Sun Sentinel: Trading Marion the best solution for the Heat?

Postby Psychobroker on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:33 am

Chicano wrote:^ You honestly believe he'll ever be the same?

I know I don't. I think EVEN IF fully healthy, he just won't be the same solid/quality player he once was in this league anymore. The athleticism that shined so brightly for him in several aspects of his game once such as shotblocking, finishing at the rim aggresive/explosive with powerful/athletic finishes, outjumping, outworking, and sometimes outhustling his man for rebounds, loose balls, tip ins, etc... all that imo.. just won't be the same EVER anymore for him.

It does suck very much to say the least and I personally feel bad for him and our Lakers for the loss we had to endure with his unfortunate luck. I personally enjoyed watching him very much in his best days, but they seem to be long gone now fully healthy or not, unfortunately, in my eyes at least.

Muscle memory is a wonderful thing. If healthy, I think Chris just needs to work on his conditioning, which I am sure he's been doing, and he'll be back to borderline starter material and giving you 12 / 7 / 2 every night. I think he can do it.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby sleepin4matty on Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:49 am

Psychobroker wrote:

I know I don't. I think EVEN IF fully healthy, he just won't be the same solid/quality player he once was in this league anymore. The athleticism that shined so brightly for him in several aspects of his game once such as shotblocking, finishing at the rim aggresive/explosive with powerful/athletic finishes, outjumping, outworking, and sometimes outhustling his man for rebounds, loose balls, tip ins, etc... all that imo.. just won't be the same EVER anymore for him.

It does suck very much to say the least and I personally feel bad for him and our Lakers for the loss we had to endure with his unfortunate luck. I personally enjoyed watching him very much in his best days, but they seem to be long gone now fully healthy or not, unfortunately, in my eyes at least.

Muscle memory is a wonderful thing. If healthy, I think Chris just needs to work on his conditioning, which I am sure he's been doing, and he'll be back to borderline starter material and giving you 12 / 7 / 2 every night. I think he can do it.

I hope you're right but I doubt that you are (I'm quite cynical when it comes to injuries). If you are right then there isn't a team in the league that can boast returning 2 healthy strong 7 footers to their lineup. That's scary.
sleepin4matty

Postby Showboat on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:10 am

What would be if we do a 3-team-trade.. beside caps and taxes of which i have no idea..

Lakers:
Incoming: Ron Artest
Outgoing: Lamar Odom

Heat:
Incoming: Lamar Odom
Outgoing: Shawn Marion

Queens:
Incoming: Shawn Marion
Outgoing: Ron Artest

What would you guys think of that? would that be possible in reality and would you like i?
Showboat

Postby Aceiz2fresh on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:25 am

as long as we get one of em..
these heat/kings swap are heating up and don't sound good to me
Aceiz2fresh

Postby sleepin4matty on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:15 pm

Showboat wrote:What would be if we do a 3-team-trade.. beside caps and taxes of which i have no idea..

Lakers:
Incoming: Ron Artest
Outgoing: Lamar Odom

Heat:
Incoming: Lamar Odom
Outgoing: Shawn Marion

Queens:
Incoming: Shawn Marion
Outgoing: Ron Artest

What would you guys think of that? would that be possible in reality and would you like i?

That would be the basic trade. I believe SAC would have to include someone else to match salary since Artest makes only $7.4M and Marion makes about $17M but those are the major players that would be involved. SAC wants to include Kenny Thomas in almost any Artest trade because he sucks and makes lots of money.
sleepin4matty

Postby Chicano on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:01 pm

sleepin4matty wrote:
Psychobroker wrote:

I hope you're right but I doubt that you are
Co-sign.
Chicano

Postby Jajwa on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:54 pm

I've begun calculating the estimated cost of Marion versus Artest.

The general assumptions:

1. Mihm goes in both trades.
2. We are in the luxury tax for every year these guys are Lakers.
3. That we should calculate based on a four year deal, even if Artest may play for one or two more years than Marion.

I expect Marion to get 12m maximum from the Lakers per season. He was apparently asking for about 13m from the Heat, so 12m isn't that big of a deal to him if those demands are true.

I expect Ron Artest to ask for 11-12m deal, probably resulting in a 11.5m deal based on the fact that Maggette a player with far worse defense but less "issues" received.

So in comparison, it's 12m versus 11.5m. Now the Kenny Thomas deal next season will cost Buss 17m or so in cash. The difference in Marion's salary likely would be covered by his ability to play PF as well reducing the need and cost for a very good backup PF. So all in all Buss has to look at the situation and think:

- One guy has plenty of issues but has a great support group here.
- One guy fits better into the team's offensive plans, isn't quite as good defensively, and has acted selfishly but stays out of trouble. Also this guy will cost me 15-17m less long-term and a deal may be more readily available to me.

I get the feeling we'll go for Marion despite the fit that Ron Artest brings to the team. Tough choice, either would be ideal although Marion can be more easily traded if things go sour. It wouldn't be hard to find a team to take on what will likely be a 3 or 4 year deal for just an expiring contract.
Jajwa

Postby dj vitus on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:28 am

All we need is either Marion or Artest and we'll be better than the Celtics.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby L4L on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:06 am

DO IT....... DeeWayne? :man10:
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Jajwa on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:11 pm

The less players we re-sign the more feasible this trade gets. If Crawford can effectively take 5 mpg off the bench at SG and Ariza maybe another few then we may very well see Buss open the pocket books for this kind of a move.
Jajwa

Postby L4L on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Post Marion ideas here.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Re: Sun Sentinel: Trading Marion the best solution for the Heat?

Postby Whatthef? on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:31 am

Is Marion still available? With Odumb popping off about not coming off the bench, it is time for him to go for a legit small forward. :jam2:
Whatthef?

Previous

Return to Sourced Rumors