injury prone only a year ago

funny thing though

lamar doesn't drive to the basket half as recklessly as gerald wallace does

wallace has a small excuse

lamar was just brittle

thing about wallace his 3pt shot has improved year by year

thats an important testiment to his work ethic

that means a lot
last stand

Postby last stand on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Aceiz2fresh wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:im not really high on this deal....g-wallace cant hit the 3...im not very sure about this...G-wallace isnt battle tested like Lamar...i'd hold off on this deal

hmm if not for his prior injury past,
I would be intrigued.

but iM not all on the boat with this.
We'll see how it unravels

lamar has just as decorated injury past

i love lamar but to hold off on wallace because of injury is to ignore that keeping lamar is to keep a injury prone player as well

not to mention if a player is young and talented you take a chance he might not be as injury prone as we all thought

i mean the guy goes in as hard as anyone

lamar just gets injured

there is a difference
last stand

Postby Radner on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:25 pm

last stand wrote:if we pull nazr muhommed out of this deal this is an excellent deal for us

andrew/ nazr
pau/ ronny
wallace/ ariza
kobe/ sasha
fisher/ farmar

not bad we improve

The Lakers aren't going to take back Nazr unless Vlad or Luke are in it.
Radner

Postby slimjim on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Last edited by slimjim on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimjim

Postby last stand on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:26 pm

Radner wrote:
last stand wrote:if we pull nazr muhommed out of this deal this is an excellent deal for us

andrew/ nazr
pau/ ronny
wallace/ ariza
kobe/ sasha
fisher/ farmar

not bad we improve

The Lakers aren't going to take back Nazr unless Vlad or Luke are in it.

i'm 100% positive they will willingly throw vlad in there and not be too heart broken
last stand

Postby The Maverick on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:27 pm

I would absolutely LOVE Gerald Wallace as a Laker. He's one of my favourite players.
The Maverick
Australia's Lakers Rep

Postby last stand on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:30 pm

slimjim wrote:Mitch has flat out apologized to odom for all the trade rumours going around.

mitch has said they are happy with the current team. and yes, he directly said no to trading odom publicly.

just because someone calls for odom in a trade, doesn't mean it's likely going to happen.

mitch also said before this season he was very happy with the team and then memphis called

sometimes someone calls and offers you a better situation and you take it

mitch was dead serious when he said he was happy before last season and after this one

that doesn't mean if the bobcats call he will ignore them

they will scout the hell out of gerald wallace and see if hes the toughness we are missing

if not they pass if he is they go through with it

mitch will not turn down an upgrade because hes happy he wants to be even happier

mitch probably just wont aggressively pursue a lamar deal but if someone comes calling offering gerald wallace or josh smith he'll listend
last stand

Postby incontrol__ on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:32 pm

I would do:

Gerald Wallace, Nazr Mohammed, Adam Morrison, Othella Harrington, #38
For
Lamar Odom, Vladimir Radmanovic, Chris Mihm, #58

PG: Derek Fisher/ Jordan Farmar/ George Hill (#38)
SG: Kobe Bryant/ Sasha Vujacic/ Sun Yue
SF: Gerald Wallace/ Luke Walton/ Adam Morrison
PF: Pau Gasol/ Ronny Turiaf/ Othella Harrington
C: Andrew Bynum/ Nazr Mohammed

+ Ariza trade (he'd be sorta redundant with Wallace here).

As pointed out earlier, Wallace would be good, but not perfect due to his not-so-great 3 point shot, and injury prone-ness.
incontrol__

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors