Rumor of the last trade!!

Rumor of the last trade!!

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:02 am

I just got wind of a poss. rumor from dave smith, bgrant for rubin and ratliff. your thoughts
flexxdzl

Postby trodgers on Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:12 am

This has been talked about elsewhere...but I don't know if there has been a source attached to it. We'd get rid of Grant, who can't give us much, and we'd have a lineup like...

Daniels/Sasha/Parker
Kobe/Walton/Wafer
Odom/Patterson/Jones/George
Brown/Turiaf/Slava/Cook
Mihm/Ratliff/Bynum

I'd still like another somewhat proven PG but with Brown, Turiaf, Mihm, Ratliff, and sometimes Odom, we would have a very, very good big man rotation.

Maybe we can do something with George, Cook, and Vlade before Vlade retires officially. That's like 10 million dollars worth of contracts, 5 million expiring immediately, the rest gone after the season. It would be a nice break for a team right around cap.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby TomSeaver on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:02 am

I like getting Ratliff but I don't like Rueben. He stinks
TomSeaver

Postby KB24 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:09 am

TomSeaver wrote:I like getting Ratliff but I don't like Rueben. He stinks

He is an excellent defender. Since we will ease up our lockjam at SF Ruben could be a very nice bench player and he is a verteran.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Ruben and Theo

Postby ixl on Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:24 am

Pros: This would be an interesting trade and would certainly add some depth to the current squad. The Lakers originally drafted Patterson so I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing in LA again. The "Kobe Stopper" has solid one on one defense and can guard 3 different positions. Theo Ratliff has long been a premier shot blocker in the NBA averaging 2.70 blocks per game for his 12 year career. Plus he does many great things in the community.

Cons: Although his defense is an asset, Ruben Patterson has always had problems off the court and in the Locker room. It wasn't too long ago that Ruben found himself in the same situation as #8 facing rape charges. Portland has a tendency to acquire players solely on talent and never take the time to evaluate their character, which is why these most recent teams comprised of guys like Zach Randolph, Damon Stoudemire, etc. have had so many problems. As for Theo Ratliff he has been injury prone his whole career and his offensive game never really developed.

Overall with this trade the improvement on the defensive side of the ball is undeniable, but I think with the current Laker lineup, chemistry is the main concern. The additions of some youth and athleticism (Brown, Turiaf, Wafer, Bynum) will evetually lead to good defense with Phil Jackson's guidance. So if I were Mitch this trade woulld be one to put at the bottom of the list.

Just my thoughts. PEACE
Follow the Leader
ixl

Postby blackhooded on Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:21 pm

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS TRADE.

doesn't ratcliff have a huge contract left. that may mess with our 07-08 hopes to get a huge free agent.

what does rat have left on his contract?
blackhooded

Postby trodgers on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:09 pm

blackhooded wrote:I DON'T BELIEVE THIS TRADE.

doesn't ratcliff have a huge contract left. that may mess with our 07-08 hopes to get a huge free agent.

We don't have plans for cap space in 07-08 and if we do, then managment hasn't considered how we'll field 11 other players with zero money, no MLE, no LLE.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby LakersCourt on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:39 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:

We don't have plans for cap space in 07-08 and if we do, then managment hasn't considered how we'll field 11 other players with zero money, no MLE, no LLE.

LeBron James= Untouchable
Jason Kidd= too big of a contract
Shaun Livingston= perfect fit for the Triangle offense, however expiring contracts mean nothing to the Clippers who are always below the freakin' cap.

I would offer this to the Clippers, but it won't happen

1) C-Vlade Divac
2) F-Brian Cook
3) F-Brian Grant
4) Miami's First rounder(can be used as a lottery pick in later years)
5) Our first rounder in 2006

Clippers trade:
Shaun Livingston

Yes I know, lay off the weed :man10:
LakersCourt

Postby KB24 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:42 pm

LakersCourt wrote:
k0pr0phage wrote:

LeBron James= Untouchable
Jason Kidd= too big of a contract
Shaun Livingston= perfect fit for the Triangle offense, however expiring contracts mean nothing to the Clippers who are always below the freakin' cap.

I would offer this to the Clippers, but it won't happen

1) C-Vlade Divac
2) F-Brian Cook
3) F-Brian Grant
4) Miami's First rounder(can be used as a lottery pick in later years)
5) Our first rounder in 2006

Clippers trade:
Shaun Livingston

Yes I know, lay off the weed :man10:

Obviously. We won´t have a first rounder untill we are top 10 lottery. our pick belongs Atlanta.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Mark McNamara on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:45 pm

Basketball-wise this trade makes sense for both teams. POR gets rid of their contracts and gets a good-guy and fan favorite back. We get two players who really improve our team (especially defensively).
Chemistry-wise, I'm not so sure if bringing in Ruben is such a good decision. He really goes at it with Kobe, and he might be a bad influence on our young guys Bynum, Kwame and LO (who might be easily influenced) . Plus, Phil cut him a few years back because he didn't fit in the system....I wonder if Phil has changed his mind since then.
Still, I think the trade is worth it. We will really improve our lineup and I think Phil can keep the guys in check if things get out of hand.
Mark McNamara

Postby SBLaker$ on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:51 pm

No lans for 07-08? The only major salary players we'll have under contract are Kobe and Odom, making sure Brown's contract was only garanteed for 2 years is the major kicker in that deal.........I doubt we have a shot at Amare and I wouldn't want Yao even if we could get him, but we've definetly got plans for 07 - 08. :jam2:

Long time Fan, 1st time post.
"You are only a success at the moment that you do a successful act" - Tex Winter
SBLaker$

Postby SWOL on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:58 pm

NEGATIVE WE'D LOSE ANY CAP FLEXIBILTY FOR THE NEXT 4 YEARS
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby LakersCourt on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:49 pm

I heave heard through my source that if Jason Kidd's remainging contract were only 2 years and not three, they(Lakers) would easily take it. We could get Kidd right now, by probably dumping expiring contracts, but do we really want to take on his contract , which is for another 3 years!!!!

