Sun Sentinel: Trading Marion the best solution for the Heat?

Postby Larry14r on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 am

Amongst:Kings wrote:YES PLEASE

Lamar goes to a comfortable situtation and we get a guy who fits perfectly.

Well Marion better get one thing straight here is that we won't be the man on this team, and if he acts up then he will get Dr Buss' foot up his butt, and then he'll be dealt. Also is it possible to make it Odom and Luke for Marion, and Banks.
Larry14r

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:21 am

Marion as a basketball player and a fit on this team would be absolutely perfect, but I'm not sure I can overlook the fact that he wants to be overpaid, has a selfish off-court persona, and already wasn't happy being the 3rd best player on an elite team.

I'll be excited if we pull this off, but I doubt it's happening because Mitch & Dr. Buss aren't exactly known for taking chances on players with these types of character issues since they were burnt by Rodman back in the day. This team was so close to winning it all, I think we'll see RJ or Wallace before Marion.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 am

Lakerman JSJ wrote:Marion as a basketball player and a fit on this team would be absolutely perfect, but I'm not sure I can overlook the fact that he wants to be overpaid, has a selfish off-court persona, and already wasn't happy being the 3rd best player on an elite team.

I'll be excited if we pull this off, but I doubt it's happening because Mitch & Dr. Buss aren't exactly known for taking chances on players with these types of character issues since they were burnt by Rodman back in the day. This team was so close to winning it all, I think we'll see RJ or Wallace before Marion.

If Vescey's report on Artest is true, I think we see him before any of them. :man1:

The best part of the emplay story is we dump Walton. I don't know. It's almost worth taking the chance on Marion if we can dump Luke. We'd only have to find a sucker for Radman at that point. :mhihi:
Savory Griddles

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:32 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:Marion as a basketball player and a fit on this team would be absolutely perfect, but I'm not sure I can overlook the fact that he wants to be overpaid, has a selfish off-court persona, and already wasn't happy being the 3rd best player on an elite team.

If Vescey's report on Artest is true, I think we see him before any of them. :man1:

The best part of the emplay story is we dump Walton. I don't know. It's almost worth taking the chance on Marion if we can dump Luke. We'd only have to find a sucker for Radman at that point. :mhihi:

No problem. Just send this clip to all other NBA teams and we'll have our pick of the LeBron's & CP3's of the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7n41CURKc

:mhihi: :mhihi: :mhihi:
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby mapabu1 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Odom/Walton for Marion. Getting rid of Luke while getting Marion please Mitch do that deal
mapabu1

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:

No problem. Just send this clip to all other NBA teams and we'll have our pick of the LeBron's & CP3's of the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP7n41CURKc

:mhihi: :mhihi: :mhihi:

:man10: :man10: :man10:

I swear. That dunk is so typical of Radman.
Savory Griddles

Postby lakerman24 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:49 pm

Just announced on the loose cannon show, trade talks are heating up between Lakers and Heat
lakerman24

Postby wallangong on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:03 pm

lakerman24 wrote:Just announced on the loose cannon show, trade talks are heating up between Lakers and Heat

although i would prefer for Artest to opt out and sign for the MLE, this deal is easily my 2nd choice. i think part of Marion's problem was he wasn't getting recognition in a small market. even as a 3rd option in LA, he'll still get a ton more recognition here.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 pm

lakerman24 wrote:Just announced on the loose can--

That's where I stopped reading. Thanks for reporting it though.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:26 pm

Maybe Artest is opting out to sign a new deal in a s&t?

Artest for 8 million + Kenny Thomas to LA

Marion to Sac

Odom and Walton to Miami

:man1: :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby TrojanMan DMG on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:

Not as bad as Hairpiece Hamilton reporting it "This just in on the newsmaker hotline...I sound like a tool who is about to choke to death on my own saliva every 30 minutes so much so that I force people to change the station because they don't want to hear an old man die on the air. SHOW ME YOUR LIGHTNING BOLTS!"
TrojanMan DMG

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:18 pm

TrojanMan DMG wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

Not as bad as Hairpiece Hamilton reporting it "This just in on the newsmaker hotline...I sound like a tool who is about to choke to death on my own saliva every 30 minutes so much so that I force people to change the station because they don't want to hear an old man die on the air. SHOW ME YOUR LIGHTNING BOLTS!"

