some draft buzz that gets me a little nervous

some draft buzz that gets me a little nervous

Postby live and die in LA on Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:12 am

from the ny daily news:

Draft buzz

In Tuesday's draft, the top two picks are almost guaranteed to be Utah big man Andrew Bogut to Milwaukee at No. 1 and North Carolina's heralded freshman Marvin Williams to Atlanta at No. 2. From then on, it's a real crapshoot.

The Blazers are open to dealing the No. 3 pick, but they've been insisting that backup Ruben Patterson be part of the deal. Few teams want to take on Patterson's baggage.

The Lakers have been considering a move up to No. 3 to land Illinois PG Deron Williams. They need to upgrade the spot and Phil Jackson likes big guards. Caron Butler and Devean George have been mentioned in a potential trade.

The Lakers have also talked to Indiana about trading for Jonathan Bender and, for the first time, the Pacers are open to moving him. He's been one of the great teases of recent years, since heading right to the pros from high school as the fifth pick overall in 1999. Even if he did beat Bird at games of H-O-R-S-E, he has never been able to stay healthy. He missed 75 games this past season and 182 games in his first five seasons, out of a possible 410.

The Pacers have always been opposed to moving him because they know that you can give up too quickly on a high schooler. They got the benefit of that when they got Jermaine O'Neal from Portland after he had given the Blazers four uneventful seasons.

But the Pacers have talked to the Lakers about sending the 6-11 Bender to L.A., with the 17th pick, for Slava Medvedenko and the No. 10. With the 10th pick, the Pacers would hope to land UConn's Charlie Villanueva. But with Isiah Thomas looking to go big, Villaneuva might be gone at No. 8 to the Knicks before Indiana gets to pick. He and Texas prep star Gerald Green work out for Thomas today. Thomas has been sending out signals that he will take Arizona big man Channing Frye at No. 8, but that might be to force Golden State to make a deal. The Warriors are said to be looking to get Frye at No. 9.

im hoping the bender trade isnt that one. most likely that is just the ny daily news being stupid.
live and die in LA

Postby trodgers on Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:55 am

Yeah. I'm not too keen on that either. I have no problem getting rid of Slava...he's junk. But that's quite a price.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BadNewsBear on Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:07 am

Meh, probably Vescey. Nothing to worry about.
BadNewsBear

Postby nameant on Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:53 am

i just read that too. if that's the deal for bender..it's not worth it. it's basically like trading out no. 10 pick...for the no. 17 pick. and then trading bender...for slava. bender might be better and have more "potential"...but he's always hurt..and how long can you say "he's still young". that is a bad trade. if we just kept the 10 we could surely pick up a player who would have the same instant impact as bender or more. i'm not really expecting much from bender..and i think the deal is mainly for the 17th pick...but giving up the 10 isnt worth it..
nameant

Postby Mark McNamara on Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:26 pm

I don't like it either. Moving down 7 spots just to get Bender? I guess it's clear that Mitch does not think anyone available at #10 is worth being picked that high. Hopefully Bender can reach his potential with us.
Mark McNamara

Postby Coville on Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:42 pm

haha, if that happens mitch should just laugh in larry birds face and hang up the phone.

10 and slava for 17 and bender.

please, bender hasnt played a full season since....ever! i dont think he has played a season and not been hurt...
Coville

Postby LOUIE04 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:31 pm

Hey what up do u guys think that even if the Lakers get the #3 they will be dumb enough to get DWilliams just because Phil likes big PG's or u think they will go with the best potential player PAUL!!!!???? :man1: :man12:
LOUIE04

Postby alberto on Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:23 am

The funny part is, Williams isn't even that tall. There isn't a big difference between 6'3 and 6'1.
alberto

Postby alex58 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:24 am

I'm afraid the draft will come and go , and the Lakers will practice their usual habit of disappointing every one and never do any thing at all.
Think about it guys , what is the chance of making any trade before the draft? In my opinion 10%, hope i'm wrong :man7:
Magic , the only way to bring back the go0d old days.
alex58

Postby Jim on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:18 am

If the rumors that Chris Webber is going to be a victim of the luxury tax then I'd be willing to take him for the MLE, although I'm not sure he'd accept it. Worst comes to worst our rookie with our 2nd 1st rounder is going to be starting a little early supported by Brian Grant so it wouldn't be that horrible of a risk. If it works out then we've got a very good PF for three years.
Jim

Postby Dime Dropper on Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:37 pm

k0pr0phage wrote:Yeah. I'm not too keen on that either. I have no problem getting rid of Slava...he's junk. But that's quite a price.

I don't like any of those trades involving Indiana. Jack is probably gone by the 17th, and Bender is another Cook, less durable. As for trading up for the 3rd, I don't think it's necessary. Slava, Devean, Butler, and Grant could be major trade bait post draft, not to mention we could snag Felton at 10th or Diogu can be picked as well. Now, we're forgetting one thing: We do have Sasha, who is a perfect fit for Phil Jackson. I'm certain he's gonna be played a lot more.
Dime Dropper

Postby Smallz on Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:32 pm

i dont think we've seen enough of bender to just label him as another cook. i mean, at the very least he's got like 10x more athleticism.
Smallz

Return to Sourced Rumors