Brian Grant/Slava Medvedenko and Miami's #1 pick

New Jersey trades:

Jason Kidd :man13:

We aren't going to need cap room to sign Amare or yao, because Brown and Bynum both are going to pan out and be great players. If we had to spend money, I would want it on LeBron James, Dwayne Wade or Shaun Livingston.....that's it.
LakersCourt

Postby hZm on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:59 pm

I'd take this trade in an instant.
hZm

Postby Alpha on Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:54 pm

Ratt's is a FA in 08... Rube has a p-opt in 06 (so effectively FA 07).

If the Laker plan is to go after the FA market in the summer of 08 then no prob.

Both Ratt and Rube would provide immediate impact to the team where it is lacking the most... defense. You have Kobe, Odom and Kwame to give you points.
Alpha

Postby crucifido on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:09 pm

I'd do that trade with no problem.

Ruben can be waived or bought out.

The contracts don't line up with the cap freedom plan the Lakers are working on. But to get a guy like Ratliff for Grant, you'd have to do that deal.

C - Mihm / Ratliff / Bynum
PF - Brown / Turiaf
SF - Odom / Patterson / Jones
SG - Bryant / Walton / Wafer
PG - Daniels / Parker

(Cook / Medvedenko / George / Vujacic / Miami's #1 as further trade bait)

That is a monstrously HUGE front court.

I have no problem with that lineup and still having time to move the other pieces here and there.
"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill
crucifido
Clublakers Analyst

Postby (v)ð|<ªv€¿¦ on Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:00 pm

Hell NO
Lakers1 wrote:Well I average 2.7 farts a day,but my career high is 27. For some reason i average 17.6 farts when I stay at my cousins house.I hold the record for most consecutive farts with 9
(v)ð|<ªv€¿¦

Postby flexxdzl on Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:36 pm

ruben patt. 6mill 1 year left on his contract
theo is a fa 2007 2008

Not a bad teade ...
flexxdzl

Postby big rob 77 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:43 pm

i'd take Derek Anderson instead of Ruben Patterson along with Theo

DA would be a great back-up for Kobe and could in a pinch start alongside Kobe (as a big guard) like a Ron Harper did with MJ
L.A. LAKERS 4 LIFE

"I don't want to get into why it didn't work, what could've or should've. I'm a Laker now. Once I step on that floor, I'm wearing a Laker uniform."
big rob 77

Postby Danny Ainge on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:02 pm

big rob 77 wrote:i'd take Derek Anderson instead of Ruben Patterson along with Theo

DA would be a great back-up for Kobe and could in a pinch start alongside Kobe (as a big guard) like a Ron Harper did with MJ
:bow:
Big props to UGOTOWN3D for the avy.
DA fan club:UGOTOWN3D, Realm Of Shadows, DarthRekal, SOAD, hZm
http://www.clubkingshoops.com/forums//
Danny Ainge

Postby Lakerfan36 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:08 pm

that would be awesome :jam2: :jam2:

AD
KOBE
ODOM
KWAME
RATLIFF

and Patersson of the bench :bow: :bow: :bow:
Future PS3 owners club: Lakerfan 36, lakaboy 42, Hitemup, scheven, KrazyIvan909, flipogb, LUUUKE, Kobe The Dagger, kobe4ever

http://www.break.com/index/snlnarnia.html
Lakerfan36

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:39 pm

its not a rumor but a suggestion

Postby Sirron on Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:14 pm

Wingnut....is your avatar what happens when you use the bone saw? :man1:
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby BRANDKWAME on Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:17 pm

KB8@CL wrote:
TomSeaver wrote:I like getting Ratliff but I don't like Rueben. He stinks

He is an excellent defender. Since we will ease up our lockjam at SF Ruben could be a very nice bench player and he is a verteran.

Anyone else feel JJ and Paterson provide the same style? Outside jumpers, hard nosed defense...but JJ comes much cheaper.

I'd do this deal...when do ratliff and pattersons contacts end? If its the same time as Grant's, then its all plus.
BRANDKWAME

Postby nosebleedbum on Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:30 pm

[quote"Lakercourt"]I heave heard through my source that if Jason Kidd's remainging contract were only 2 years and not three, they(Lakers) would easily take it. We could get Kidd right now, by probably dumping expiring contracts, but do we really want to take on his contract , which is for another 3 years!!!! [/quote]

You better lose that ill-informed "source" of yours and use this thing called the internet. There's a salary database in hoopshype.com. In case it's too many clicks for you here's what it said:

Player ......2005/06................2006/07............... 2007/08..........2008/09

Kidd.....$16,440,000........$18,084,000..........$19,728,000.......$21,372,000

It doesn't make sense finacially now but if it's in the last year of Phil's contract, bring him on.
nosebleedbum

Next

Return to Sourced Rumors