"LIGHT UP THIS HOCKEY HOTLINE!!!"
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby TrojanMan DMG on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
TrojanMan DMG wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

DAMMIT OCEANSIDE!!
TrojanMan DMG

Postby Savory Griddles on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:35 pm

TrojanMan DMG wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:
TrojanMan DMG wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

DAMMIT OCEANSIDE!!

"FROM BAJA TO THE CANADIAN ROCKIES..."

As if anyone is listening to Hacksaw in the Canadian Rockies. :man10: :man10: :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby Calistrtballr on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:53 pm

sticky wrote:according to emplay, miami may be interested in ODOM N WALTON for MARION!!!!!!! DO IT MITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9188

If thats the deal, you pull the trigger on it in a heartbeat. Getting rid of Walton or Vlad is a must
Calistrtballr

Postby TrojanMan DMG on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Calistrtballr wrote:
sticky wrote:according to emplay, miami may be interested in ODOM N WALTON for MARION!!!!!!! DO IT MITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9188

If thats the deal, you pull the trigger on it in a heartbeat. Getting rid of Walton or Vlad is a must

Is there a preference to move Vlad or Luke? I say Luke. He regressed as a player last year. He has no real redeeming qualities other than "his basketball IQ." And I saw that boy making some bonehead Jordan Famar type passes last year that made me want to drop kick the tv. Plus Vlad has 3 years on his contract vs 5 years left on Luke's deal.

On a side note what is the chance that we resign Marion for a reasonable deal? I mean he makes $17 million now, I say he is not worth more than $12. I know the market is showing itselt to be pretty tight right now. Is he too much of a knucklehead to take a 4 year $48 million contract with a player option for a 5th year, or is he still trying to get max money? From his stance last year, I don't know. I mean he was happy to be traded from the #1 in the west seed Phoenix, to the last place Heat. That either says he hated it in Phoenix and really wanted out, or he honestly thought that Miami would re-sign him for max money (because it is obvious that Phoenix was not going to).
TrojanMan DMG

Postby Calistrtballr on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:43 pm

TrojanMan DMG wrote:Is there a preference to move Vlad or Luke? I say Luke. He regressed as a player last year. He has no real redeeming qualities other than "his basketball IQ." And I saw that boy making some bonehead Jordan Famar type passes last year that made me want to drop kick the tv. Plus Vlad has 3 years on his contract vs 5 years left on Luke's deal.

On a side note what is the chance that we resign Marion for a reasonable deal? I mean he makes $17 million now, I say he is not worth more than $12. I know the market is showing itselt to be pretty tight right now. Is he too much of a knucklehead to take a 4 year $48 million contract with a player option for a 5th year, or is he still trying to get max money? From his stance last year, I don't know. I mean he was happy to be traded from the #1 in the west seed Phoenix, to the last place Heat. That either says he hated it in Phoenix and really wanted out, or he honestly thought that Miami would re-sign him for max money (because it is obvious that Phoenix was not going to).

definitely, losing walton would b the best case scenario. Not too worried about marion's contract demands, he can make money from endorsements here, resign him for ~10mil
Calistrtballr

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Calistrtballr wrote:
TrojanMan DMG wrote:Is there a preference to move Vlad or Luke? I say Luke. He regressed as a player last year. He has no real redeeming qualities other than "his basketball IQ." And I saw that boy making some bonehead Jordan Famar type passes last year that made me want to drop kick the tv. Plus Vlad has 3 years on his contract vs 5 years left on Luke's deal.

definitely, losing walton would b the best case scenario. Not too worried about marion's contract demands, he can make money from endorsements here, resign him for ~10mil

I don't know if it's that easy man. I hope you're right, but Marion seems to have illusions of grandeur and an over-inflated sense of self worth.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby leftymo on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:48 pm

mapabu1 wrote:Odom/Walton for Marion. Getting rid of Luke while getting Marion please Mitch do that deal

If the Lakers are going to make a move based on skills and paper.

This one makes the most sense of all deals.

Marion gives LA what it needs with Pau & Bynum up front. It also dumps one of our excess SF's.

Miami wants Odom. Marion is the best fit for our system.
leftymo

Postby GinoDB on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:54 pm

leftymo wrote:
mapabu1 wrote:Odom/Walton for Marion. Getting rid of Luke while getting Marion please Mitch do that deal

If the Lakers are going to make a move based on skills and paper.

This one makes the most sense of all deals.

Marion gives LA what it needs with Pau & Bynum up front. It also dumps one of our excess SF's.

Miami wants Odom. Marion is the best fit for our system.

he is also closer than any other SF to being able to do the things that Odom excels at and he does what Odom doesn't like shooting and defense and still has length
GinoDB

Postby last stand on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:29 pm

it would be worth it just to get rid of luke hell throw in vlad and we'll sadly take haslem off their hands :man1:
last stand

Postby Ludachris on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Now that most people have said they like Marion for Odom, let's discuss this - does he flourish in a structured system like the triangle or does he get frustrated and become a problem after 1 or 2 seasons?

I think there are players that thrive in the system (like Gasol, Kobe, Fish, and Vujacic) but some players (like Radman and maybe Odom) need a more free flowing offense. How do you think Marion would adapt?

That's what kills me about some of the trades people on here talk about - no thought goes into whether or not some players will fit into the system well. People just like to throw together all-star lists.
Ludachris

Postby wallangong on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Ludachris wrote:Now that most people have said they like Marion for Odom, let's discuss this - does he flourish in a structured system like the triangle or does he get frustrated and become a problem after 1 or 2 seasons?

I think there are players that thrive in the system (like Gasol, Kobe, Fish, and Vujacic) but some players (like Radman and maybe Odom) need a more free flowing offense. How do you think Marion would adapt?

That's what kills me about some of the trades people on here talk about - no thought goes into whether or not some players will fit into the system well. People just like to throw together all-star lists.

i think the movement and passing associated with the Tri is perfect for Marion. he's one of the best, if not the best slasher in the NBA. Combine that with Phil allowing the team to run, you put him on the wing on the break... :man4:
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby JSM on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 am

Miami Herald: With Shawn Marion and the Heat expected to resume contract talks shortly, several teams -- including the Clippers and Golden State -- have expressed interest in acquiring him. The issue, though, will be whether any offers will be more appealing than keeping Marion long-term or allowing his deal to expire next summer to sign Utah's Carlos Boozer.

Though Pat Riley said he wants to keep Marion, Miami's first offer wasn't close to Marion's wishes.

The Warriors like Marion, 30, and likely would deal Al Harrington (due $9.2 million and $10.2 million over the next two years), but appear reluctant to include restricted free agent center Andris Biedrins in a sign-and-trade. Point guard Monta Ellis told the Warriors that Miami is among teams he would love to be traded to, but Golden State hasn't been receptive. A Marion-Warriors scenario might need a third team.

The Clippers like Marion (due $17.8 million in 2008-09) and were willing to do a sign-and-trade involving Elton Brand and Marion after it became clear Brand wouldn't re-sign. But Brand was headed to Philadelphia by then, and the Clippers now lack appealing assets to acquire Marion.

Toronto pursued Marion before the draft, but the Heat declined a package including T.J. Ford (then dealt to Indiana) and wasn't interested in Jermaine O'Neal (who went to Toronto in that trade and has a big contract). Chicago likes Marion and likely would be willing to trade Larry Hughes and another piece, but Hughes' contract is unappealing (two years left at $12.8 million and $13.6 million).

The most logical hypothetical would be Marion to the Lakers for Lamar Odom (one year left at $14.5 million) and Chris Mihm ($2.5 million), but the Lakers first said publicly they're keeping Odom, and now, according to the Sacramento Bee, have offered Odom for Sacramento's Ron Artest. A Marion/Artest trade would hurt Miami because the Heat would have to assume the last two years of either Kenny Thomas' or Shareef Abdur-Rahim's bloated contracts.

With sentiment growing that Mario Chalmers could become a starting point guard eventually, the Heat has less incentive to assume large long-term contracts such as Kirk Hinrich's (four years, $36.5 million left).

So Miami's most affordable point-guard trade options include Memphis' Kyle Lowry (one year, $1.6 million), New Orleans' Mike James (two years, $12.5 million), Houston's Steve Francis (one year, $2.6 million) or Bobby Jackson (one year, $6 million), and Seattle's Luke Ridnour (two years, $13 million), with New York's Stephon Marbury or Indiana's Jamaal Tinsley in play if they're bought out.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Jajwa on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:56 am

So it appears that they really believe in Chalmers.

I still think this is the most logical long-term deal available. We'll see what happens. This is a trade I could see happening late in the year (August, September).
Jajwa

PreviousNext

Return to Sourced Rumors